• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ori and The Blind Forest | Review Thread

Considering that makes it the highest rated next gen original game to release so far on XBO and PS4, (I think) I'd say it's pretty noteworthy.

highest rated next gen original game that's also on PC but not a WiiU game. they should use that in advertising.

Video games are not a good value if you're just looking to kill time on a bargain. You could read a book or go on a bike ride. It's a great value if you enjoy video games in particular, and if you do, you probably value other aspects of what a video game provides more than it's price per hour of entertainment time. In that case, saying a game at a certain price is worth buying based on it's price per entertainment hour is not indicative of someone who buys games because they enjoy them in particular versus other ways to spend entertainment time/money.

Keyword bolded. I've seen plenty of people who will or won't buy a game based on nothing more than its length:cost.

Edit: Should've mentioned I'm talking about core gamers here.

does this run on a late 2013 MBP?

and i hope it's a 6-8h game not more.

If you have windows running in bootcamp you could give it a try. The length of the game depends on how good you are and how fast you play it, if you want it to be a 6-8 hour game then it's possible. There's an achievement for beating it in 3 hours I believe.

Still trying to decide where to get this, PC or Xbox. What do you say GAF?

Depends on your setup really.

I'm definitely going Xbox because it's hooked up to my TV and it's far easier to pick up and play that way.

Performance on a game like this is really a non issue.

RoKKeR

highest rated next gen original game that's also on PC but not a WiiU game. they should use that in advertising.

Really rolls off the tongue doesn't it?

Ha either way it's impressive. I appreciate reviewers haven't been handing out high scores as often this gen, (or maybe there just haven't been many good ones) makes seeing high MC scores like this, Bayo 2, etc. really stick out.

Barzul

I have both options and I'm getting on xbone. Just got a new tv and wanna get achievements.

Depends on your setup really.

I'm definitely going Xbox because it's hooked up to my TV and it's far easier to pick up and play that way.

Performance on a game like this is really a non issue.

Yeah maybe I'll just do it on Xbox for the achievements too. Hopefully this is one of the games that becomes cross buy wherever Windows 10 happens. This feels like the kind of game I would double dip on.

Really rolls off the tongue doesn't it?

Ha either way it's impressive. I appreciate reviewers haven't been handing out high scores as often this gen, (or maybe there just haven't been many good ones) makes seeing high MC scores like this, Bayo 2, etc. really stick out.

Ehh ... not really.

TLOU: Remastered, GTAV, Diablo 3: UE, Fez, Rayman Legends, etc. are all over 90.

Binding of Isaac: Rebirth, Resogun: Defenders, Guacamalee, Towerfall, Velocity 2X, FFXIV, Rogue Legacy, Guilty Gear Xrd, Geometry Wars 3, Farcry 4, Tomb Raider DE are 85 or over.

Can't wait to pick this one up though. If I didn't have 10 games already on my purchase list I'd get it tonight but there is so much on my plate and no room for maneuvering. Maybe though ... maybe.

Almost like Trine in a way. Game was so beautiful just had to pick it up eventually. Will prob screenshot half the game as I play lol

This game wasn't on my radar at all, but after seeing Brad Shoemaker's extremely positive tweets, and now these reviews, I'm really excited for it.

Debating between PC and Xbox One...it's a stupid reason, but I think I'm going with the Xbox just to have something to play on it.

If the game is as good as reviews suggest, can i ask why you are hoping for less of it?

because i feel that a good amount of longer games overstay their welcome just so they are a bit 'longer'. i don't think many game makers have the ability to create a wonderful game that lasts 15h+ and never gets stale.

i take a well crafted game that executes one idea amazingly over 4-6h over a the same game that has more of he same for another 4-5h.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
Considering that makes it the highest rated next gen original game to release so far on XBO and PS4, (I think) I'd say it's pretty noteworthy.
O6ppIiC.jpg

I just noticed this, huh. It's kinda funny, kinda sad. Here's hoping it's uphill from now on.

And it makes the wait for Ori even harder, won't be playing it till tomorrow. :(

RoKKeR

Ehh ... not really.
TLOU: Remastered, GTAV, Diablo 3: UE, Fez, Rayman Legends, etc. are all over 90.

My point was that those are all ported games from last generation with extra DLC thrown in. Incredible games/value no doubt, but all except for maybe Rayman Legends which is a tossup are products of efforts targeted at the previous generation of consoles. Obviously it's just a qualifier I threw out for fun, but Moon deserves credit where it's due.

I just noticed this, huh. It's kinda funny, kinda sad. Here's hoping it's uphill from now on.
(
Wonder how it will look by the end of the year and whether or not any of the big upcoming games (Witcher/Batman/Uncharted/Bloodborne/etc.) will be critical darlings like their last gen iterations.

Yep, the WiiU's great. Thanks. I'm more in tune with what's happening on the PC/PS4/XBO side of things.

3DWorld has 93
Smash U has 92
Bayo has 91
MK8 has 88
Shovel Knight has 88
Pikmin 3 has 87

:)

because i feel that a good amount of longer games overstay their welcome just so they are a bit 'longer'. i don't think many game makers have the ability to create a wonderful game that lasts 15h+ and never gets stale.

i take a well crafted game that executes one idea amazingly over 4-6h over a the same game that has more of he same for another 4-5h.

