• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 3 10th Anniversary | Better late than Cuhraizy!

so would the consensus on gaf be that DMC 3 is the greatest action game of all time what would be it's biggest competitor for that title on here?

so would the consensus on gaf be that DMC 3 is the greatest action game of all time what would be it's biggest competitor for that title on here?

The general consensus from what I've seen is that it's usually a split between Ninja Gaiden Black, DMC3:SE, and Bayonetta.

Personally, I think all three games represent the best of the genre well enough that whichever one is the best between them is irrelevant.

My biased opinion, though? It's between DMC3 and Ninja Gaiden Black.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

The holy trinity of character action is generally considered DMC3SE, NGB, and Bayo.

All of them have their dedicated fanbases. Most recently, DMC3SE and NGB went head to head in the GAF Game of the Generation vote, and unfortunately DMC3SE was just edged out over NGB (NGB was number 21, and DMC3SE was number 22). Still, top 25 in a generation of killers.

But for me? It's DMC3.

dmc3 always felt a lot tighter control wise than 4. at least jump canceling feels better to me. 4 dante is pretty godlike though. 3 is still such a solid action game with a lot more variety than what 4 offers (until 4SE that is). and the missions and bosses are much better. 4 is kinda half-baked but the gameplay is still great.

oni-link

The holy trinity of character action is generally considered DMC3SE, NGB, and Bayo.

All of them have their dedicated fanbases. Most recently, DMC3SE and NGB went head to head in the GAF Game of the Generation vote, and unfortunately DMC3SE was just edged out over NGB (NGB was number 21, and DMC3SE was number 22). Still, top 25 in a generation of killers.

What is the best way to play NGB? Is it only on Xbox?

It's weird it's not been remastered, a lot of games that sold poorly but got critical acclaim were remastered last gen, Beyond Good & Evil, Okami etc

Maybe it will get re-released at some point in the future

It'd be so tough picking one but I'd definitely put it in the pantheon of all time greats with NGB, Bayo 1 / 2, God Hand, and W101.

It's weird it's not been remastered, a lot of games that sold poorly but got critical acclaim were remastered last gen, Beyond Good & Evil, Okami etc

It's backwards compatible on 360, and runs at full widescreen frame and 720p IIRC.

BadWolf

God Hand.

Amazing arsenal of moves and the best dodge system ever with a unique difficulty system, all packaged in the awesome Fist of the North Star visual style.

Oh and the best credits ever.

It a PS3 port (Ninja Gaiden Sigma) and a Vita port of said PS3 port (Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus)

With that said, your best bet is still just getting it on 360.

I think the very best are probably Bayonetta, Ninja Gaiden Black, and God Hand. DMC3 is definitely great though, but I'd put DMC1 and 4 over it as well.

Trojan X

Banned
The BEST DMC ever.

I really hope all these post about DMC3 and 4 rains so hard on Capcom that they really do give us DMC5 and not the awful DMC by NInja Theory.

It's between DMC3, Bayonetta and Godhand. For me along with my crazy DMC3 super expert friends, Bayonetta takes it.

i really want to try Godhand now that you guys mention it as the upper echelon of action games on the same level as DMC 3...

i just looked at an IGN review of the game and it got a 3/10...someone tell me what happened?

i really want to try Godhand now that you guys mention it as the upper echelon of action games on the same level as DMC 3...

i just looked at an IGN review of the game and it got a 3/10...someone tell me what happened?

The IGN review should be absolutely disregarded. It's literally one of the worst game reviews of all time.

oni-link

The entire game is 20 missions, though the later missions are a little shorter in general.

FYI, you can actually Devil Trigger and instantly break out of that Nevan grab if necessary.

Played all the way from Nevan to Virgil 2

Beowulf wasn't too hard but still look me 25 or so goes, Virgil 2 look about that many tries as well, but again wasn't too difficult, the horse boss took me ages though

I only really use the main sword and the nun chucks, and I'd say like 90% of the time I just use the main sword, I almost never use anything other than the pistols either, and as I have all those leveled up, I have like 40k orbs at the moment lol, though trickster hit level 3 too

I'm 10 hours in and only about to start mission 14 so I def think this will be closer to 20 hours than 10 when all is said and done

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Played all the way from Nevan to Virgil 2

Beowulf wasn't too hard but still look me 25 or so goes, Virgil 2 look about that many tries as well, but again wasn't too difficult, the horse boss took me ages though

I only really use the main sword and the nun chucks, and I'd say like 90% of the time I just use the main sword, I almost never use anything other than the pistols either, and as I have all those leveled up, I have like 40k orbs at the moment lol, though trickster hit level 3 too

I'm 10 hours in and only about to start mission 14 so I def think this will be closer to 20 hours than 10 when all is said and done

You really should be using other weapons, man. Like, you're practically not even playing the same game if you use Rebellion for 90% of it and Cerberus for the remaining 10%, and don't weapon swap.

