• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 3 10th Anniversary | Better late than Cuhraizy!

Yeah, the thing with NG DMD is that higher ranks make it more manageable since you get more cash after every mission. chinaman was the one who took it up a notch: NG DMD, no upgrades, Lv1 styles, all SS. It was nuts.

I've heard about the DMC1 DMD FE/E&I challenge. I thought it was never beaten? Last time I heard, the DMC1 vet Joch gave up on Nightmare because it was taking so long to kill.

I don't get doing that stuff. I know the appeal of challenge runs, but for me DMC doesn't really get fun until you have all of your options. At least you could do plenty of combos even with Swordmaster at level 1.

Miguel81

Happy Anniversary, DMC3! It's a draw between this and DMC1 as my favorite titles in the series(for different reasons). My first taste of it was in the Special Edition release for the PS2 and it just captivated me at time, and surprisingly I was young enough then to get pretty damn good at it. I was in character action heaven back then with this and NG on the Xbox side as well.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
My favorite action game of all time. Even my username is an homage to Vergil da God <3

One of those rare moments in life when you expect something to be great and it still manages to exceed your expectations.

I still have my PS3 copy of the game in its plastic. I bought it merely as a memento really. Never done that with any other game. heh

Dahbomb

I don't get doing that stuff. I know the appeal of challenge runs, but for me DMC doesn't really get fun until you have all of your options. At least you could do plenty of combos even with Swordmaster at level 1.
Because you can.

DMC3 being able to be finished on DMD mode with full SS ranks without even acquiring a single upgrade (all lvl1 styles, no new moves) shows that the game is designed from start to finish with fundamentals in mind.

You don't need to do combo video stuff to excel in DMC3, you can use the same fundamentals in DMC1 to do well in DMC3.

I guess it's like those Handgun + Knife only RE4 runs. Yeah it's more fun to use Shotguns and Machine Guns but beating the game with just a Handgun is it's own reward.

I've heard about the DMC1 DMD FE/E&I challenge. I thought it was never beaten? Last time I heard, the DMC1 vet Joch gave up on Nightmare because it was taking so long to kill.
On paper it's possible and it's not like it's one of the hardest things ever to accomplish either. Maybe someone has done it and we don't know about it.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
fFvuKYM.gif
ffa1e089b8328988dde39800fc003bca6a6d488d32e64900b2f7791d70b967e4.jpg

That's some appeal with challenge runs in general. Being forced to completely utilize all options left can make you approach certain games in a different manner. It makes some games better for me. For example, Crisis Core is such an easy game. Once I throw in Curse Ring No Mission, suddenly I need to plan everything. Do I need to equip this materia to survive an attack? Do I need to make use of a certain status attack? Can I have enough DPS to perma-stagger this enemy instead?

Similarly in DMC3, you end up having to use your small moveset at 100%. You now have to be even more aggressive since your damage output is just flatout lower across the board. On top of that, there's also pressure to get better ranks otherwise DWD eventually becomes even harder. There's always this question of "how much can I push the game? Is it doable?"

Azure J

I remember this game's E3 2004 trailer as being the one thing that made me realize how fucked I was for not having a PS2 during that generation.

Not Metal Gear.

Not Jak.

Not Kingdom Hearts.

Not Final Fantasy.

Not Megaman X8.
(I was young, dumb, and very easily excited for games in my favorite franchises, don't start)

Not [insert legendary title that happened on PS2]

This fucking game.

JayEH

Nice OP killer. Amazing game, probably the greatest action game created (though my personal favorite might be 4). Amazing how they were able to turn the series around this much.

Also, DMC3 has a great soundtrack (as all DMC games do). But Devils Never Cry is a classic.

http://youtu.be/GZUN89RaP60

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Yeah that E3 trailer is still my all time favorite ever. Shit was fucking perfect. Man, the old boards I used to frequent took that trailer apart piece by piece, frame by frame. I loved it. This was back when I used to eat, sleep, breathe, and dream video games. DMC3 was a god send for people like me.

Still the greatest action game ever made.
I concur. I still need to play Bayo 2 doe.

Azure J

Yeah that E3 trailer is still my all time favorite ever. Shit was fucking perfect. Man, the old boards I used to frequent took that trailer apart piece by piece, frame by frame. I loved it. This was back when I used to eat, sleep, breathe, and dream video games. DMC3 was a god send for people like me.

There are so many moments in that clip alone that send me into a sophomore year "SON DID YOU SEE THAT SHIT YESTERDAY" memory relapse. I vividly remember getting a friend to drop a tray of french fries he was holding up showing him the bit from 0:30 to 1:00 with no context.

