• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mighty No. 9 [New images from INTI FESTA]

nded

For the record, I think the game looks fine. I just think it would look even better if everything weren't so blue.

noHa2ys.jpg

Anyone know what game this is?

The washed out nature of the screens makes me wonder if it is a victim of RGB settings not being done properly or something.

Basically.

Mega Man counted on you to figure shit out, having all these talking heads at the bottom of the screen seems like a bad case of missing the point of why people wanted a spiritual sequel so badly.
The dialogue in MN9 doesn't pause the game which is a common problem forced tutorial kind of stuff does.

I don't understand what people were expecting, visually I think it looks pretty good. I hope the 3DS version is good, that's likely what I'm gonna buy it on.

LeonSPBR

This game looks ugly as hell. I remember the beautiful images that they showed on their kickstarter... and this is their final product. Thank god I didn't put my money on it.

Multiple pages of discussion of the graphics in a mega man clone

A nine minute gameplay demo is mostly ignored

I swear you guys

MrBadger

They were extra mediocre on the visuals though (and on the music too).

I thought Powered Up's art style and soundtrack were both great and worked well. Wasn't too big on Maverick Hunter X though. Powered Up's remixes really straightened up MM1's mess of a boss theme

Card Boy

Banned
This is what it should of looked like from the concept art on the KS page.

a4d2477d01ae7a44bffec74b42906c0d_large.jpg

If there is ever a postmortem on why this bombed and failed you know the answer. Getting almost 4 million of funds doesn't mean it won't bomb, have a look at Ouya or the underwhelming sales of Broke Age. The 2.5 shit we got now looks ugly as fuck.

Skilletor

If there is ever a postmortem on why this bombed and failed you know the answer. Getting almost 4 million of funds doesn't mean it won't bomb, have a look at Ouya or the underwhelming sales of Broke Age. The 2.5 shit we got now looks ugly as fuck.

Yeah, games should totally bomb if some people don't like the graphics.

Conversely, The Order should sell eleventy billion copies.

Ishida

Banned

Such bullshit. If the game fails it will be because of the art style? People are forgetting this game actually has gameplay? Fucking ridiculous. So far I haven't seen any of the haters discussing the gameplay systems, or the bosses, or the music. Nope, only the art style! And it "sucks", therefore the game will also suck.

Gamers these days... I feel old.

Skilletor

Such bullshit. If the game fails it will be because of the art style? People are forgetting this game actually has gameplay? Fucking ridiculous. So far I haven't seen any of the haters discussing the gameplay systems, or the bosses, or the music. Nope, only the art style! And it "sucks", therefore the game will also suck.

Graphics should melt my eyes. I don't need to play them, especially since after my eyes have been melted, I can't see.

RM8

You would think fans of classic Mega Man would be less likely to dismiss a game based on graphics :(

Blues1990

*Pats Ishida on the back*

I think the game isn't shying away from what it's goal is, and very much like Azure Striker Gunvolt, I'm happy that Mighty No. 9 is going to fill that void of being a rock-solid Mega Man-style platformer, and as long as it can accomplish that, then I'm good.

Ishida

Banned
*Pats Ishida on the back*

I think the game isn't shying away from what it's goal is, and very much like Azure Striker Gunvolt, I'm happy that Mighty No. 9 is going to fill that void of being a rock-solid Mega Man-style platformer, and as long as it can accomplish that, then I'm good.

Yeah... I just find it ridiculous to see people already bashing the whole game, wishing it to fail/bomb and "regretting their donations" just because the art style is not 2.5D.

Everything I've seen about the gameplay, characters and music seems truly amazing, and faithful to the Mega Man formula. I wonder if these people were actually interested in the game to begin with...

Yes and it was only on 2 platforms. Dragons crown is a beautiful game but was not a kick starter game.

Porting it to other platforms would have quadrupled the dev costs?

This game has near 4 times the budget of DC. Thats not the only example if you look at Indies.

All I can say is that given the funding amount the end result solely based on visuals is disappointing. Lets hope the gameplay is as good as previous games.

Blues1990

Yeah... I just find it ridiculous to see people already bashing the whole game, wishing it to fail/bomb and "regretting their donations" just because the art style is not 2.5D.

Everything I've seen about the gameplay, characters and music seems truly amazing, and faithful to the Mega Man formula. I wonder if these people were actually interested in the game to begin with...

It just comes to show that no matter what you do, even if you have a check-list of accomplishing what your game is set out to do, there will always be a group of hecklers that will egg you for not wanting your final product being what they think it should be.

BiggNife

If there is ever a postmortem on why this bombed and failed you know the answer. [Getting almost 4 million of funds doesn't mean it won't bomb, have a look at Ouya or the underwhelming sales of Broke Age. The 2.5 shit we got now looks ugly as fuck.

The game isn't even out yet, dude. You're kinda jumping to conclusions.

I agree with everyone else that the graphics are a letdown, but the gameplay I've seen so far looks pretty fun so I'm still cautiously optimistic. Ugly games can still be a ton of fun.

