• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (March 2015)

Orujv.jpg

Join www.goodreads.com and join the NeoGAF Group.

Support GAF authors:
aidan (Hugo Award winner): http://aidanmoher.com/blog/
AngmarsKing701: Ahvarra: The Heart of the World
cosmicblizzard: Freeze Kill
Elfforkusu: Wrath of Flight
Fidelis Hodie: Derek Agons Slays a Dragon
H.Protagonist: Dead Endings
Plasticine Live Undead
whatevermort: The Explorer

GAF Recommends!

Education/History
Book Recommendations for Particular Areas of Study
History Books
Best Factual Books on War (WWI/WW2 and Beyond)

General/Fiction
Horror Fiction
Books of 2010
Lengthy Books
Summer Reading
Must Read Books That Came Out in the Past 10 Years
Scary Books
Non-western literature
Novels with great world building
Top 5 Books of 2013 as voted by GAF
Historical Fiction

Sci-fi/Fantasy
NPR Top 100 of Sci-Fi/Fantasy as of 2011
Best Sci-Fi You've Ever Read
Sci-Fi Novel Series
Forgotten Sci-Fi Novels
Space Sci-Fi and Fantasy
Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books
Fantasy and Science Fiction That is Worth Reading
Fast Pace Action Sci-Fi/Fantasy Books
Dresden's Favorite Sci-Fi and Fantasy
Cyberpunk Fiction
Fantasy Recommendations
Modern Fantasy and Hidden Gems
Fantasy Books
Epic Fantasy
Fantasy Literature
Post-apocalpytic Books
The Best Science Fiction/Space Opera Books

Explore
The 40 Best Sci-Fi Books According to Reddit
100 Books Every High School Student Should Read
100 Greatest Sci Fi Novels
100 Best Novels
The Sci-Fi Masterworks List
Africa's 100 Best Books of the 20th Century

Kindle Links
Free Kindle Books
Amazon Kindle Search - set alerts for free or price drop Kindle books

Online Book Stores
http://www.bookdepository.com/ Free shipping World Wide, cheap.
http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/ Free shipping Word Wide, cheap.

Sci-Fi & Fantasy
http://fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com/
http://aidanmoher.com/blog/
http://fantasybookcritic.blogspot.com/

Free Audio Books
http://podcastle.org/ Free Fantasy audio books.
http://www.archive.org/details/audio All sorts of stuff.

Shelved Threads
What are you reading? (February 2015)
What are you reading? (January 2015)
What are you reading? (December 2014)
What are you reading? (November 2014)
What are you reading? (October 2014)
What are you reading? (September 2014)
What are you reading? (August 2014)
What are you reading? (July 2014)
What are you reading? (June 2014)
What are you reding? (May 2014)
What are you reading? (April 2014)
What are you reading? (March 2014)
What are you reading? (February 2014)
What are you reading? (January 2014)
What are you reading? (December 2013)
What are you reading? (November 2013)
What are you reading? (October 2013)
What are you reading? (September 2013)
What are you reading? (August 2013)
What are you reading? (July 2013)
What are you reading? (June 2013)
What are you reading? (May 2013)
What are you reading? (April 2013)
What are you reading? (March 2013)
What are you reading? (February 2013)
What are you reading? (January 2013)
What are you reading? (December 2012)
What are you reading? (November 2012)
What are you reading? (October 2012)
What are you reading? (September 2012)
What are you reading? (August 2012)
What are you reading? (July 2012)
What are you reading? (June 2012)
What are you reading? (May 2012)
What are you reading? (April 2012)
What are you reading? (March 2012)
What are you reading? (February 2012)
What are you reading? (January 2012)
What are you reading? (December 2011)
What are you reading? (November 2011)
What are you reading? (October 2011)
What are you reading? (September 2011)
What are you reading? (August 2011)
What are you reading? (July 2011)
What are you reading? (June 2011)
What are you reading? (May 2011)
What are you reading? (April 2011)
What are you reading (March 2011)
What are you reading (February 2011)
What are you reading (January 2011)

What are you reading (December 2010)
What are you reading? (November 2010)

What are you reading? (October 2010)

What are you reading? (September 2010)

What are you reading? (August 2010)
What are you reading? (July 2010)

What are you reading (June 2010)
What are you reading?(May 2010)
What are you reading? (April 2010)
What are you reading? (March 2010)
What are you reading? (February 2010)
What are you reading? (January 2010)
What are you reading? (December 09)
What Are You Reading (November '09)
What are you reading? (October 09)
What are you reading? (September 09)
What are you reading? (August 09)
What are you reading? (July 09)
What are you reading? (June 09)
What are you reading? (May 09)

Galactic Football League? Ha that reminds me of that one field in Mutant League Football that's floating through space.

