• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Code Name S.T.E.A.M. |OT| They made Lincoln Force! Or: "Welcome to Earth!"

"somewhat" is the understatement of the year. :D

I wasn't sure if my first impressions were spot on, since I'm not too far in.

While plying I keep asking myself why more gamers on a site like Gaf haven't given this game a try? Seems like a game that would resonate with Gaf, if they gave it a fair chance.

TheMoon

I wasn't sure if my first impressions were spot on, since I'm not too far in.

While plying I keep asking myself why more gamers on a site like Gaf haven't given this game a try? Seems like a game that would resonate with Gaf, if they gave it a fair chance.

Bad word of mouth, the demo soured a lot of people on it (not grasping the fundamental concept of the camera/enemy turn design choice) and then some of the big review oulets not "getting" it either killed this coupled with the initial art style backlash. Barely anyone did give it a fair chance, that is the main problem.

Bad word of mouth, the demo soured a lot of people on it (not grasping the fundamental concept of the camera/enemy turn design choice) and then some of the big review oulets not "getting" it either killed this coupled with the initial art style backlash. Barely anyone did give it a fair chance, that is the main problem.

Really a shame, especially when gamers and media are constantly clamoring for new Nintendo IP. It has a lot of potential that will never be expanded upon due to poor sales.

Bought this two weeks ago, played through it, couldn't put it down and ended up finishing it on Friday evening. I loved almost every moment of it, it's a pure strategy game that'll stick with me for some time. I was blown away by the level design and some of its design choices that made it the most engaging strategy title I've ever played. It has a flow that makes every turn exhilarating, from that first turn where you're trying to absorb as much information as possible by scouting out the map up above, to switching between units on the go in order to maximise your Steam resources. Code Name STEAM does its thing so well that it doesn't even need abstract "fog of war" rules -- Intelligent Systems really have crafted an organic battle system with this. I even warmed to the chunky art style by the end of it all. Given the game's boundless enthusiasm and the unpredictable nature of its events and characters, I couldn't imagine the game looking any different.

It's such a shame that it was dismissed or misunderstood by some, when its design choices are all in the name of turning the strategy genre on its head, rather than for obtuse reasons. I can understand people not getting on with some of the things it does, but a lot of the people complaining didn't even think about why Paul Patrashou and his team did what they did. It's the difference between saying "it's personally not for me" and "this is bad design". Code Name STEAM certainly doesn't fall into the latter.

Nice to see a lot of love for it on Japanese Miiverse, though, one person called both the game and soundtrack a masterpiece. And there are a few reviews that "get it". Here are my favourites: (1, 2, 3)

I suspect NoE and NCL's stealth releases in Europe and Japan were a result of revised expectations after poor sales in North America months prior. Saddening. I also agree with The Moon, that demo did the game no favours. It's ludicrous that people were also assuming the first chapter = the entire game, when Code Name STEAM has an ambitious and challenging first set of stages. I remember complaints about the enemy design, for example, when that's actually one of the game's strengths. Sure, the first chapter might only have Hounds and Slashers, but it's the Rippers, the Prowlers, the Scourges that you'll remember the most -- especially when their weak points aren't so straightforward to target compared with, say, a headshot or a glowing tank engine.

While I'm waxing lyrical about this game, the soundtrack was a lovely surprise. I got goosebumps when the sweeping orchestra joins the heavy metal, and I love how the music is dynamic, changing depending on what's happening to your team. Here are a couple of tracks from the game that I really like:

Intersection: Me vs. You
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oq0AcgCtwoY

Deadly Dance II
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4TIH3ppcxs&index=19&list=PLDiKVJkERi-CMdXnWA_2AZvoGIfDI2X6H

Now if only someone could nab an interview with creative director Paul Patrashou, if only to give him and his team a pat on the back.

It doesn't tell you how many turns you need until you beat it right? I found that a little frustrating, so I didn't bother. Still got the bonus a lot of the time, because I would often restart a mission whenever I felt like I could do it a lot better. Ended up spending a ton of time on a few missions lol.

