• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY X/X-2 HD Remaster coming to PS4 on May 12 (NA)

Xenus

I think Square Enix knows its audience for these HD cash grabs, they probably don't think the Xbox One is a worthwhile investment (yet) except for the bigger games like FFXV and KH3 and even then we'll have to see what the platform splits will look like which is going to be very interesting™
NPD inside joke

Still, it begs the question on why FF Type-0 is multiplat and this isn't, also I can't imagine Sony paying for that FFVII PC -> PS4 port, they can't be that stupid right? Square Enix is a strange unpredictable company though so I guess you shouldn't always expect a logic answer for their decisions.

Bookmarked aww yeaah.

Only reason Type-0 is multiplat is probably the FFXV demo. It seems like at the begiinning of the Gen SE bet on X1 being the big winner in the US again thus the multiplat. With the PS4 outdoing their expectations in the US it makes ports less appatizing and they haven't announced much multiplat for the X1 since. I'm willing to bet FFXV sales will be make or break for if the X1 gets anymore of their Japanese branch titles

Only reason Type-0 is multiplat is probably the FFXV demo. It seems like at the begiinning of the Gen SE bet on X1 being the big winner in the US again thus the multiplat. With the PS4 outdoing their expectations in the US it makes ports less appatizing and they haven't announced much multiplat for the X1 since. I'm willing to bet FFXV sales will be make or break for if the X1 gets anymore of their Japanese branch titles

i wonder Microsoft plans to throw lots of money for an exclusive official bundle for XV or KH3.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I was under the impression the similarities between the XB1 and PS4 would have made it easier for porting purposes.

I'm also expecting FF12 HD and KH HD collection for the XB1 due to that reasoning.

You make a valid point though, as Sony has nothing to gain from making any of these timed-exclusives.

They probably looked at where the majority of the fanbase is/where they want it and went from there. Same reason they did all those deals with MS last generation due to its popularity.

Hollycat

It looks exactly like the PS3 version. I guess this is for new playstation owners?

I wont be buying any more hd ff's until they remake XII or Crisis Core.

Xenus

i wonder Microsoft plans to throw lots of money for an exclusive official bundle for XV or KH3.

I doubt they could afford it. But essentially if the games do less then 1 million sales worldwide on X1 I see that as deathknel for their future support. Especially if ports 6 months to a 1 year later on PC become a thing SE see's working with FFXIII being their pilot there.

Xenus

There's definitely a visual difference. Looks sharper and smoother on the edges.

Also it looks like they upped the particles to look more like the PS2 release in the stream in Zanarkand. Some slight lighting/modeling differences but it's mostly looking sharper (downsampling/even higher res textures?) and the complete lack of any Aliased edges in those screens

R-User!

If FFXII HD gets announced, I'll buy all of it's supporters here a copy. It's literally the only game I'd play for months.

Yet another supporter! Thanks for buying us a copy! I would imagine that we'd totally pay for shipping! I will! Now if I want a collectors edition will you subsidize the base value? IOW, can I get 40-60 off the collectors edition?

Wow! Your amazing!

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
LOL @ the "fuck you" move of removing the old music for the PSVita and PS3 versions then adding it back in for the much later PS4 release

So why exactly couldn't we have the classic soundtrack option in the PS3 version??? I loved the new soundtrack but why keep that option PS4 only?

Also will there be another trophy set because I don't see the reason to buy it for a third time if the PS3/PS4/ and Vita versions share the same trophy sets...

Falk has repeatedly said that its not as simple as them intentionally holding back the soundtrack switching. He would know the actual logistics of doing that sort of thing for SE.

The love for FFXII is REAL, I love how the mediocre FFX has become a means to get the best FF of all time.

Sign me up for one of those free copies!

Also, no.

It looks exactly like the PS3 version. I guess this is for new playstation owners?

I wont be buying any more hd ff's until they remake XII or Crisis Core.

There's actually quite a big upgrade here if one looks close

Son Of D

I still think we'll get an announcement of FFXII HD either this year or early next year for a late 2016 release. It fits in with the 10th anniversary.

Then again this is Square Enix so they'll release it in 2018 so it can be the 12th Anniversary of FFXII.

If FFXII HD gets announced, I'll buy all of it's supporters here a copy. It's literally the only game I'd play for months.