LProtag

Finally almost done with Foucault's Pendulum.

I need a less dense read and my brain needs a huge rest. Thinking Childhood's End or A Canticle For Leibowitz next.

Mr.Swag

Banned
Just finished Broken Monsters.

What a piece of crap.

Its a murder mystery with about six different point of views, but one of them is the killer. There is an annoying sideplot with almost every character and social media is very important to the story, which is a huge negative to me as I hate social media and this current internet age we live in.
Doesn't help that the ending is a total crapfest ending spoilers:
the killer is basically Scarecrow from batman. Somehow filming his acts give him more hallucitory power

Crap crap. Do not read.

Mumei

I haven't read Childhood's End, so I can't say that A Canticle for Liebowitz is necessarily better... but it is great!

Been reading The Disaster Artist by Greg Sestero over the past few days, and heard great things about the audiobook, also by Greg Sestero, complete with impressions of Tommy Wiseau. The book flips back and forth between production on The Room on odd chapters, and Greg's pre-Room career as an actor and friendship (if you can call it that) with Tommy Wiseau on even chapters. I stopped reading at Chapter 11 and listened to the audiobook to that point, so tomorrow I'll read and listen.

I wonder what Tommy is up to nowadays.

Still plodding through Words of Radiance, which I started at the end of December. It's a good book, though frankly could be cut by 200-300 pages. I know this for a fact: I won't be hitting my book reading target this year.

Piecake

I picked this up due to it being an audible daily deal. Has anyone read it? I think I remember hearing very good things, but I can't remember who said it and whether or not I am just making that up.

Posting for subscription purposes. Almost finished with the Ron Perlman book, up next I have one...two...three...five...I'm just going to stop counting how many books I have left. And that's real books, never mind the digital ones I have lined up. At least they don't have due dates at the library!

Pau

More court intrigue after The Goblin Emperor.

I need a less dense read and my brain needs a huge rest. Thinking Childhood's End or A Canticle For Leibowitz next.
Childhood's End is... weird. Not in a bad way, but it wasn't exactly what I was expecting. (Then again, the only other Clarke novel I had read before was 2001.) Can't speak for Canticle for Leibowitz.

HoJu

Really really looking forward to The Buried Giant by Kazuo Ishiguro.
as am i. though i still have to read the unconsoled and when we were orphans...

finished the group by mary mccarthy and i really liked it. just started the trial by kafka and also still going through brothers karamazov.

Currently working through two books:

16130549.jpg

I finished The Shining and felt compelled to jump right into the sequel. I'm really digging it so far, about 25% in.

16126596.jpg

The action hasn't really started yet since I'm only 20% in, but the writing is good. Like really, really good.

B.K.

51ZD0HiBBgL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

It's an interesting book, but it's so dense that it's taking me a while to get though. I've been reading it a month and a half and I'm not even 200 pages into it yet.

O.DOGG

If you haven't read Childhood's End, you're in for quite a trip. My favorite sci-fi book. Though you can't go wrong with either one, Canticle is also excellent.

As for me, I'm reading the final pages of 11/22/63, and will finish it by the end of the day. Haven't really made up my mind what to read after. Will keep an eye on this thread and its sister from last month for ideas.

Sch1sm

Kazuo Ishiguro - Never Let Me Go. Windam recommended it to me ages ago, but I always struggled to get through it thanks to whatever distractions. Started again tonight. Maybe I'll manage this time.

Really loving the longer form stories that dig into how the characters are thinking as compared to the much shorter word play chapters. Interested to see how her writing develops over the course of the collection as I just reached the 3rd book which was still relatively early in her career.

Necrovex

I am within a 100 pages to finishing Manning's biography of Malcolm X. Hoping to finish it within a few days. Then I am going to focus the bulk of my reading time to Time Traveler's Wife. The Martian will follow that read!

Though I am deciding which King books I want to tackle soon. Seeing how I have nothing but time, it would be beneficial to tackle his catalog.

Mumei, how is Paton's novel coming along for you?

Have you been speaking to my father? Ihave read all three of those on his recommendation. Of the two you are considering I'd say I have a marginal preference for canticle but both are great.