Funnily enough I was just thinking about how much I liked that -- if I knew that information on my first playthrough it'd certainly change how I behaved as a player, and as a semi-perfectionist it'd probably end up annoying me. I felt the same about games like Hydroventure/Fluidity: Spin Cycle: that time trial goal always made me rush through stages on my first playthrough, when I should only be speedrunning stages later on.

Something else in Code Name: STEAM that reminds me of this is how the game hides boss enemy health until it's been weakened heavily. It'd be demotivating to have 4-5 health bars to get through, or see the enemy's health go down by a very tiny amount with every fit, and keeps the battles tense since you don't know what to expect.

NeonZ

I just finished the game! I was using a full FE Amiibo party for the final battle - being unable to hit the final boss' weak point likely made the battle harder than it should have been, still, it was fun. I'm kind of annoyed that
they seemingly went with a cliffhanger ending, rather than an actual conclusion, considering how the game's sales basically mean that the cliffhanger will never be followed up

In general, I liked the game, but, at the same time, it was pretty flawed too. Graphically, I got used to the character art style and liked the comic book cutscenes. However, the environments in general were really bland, doesn't matter if in England or many locations from the USA, from sewers to an university, the locations just didn't seem to stand out enough.

The level design also seemed to be too trial and error focused at times. Depending on your party, certain levels could get much harder or have locations and items that would be completely inaccessible. I guess that shows the characters were pretty unique, but it hurts the idea of replaying the game with different parties.

TheMoon

Does everything from the demo transfer over?

-> examples

So I snapped some pics of the stuff you unlock while importing the demo. I played through it twice.

zlcfztxiufia7nz6855cqev.jpg
zlcfztxivh4ssego-qvpq1g.jpg

zlcfztxiuykeo2sphve9qyx.jpg
zlcfztxiyx8mddm0jm9eoi3.jpg

zlcfztxivyqcnelzvkgir5w.jpg
zlcfztxiwaedarna2s7wrhw.jpg

zlcfztxixr0jdjsm3eiurwq.jpg
zlcfztxix8oqoknvsga1r6g.jpg
+
The Pheonix Rifle is the demo gift, the rest of those are regular unlocks.

you automatically unlock the others with the medals you bring in from the demo (depending on how many you got of course).

Shiggy

-> examples

+

you automatically unlock the others with the medals you bring in from the demo (depending on how many you got of course).

Ok thanks! So does the rank transfer based on the coins or only based on the coins that were transferred? I already have more than 10000 coins and it looks like the max is 9999.

TheMoon

Ok thanks! So does the rank transfer based on the coins or only based on the coins that were transferred? I already have more than 10000 coins and it looks like the max is 9999.

Ummmmm... I'm having trouble understanding the question. :D

Shiggy

Ummmmm... I'm having trouble understanding the question. :D

Oh, I can see how my wording confuses you. I'm just wondering if it's worth it to collect as many medals as possible in the demo or if there's transfer limit. In the demo, I collect medals which also increase my rank. If not all medals get transferred, does at least my rank transfer?

I'm not sure whether only medals unlock something in the final game or whether the rank matters at all. All I know about this game is the demo - the game itself turned me off initially due to its art style, whereas the demo is real fun now.

TheMoon

Oh, I can see how my wording confuses you. I'm just wondering if it's worth it to collect as many medals as possible in the demo or if there's transfer limit. In the demo, I collect medals which also increase my rank. If not all medals get transferred, does at least my rank transfer?

I'm not sure whether only medals unlock something in the final game or whether the rank matters at all. All I know about this game is the demo - the game itself turned me off initially due to its art style, whereas the demo is real fun now.

Well, those 5040 medals you see on those screenshots are what I collected during my two playthroughs of the demo and they all moved over plus those default 1500 medals you get for simply having a demo save file.

copy/pasting this from the OP:
Collectibles: On any given map you can collect Gears and Medals. Medals are useful for save points where you can, well, save and/or revive/heal your team. Medals also unlock access to new weapons. You don't purchase weapons, they simply unlock when a certain amount of medals is collected. Gears, of which every map has three to collect, are what unlock additional boilers for you to customize the team.

I don't think the rank matters but I'm currently not sure. But I think the rank just basically determines the threshold for the next unlock.

Playing this right now.

It's a G.R.E.A.T. game. Difficult but entertaining.