If there's a special edition I'm up for that.

neoism

Yes sir I played it for 3 months straight ever day I would get up at like 5 30 in the morning to get an hour or so before college. Lol I still have my 200 h 100% save <3 really can't wait for it ...
I skipped this on ps3 is this 1080p or the same thing as the ps3 version ......it's 720p right?

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
I still haven't played my PS3 copy. Totally gonna quadruple dip with this though. Really want to just retire my PS3.

What's up with the lack of Final Fantasy Steelbooks in NA? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Type-0's the first one we're getting since XII. Really a bummer since I love steelbooks.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Yes sir I played it for 3 months straight ever day I would get up at like 5 30 in the morning to get an hour or so before college. Lol I still have my 200 h 100% save <3 really can't wait for it ...
I skipped this on ps3 is this 1080p or the same thing as the ps3 version ......it's 720p right?

The PS3 version is 1080p native. This PS4 version is probably internally ressed at a much higher resolution than that(i'm guessing maybe 1440p)

Okay those who replied (quoted) already get one and that's it lol.

I'll get one more for someone AFTER its announced. It will be one of the greatest days of my life! :)

chemicals

This supports my EVERY GAME WILL BE ON PS4 theory. Think about how many ps4s have been sold worldwide.

I personally do not like all of these remasters. Remember PS2 played up-res'd PSone games right off the discs.

toneroni

Thinking if I should play FFX-2 on vita or ps4. Also would love them to remake 12 as my ps2 died before I could finish it.

Skilletor

This supports my EVERY GAME WILL BE ON PS4 theory. Think about how many ps4s have been sold worldwide.

I personally do not like all of these remasters. Remember PS2 played up-res'd PSone games right off the discs.

They weren't "up-res'd." And every PS3 still plays PSX games.

Alo0oy

Banned
I was under the impression the similarities between the XB1 and PS4 would have made it easier for porting purposes.

I'm also expecting FF12 HD and KH HD collection for the XB1 due to that reasoning.

You make a valid point though, as Sony has nothing to gain from making any of these timed-exclusives.

Final Fantasy X is exclusive for the same reason Persona 5 & Guilty Gear are exclusive....Playstation is the only platform where they'll sell more than 5 copies. Sony doesn't care about moneyhatting those games because nobody buys an Xbox for Japanese games.

Final Fantasy X is exclusive for the same reason Persona 5 & Guilty Gear are exclusive....Playstation is the only platform where they'll sell more than 5 copies. Sony doesn't care about moneyhatting those games because nobody buys an Xbox for Japanese games.

I bought my Xbox One for D4. Just saying.

The best part of this news is that if they make a FF XII HD, it seems certain rather than likely to be for the PS4 instead of just the PS3 and Vita/TV.

Please give it a NewGame+ that has enemy leveling scale and no level cap, and Tactics Ogre sized dungeons (copy/paste or not; just give us content).

FFXII IZJS has equipment that makes getting Danjuro look like a walk in the park, btw. Such a grind if you're a completionist.

To be honest IZJS really really ought to have a real-ass new game+ FFX-2 style, where your levels are reset but you keep all of the equipment and abilities and gambits you've unlocked. especially with the assorted hunter trophy stuff in the late game.

And, I dunno, I've also always felt that IZJS would be drastically improved by having you fill out the license board for all twelve jobs but getting to re-equip jobs to characters anytime 're at a save point. Not a big fan of the way it feels like you can gimp yourself or give yourself a significant advantage with the right or wrong party setup.

Well, Australia pays $90 for this...

B_O1sp7UsAEIjwQ.png

Alo0oy

Banned
To be honest IZJS really really ought to have a real-ass new game+ FFX-2 style, where your levels are reset but you keep all of the equipment and abilities and gambits you've unlocked. especially with the assorted hunter trophy stuff in the late game.

I want new game+ in X too, but it would be very hard to implement that, maybe you only keep the weapons/armor/sphere grid changes?

Falk

that puzzling face
Some weapons are obtained as a part of the story. Although I guess that doesn't really matter since duplicates wouldn't break the game.

I heard this is one of the best final fantasies? As someone who has a very bad taste for final fantasy games after 13 (it was the only one I played) should I have this game on my radar?

Top Bottom