• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games you really wish you could enjoy but don't

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
When I say games you really wish you could enjoy but don't, I am referring to those which have many of the things you'd enjoy in that type of genre, but for some reason don't click.

My pick: Transistor

Tried out this game when it came to PS+ last month at the suggestion of many people here on NeoGAF. From the previews and screenshots, I was sure I'd love it, but alas, this would not be the case.

It has everything I'd enjoy. Beautiful visuals, a new (at least for me) and interesting way of narrating a story and fluid and dynamic combat. But I don't enjoy it. I can see that the quality is there, but overall it doesn't click.

What about you?

Grand Theft Auto 4/5
God of War Franchise
Uncharted series

All great games, I just can't seem to enjoy them for various reasons.

And I loved the older GTA games, maybe Saints Row ruined it for me (I really like the progression of that series). I also love "character action" games like Ninja Gaiden and anything Platinum does. I think I got into Uncharted too late, I bet if I experienced those when they originally came out, I'd have a different opinion.

TRI Mike

Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed, Fifa, Madden, Battlefield, etc. Basically anything that's appears too often on media.

Novocaine

For me it's the entire Metal Gear series. I've tried so many times and I just can't do it. I watched Drew play through the first game on Giant Bomb and I really enjoyed it, but actually playing it I cannot do.

Edit: I have beaten Revengeance but that doesn't really count.

mcrommert

Banned
Fallout 3

Was really excited for the game...got it day one with strat guide and played maybe 8-9 hours getting nowhere

RPG's of that variety are unfortunately boring to me and even though i could tell it was an awesome game it could never keep my attention

luffxan

Persona.....I really want to love Persona.....It has everything I like in a game, aside from the combat which I can't stand. I've bought all of them and tried for about 5+ hours each to get into it but I just can't. I adore Persona 4 Arena/Ultimax though

Dr. Buni

BioShock series. I like the setting, but the gameplay bores me to tear.

Persona 4 too, since it is the current hot thing. Battle system and music aside, I disliked most of what the game had to offer. It is just not my thing.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Monster Hunter and its various clones. I tried Toukiden and Soul Sacrifice and I just got so bored with the gameplay I stopped after several hours. I like the premise of the games and I want to enjoy them but the combat just feels so repetitive to me.

Mozendo

Chrono Trigger.
It just feels way too bland for me, to be honest it might just be the localization, but even though I don't think it's one of the greatest games ever made I'll admit the OST is amazing and the game has some of the best moments in gaming/RPG history like the Magus boss battle and finding out about Lavos for the first time.

Edit:
I'll agree with Monster Hunter, I love the other hunting games like Toukiden and Ragnarok Odyssey Ace but MH is the one hunting game I've played I could not get into.

And Persona 4 also. Not a big fan of the story, the characters, and for the most part the music. While I have no problem with anime, Persona 4 literally is (modern) Anime: The Video Game and the anime troupes are too much for my tastes.

LifEndz

Shadow of Mordor. Bought it early on and I find playing it to be a chore of sorts. Maybe it's the environment. I dunno. I'm going to try and force myself to power through to the latter portion of the game where I hear things change....someday.

Kriken

I feel like Dark Souls should have clicked with me, but it didn't and I didn't get too far (Maybe 6 to 10 hours, I don't remember exactly)

Beartruck

Chrono Trigger. I mean c'mon, I can have a party with a frog knight and a robot! Why do I always lose interest 5 hours in and stop?

Dr. Buni

I feel that people who can't get into Dark Souls should give Demon's and Dark Souls II a try. Dark Souls is the least newcomer friendly game in the series.
Monster Hunter and its various clones. I tried Toukiden and Soul Sacrifice and I just got so bored with the gameplay I stopped after several hours. I like the premise of the games and I want to enjoy them but the combat just feels so repetitive to me.
Soul Sacrifice kinda isn't a Monster Hunter clone, though.

Skulldead

Last Story,

Made by one of favorite team of last gen(Blue Dragon,Lost Odyssey, Terra battle). But i can't stand this game, battle system is really cool, great graphic and music... But everything together don't work, the story is average and it feel they didn't test there game at all. Nothing is Balance, everything go to fast or the spacing is weird. Everybody seem to enjoy it, but i can't... This is the worst game of Operation Rainfall

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door

I don't even know why. Everything about it is technically great, but something about it never clicked with me. It makes me sad to this day.

NotLiquid

The Last of Us.

Even bought the Ellie edition at launch and I've tried going back to it multiple times but it just won't click. Game play really did not grab me and the narrative was cookie-cutter, as well as the characters being completely unlikable in my eyes. Shame too cause the production values are nothing short of admirable.

jeemer

Transistor is a good shout for me too. I loved Bastion, but something about Transistor just didn't click, it felt soulless to me.