Now I'm getting to the
Miskatonic University at Arkham
and as a Lovecraft fan I can't do anything but appreciate it.

Taser9090

Neo Member
Jesus. I just remembered this game so I decided to look at the sales number. It's incredibly low and that makes me sad. It's as if the marketing team wanted people to think this is a shit game.

This is such a great game, and there is a definite doubt they'll make the implied sequel.

baconcow

Jesus. I just remembered this game so I decided to look at the sales number. It's incredibly low and that makes me sad. It's as if the marketing team wanted people to think this is a shit game.

This is such a great game, and there is a definite doubt they'll make the implied sequel.

I think marketing and the theme harmed it. I originally didn't buy it due to the theme. However, I've since picked up a couple of discounted copies and can see this. It is too bad really, but the Steam theme didn't really captivate me as it was presented.

SuperOrez

I think marketing and the theme harmed it. I originally didn't buy it due to the theme. However, I've since picked up a couple of discounted copies and can see this. It is too bad really, but the Steam theme didn't really captivate me as it was presented.

This game was really fun. I wish I played the online mode more though.

Regiruler

It's a stupid thing, but I've always wanted them to do a Splatoon/STEAM crossover with STEAM based designs as splatoon weapons. It doesn't have to be comprehensive, and it could just be skins for all I care.

It was the fact that the theme was done somewhat poorly. W101 has a similar theme song, but the vocals are much better. Not that W101 was anything more than a bomb, but it still (probably) sold more due to platinum pedigree and overall better reception (despite the lower install base).

That, and the theme was matched by the overall musical style of the game. Code Name T.H.E.M.E. is non-representative of the music in the rest of the game.

/uses google to convert to usd

19$ ish? Yeah, I'd say it's worth it.

I don't say it much, but I really did like this game.

Yea, the game is really underrated and I hope it can at least find an audience as the price drops where places are clearing out copies. It suffered from the reveal and art style, but it's very good.

For anyone interested Gamefly has it for $17.99 and it should come complete in excellent condition. A little cheaper than AMazon.

ash_ag

get in on this deal, people!

6+ hours remaining.

Listen to the man moon! Code Name S.T.E.A.M. is the secret 3DS GotY. 10 years from now, people are going to be looking back on 2015 and wonder how anyone could conceivably have overlooked this game.

l3DKfpn.png

The internet has lied to you!

Love when this gets bumped and more people are enjoying the game. I had a shitload of fun with it and I really hope we get more of the IP in one form or another.

L95

Love when this gets bumped and more people are enjoying the game. I had a shitload of fun with it and I really hope we get more of the IP in one form or another.

It kinda counts.... I guess.

Harold (Arthur in the US ver. of Fates. Not the mage from Awakening's legacy sets) has a TCG card in Code Name STEAM style. The FE staff book also has a big page of Marth, Jagen, Sheeda, Draug, Abel, and Cain in the STEAM style.

Craft

get in on this deal, people!

6+ hours remaining.

Anybody know what the claim rate ended on, was so sad to see it at only 2% after an hour.
I managed to get a couple of people to pick it up at this price, hopefully they weren't the only ones.

Eolz

Had a hard time finding this OT due to Codename being two separate words.
Bought it thanks to the Amazon UK lightning deal, received it today.

I've played the demo two times and haven't deleted it, anything I should do before playing? Also, I've seen that the Lucina Amiibo was pretty good. Should I get it before playing or during my walkthrough? (I'm a slow player, so no risk if I don't get it quickly)

Like many people, thought that the gameplay was good and interesting, just didn't find the artstyle really appealing and was waiting for a pricecut. And like others, would have bought it earlier if I didn't have other games to play... Sad to see that it's been such a commercial failure, but it's not what makes games good or bad. Still dearly love games like W101, Killer7 or Tingle's DS game.

TheMoon

I've played the demo two times and haven't deleted it, anything I should do before playing? Also, I've seen that the Lucina Amiibo was pretty good. Should I get it before playing or during my walkthrough? (I'm a slow player, so no risk if I don't get it quickly)

The game detects the demo save. Nothing you need to do. The amiibo characters are stuff you should probably play around with on a replay, not during your main playthrough.

