• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why Nintendo hasn't made a sim racing game?

sublimit

Banned
Gran Turismo and Forza have been very successful for Sony and MS so why Nintendo hasn't even tried to make their own sim racing game?

Sadist

Gran Turismo and Forza have been very successful for Sony and MS so why Nintendo hasn't even tried to make their own sim racing game?
Don´t have the studio to make this kind of game.

Also, they don't seem to be interested in the genre.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Well, it's a declining genre and their own racing series vastly outsells it.

It's also totally off target for what they develop.

mcrommert

Banned
Would you seriously have a sim racing game with nintendo style cartoonish graphics???

The cognitive dissonance would be insane

sublimit

Banned
Simulation racing has nothing to do with graphical prowess or realistic art styles.

This.

Don´t have the studio to make this kind of game.

Also, they don't seem to be interested in the genre.

I could understand it if they at least tried it and weren't successful but it's seems strange to me that they chose to ignore a genre that is so popular on the competitive consoles.

Why would they? I mean is better for them to stick with what they know works on their hardware and fanbase. I don't see the traditional racing market buying into a sim racer made by Nintendo.

Simulation racing has nothing to do with graphical prowess or realistic art styles.

I don't think there is a sim racer on the market that isn't trying to be realistic or with licensed cars or without realistic portraits of real circuits.

5taquitos

There's been lots of threads over the years asking for Nintendo to explore new genres, but I've never once heard someone say "I sure wish there was a Nintendo-brand hardcore Sim racing game on my Wii U"

AmyS

At one point, people thought Nintendo (NTD perhaps?) was making a racing sim.

2mkjQQV.jpg

Realtime GameCube Cars tech demo from 2000.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzIddaOYyJA

Neff

Because

a) They're boring, and
b) The kind of market which nurses a fetish for shiny, high-grade penis extensions abandoned Nintendo long ago, and
c) That market is already cornered to death

Fandangox

Because

a) They're boring, and
b) The kind of market which nurses a fetish for shiny, high-grade penis extensions abandoned Nintendo long ago, and
c) That market is already cornered to death

Or maybe its just the audience, but hey.

Anyway, do they or don't they own Cruisin'?

L Thammy

By sim racing game, do you mean something that get licenses from real world car manufacturers? Because even if Nintendo wanted to do that sort of gameplay, they could save money by just making their own vehicles.

Nintendo hasn't even released an F-Zero or Wave Race in years...
In my opinion either of which would be much better, since few companies are making racing games in those styles any more.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
They'll make a car sim where you have to deal with the stress of traffic and learn to go six seconds without checking your mobile phone while driving.

Jb

They don't have the talent, the market is crowded and the Nintendo audience doesn't care about racing sims.

Kadin

Having played both the GT series and Forze, I'll gladly stick with Mario Kart for my racing needs. I'm not saying racing sims don't have their place; a lot of people enjoy them. It's just not something I enjoy myself. I can't take that stuff too seriously, I need some fun involved and Nintendo's racing games have always been the best suited for me.

Opiate

I think it matters quite a bit, and I suspect a sim racer with notably subpar graphics would fair very poorly in the marketplace.

I mean, it would technically qualify as a sim racer, if that's all we're concerned about. An economically unsuccessful one, though.

Top Bottom