I agree with you 100% here however just because a game is 12-15 hours doesn't automatically mean it's overstayed it's welcome. But I honestly can't think of many examples, for me the perfect game can be beaten in 6-8 hours. Also it's probably a lot shorter than that but the difficulty of the game probably added a few hours to the length for a lot of reviewers. There is after all an achievement that unlocks for beating the game in less then 3 hours.

Noobcraft

3DWorld has 93
Smash U has 92
Bayo has 91
MK8 has 88
Pikmin 3 has 87

That's Nintendo though. Their games are pretty much always "top of their class" in their respective genres.

If you want to make a kart racer, you look at Mario kart, if you want to make a platformer, you look at Mario, etc.

3DWorld has 93
Smash U has 92
Bayo has 91
MK8 has 88
Shovel Knight has 88
Pikmin 3 has 87

I own every single title on that list except bayonetta so I feel like I can comment on this. This might sound silly but I really feel like some of these Nintendo games are still getting rated on a last gen scale...

Of all those highly rated games I've played SM3D world is the only one I would consider a "must-play" and even then I don't think it's worthy of a 93 metacritic score.

Maybe ive just lost my appetite for Nintendo games though since MK8, Smash, And pikmin all feel so "been there done that" that it was difficult to enjoy them.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
I own every single title on that list except bayonetta so I feel like I can comment on this. This might sound silly but I really feel like some of these Nintendo games are still getting rated on a last gen scale...

Of all those highly rated games I've played SM3D world is the only one I would consider a "must-play" and even then I don't think it's worthy of a 93 metacritic score.

Maybe ive just lost my appetite for Nintendo games though since MK8, Smash, And pikmin all feel so "been there done that" that it was difficult to enjoy them.
I've played all of the listed titles and the only one I'd give 90+ is Bayonetta 2, hell, it's my favorite action title.

The rest are great, but not 90+ great in my book. Also worth noting that, beside 3D World and Pikmin, none of these titles came out within the first year of WiiU's release.

Azlan

There is a nice QuickLook up on GiantBomb of the beginning of the game. I am not watching it, but enjoy hearing their ooohs, ahhs, and Brad's praise.

I've played all of the listed titles and the only one I'd give 90+ is Bayonetta 2, hell, it's my favorite action title.

The rest are great, but not 90+ great in my book. Also worth noting that, beside 3D World and Pikmin, none of these titles came out within the first year of WiiU's release.

I'm glad someone agrees with me lol. Anyways I feel a lot of these indie games (and remasters) are still on that old rating scale too... So it will be interesting to see how this turns out once I play it and if it's as fun and profound as some of the reviewers are saying.

reKon

Banned
SF4 is currently not available on X1 and KI is a good reason to own a X1 in imo, is it the best fighting game of all time? No, but it is a damn good one that is regularly updated and better than the other fighting games currently available on X1. Also, FH2 sales is irrelevant...the game is good and that's why it's mentioned.

On Topic:

Really glad to see the reviews this game is getting, and good to see Phil acknowledging that. Does MS own Moon Studios/IP?

I'm saying that if someone owns a 360, SF4 and is a fan of fighting games, I don't know if KI was the game to sell Xbox One's even though it's a good game because $500 was a lot of money back at its release... There's more to being a Killer App than just being a good game.

When I think Killer App, I think of exclusives at the time like Gears of War, Uncharted 2, God of War 3, and Mass Effect, etc. Ratchet and Clank: ACiT is an absolutely brilliant game that received high accolades and provided one of the best single player experiences last gen. It was not even close to being a killer app though.

PhatSaqs

Banned
Looks like MS has another great new IP on its hands. Can't wait to give it a spin.

Congrats to the peeps at Moon and congrats again to GC on an amazing ST.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
But it won't be playable at 5pm PDT, We'll have to wait a few more hours. Am I wrong?

It'll be playable immediately. Also you should be able to start playing before the entire download is finished.

Timeaisis

That's the wrong way to look at it.

Replayability, fun, depth- those are examples of what makes a game worth it. Length is a factor, but we don't appreciate games as a dollar value per hour. You didn't get into games because you found that you can spend x amount of your free time for n dollars, and you thought 'what a value'.

Well, that's kind of implied. $20 is a great price for a good game that you will play for 12-15 hours. That better?

Sanctuary

Holy shit. This game completely flew under my radar. Didn't even know it was out until last night. This looks like the kind of game that I was hoping Dust would have been.

BokehKing

Banned
I'm going PC. Because a couple of years down the line, you can just play it from your steam account and not have to hook up the system to play it.

well technically, a couple years down the line this $20 game will probably be $4 during a Steam Sale.

Case in point though yeah, never have to hook up the system again

RoKKeR

Added a few reviews from GAFers to the OP.

Meteoritic down to 89 with 35+ reviews, still incredibly impressive. Well done to Moon.

Septic360

Banned
Loving this game.

Just noticed its dropped a point on metacritic because of insidegamer.nl's review. The same review that scored the likes of Shadowfall and The Order highly....smh...

Top Bottom