Andyliini

I bought this game on launch day (Europe). By then, the demo had already received a fast-forward patch, and I had seen it in action. I began playing immediately, but played slowly and finished the game last week at 25 hours on clock.

I thoroughly enjoyed the game, mind a few difficulty spikes, and am a bit sad the game didn't sell very well. I found all the gears, but didn't collect 100k medals, too much replaying for now. Also didn't try online, but as I've heard, there's pretty much no one playing, so it's not a big thing.

Anyway, this probably won't get the teased sequel, but I wish Mr. Patraschu all the best in his future works. Hopefully he can one day make a game of his vision that sells better.

Tizoc

Crap....
I brought the game with me tonight to work to play but I forgot to download the latest update patch =_=
I only got the game yesterday and wanted to start it soon.
Oh well will clear up another game and play it tomorrow after updating.

TheMoon

Crap....
I brought the game with me tonight to work to play but I forgot to download the latest update patch =_=
I only got the game yesterday and wanted to start it soon.
Oh well will clear up another game and play it tomorrow after updating.

You know you don't need the update, right? The game is perfectly fine without it.

Tizoc

You know you don't need the update, right? The game is perfectly fine without it.

Eh thing is I'm going through my backlog and sorta the faster I can finish a game the better ^^; The patch for the base game adds Fast forward doesn't it or does the game have it initially?

TheMoon

Eh thing is I'm going through my backlog and sorta the faster I can finish a game the better ^^; The patch for the base game adds Fast forward doesn't it or does the game have it initially?

FF is the thing added with the update. It won't make your overall game length any shorter, though. Not in any meaningful way. Plus you'll end up not using it a lot in later missions anyway since it's vital to see what the enemy does lots of the time.

Shiggy

Finally bought it. A retailer had it reduced to 24.50€. Together with a newsletter coupon of 5.55€, it should be worth the price. Also got Face Training for 0.88€ as the newsletter coupon required me to get above 25€...

Tizoc

So is the best way to tackle levels to play defensively?
Let enemies come to ME while I save up on Steam every turn?
As in, go into Overdrive or whatever its called, my turn I attack 1 enemy with each soldier then end my turn and repeat?

Somnid

As in, go into Overdrive or whatever its called, my turn I attack 1 enemy with each soldier then end my turn and repeat?

No. It's very tailored to aggressive play. If you sit around enemies will respawn until you get overwhelmed.

Vena

Not really, no. In fact later levels will punish this with timers and moving objectives, and overwhelming ambush spawns.

Unless you're hunting gears/coins, you can finish most levels very fast by moving forward as a unit while maintaining some STEAM for overwatch. For this reason, I think some characters are actually considerably worse than others, specifically those who need A LOT of STEAM for basic main weapon attacks unless they really gel with your team comp. I find the kids to be terrible, and utility characters get outclasses by simply sub-weapons.

I generally run high-mobility with some staples for good coverage:
The Fox (always, holy crap)
Lion or Henry (depends on the layout)
Califia or Quequeg (offensive power-houses with excellent weapons)

Those five are my usual, mix or matched into four slots.

Always run Fox, she's just amazing and can double-tap most bosses and will insta-kill most generics. I usually use her once and then leave her in Overwatch with the Steam Rifle or Steam Crossbow (low steam usage, still makes use of her bonus ability on sniping).

Lion with self-healing backpack and Medigun make him a walking, leaping super-tank and healer. Lion also makes your weaker units (ergo Fox) tankier and hardier for harder fights and ambushes. I don't like his ultimate, though, which is why I like having Henry along with him as well for that amazing grenade ultimate and his general flexibility and efficiency in any roll (Stun Mortar is nice). Henry can sometimes run Medigun if I have Shotgun on Lion. Lion's mobility is a must-have, though.

Califia or Quequeg are offensive AoE-powerhouses. Quequeg has the worst load-out in general (ultimate, and weapon) and can really suffer on claustrophobic maps but he boosts the whole team's offense. Califia has the best weapon in the game, hands down, and can demolish "weak point covers" and scatter enemy clusters.

With a group like that, you really should try to manage STEAM and push through most levels.

Tizoc

Thanks for the info, so far all I've done up til Ch. 2 is use overwatch and restart stages once I've messed up @_@

Top Bottom