• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you think Anthem will get a downgrade graphically?

Tenshin

Ithink it will but not ubisoft watchdogs level, pretty sure framerate will take a hit on vanilla ps4 and xbox.

scoobs

Oh god yes. I wouldn't even be surprised if we never see this "level" or any form of it in the final game.

Ehker

This was my response.

Read the underlined. I never dismissed you saying that anyone should be skeptical.
I don't understand you at all. Leeh himself suggested people shouldn't be skeptical, which you went after me for. Again, here is the qutoe:
NeoGAF, the depression of gaming.

Seriously, what's up with everyone? The game was clarified to be running on a 1X with CBR; pop-in is seen in the trailer and you all still claim it's rendered on a stupid PC.
Now the arguement is what it was rendered on. It doesn't matter! Killzone 2 was claimed by Jack Tretton stating it was ”real gameplay everybody's seeing out there," and that was false. We should be skeptical, and not be like Leeh calling us "the depression of gaming" because we don't automatically believe some E3 trailer.

Prove them wrong about their belief by using facts or sound arguments or stop.
Again, I feel like I'm giving all the proof I can. The burden of proof isn't on me, it's on the people making the trailer.

dogs4mevz.gif

Yepp team downgrade.

but that's house ubisoft though. Practically famous for it.

I think it will be pushed back far enough to hit next generation platforms. So its visuals may be intact there. But otherwise, yeah, it's not going to look like that on any current gen platform.

How many times are y'all going to do this with Frostbite games only to be proven wrong?

Frostbite isn't going to handle those stormy gameplay sections with that level of fidelity. Everything else, sure. Maybe. But those storms aren't going to fly.

Lets go over the possible causes for concern and confidence and try to make a judgement under that context.

Points indicating possibility of a downgrade:

• The demonstration did not consist of live gameplay and was seemingly prerecorded

• Highly scripted nature of the gameplay shown indicates this is very much a tailor made vertical slice

• Odd camera movement/direction during various transition scenes are somewhat suspect and could indicate at the very least a heavily directed and tailored video

• The two most recent games developed by the sutdio (Bioware) and built with Frostbite (Andromeda, Inquisition) were downgraded on release in comparison to early footage

• General industry trends towards downgrades following initial reveals

• The scope and breadth of the game is immense making such intricate detail and graphical representation throughout quite the ordeal

• Previous games released using this engine that have met original expectation were both produced by a totally different development team and represented a completely different scope and scale despite this new project appearing just as or perhaps even more graphically impressive

• The game still has a substantial amount of development time remaining during which any number of graphical changes could be required during optimization since this is generally one of the final processes of development.

Points indicating possibility of no downgrade:

• Some recent games released utilizing the same engine have met or exceeded graphical expectations from their respective initial reveals

• Analysis shows that, at the very least, some of the demo was indeed running real time on HW

• Publisher states that this demo was running on XB1X HW

Looking at this breakdown (undoubtedly I've missed some points) its clear that evidence heavily skews towards one conclusion over the other. Even assuming the statement from the Publisher is indeed believable, which I think many would argue against, and that what was shown was running on an XB1X theres still the matter of his being such a highly scripted prerecorded verticle slice which would tend to indicate it would not be representative of the actual gameplay experience. Every point you could consider as indicating it might not be downgraded has a some sort of caveat involved. Couple this with the industry wide trend and it it seems substantially more likely that we will see some downgrades graphically before the game releases next holiday season. At this stage there does not seem to be much at all to promote any sort of confidence that the end product will indeed acheive the graphical benchmark of the initial gameplay reveal trailer. That's not to say it couldn't come out and look like it did in the reveal. It certainly could. Its just that this seems far less likely than the alternative given the context. So, to me, its pretty baffling that so many are insisting it will, without a shadow of a doubt, not see some significant graphical changes.

Dremorak

Banned
The first part in the city? maybe. The second part that was probably closer to actual gameplay? Probably not. There wasnt anything there that looked beyond what is possible visually

I don't understand you at all. Leeh himself suggested people shouldn't be skeptical, which you went after me for. Again, here is the qutoe:

I "went after you" for being rude to a fellow Gaffer in hopes of encouraging polite discourse between you two (and others) so that something positive could come of it.

Now the arguement is what it was rendered on. It doesn't matter! Killzone 2 was claimed by Jack Tretton stating it was ”real gameplay everybody's seeing out there," and that was false. We should be skeptical, and not be like Leeh calling us "the depression of gaming" because we don't automatically believe some E3 trailer.

This was always what Leeh was talking about. And again you are assuming that they didn't already take it with a healthy dose of skepticism just because they believe the devs. I don't like the "depression of gaming" part of what she wrote either but I also understand that people can have bad days or get frustrated. But I'll let them address that.

Again, I feel like I'm giving all the proof I can. The burden of proof isn't on me, it's on the people making the trailer.

The only "proof" you gave in your initial response was that Leeh was a fanboy.

You are right about the burden of proof being on the devs. Luckily, they have released a statement saying that it was played on the X.

Though, I'm sure someone as skeptical as you will remain skeptical until the game is in your hands. Nothing wrong with that, but you should realize that others are going to have varying degrees of skepticism and bars for trust.

Hopefully not but probably. Reminder the footage we saw was Pre-Alpha footage. Odds are the final product will be quite a bit different.