How Temen-ni-gru was not used as a stage in MvC3 is beyond me.

PREACH.

I could have gotten that rainy sequence with the giant full moon framing the fighting. But nope. lolNitsuma

Dahbomb

You guys should've seen my reactions/analysis of the DMC3 E3 trailer from back in the day... it was legendary.

I lost my shit during the Swordmaster segment.

It was a perfect combination of new mechanics being shown constantly, swag notched up to 11, great choreography in the cutscenes (for the time of course), godlike music playing and solid editing.

They don't make 'em like they used to man. No CGI, no prerendered bull shit, no bull shots, no lame ass voice over guy... just straight godliness.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
There are so many moments in that clip alone that send me into a sophomore year "SON DID YOU SEE THAT SHIT YESTERDAY" memory relapse. I vividly remember getting a friend to drop a tray of french fries he was holding up showing him the bit from 0:30 to 1:00 with no context.
I thought the damage DMC2 had done to me would never allow me to get hyped for a DMC title ever again. But that trailer... damn. Damn.

tumblr_mreczsWyFw1r8nxtno1_400.gif

I had a friend that imported the JP release of the second Resident Evil Outbreak game specifically for the DMC3 demo. Good times.

Demon Ice

Banned
The greatest action game that ever was.

Edit: Oh god, Devils Never Cry. Giving me chills. Fuck. Need an HD remaster of this game fucking yesterday. I still remember SS'ing DMD mode with Dante and Vergil like it was yesterday.

Fucking sublime.

PirateKing

I remember playing DMC1 and liking it a lot but it wasn't until DMC3 when I fell in love with another action game like I did with Ninja Gaiden.

Cidd

I remember grabbing this the day it was released on the PS2 and got my ass kicked by the difficulty, still my all time favorite action game.

still can't believe I finished it only to find out later that the US version normal setting was Japan's hard!.

My absolute favorite game of all time. This was a series that stylistically appealed to a young, high school me so much (and frankly still does now), and I find it effortless to go back to it thanks to the richness and depth of the gameplay. I think 3SE easily holds up the best of any of thanks to feeling like such a full package, with a story that has charming characters, some of the best directed action scenes in any game and a plot just compelling enough to keep watching, along with a bevy of extra modes like Bloody Palace and playable Vergil to keep replay value high.

I just completed a run through the game with Vergil earlier last month and it holds up stupendously, and he's easily the most fleshed out additional character in terms of gameplay in any action game of this kind.

Edit: Here's a short little segment cut out from some tool assisted play.

How is the steam version?

The PC version is missing graphical effects and has issues with the music (for most pcs you need to delete the music in order to prevent it from effecting the framerate). There were many other issues, including finicky but doable controller setup, but there's actually a mod that fixes a lot of the PC version's biggest problems now. http://www.nexusmods.com/devilmaycry3/mods/1/?

I'd still say you should play the PS2 version first to get the best experience with the game. The HD version works fine too.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
How is the steam version?

It requires a little patchwork, but the PC version works if you take a little time to fix it.

Here are two pages with some recommended steps: http://steamcommunity.com/app/6550/discussions/0/864969320373351964
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=113562619&postcount=115

It also has slowdown and incompatibility issues with some cards until certain music tracks are removed from the game. A lot of people claim not to have this issue, though... but if you do:
http://s1.zetaboards.com/InfernalWorks/topic/3715047/1/

It also lets you incorporate the Style Switch mod recently created by the community:
http://www.nexusmods.com/devilmaycry3/mods/1/?

It should already have the controller update added to it.

^
Still, the HD collection is the better alternative if you have the option.

oni-link

I'm about to start this in the next few days? Any tips? What difficulty level should I start on? (I have the HD version and just played the first game last month)

Sesha

I'm about to start this in the next few days? Any tips? What difficulty level should I start on? (I have the HD version and just played the first game last month)

Start on Normal, play on Gold Orb mode for your first time through. Buy Stinger first, then Air Hike. Pay attention to audio cues, as enemies never attack you when they're off-screen, but the second they show up on camera in any capacity, they will be able to attack you. Also, consider dodging rather than going for one more attack. Attacks aren't cancellable at any time, so you have to commit to your moves. Your jump and dodge roll both have invincibility frames like in DMC1, so they can be used to dodge attacks. Your double jump, however, does not have any i-frames, so it won't be able to function as a dodge.
Also, near the end of mission 3, pick Trickster, as its your best option. You can choose styles mid-game via the Goddess of Time statues found around the game.

