• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GVF-Hop l0† 13l La Soulja Nostra

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koozek

Yup. Originally I Am was supposed to be a double album. First disk would end with Undying Love (like the original), and the second would end with Rise And Fall. Basically it was going to be the "death" of Nas' Escobar phase. Nas gave various tracks to DJs who leaked them, and eventually weed carriers leaked the rest. So he went back in the studio with Timbaland and got a variety of weak tracks on that album and Nastradamus.

Nas should have just said fuck it and released the original, plus a few new songs. If he had it would have been a pretty dope album, based on the tracklists that have flouted around+the quality of the tracks on Lost Tapes. I really don't see how Hov could have effectively attacked Nas if the OG I Am came out, which would mean Nastradamus wouldn't exist.

Nice, I see. Man, leaks are bad.
Yeah, I think he should've still released it, too. But who knows what their line of thinking was back then. Must've had their reasons.

IrishNinja

that would've been far better, but there still would've been some ammo about - he'd still have done Oochie Wallie, for instance

*edit also 10 years ago today Common released the last classic he had in em, bless

codhand

Common's best album,

hahahaeqofm.gif

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
tried that Yen Lo cause of the hype. Ka aint for me. almost put me to sleep. Beats was aight.
It's definitely a love/hate thing, because his style is really thick for lack of better words. A lot of wordplay, no real care given for variety, pacing, buildup, touching extremes, etc. Not a jack of all trades but very specific things you might want in different doses than they come at.

Oddisee - The Good Fight Album Review | DEHH Solo Review

honestly just looking for an excuse to bring this album up again. might be my favorite of the year so far.

Thanks. I actually forgot that Oddisee is a producer too. I'm trying to actually remember how I came across him. It was either through Ladi6 or another Mellow Music Group artist, likely L'Orange or Has-Lo. I didn't know there's a video for Counterclockwise too. Shit, he has a Hot97 interview too.

It's definitely a love/hate thing, because his style is really thick for lack of better words. A lot of wordplay, no real care given for variety, pacing, buildup, touching extremes, etc. Not a jack of all trades but very specific things you might want in different doses than they come at.

be a musical plebe brehs

Lots of rhyme patterns throughout the album, and lots of great buildup to various pockets within the beats. He has a great knack for building up atmosphere.

That being said I understand that he's not everyone. I just can't cosign your complaints.

Next to Like Water for Chocolate, obviously.

2nd chance and it's still wrong

be a musical plebe brehs

Lots of rhyme patterns throughout the album, and lots of great buildup to various pockets within the beats. He has a great knack for building up atmosphere.

That being said I understand that he's not everyone. I just can't cosign your complaints.
All of this.

Damn enzo, was Twisted Fantasy really your first hiphop album after all? I didn't wanna believe it breh

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
be a musical plebe brehs

All of those complaints are for the album at large, from track-to-track. The tracks themselves go up and down but across the album it can definitely look like the same song and dance, especially considering vocal range, cadence, etc. don't vary significantly across the album, and that alone can make a recycle bin classic. Pretty much all that is facts, not really down to opinion, and stuff from the wrong name gets shitted on rightfully otherwise for those qualities.

DominoKid

Is Live. Love. ASAP better than Tyler, The Creator's Bastard?

miles better.

it's just all kind of droll. for comparison at least w/ a TPAB I could say there's a lot of wacky shit on there that works like ear candy. so you never had to sit on an idea you didnt like for too long. and there's a lot of questionable shit on there.

i would fuck with an album of Yen Lo instrumentals w/ the vocal samples still in there. but Ka kind of ruins it for me. breh sounds like a slightly different shade of gray on every track. really inconsequential to whatever he's rapping over. maybe it's by design but i dont fuck with it. it's ambien hood rap for folks that are heavy into books and shit. i do kind of like how his voice is layered on the tracks though. got a nice kind of otherwordly sound to it. the sum just doesn't all mesh up for me though.

regardless i can't do anything with either album so
U24MIgN.png

Man I wish Esch wasn't out there having fun in real life so he could sit back and witness this fuckery. I feel like I just walked into an orphanage. Disgusted.

IrishNinja

Be going into The Corner is the best opening 1 - 2 for me on any album, ever

no doubt
i think we all agreed chapelle show version of the food was better though yeah? i forget what we ended up with

tried that Yen Lo cause of the hype. Ka aint for me. almost put me to sleep. Beats was aight.