I have been on planes a lot recently and read:

The Prize - Excellent history of the past 150 years told through the lens of oil and our need for it. A bit too much at times (it is like 900 pages) but very interesting.

The sixth extinction - cant recommend this highly enough. Fascinating for the science, the social implications, and the travelogue. May make me plan my next vacations around scuba/snorkeling

Working on creativity Inc now. Good so far but too early to tell.

I could use advice on two things.

I read 1q84 a bit ago and loved it. What of his should I try next? My default is probably colorless but I am open to suggestions.

Who is writing great crime fiction these days? I love Raymond chandler and dashiell hammett but would like to read something in that vein but written more recently.

Blablurn

The Search for Modern China by Jonathan Spence. Pretty pretty good read so far. Recaps the Chinese history of the last 400 years.

I just finished reading The Great Gatsby and now I'm reading A Thousand Splendid Suns.

The Great Gatsby was one of those books I thought I'd read a long time ago but I think it was just in my subconscious from all the media and references over the years. A book full of despicable people doing horrible things. Left me thoroughly depressed.

After reading The Kite Runner I don't think A Thousand Splendid Suns holds much hope of being a light hearted read either.

Last night I finished The Martian and I have to agree with gaf - great book. Fun to read, the humor was awesome, and overall it was a great adventure.

Moved on to:
brandon-sanderson-steelheart1.jpg

Akahige

Started reading the Harry Potter series, never read them before and only saw the first 5 films. I'm liking it so far, on Book Two, very quick read.

Mr.Towel

Been reading The Disaster Artist by Greg Sestero over the past few days, and heard great things about the audiobook, also by Greg Sestero, complete with impressions of Tommy Wiseau. The book flips back and forth between production on The Room on odd chapters, and Greg's pre-Room career as an actor and friendship (if you can call it that) with Tommy Wiseau on even chapters. I stopped reading at Chapter 11 and listened to the audiobook to that point, so tomorrow I'll read and listen.

I wonder what Tommy is up to nowadays.

He's still trying to get his sitcom pilot picked up by a network and doing hilariously antagonistic interviews.

Started reading the Harry Potter series, never read them before and only saw the first 5 films. I'm liking it so far, on Book Two, very quick read.

Enjoy! Wish I could read them for the first time again.

I'm about 50% through "Farthest North" by Fridtjof Nansen. It's an account of exploring the Arctic, and it's terrible. Abominable animal cruelty aside, it's just very dull reading. I'll finish it because I hate leaving something halfway through, but I don't expect much improvement.

ShaneB

Currently reading...

12074735.jpg

Should finish it up today. Think I'm in the middle ground on it. I think I like it enough to finish it up and am wondering how the hell it all ends up, but it feels pretty slim.

VanWinkle

Alright. As I said yesterday or the day before, I finished the Mistborn trilogy and it was incredible. I was contemplating starting Alloy of Law, but I just felt like I might not think as highly of it right after something so good, since people seem to think it's not at that level.

I'm going with this:

cover_277.jpg

My brother recommended it to me (he was also the one that recommended The Way of Kings to me last year, which turned out to be my favorite book ever until Words of Radiance, so I trust his opinion). He's currently reading the second book in the series, Wise Man's Fear, so I'm excited to get started on this one. I've heard some great things.

NekoFever

Bad Science by Ben Goldacre

bsduook.png

It's written in a very funny way but my god, it just makes me angry. I see people I know buying into stuff that he skewers, and it's impossible not to see the tricks he talks about everywhere.

Cade

I gave up on The Saint. It was interesting, but not what I'm in the mood for, and moved on to:
Ubik(1stEd).jpg

which I am devouring. Blew through a quarter of it in a single sitting and with any luck will finish it today. I love it.

ATF487

Went to the library today to return The Fall and got Animal Farm and The Sun Also Rises. Never read either of them!

Still reading Rip It Up and Start Again, although with slightly less gusto since I learned that the US edition cut a lot of content I would have been interested in reading. Oh well!

Mr.Swag

Banned
Went to the library today to return The Fall and got Animal Farm and The Sun Also Rises. Never read either of them!

Still reading Rip It Up and Start Again, although with slightly less gusto since I learned that the US edition cut a lot of content I would have been interested in reading. Oh well!
I read The Sun Also Rises last year and I can't wait for the inevitable rereads throughout my life. Book was great

Top Bottom