This fucking game. Man. I just completed it again like 2 weeks ago so this was a perfect time for this thread to come up.

The atmosphere of this game is just insane. Like the way each mission number is shown in the preceding cutscenes?

The fucking cutscenes themselves? Like the one where
Dante gets eaten by the Leviathan?!

The theming? Like the intricacies of Dante & Vergil's rivalry and how it's portrayed through the contrast in their designs, mannerisms and methods?

The references to other games via Beowulf moves?

The replayability through ranking, NG+, Vergil?

The fact that it plays how Advent Children looks, without resorting to single button combat?
(Seriously, what the fuck FFXV? Should've just borrowed this engine)

I don't know what Capcom were smoking back in '04 but I want some. They really put out this, RE4, Viewtiful Joe and Monster Hunter in the same year. Fuck. I need some time to think.

Easily, in my opinion, in the top 10 games of all time.

This is the game I cut my action game teeth on. I rented the original and played it to completion, and when the special edition came out I literally lost track of how many hours I put into it. When I accidentally messed up my save, I started back from scratch with no problem. Very few games would I ever feel inclined to do that with, but DMC3 is just one of the best of all time.
Happy Anniversary! Let's Rock!

oni-link

Start on Normal, play on Gold Orb mode for your first time through. Buy Stinger first, then Air Hike. Pay attention to audio cues, as enemies never attack you when they're off-screen, but the second they show up on camera in any capacity, they will be able to attack you. Also, consider dodging rather than going for one more attack. Attacks aren't cancellable at any time, so you have to commit to your moves. Your jump and dodge roll both have invincibility frames like in DMC1, so they can be used to dodge attacks. Your double jump, however, does not have any i-frames, so it won't be able to function as a dodge.
Also, near the end of mission 3, pick Trickster, as its your best option. You can choose styles mid-game via the Goddess of Time statues found around the game.

Thanks, I'm always a little worried when I start a hard game because I don't want to give up and not see it though to the end

I've beaten Bayonetta and God Hand, so hopefully I'll be fine, just with all the different versions and ways to save it's a little hard to know where to start

How long would you say it is?

The first game took me about 6 hours (I skipped DMC2)

Drewfonse

One of my all time favorite games. So amazing. I'm not ashamed to admit that I farmed the living shit out of the opening scene where he's eating pizza. I must have played that sequence 100 times. Maybe more.

What a game.

Ushiwaka

Ah, DMC3. All those memories. Legendary characters, awesome boss fights, a combat system that revolutionized the genre and still is on of most fun and crazy combat systems in the genre, amazing atmosphere, amazing little story, awesome music... It's all there to make this game a masterpiece. DMC3 has a special place in my heart.

javac

I think DMC3 is my favorite game of all time, I was already into the Devil May Cry series and was hyped up for the release of DMC3, and I remember ringing my dad to get it for me on the day it released and man what a game it turned out to be. This game was basically hooked up to my veins 24/7, as it pumped an overdose of high octane action with a visage of stylishness in my system. From the insane weapons that not only looked crazy but also played crazily, to the bat shit crazy cut-scenes. It really baffles me, 10 years later in regards to how good I was at it. It's controls were muscle memory for me, kicking ass in style with my eyes closed. I'm not sure if I still have it in me, or if my fingers can keep up with it's demands today, I still need to play my copy of Bayonetta 1+2 so I guess I'll see then if the old man still has it. They don't make em' like that anymore.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
You've heard of it, haven't you? The legend of Sparda.

Somehow I've beaten DMC 2 & 4 and the ninja theory game but I've never played much of DMC 1 & 3, I should probably correct this.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

Are you sure about this? I know it's the case for DMC4, but I believe all enemies could attack from off screen in DMC3, which is why the audio cues are so important.

Thanks, I'm always a little worried when I start a hard game because I don't want to give up and not see it though to the end

I've beaten Bayonetta and God Hand, so hopefully I'll be fine, just with all the different versions and ways to save it's a little hard to know where to start

The game is probably about 10 hours on your first playthrough, I'd say. More depending on how much you take your time and how long it takes you to figure out certain puzzles. It's longer than DMC1 for sure.

To piggyback on Sesha's post, you should already have some of a grasp of weapon switching from playing Bayonetta, but get used to using the style button. I'm personally an advocate of yellow orb mode for your first playthrough.

Remember that you can recenter the camera by pressing in right thumbstick. As long as you do this regularly, the camera shouldn't really pose too much of a problem. You also don't have to be locked on at all times. You lock-on often and when necessary. LISTEN for sound cues. The game is designed where every enemy has a "tell" before they attack. This is deliberate and is intended to aid you in crowd control.