Same; just not for me I guess

The Ka thing...its a troll, right? Like the ironic Lil B stuff. Thats the only way I can explain it.

so much scust
its like takin ya'll to fine dining and hearing nah fam, taco bell still open though

Is Live. Love. ASAP better than Tyler, The Creator's Bastard?

one forgettable album vs another

Damn enzo, was Twisted Fantasy really your first hiphop album after all? I didn't wanna believe it breh

not his first but he has a defense force narrative written like when people tell me Killer 7 was booty
which is to say: there's brilliance in there but it plays/controls like shit but i gotta front like that was purposeful because it's meant to be part of the design nahmean? see Suda51 isn't so much inept at gameplay as it is a critique of modern man and wait come back fam

Say that again to my face though

get at your boy

at least w/ a TPAB I could say...
it's ambien hood rap for folks that are heavy into books

fam just stay you ain't too sharp and keep it movin

Man I wish Esch wasn't out there having fun in real life so he could sit back and witness this fuckery. I feel like I just walked into an orphanage. Disgusted.

haha funny i was just thinking i was kinda grateful he's elsewhere, wish i was too

Finally, #fuckboyztakeover

you playin with a double-edged sword nibels
next time yeezy or ya boy drizzy actually fucks up and puts something out with depth it's bout to be like bruh does it bump in the whip? ugh i wish kdot would just go back to swimming pools nahmean, shit was tight at the club

Nibel

A$AP Rocky Loses 100,000 Instagram Followers

Last week, the Harlem, New York native began posting numerous pics on his Instagram account in succession. Most of the posts were just squares with little more than a simple gray, black or white gradient fill. Those who didn't understand or just got tired of their feed filling up unfollowed the A$AP Mob rapper. He now has 100,000 less followers on the social media site in the name of art.

asap-instagram-640.jpg

you playin with a double-edged sword nibels
next time yeezy or ya boy drizzy actually fucks up and puts something out with depth it's bout to be like bruh does it bump in the whip? ugh i wish kdot would just go back to swimming pools nahmean, shit was tight at the club

This Yen Lo is just addictive as shit. I actually feel like it's more accessible than Night's Gambit, but impressively, without sacrificing lyrical depth.

Esch

Banned

Can't blame the brehs, really. I'll agree with them that his intonation stays pretty similar. But I don't mind that, because I'm not really listening to anyone else like him except Prodigy (who has a similar style atm but trash).

If you think about it, listening to Ka is like being at a subtle Michelin star kaiseki restaurant during an important dinner meeting. You gotta sit, listen to bits here and there, chew and take your time while being patient to understand all that's laid all in front of you. That experience ain't for everyone. Whereas listening to Kanye is what I imagine going to some new Yelp 4.5 star hipster philly cheesesteak place. You go there and they pretty much load everything on it, even if the ingredients don't make sense. But it makes sense, if the ultimate goal is just to provoke a reaction by willy nilly loading strong ingredients together to be 'epic' and 'varied' and 'memorable'. That ain't for everyone either, but it's what some people need nowadays to feel like they're enjoying a new establishment.

Different strokes, different folks.
ICUu3xm.png

so much scust
its like takin ya'll to fine dining and hearing nah fam, taco bell still open though

Can't blame the brehs, really. I'll agree with them that his intonation stays pretty similar. But I don't mind that, because I'm not really listening to anyone else like him except Prodigy (who has a similar style atm but trash).

If you think about it, listening to Ka is like being at a subtle Michelin star kaiseki restaurant during an important dinner meeting. You gotta sit, listen to bits here and there, chew and take your time while being patient to understand all that's laid all in front of you. That experience ain't for everyone. Whereas listening to Kanye is what I imagine going to some new Yelp 4.5 star hipster philly cheesesteak place. You go there and they pretty much load everything on it, even if the ingredients don't make sense. But it makes sense, if the ultimate goal is just to provoke a reaction by willy nilly loading strong ingredients together to be 'epic' and 'varied' and 'memorable'. That ain't for everyone either, but it's what some people need nowadays to feel like they're enjoying a new establishment.

ICUu3xm.png

Basically, Gaf-hop is pretty much reenacting this scene right now

What a shame.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Esch just about nailed it, but I was viewing it more like that lazy river ride at the waterpark. I always loved that fucking thing and everybody was like, yo, let's go on the Deathslider 4000 and I was always like "nah, I'm just gonna float for a bit."

The album is a lazy river ride at night.

ICUu3xm.png

classic post brehs
DFNUj78.png

DominoKid

ICUu3xm.png

this is what TPAB is to me.

Nibel

Patting yourselves on the shoulders for liking bizarre monotone albums, brehs
Doing the obvious restaurant/fast-food place comparison to feel better about your opinion and totally not come over as elitist, brehs

[random coli face]

ycghedh51ug4.gif

Nibel

The fuck is that video
KuGsj.gif

And not trying to school anyone, lol; just pointing out that acting so highly for liking something that might not be for everyone comes over as lame. TPAB is probably on the same level of "hate it or love it" and despite liking it I can understand people not fucking with it without that whole hip-hop connaisseur du louvre shtick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom