• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DirectX 12 adds a 20% gpu boost to the PC version of Fable

LordOfChaos

Compared to DX11? Sure, maybe. Not compared to the low level console APIs in existence, surely. So at best this would allow devs going the easy route to use the GPU 20% better, it's not "adding" anything on top of the already max theoretical figures for the XBO GPU.

Bgamer90

Banned
Is that the new Xbox dashboard or the dashboard for the Xbox app on Windows?

f67c7f26-ea2d-4f98-9973-a9212dabbafe_1000.jpg

No, just the interface of Pinball FX.

You all do realize that the PS4 still has 50 percent more shaders and is 1.84 tflops compared to the Xbox at 1.31 tflops, it doesn't matter what API they use or what percentages they can squeeze out of the hardware, the PS4 will always be more powerful.

RyudBoy

While I'm sure DX12 will be good for Xbox One, I'm going to remain skeptical until they release something that rivals The Order or DriveClub graphically.

Maybe Forza 6 will do just that. We'll see.

How many people are actually bringing up console war stuff though? I think people are just confusing "boosts" with "gains in efficiency".

Regardless, this is great for Xbone and PC users :p A better Direct X is a win across the board.

Let's just wait and see. Has nobody learned not to take anything these companies say at face value?

So much bullshit in the past, I'd be cynical if they said they breathed oxygen.

viveks86

A claim like that should need a specific before-and-after tech demonstration to take anywhere near face value. Like, show a retail game that had known performance shortcomings running with 20% more efficient rendering.

This. Just a flat number like that doesn't say much other than "good news"

But it is good news for sure.

pastrami

Damn, basically, a boost every 6 months - 1 year... and it gets bigger! First it was 10%, now 20%... this console is unstoppable. PS4 is dead.

If this trend continues, in three more years the Xbox One will be 17 times more powerful than it currently is! 24 terflops, here we come!

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I genuinely worried now as a Sony fan and a PS4 owner what should I do?

A more powerful Xbox One is good news for multiplatform development for PS4. It will mean devs will spend less time optimising the Xbox One version so more time on PS4.

Damn, basically, a boost every 6 months - 1 year... and it gets bigger! First it was 10%, now 20%... this console is unstoppable. PS4 is dead.

I'm not sure we will ever need to see another Xbox, when Sony are releasing the PS5 the Xbox One will be a super computer with all these upgrades.

I see why Sony announced the 20.2 million sell through now. Pre-emptive damage control.

This sounds too good to be true frankly. Personally I think there's a underlying catch to it. I will be waiting to see the results Microsoft.

Heysoos

Might as well lock the thread, damn. Just a bunch of drive by troll posts. It's cool if you don't believe them, given the history, but these threads go to shit to freaking fast.

youre joking right? assuming youre not, they cant ever make it more powerfull, never, heardware is set, the only thing they can do is use it in a more efficient way, you cant spin this.

You really should stop underestimating Microsoft and their world leading engineers. Couple this with them being the creator of Direct X and pretty much anything is possible.

Efficiencies or simply tapping into newly unlocked power. This is game changing news for the Xbox One and the console development landscape. I won't be surprised if now more games start to lead on Xbox One.

As I said before, Revelations 2 was only the start of the tide turning...

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
Still not enough to overcome PS4's GPU advantage, especially in pixel fillrate.

PS4 - 25.6 billion pixels (32 ROPs x 800 MHz)
Xbox One: 13.6 billion pixels (16 ROPs x 853 MHz)

Not to mention PS4 API and GPU driver improvements coming from ICE Team and Razor Team aka SN Systems.

You are so wrong. We haven't heard a whisper from ICE team or Sony. On paper the PS4 looks good but in actual games it's nowhere to be seen. The Order looks good but is a corridor, Driveclub a corridor.
Sony is doomed! Next up: dgPU!

Nictel

I can't tell if some of these posts here are genuine or totally sarcastic. I hope the latter.

This is good news for the console. I doubt it will impact sales any time soon.

For the Xbox fanboyz consolewarz:
This just means games will run at a stable 900p/30fps.

isn't the 20% increase of 900p , 1080p?

misterxmedia was right

900 x 1.2 is 1080.

Except guess what? Resolutions are two-dimensional not one-dimensional.

900p is 1600x900, or 1,440,000 pixels.

1080p is 1920x1080, or 2,073,600 pixels.

20% on top of 900p is... 1,728,000.

So assuming that 20% is solely for resolution, 900p could now instead be:
1680 x 1050...

Woo?

Wait hold on a sec...are we supposed to be getting some sort of preview of what the new UI will look like on the xbox one today as well?

More efficient ways to organize the console would be cool.

edited the more power thing because it made no sense

Nameless

If I hadn't already sold my PS4 due to the RE:Rev debacle and late PS+ games announcement, I would've have now. Give MS an inch and they're gonna take the entire fucking galaxy. Straight rekt.

Might as well lock the thread, damn. Just a bunch of drive by troll posts. It's cool if you don't believe them, given the history, but these threads go to shit to freaking fast.

It's a baseless statement with no evidence to back it up from a company with a terrible history of lying and muddling facts, so what is there to discuss really?

Derpyduck

Banned
So 50 CPU and 20 GPU? That's amazing if true, but it's also the kinda thing where you don't just say it and then walk off the stage. Show us. I'm not a console warrior, I'll believe you if you show me. I want to believe you.

Top Bottom