Like, just to give you an idea, because I think it helps visually, here's a DMC3 combo video without any spoilers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDS5AA_5rcU

Look at the options and speed. It probably looks like he's playing a completely different game.

oni-link

You really should be using other weapons, man. Like, you're practically not even playing the same game if you use Rebellion for 90% of it and Cerberus for the remaining 10%, and don't weapon swap.

Like, just to give you an idea, because I think it helps visually, here's a DMC3 combo video without any spoilers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDS5AA_5rcU

Look at the options and speed. It probably looks like he's playing a completely different game.

Yeah I will, I'll level a load up next time I play, I always go overly cautious when I play a really hard game and try to save resources etc, I did the same with God Hand (Still can't believe I managed to beat that)

I'm too comfortable with the double jumping the sword lets me do, jump and air dodge away is my go to move when the shit hits the fan, when I lose that I get slaughtered

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Yeah I will, I'll level a load up next time I play, I always go overly cautious when I play a really hard game and try to save resources etc, I did the same with God Hand (Still can't believe I managed to beat that)

I'm too comfortable with the double jumping the sword lets me do, jump and air dodge away is my go to move when the shit hits the fan, when I lose that I get slaughtered

I can understand that. Have you been purchasing Blue Orbs? Doing Secret Missions and Combat Adjudicators? They can help your survivability. Also enemies often drop green orbs if you're actually low on health.

I know that Air Hike (double jump) is huge, but Rebellion isn't the only one that has it. Agni&Rudra and Beowulf both have Air Hike as well. And even if you don't go that route, you always have Rebellion in your back pocket for Air Hike. If you had Cerberus, and you needed the double jump, you could literally tap R1 and then X while in midair and have Air Hike at your disposal.

oni-link

I can understand that. Have you been purchasing Blue Orbs? Doing Secret Missions and Combat Adjudicators? They can help your survivability. Also enemies often drop green orbs if you're actually low on health.

I know that Air Hike (double jump) is huge, but Rebellion isn't the only one that has it. Agni&Rudra and Beowulf both have Air Hike as well. And even if you don't go that route, you always have Rebellion in your back pocket for Air Hike. If you had Cerberus, and you needed the double jump, you could literally tap R1 and then X while in midair and have Air Hike at your disposal.

That is what I did with the horse boss, Air Hike and Stinger are huge for how I play

I think I found a blue orb somewhere, but I've not brought any, I might do that first actually

Virgil 2 would take me from 100% life to 0% life if 2 of his combos connected, so I probably have the smallest life bar

I didn't know those also had Air Hike, I'll def upgrade those

Timu

I should play this game since I owned it in the DMC Collection since 2012 and keep forgetting to play it for some reason.

Soodanim

Gold Member
I recently finished off 1, moved onto 2, realised just how different it was, then left it to return to 3, my starting point for the series. I played it differently this time round though.

When I first played on PS2, I never left sword master. I decided everything else was inferior, and I think I played with
A&R and Beowolf
exclusively. But this time I did the whole game as trickster, and used Rebellion and Cerberus the whole way with some
guitar
action for a few levels. I definitely changed my mind about that, and my god the SSS combos come easily with that. I also used DT an appropriate amount, unlike on PS2 where I treated it like a Final Fanta megalixir and never used it at all.

I've noticed that I'm no longer able to do the elegantly named "jumping off enemies and keep doing air attacks" trick like I used to be able to, nor do I have the timing for Royal guard down anymore. And the other styles will never appeal to me, I think. I'd rather keep my DT for Doing.

And I still don't get the appeal of gunslinger.

I still love this game, but imo it was surpassed a long time ago with Ninja Gaiden 2, Bayonetta 2 and DMC 4. DMC3 is a milestone regardless and still top notch.

oni-link

Holy shit on at what I assume will be the end boss, but first:

Lady was a nice boss fight, got her on my 2nd try, but it was a nice stand out from the others in the game, having to find her before she can get away

The shadow Dante was easy as well, but he took way too long, I was expecting him to get harder at 50% life but he didn't, so by the time I had his patterns down it was a rinse and repeat for about 5 mins till he fell

Arkham was annoying as hell, and he forced me to use items for the first time as well, to boost my life and also I used a holy water, mainly to just get rid of the mob, but it hit the boss as well apparently as me using it triggered the end of fight cut scene (think the boss was on about 10% life)

What was mainly annoying was when I was close to him it felt like the camera was too close, so I couldn't get a good read on the bosses attacks before they hit me, but Virgil joining the fight was awesome though it was mainly having my dodge taken away from me that caused me to need healing items

Also mission 15 was annoying, spent ages getting lost and not knowing what to do, I prefer these types of games to be linear because I like the challenging combat, but getting lost and not knowing where to go is frustrating and means the combat becomes annoying as it just gets in the way of you trying to find out what you're meant to do

MGR, God Hand and Bayonetta were more like this, less puzzles and more kill everything and move on

I tried to fight Virgil on mission 20 twice, first time got him to 50%, 2nd time to about 70% then gave up as I'd played for a while and the boss rush 2 missions before that took a lot out of me, I have two golden continues as well so hopefully I'll beat the game later today or tomorrow

Top Bottom