• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Patch Released for Halo: MCC. It actually works!

Naked Lunch

need to add ranks to more playlists to stop people from quitting.

Internet Halo fans keep saying this then demanding Halo should never have Join In Progress.

Ranks wont do anything because rage quitters dont give a shit - they are going to quit no matter what. Matchmaking bans wont work either. Penalties mean nothing to a rage quitter.

This is what you get if you dont want Join In Progress. Deal with it.

Sephzilla

Something along the lines of a 2-3 minute timeout from searching for new matches would also be a good idea. Make it stack for each subsequent quit as well.

adopting a league of legends time out system for quitting i think would remedy the quitting issue a lot.

JackHerer

Internet Halo fans keep saying this then demanding Halo should never have Join In Progress.

Ranks wont do anything because rage quitters dont give a shit - they are going to quit no matter what. Matchmaking bans wont work either. Penalties mean nothing to a rage quitter.

I do think that ranking deters quitting to some noticeable degree. Halo 5 beta actually had relatively few quitters IME, likely due to the fact that everything was ranked. Still, I think they should actually go the other direction and just abandon the idea of ranks in this game. It certainly shouldn't be expanded to the other playlists at this point. The system they have in place is obviously not working correctly in the one playlist it is turned on in. Whether that is because of low-population or just shitty coding is irrelevant. No ranking system is better than a utterly broken one.

Nutter

Join in Progress sucks.

Impala26

Join in Progress sucks.

It's been said before and I'll say it here again:

Unranked--> J.I.P.
Ranked--> No J.I.P.

Pretty fair compromise I'd say.

I've had this annoying (bug perhaps) where in the main screen after I boot it up, on the bottom right hand corner I get a pop up msg saying I've unlocked new movies, titles etc. But this happens every time, even though I've checked out the symbols, movies, titles etc.
I think I'll just re install it.

I fully expect halo 5 BTB to have join in progress. I'm expecting big things from Halo 5 BTB!

I've been in matchmaking for about three hours this afternoon, good experiences thus far. Wanna party up?

I'm done with halo multiplayer. Its dead to me with this crap.

Its honestly kind of hard to go back to after getting into cs:go and battlefield. It feels old In a bad way.

Ghazi

Just saw the thread title and about to confirm if it's true.

Please don't be playing with my feelings OP.

Matches still crash, end prematurely, and have various other issues. It's far from fixed, but this patch certainly makes it much easier to deal with this game.

Vinc

Out of around 20 matches or matchmaking attempts since the patch so far, I only had 4 successful, lag-less matches, and matchmaking times are still bad :(

I feel ripped off.

Chucker

Its honestly kind of hard to go back to after getting into cs:go and battlefield. It feels old In a bad way.

vuZwIyy.jpg

2 of the games are over 10 years old. I'm sure you're aware of that. They do feel old, but I still have fun with them.

Something along the lines of a 2-3 minute timeout from searching for new matches would also be a good idea. Make it stack for each subsequent quit as well.

Halo fans seem to love the idea of penalizing players for quitting. This is such a horrible, anti-player idea. I shouldn't be penalized for wanting to quit out of a lopsided BTB game, or choosing to do something else with my time.

As much as Halo fans cry foul at the idea, Join in Progress is the way to go.

Matches still crash, end prematurely, and have various other issues. It's far from fixed, but this patch certainly makes it much easier to deal with this game.
Yea I just found out when my 2nd BTB game crashed but at least the sniper on Halo 2 feels better now considering I just got a running riot.

Guarantee it's not 100%. Most likely never will be.

Better? Maybe.

I logged on once after the patch. I had completed 4 or 5 playlists in CE, 4 in Halo 2, 3 in Halo 3, 4 in Halo 4, and 4 in the Cross-game playlists prior to the patch.

After the patch I have completed ZERO in any of the titles, and ZERO in the cross-game playlist. Aka, it erased my playlist completions for 15 different playlists I had done prior to the patch.

This is despite the fact that I did them from start to finish other than skipping 2 levels in Halo 2 LASO (leap frogged over regret and gravemind).

GG 343i

tuna_love

Banned

Better? Maybe.

I logged on once after the patch. I had completed 4 or 5 playlists in CE, 4 in Halo 2, 3 in Halo 3, 4 in Halo 4, and 4 in the Cross-game playlists prior to the patch.

After the patch I have completed ZERO in any of the titles, and ZERO in the cross-game playlist. Aka, it erased my playlist completions for 15 different playlists I had done prior to the patch.

This is despite the fact that I did them from start to finish other than skipping 2 levels in Halo 2 LASO (leap frogged over regret and gravemind).

GG 343i
Wasn't this just a multiplayer patch?

watership

I'm really struggling to see what was improved here. I've sat at the menu for 10 minutes with 7/8 players and it says searching......

And now it cleared out all the players it had matched with.