Ehker

The only "proof" you gave in your initial response was that Leeh was a fanboy.

You are right about the burden of proof being on the devs. Luckily, they have released a statement saying that it was played on the X.

Though, I'm sure someone as skeptical as you will remain skeptical until the game is in your hands. Nothing wrong with that, but you should realize that others are going to have varying degrees of skepticism and bars for trust.

Ok I understand, and I'm sorry. I'm still questioning Leeh and his saying we're being the "depression of gaming" for not believing this trailer.

Mozendo

Yes, while Frostbyte is definitely an engine that is capable of beautiful games BioWare isn't capable of it.
Played tons of Dragon Age Inquisition and a bit of Mass Effect Andromeda and I don't think they can pull it off.

joms5

Cmon-Son.gif

You know it will.

There's no way it will look anything near how it looked on stage at E3. Prepare for the shit storm that will ensue when footage of the retail version hits.

El_Chino

Downgrade? Maybe on some level but I'm not expecting some WatchDogs type of downgrade.

Frostbite titles tend to hold up except for Mass Effect but that game had a troubled development.

Remember when the first Battlefront was shown?

Bsigg12

From the reveal, the Xbox One X, PS4 Pro and PC versions will look like that.

The Xbox One and PS4 versions are gonna be scaled back pretty heavily.

low-G

The thing you always see with open world titles is the details per any area are scaled down. Even Witcher 3 & GTAV were downgraded. Expect a lot less details per square foot, but generally those details will still be present, just spread out over a much larger area.

Ok I understand, and I'm sorry. I'm just questioning Leeh and his saying we're being the "depression of gaming" for not believing this trailer.

For what it's worth, I am skeptical of it looking like this at release. It was the only game of the entire conference that looked like it was too good to be true by far. Nothing else came close. Everything else I saw looked underwhelming or doable on consoles except for maybe Exodus.

Then again, it was playing on an X and we have yet to see for ourselves in person what games can look like that target it's specs and on final hardware.

The only thing that gives me hope is the fact that battlefront is the best looking game period right now and that battlefront 2 looks to be just as good if not better and it was already playable on the floor (though those aren't open world games...). That and the team that is working on Anthem is Bioware's A team who are used to working on open worlds and are used to working with the frostbite engine and not the same team that worked on Andromeda who we now know was having problems working with it.

Oh, and I will be playing on PC so far more hope for me that it will end up like the video. (Knocks on wood.)

What? No, you're post history. You're 9 out of 10 friends buy Halo digitally. You lost a bet and have crying Xbox avatar. This wasn't a random pull as I've seen you post here. You love Xbox and now defend an E3 trailer claimed to be running on an XB1X. You should still question it, even if you love the brand.

So you're saying they're blatantly lying to us when they say that was an Xbox One X?

PS I don't think there will be much of a down grade if there is one at all.

Ehker

For what it's worth, I am skeptical of it looking like this at release. It was the only game of the entire conference that looked like it was too good to be true by far. Nothing else came close. Everything else I saw looked underwhelming or doable on consoles except for maybe Exodus.

Then again, it was playing on an X and we have yet to see for ourselves in person what games can look like that target it's specs and on final hardware.

The only thing that gives me hope is the fact that battlefront is the best looking game period right now and that battlefront 2 looks to be just as good if not better and it was already playable on the floor (though those aren't open world games...). That and the team that is working on Anthem is Bioware's A team who are used to working on open worlds and are used to working with the frostbite engine and not the same team that worked on Andromeda who we now know was having problems working with it.

Oh, and I will be playing on PC so far more hope for me that it will end up like the video. (Knocks on wood.)

Agreed. I want to believe also, let's hope.
So you're saying they're blatantly lying to us when they say that was an Xbox One X?

PS I don't think there will be much of a down grade if there is one at all.
I'm not saying they're blatantly lying, I'm saying we've been lied to before.

Ushay

Come on now, this is EA not Ubisoft. I don't think it will look much different to this on Xbox One X / PC. There will be obvious changes between now and then.

What other games has EA downgraded significantly? Battlefornt, Battlefield all looked excellent when released, unless anyone can show otherwise.

ZeoVGM

Banned
I still doubt that was actually gameplay.

I think it's going to look beautiful. But I also think it's going to look nearly identical on XB1X and PS4 Pro.

Stiler

It's a frostbite game.

Everyone said the same thing about Battlefront and then BF1 only to be proven wrong.

If this was a ubisoft game I'd say definitely, but it's an EA frostbite game and those are so far turned out pretty much on par with what they showed in the trailers before release.

Ehker

You know that's a cinematic trailer right?

The few snippets of gameplay that's in there is pretty accurate

Cinematic? It's not called "cinematic" and has a title of "Battlefield 1 Official Reveal Trailer" so it's obviously being passed off as how the game will look. Game companies want to give the best impression in a trailer. This isn't anything new, and all the reasons we need to want more evidence.

El_Chino

Cinematic? It's not called "cinematic" and has a title of "Battlefield 1 Official Reveal Trailer" so it's obviously being passed off as how the game will look. Game companies want to give the best impression in a trailer. This isn't anything new, and all the reasons we need to want more evidence.
Oh man.

You want to see the ACTUAL gameplay trailer? Here it is: https://youtu.be/4pY3hlQEOc0 .

And that's mostly accurate of the final game.

Top Bottom