I also never did complete Wind Waker HD. I really did like it and it's bloody gorgeous, but I've always inverted in every game. Not having the option gave me second thoughts every single time I went to load it up. Having the option to invert look made it even more maddening. Such a simple thing to include.

Fallout series. I like Elder Scrolls, I like deep RPG worlds, I like FPS. I feel like Fallout should be right up my alley, but I've tried to get into F3 and New Vegas multiple times and just didn't enjoy my time with them.

Metal Gear Solid series also to some extent. I played MGS1 when it first came out and absolutely loved it, but since then I've given the sequels a try and I always end up dropping the game after a few hours. They just haven't grabbed me in the same way.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Destiny. Played it a couple hours, didn't deliver on the sense of wonder, exploration I expected. Gunplay was fun but the hybrid online elements turned me off. It doesn't help my immersion when I'm dumped in a new environment and the first thing I notice is someone called '@rse-KI<<3r_78#' gliding by. Call me picky.

Unity was too bloated to keep me entertained all the way. A shame, because it had some fun missions and great setpieces (air balloon ride, some of the more elaborate palaces you can infiltrate for assassination's).

Amnesia machine for pigs

Absolutely loved dark descent, best horror game ever

But this one was broken at launch, so I waited for fixes, and I just don't find the motivation to get back to it. It just wasn't as exciting for what I played...

Psoelberg

Dragon Age: Inquistion.

I was pretty excited to play a big rpg on my ps4, but I just couldn't get into it. I tried for 35 hours, but realised I wasn't having fun. The world, even though it's beautiful, just didn't feel alive, and the point system was really irritating.

Bastardo

Ni No Kuni

Hate basically everything about it (Gameplay, Artdesign, Combat) and was looking forward to it for a long time.

Keasar

Paradox Grand Strategy Games (CKII, EU4 etc.)

Feels like banging my head against a numbered wall everytime I try.

Same with EVE Online.

When I say games you really wish you could enjoy but don't, I am referring to those which have many of the things you'd enjoy in that type of genre, but for some reason don't click.

My pick: Transistor

Tried out this game when it came to PS+ last month at the suggestion of many people here on NeoGAF. From the previews and screenshots, I was sure I'd love it, but alas, this would not be the case.

It has everything I'd enjoy. Beautiful visuals, a new (at least for me) and interesting way of narrating a story and fluid and dynamic combat. But I don't enjoy it. I can see that the quality is there, but overall it doesn't click.

What about you?

wtf4.gif

But for me - Bioshock... I am a massive System Shock 2 fan and while I'm sure Bioshock's story is great - the gameplay is a massive downgrade from the survival horror of SS2. I'll finish it someday.

Eggbok

Red Dead Redemption.

I'm always hearing how much people enjoy the game, or how amazing it is. Yet when I play it, it's the most boring game I've ever experienced. I literally feel like I have to force myself to play through it and at that point it's not even fun.

ElCidTmax

Heavy Rain - baffles me why anyone can get past the tedium, terrible VO, and general pretentiousness of that game. It's got some real passionate devotees though. I don't get it.

Eggbok

Red Dead Redemption.

I'm always hearing how much people enjoy the game, or how amazing it is. Yet when I play it, it's the most boring game I've ever experienced. I literally feel like I have to force myself to play through it and at that point it's not even fun.

Second one is Halo, Halo 4 was my first one and left a bad taste in my mouth. I tried playing 3 shortly after but I couldn't do it. I want to give it another go eventually, but not for a while.

I feel that people who can't get into Dark Souls should give Demon's and Dark Souls II a try. Dark Souls is the least newcomer friendly game in the series.

I dunno. DS1 was the first one I played and remains my fav. Demons Souls is the one I can't get into for some reason. To each their own I guess.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Soul Sacrifice kinda isn't a Monster Hunter clone, though.

Technically, I suppose not but the combat was similar. I dislike constantly attacking a monster/demon and then wonder if I'm even doing damage to it. It just feels very unsatisfying unlike say, a souls game.

turbocat

There are like a million, but the ones that come to mind are the Uncharted series, Metal Gear Solid 4, Grand Theft Auto IV, and Monster Hunter.

SerTapTap

Ni No Kuni. Love the cinematic start, love the art, dear god the combat and slow narrative/gameplay start is awful though. Couldn't get farther than a few hours. Dark Cloud 3 please.

StayDead

Dark Souls if only for it to shut other people up who can't seem to understand why I find it really boring to play. I've tried playing it and it just never clicked with me and I simply just don't really like it. Whenever I mention that to someone they act as if I'm the only person in the world who doesn't like it.

Persona 4.

Loved the characters, the story, just doing random stuff around town, the general style and atmosphere...everything except the actual dungeon crawling, which was such a tedious experience that I ended up not beating the game.

Persona 5 looks to be shaping up the same way. *sigh*

Top Bottom