This game is still just as bad as it was at launch

That is completely false. There are still bugs and issues, but it's never worked as good as it does now.

Ghazi

Better? Maybe.

GG 343i
That really sucks, I originally returned the game because it lost my LASO save. I was fortunate enough to have a friend try and cut his losses and sell me his copy for $15 so I'll be ready to play it more when it's fixed.
Yea I just found out when my 2nd BTB game crashed but at least the sniper on Halo 2 feels better now considering I just got a running riot.
I pulled some good snipes yesterday, definitely feeling better than it did before. I hope we get a steady ramp up in patches that have improvements like that.

realzzz

Neo Member
The matchmaking times are a lot better but there is still room for improvement, maybe because there are a lot less people playing so its negatively affecting matchmaking times...

SaviourMK2

So I'm playing the Maw for the umpteenth time, LASO, solo.
After my original process was deleted, my 2nd attempt ended with me in an impossible scenario (trapped in a hallway between sentinels and flood who had zero interest in each other, less than 1 bar of life left and NO grenades), and my 3rd attempt where my controller decided to re-sync while I was attempting to save/quit and ended up restarting the level, losing 4 hours of progress.

My 4th attempt is going ok, but I reached a point where a hunter is being driven out of a room by flood spores, I save/quit after I got sucker punched. Everytime I try to resume the game, it freezes the game, makes a long buzzing sound and crashes the game.

Any ideas?

Wasn't this just a multiplayer patch?

No they patched some campaign stuff too. They apparently patched out the ability to 'share' checkpoints in playlists. In the process, my guess is they somehow managed to cause another glitch that erases the record of having completed playlists previously (for some people at least).

I know I logged like 15-20 hours on the MC Saga playlist alone. Having that progress (along with the other 14 playlists I completed) erased just because they were trying to prevent people from exploiting checkpoints to finish the LASO playlist is kinda shitty.

Takashi

First game after the patch: welp. Though to be fair, I'm not sure if my internet was acting up during that game so it could've been that.

After a break, I tried again and got some H3 Foundry. I was teamed up with 3 split screeners who left a minute in. Even at 4v1 I still held the lead for a while, but eventually they caught up cause I wasn't about to camp to hold the lead. End result was the scrubs barely winning 30-26 lol.

Maybe a bit early to say, but the search times for those two games were very fast- probably under a minute- so definitely some progress. Gonna play a few more games, see how much it's improved.

MrGerbils

I really want to be excited, but I returned my copy after waiting a month for it to work. I don't think these early
impressions of this latest patch maybe working a bit better are enough for me to pick it up again at full price.

Hopefully someday they add it to games with gold so I can peek back in to the multiplayer one day.

metzger203

Tried playing some solo BTB, took 5-7 minutes to find a match. That's okay I guess. Teams were seemingly even. Then I got to the voting screen: Slayer on Valhalla, CTF on Valhalla, and Crazy King on Valhalla. All Halo 3. That's really shitty. Took another 2-3 minutes to load the map, then got an instant game over.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I really want to be excited, but I returned my copy after waiting a month for it to work. I don't think these early
impressions of this latest patch maybe working a bit better are enough for me to pick it up again at full price.

Hopefully someday they add it to games with gold so I can peek back in to the multiplayer one day.
I sold my copy after a month but then got a new copy for $30 which happened to arrive the day of the patch, and I'm totally satisfied. There's still issues, but it's good enough for me to truly enjoy it. I've played a good eight hours since the patch released, and the main feeling I've been having is that it's good to be playing Halo again. The occasional annoyances are extremely minor to me now.

Prior to this update I hated how it never kept me with the same group of people -- I was always sent to the main menu to be forced to select the playlist again & re-initiate a search. Did the update patch this so I can keep w/ the same group of people?

Darn it, no. It's one of my top ten beefs with this collection. That and:

Lack of joining custom game sessions in progress, no objective placements in Halo 3 Forge, no editng trait zones in Halo 4 (actually I don't give a damn its Halo 4), no theatre mode like Halo 3 or 4 (where you could de-tach the camera) and no Hammer or Grifball in H2A Forge.

I did play a LOT of BTB today with a party, and with very few hiccups. Microsoft and 343 are slowly getting closer to my considering taking them off my ultimate shit list...maybe.

Takashi

After playing quite a bit tonight

+ avg search times around 2-3 mins
+ lag/host issues seem to be reduced
+ even teams for the most part

− though improved, H2 netcode still far from perfect
− CE spawns still janky at times (I don't think the patch touched on that anyway)
− AR/SMG starts should not exist in this day and age

Gestault

I'm done with halo multiplayer. Its dead to me with this crap.

I don't mean to be too harsh, but you claimed to be trying this like, moments before I posted, and now you're not even interested in trying: Do you honestly own this game and have been trying as you described, or are you just making up negative posts because of how you felt regardless of the MCC release?

Top Bottom