• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games you didn't know received sequels

ugly

Hydro_Thunder_DC_cover.jpg
-->>
1111201040036700H2O%20Overdrive%20Twin.jpg
Even has the same narrator clips. "YOU'RE CRAZY!!!" etc

Dremark

Banned
Wtf?

Robbit_mon_Dieu.jpg

I'll be damned.

I think the really interesting thing about that series is that they are basically the spiritual successor to a Sharp X68000 game named Geograph Seal.

Jumping Flash was awesome though, would love to see another game in the series get released.

Nikodemos

There was this obscure robot gunner game on PC/Mac and PSX called Bedlam which had a PC-only sequel. I only found out about this in 2012.

Also, I only found out Magic & Mayhem had a sequel about two years after the sequel (Art of Magic) had launched.

Dremark

Banned
--There's a weird Twisted Metal spinoff with super-deformed characters/cars that was released on the PSX sometime after Twisted Metal Black for PS2. I've never played it and can't even remember what it's called but it was apparently pretty bad, even by Twisted Metal standards.

Small Brawl was decent. Way better than any of the games 989 put out.

Wiktor

Heart of the Alien
heart-2.png

I still consider Another World to be one of the finest platormers ever made and a true masterpiece that was light years ahead of it's competition. So the news they made sequel was shocking. Of course, it was SegaCD only, made by different people and a sad shadow of the original game's brilliance...but still.

Even has the same narrator clips. "YOU'RE CRAZY!!!" etc

Not really a sequel to Hydro Thunder though? More like spiritual successor?

The Windows 8/Xbox 360 sequel was ok, nothing special.

Oh and Parappa 2 had a terrible soundtrack. Nothing at all memorable and classic like the original. Almost like it was trying too hard.

Dremark

Banned
I knew about it back in the day, but it was definitely a billion times more obscure than its predecessor, Zombies Ate My Neighbours.

Ie5c0sJ.jpg

I wish I never found out this game existed. One of my biggest disappointments in gaming ever. It's not that it doesn't live up to the first game, it's just a terrible game by itself.

KiteGr

1407474251156896dd5ba0a2e4911f4f63d262819e7.png
(sorry if the image is big, but i'm posting from my smartphone and i cant tell)
Guilty Gear 2.
Looks like another one of those failed attempts Ms made to capture the hearts of japanese gamers. Dont they knoy that they mostly piss people off?

For better or worse, the game was considered mediocre and ark focused on expanding the X games.

Whoa.

Is it any good? I adored the first on N64.
I bought it years back. It was pretty good. Nothing mind blowing, but fairly enjoyable, although I did wonder even then why Anakin the adult is racing rather than doing other, important Jedi stuff. Come to think of it, I still want to know why.

It arrived on EU PSN a few weeks back, might be on the US one too.

Guilty Gear 2.
Looks like another one of those failed attempts Ms made to capture the hearts of japanese gamers. Dont they knoy that they mostly piss people off?

For better or worse, the game was considered mediocre and ark focused on expanding the X games.
This game was apparently Daisuke Ishiwatari's dream project, since he wanted to make something more than a fighter.
That certainly backfire given overture's utter obscurity and Xrds universal praise.

On topic for a long time I didnt know about Guilty Gear: Missing Link and thought Guilty Gear X was the first game in the series as it was the first I played.

Edit I got the topic wrong. A real on topic game is Dust strikers, a ds guilty gear game I found out about an hour ago. Looks pretty bad.

As a diehard fan of Capcom's Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse when I was a kid I was flabbergasted when I found out that that Great Circus Mystery starring Mickey Mouse game I kept seeing in my local rental store was actually Magical Quest 2!!!! If I had known this back then I would've rented the shit out of the sequel as well but instead I just re-rented MQ1 a bunch of times whilst ignoring the Circus one. And only the first levels happen on a circus, what the hell Capcom? Way to fuck up the American name!
The_magical_quest_starring_mickey_mouse_frontcover.jpg

Vib-Ribbon got a sequel didn't it? In the name of Vib-Ripple

256px-Vib-Ripple_Cover.png

It's basically the same game but instead of music you upload photographs in the game

ReyVGM

Despite Wave Race being one of my favorite games of all time I didn't realize there was GC sequel until a few years ago.

You probably don't realize either that both the N64 and GC games are sequels to the original Wave Race which was released on the Game Boy.

Sesha

I was going to suggest Jade Cocoon 2, but the 5 people who played the original probably all knew.

A lot of people are always amazed that there was in fact a Dino Crisis 3. just goes to show how botched and buried that release was.

It's amazing how DC went from being one of Capcom's premier IPs to just plain dead. This was around the same time as DMC2 and Capcom Fighting Jam as well. What was going on with Capcom for them to destroy two of their most promising franchises and their one and only internal crossover fighting game?