Miker

They were extra mediocre on the visuals though (and on the music too).

For reference, here are some high-res screenshots of the PSP Mega Man games in PPSSPP:

(This came from gaf's own Mega Man community thread!)

(This one is a screen cap of a YouTube video, I think)

I'm not a fan of the character design for Beck, nor do I particularly like the rendering style overall. As far as graphics go, I'd definitely take either of the PSP games over Might No. 9.

Wereroku

Porting it to other platforms would have quadrupled the dev costs?

This game has near 4 times the budget of DC. Thats not the only example if you look at Indies.

All I can say is that given the funding amount the end result solely based on visuals is disappointing. Lets hope the gameplay is as good as previous games.

Please find me an article that says that DC cost one million to make. All the articles state it was over one millions dollars. Also yes multiple platforms could increase the cost of the game especially since they are contracting a company to do the dev work on the main platforms and another company to do the dev work on the handheld ports. The costs for DC were the pure dev costs they handled it all themselves.

Nope. But I thought this game was a straight up Megaman clone. Well I'm disappointed now, I'll try out a demo if there is one.

You don't have to dash to kill them but it improves your score rating. The caveat is you do have to drain the bosses to defeat them. Most other enemies you can just shoot to death. Watch the gameplay preview they do it on at least one enemy.

Vamphuntr

You sound more angry and self centered than old. Not everyone has the same criteria to what they consider a good game. With the amount of games in my steam backlog and with many new releases coming up I think it's fairly legitimate to toss aside game that don't look very good to me.

Too bad I backed this. I thought Azure Striker was terrible so my confidence in this is really low.

Wereroku

You sound more angry and self centered than old. Not everyone has the same criteria to what they consider a good game. With the amount of games in my steam backlog and with many new releases coming up I think it's fairly legitimate to toss aside game that don't look very good to me.

Too bad I backed this. I thought Azure Striker was terrible so my confidence in this is really low.

I doubt you are the one bothering him. The annoying folks are the ones just sitting here shitting on it without actually bothering to watch anything. You are free to hate this game but at least be informed when you start shitting on it.

Village

While I do not agree this game and epically this situation is worthy of art style scorn people have been lobbing at it.

I do condone the notion of not being interested in a project if it isn't visually interesting. And practice it.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Why would you produce a sample art for the game that looked absolutely beautiful, and then proceed to make a game that looks absolutely nothing like it?

As said, Dragon's crown was made on a budget of 1 mil. For reason reason 4 times that much that wasnt enough to make an attractive looking product

I swear you guys
GAF discussions on game graphics are starting to become more of an amusement to me than a bother.

That gamespot video raised my hype a lot though.
You have to dash to kill the enemies?
This is not the game I wanted. :(
In the video there are points where he also shoots an enemy to kill it (shooting only).

For reference, here are some high-res screenshots of the PSP Mega Man games in PPSSPP:
Didn't these games also ran at 60? These graphics are pretty good.

BadWolf

You have to dash to kill the enemies?
This is not the game I wanted. :(

Going by the vids it looks like you can kill them normally too but if you dash into them after hitting them enough for them to change color then you absorb them and it counts as part of a combo chain.

So you can either kill them normally or dash and absorb if you are into combo chaining and high scores. It's a choice.

Eusis

As said, Dragon's crown was made on a budget of 1 mil. For reason reason 4 times that much that wasnt enough to make an attractive looking product
Well, Vanillaware goes with something akin to flash animation for how their characters move, which probably drops costs a lot versus traditional sprite drawing, especially at that detail, and I'm not sure Mighty No. 9 would feel right with that sort of animation. But then Mighty No. 9 didn't really need a highly detailed, very smooth animation style either, so I guess it's just kind of a bum call to go full 3D versus following the example of Wayforward and AT LEAST do sprites on a 3D background or something.

I swear you guys
Didn't you know? Graphics are 90% of the whole game.

Since 2000.

Well, Vanillaware goes with something akin to flash animation for how their characters move, which probably drops costs a lot versus traditional sprite drawing, especially at that detail, and I'm not sure Mighty No. 9 would feel right with that sort of animation. But then Mighty No. 9 didn't really need a highly detailed, very smooth animation style either, so I guess it's just kind of a bum call to go full 3D versus following the example of Wayforward and AT LEAST do sprites on a 3D background or something.
I think they do something similar to this:

alex_thrid_strike_hd_by_steamboy33-d4vmx3y.gif

But sort of better.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

I guess i was just expecting too much from Inafune's group. As you say, Vanillaware doesn't do traditional pixel drawings like was done with the original Megaman side scrollers pre X7 era or the older fighting games(i think french bread and arc are the only ones who still use sprites). But their work does give a similar vibe and still looks absolutely beautiful while doing it. Same with Switch Force.

I just don't understand using unappealing low res blocky looking 3D assets like this. Takes a lot out of the presentation.

RM8

It should have been 2D, I agree, but I would have hated flash-like animation like that Alex sprite :x

Top Bottom