Save before every boss fight. You'll keep your orbs and items if you die.

Trickster is a style focused on mobility, suited for beginners. It provides you with a very useful dodge button with plenty of i-frames. You can cancel most attacks straight into the dodge. Something to keep in mind- your beginning jump animation frames are invincibility frames. A lot of people don't know this when they start, but it makes a world of difference. If you time it right, you can jump through most attacks. This, coupled with SkyStar, (invincible airdash with lvl 2 Trickster) makes Dante nearly untouchable.

Playing through the game once, you should get enough XP to max one style and level up another to level 2, so plan accordingly.

Crazy Combos like Million Stab are the easiest way to build Style meter (the moves where you mash and see a flash when they come out. Mash harder for more hits). Be sure to weapon switch mid combo and mix up your types of attacks.

Certain enemies and bosses have elemental weaknesses. You can tell because there's usually a visual indicator (they catch on fire, ice crystals appear, etc.), it does more damage, and it creates more stun.

There's no better place to ask questions than here as you're progressing through the game.

pixxxelz

And 10 years later still the best game in the genre, don't get me wrong I love bayonetta and MGRR but this game is in a whole new level.

I remember back in 2008 I didn't play many games and I had no intention of getting a PS360 but then a friend came over to my place for a few days so we went to get a some games one of those games was DMC3, and long story short I immediately went to buy a PS3 + DMC4 after finishing it that game wasn't as great unfortunately but oh well.

Happy 10th Anniversary Devil May Cry 3!

One of my favorite games of all time. I'm not sure if I ever finished SSing all of the missions on DMD, but I know I got close. I mostly just loved seeing how quickly I could destroy some of the boss fights. Vergil was amazing, but I've always loved the design of the Beowulf boss fight and how it seemed like such a long, solid boss fight at first, until you discover that RG + DTE can shred him.

Ah, another ten year anniversary that reminds me just how far removed I am from my college days. Played this one a lot in the dorm. Good times.

Is the PC version actually patchable to be a good experience? Or is it patchable in the same sense that PC Saints Row 2 is patchable, I.e. still not very good?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Ah, another ten year anniversary that reminds me just how far removed I am from my college days. Played this one a lot in the dorm. Good times.

Is the PC version actually patchable to be a good experience? Or is it patchable in the same sense that PC Saints Row 2 is patchable, I.e. still not very good?

It's patchable. There are a few links above. I'm not sure about Saints Row 2 for PC, but DMC3 can be made very playable as long as you have a halfway decent computer and utilize a few of the fixes.

I forgot to post one of the most hype trailers ever. I must have seen this trailer more than 50 times by now.

DMC3 E3 2004

The hype! What a great trailer, just pure style and action. 3 is still the pinnacle of the series and in the god tier of action games. There are only a few I would put on it's level.

Sesha

Are you sure about this? I know it's the case for DMC4, but I believe all enemies could attack from off screen in DMC3, which is why the audio cues are so important.

Pretty sure. If even a pixel of an enemy shows up on your camera, they'll be able to attack. They don't stand around, so they can move into your camera even you if you haven't moved it. Once they show up on camera, AI will go from passive to aggressive, during which they can begin the wind up to an attack.

Depends on your progression, it can take you anywhere from 6 to 10 hours on a normal playthrough.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Pretty sure. If even a pixel of an enemy shows up on your camera, they'll be able to attack. They don't stand around, so they can move into your camera even you if you haven't moved it. Once they show up on camera, AI will go from passive to aggressive, during which they can begin the wind up to an attack.

Hmm, I'll test it out when I get home. I could be misremembering, but it was a pretty common complaint regarding off-screen attacks in DMC3, which is why they ended up making the adjustment in DMC4. This also unfortunately made it easier to manipulate Bloody Palace because you could swing the camera around to non-aggro enemies.

It should be easy to test with enemies like Enigmas. It's not a big deal, but little things like this bug me. :p

Nocturnal

Banned
God-tier gameplay, the game is unmatched in this department... but the scenarios suck, they feel too repetitive, too same-y.

Hmph. My PS3 contoller's broken, and the PS4 controller doesn't work with either the HD Collection, or DMC4. Really want to play the games again, but not enough to shell out another £40 for a controller I'll use for two games.

Still though, DMC3 is one of my top games of all time, maybe even THE top. Everything just clicked, from the gameplay, the story, the bosses and the atmosphere, everything just came together and formed a cohesive whole that barely any games I've played on the PS3 or 4 have matched.

Top Bottom