Hasney

Mad TV 2. The original was amazing, but I found out last week there was a sequel... That was only released in Germany. You can actually play the original online now: http://www.madtv-online.com/index

Another fun simulation game was the On The Ball management games. I had the first League and World Cup games, then got 2 for the PC, but it turns out yet again that Germany got at least one more sequel.

Rlan

25304_front.jpg

I did not know that they release a numbered sequel on the Game Boy.

If anything I don't think people realize how many weird offshoots of Tetris there are on the original game boy. Certainly not as popular, but Hatris, Bombliss and Wordtris were all developed by the original Tetris guys. I'm apprised nobody had jumped on bringing Wordtris back into the Mobile market.

@MUWANdo

Banned
It's amazing how DC went from being one of Capcom's premier IPs to just plain dead. This was around the same time as DMC2 and Capcom Fighting Jam as well. What was going on with Capcom for them to destroy two of their most promising franchises and their one and only internal crossover fighting game?

Capcom Fighting Jam was a retooled version of a cancelled 2.5D fighting game called Capcom Fighting Evolution; when that project died, they salvaged the systems, recycled a bunch of sprites and rushed out the game in order to recoup some of the cost.

Yoshinori Oni was the guy they brought in to make Jam, incidentally, and one of the reasons he fought so hard to revive SF was because he felt he had to make up for the piece of shit they'd released that had his name on it.

Kain

I remember rocking SFA3 on the PSX like a madman and then finding out there was a SFIII. This was in the year 2005 or something. My life was a lie up to that point.

Coxswain

Guilty Gear 2.

What was always crazy to me about Overture is that it was straight up just a MOBA, even though its original 2007 release basically predates that genre even being a genre (obviously DotA existed just as a free WC3 mod and it was really popular for a mod, but it wasn't really so much a part of the gaming landscape that the average person would recognize most of those gameplay conventions).

It kind of makes you wonder if the game would have been received differently if it had been released several years later and they were able to actually capitalize on that whole genre being kind of a rising star in gaming.

Vorg

Banned
Not really a sequel to Hydro Thunder though? More like spiritual successor?

The Windows 8/Xbox 360 sequel was ok, nothing special.

Actually, the 360 sequel, Hydro Thunder Hurricane was amazing. Great tracks and gameplay. I played that game online for like a year before getting rid of my 360.

Fury451

Banned
Does it count that I was surprised to find out Spec Ops: The Line was related to the old and rather unremarkable Spec Ops series?

And that it's actually the 10th entry in that particular franchise?

Because that blew my mind. I thought that series died way back on Playstation.

Also did not know there was a sequel to Full Spectrum Warrior for the longest time.

REDSLATE

*shudders* Assault Horizon made me hate the series

Infinity gave me renewed hope and it was my first free to play game... It was also my last free to play game.

Even getting unlimited access to story mode for $20 just couldn't get me to care. I just don't want to support where the series is going right now.

I don't blame you, man.

Nose Master

If anything I don't think people realize how many weird offshoots of Tetris there are on the original game boy. Certainly not as popular, but Hatris, Bombliss and Wordtris were all developed by the original Tetris guys. I'm apprised nobody had jumped on bringing Wordtris back into the Mobile market.

My dad and I used to play the NES version of this all the time. It's not bad.

SinShep

I honestly had no idea that there were two Crazy Taxi sequels until I saw their soundtracks on YouTube a few hours ago, then looked up gameplay.

They look like they play exactly the same, but they as good as the first?

petghost

Banned
darkstalkers 3/vampire savior strangely had 2 sequels that no one gives a fuck about, vampire savior 2 and vampire hunter 2.

maybe sequel is a stretch because its mostly just rebalancing mechanics (in kinda unfortunate ways) and replacing new characters with old ones.

As a diehard fan of Capcom's Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse when I was a kid I was flabbergasted when I found out that that Great Circus Mystery starring Mickey Mouse game I kept seeing in my local rental store was actually Magical Quest 2!!!! If I had known this back then I would've rented the shit out of the sequel as well but instead I just re-rented MQ1 a bunch of times whilst ignoring the Circus one. And only the first levels happen on a circus, what the hell Capcom? Way to fuck up the American name!
The_magical_quest_starring_mickey_mouse_frontcover.jpg

Not only that, but there's a third game in the series that didn't receive an American Release until the GBA

1272.jpg

It features Donald instead of Minnie and the costumes between characters are actually different.

I would have done the same thing, but when I was a kid I had no idea there were sequels to Magical Quest. It wasn't until years later through emulation that I discovered both of the sequels.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Whoever owns the rights now should really consider releasing them digitally on 3DS. Hotel Dusk was great and one of these days I'll find the time to sit down to Last Window. I imported a UK copy just haven't gotten around to playing it. Guess us NA gamers got lucky in that the DS is at least region free.
Nintendo owns the rights as its first party, there's a chance it will get released when nintendo start the DS VC

Top Bottom