• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BLOODBORNE Spoiler Thread (read OP)

Spainkiller

the man who sold the world
My two major problems with the game:

- the loading times, obviously (but that has been discussed to death)
- the fact that your blood vials don't get refilled at the bonfire-lantern thing/after death

Especially that last thing is getting really f***ing tedious and is spoiling my enjoyment of the game. I just died JUST before finishing a boss off, and had used up all of my blood vials. I've respawned now, with ZERO vials in my inventory. Zero. I have to buy some at the merchant in the Dream Area, but, oh wait, I have no blood left since I died. So, basically, every time you die, you have to grind blood to be able to buy your estu- ehr, blood vials to be able to continue the game normally.

(The irritation is exacerbated by the extra loading times of having to go back to the Dream World to buy the damn things as well.)

This is not adding difficulty; this is adding mindless grinding. Frustrating and, most importantly, not fun.

Great game otherwise, but this is making trying bosses somewhat depressing. The fear is not in not knowing how to tackle these behemoths, but in knowing that dying will mean boring grinding again. Blergh.

I did not expect all 20 of my blood vials to be refilled every time I die, but 10 would be nice (read: better and more fair game design). Or just 5, for f***'s sake.

P.S. Sometimes I DO regain a handful of vials upon death, which is weird. Does anyone know the logic behind this?

EDIT: Wrong thread, sorry.

- the fact that your blood vials don't get refilled at the bonfire-lantern thing/after death

Especially that last thing is getting really f***ing tedious and is spoiling my enjoyment of the game. I just died JUST before finishing a boss off, and had used up all of my blood vials. I've respawned now, with ZERO vials in my inventory. Zero. I have to buy some at the merchant in the Dream Area, but, oh wait, I have no blood left since I died. So, basically, every time you die, you have to grind blood to be able to buy your estu- ehr, blood vials to be able to continue the game normally.

(The irritation is exacerbated by the extra loading times of having to go back to the Dream World to buy the damn things as well.)

This is not adding difficulty; this is adding mindless grinding. Frustrating and, most importantly, not fun.

Great game otherwise, but this is making trying bosses somewhat depressing. The fear is not in not knowing how to tackle these behemoths, but in knowing that dying will mean boring grinding again. Blergh.

I did not expect all 20 of my blood vials to be refilled every time I die, but 10 would be nice (read: better and more fair game design). Or just 5, for f***'s sake.

P.S. Sometimes I DO regain a handful of vials upon death, which is weird. Does anyone know the logic behind this?

Whatever blood vials you collect past your inventory max goes into your storage, and it refills when you die.

takoyaki

I'm at the lake. Favorite area so far. First
the tough fight with the Huntress
, then the part where you slowly realize that you might be able to
jump from the balcony into the lake. And that boss fight....god I love this game! Don't think I ever would have tried jumping if it weren't for the Abyss and Pricilla in DK1. Bloodborne is great whit those little callbacks to earlier games.

Astral

So when should one take on Chalice Dungeons? The Gamespot reviewer didn't like them because he was one-shotting everything, but I'm guessing that's because he was doing an easy one late in the game since some of you guys said they can be brutal.

So when should one take on Chalice Dungeons? The Gamespot reviewer didn't like them because he was one-shotting everything, but I'm guessing that's because he was doing an easy one late in the game since some of you guys said they can be brutal.

You need more materials to do the higher level ones. So grinding is involved. That is unless you go to one that was shared online, which is what I want to do.

Bastos

You are not supposed to depend on the Vials, you should use the Regain system to recover you hp. Vials are for emergencies.

deleted

I saw a stream yesterday where someone tried to beat and finally succeeded killing a
Big Spider he got to by jumping down a cliff, landing in a dream like scenario with a lake where he walked on water and had to kill a Spider with a strange face in 3 phases - each phase got harder and the spiderlings that surrounded the bigger one got more aggressive...

How far into the game is this? Is it one of the more exciting bosses or one of the lamer ones?

Truth to be told, it felt kinda formulaic and not exciting in its execution at all. Neither aesthetically, nor gameplay wise.

Gun Animal

Hey BloodGaf, I just killed two Wolves on a bridge. Should I keep going on the bridge or take the path to the left? too scared to go on...

Nino

*LOVES* Bob Marley
So has anyone found out what
beasthood
does? Finished the game, currently on NG+ but haven't found a use for it yet.

Hey BloodGaf, I just killed two Wolves on a bridge. Should I keep going on the bridge or take the path to the left? too scared to go on...

Keep going for
cleric beast, the first boss
. There's a staircase on the left of the bridge that goes into a house which leads to a shortcut to the bonfire.

Gun Animal

So has anyone found out what
beasthood
does? Finished the game, currently on NG+ but haven't found a use for it yet.

Keep going for
cleric beast, the first boss
. There's a staircase on the left of the bridge that goes into a house which leads to a shortcut to the bonfire.

you're the man, man! just found it. The atmosphere is intense.

Fhtagn

I kinda agree with you, however there are a couple things to note:

1. Using the regain system will keep you healthy most of the time leaving vials for emergencies and boss battles.

2. There is a quick path in Yharnam from one lantern to another that has at least 6 enemies with a very high drop rate of 2 vials. It's an easy run and nets 12 vials each time.
from central Yharnam to the tomb where you fought Father G. Kill the giant dudes with bricks, go down the elevator, go over the bridge, etc.

I ran out at one point but ended up with 60 pretty fast.

WGMBY

I kinda agree with you, however there are a couple things to note:

1. Using the regain system will keep you healthy most of the time leaving vials for emergencies and boss battles.

2. There is a quick path in Yharnam from one lantern to another that has at least 6 enemies with a very high drop rate of 2 vials. It's an easy run and nets 12 vials each time.
from central Yharnam to the tomb where you fought Father G. Kill the giant dudes with bricks, go down the elevator, go over the bridge, etc.

I ran out at one point but ended up with 60 pretty fast.

Maybe it's because I had to keep running the first area (double werewolves kept killing me) but I have a shitton of blood vials at this point. Haven't even got to the first boss yet. The drop rates in the first area seem pretty generous.

Sanctuary

So, what's the trick to progressing through
Old Yarnham with the gatling gunner
on the clock tower? I know there are a few places for cover, but you can't actually stand behind them when multiple enemies are attacking. On top of that, even when you drop or walk down to areas that seem like they would be cover they aren't, and you can't actually see when
bullets
are coming your way until it's too late.

Also, are there actually any i-frames on the non locked dodge? Doesn't seem like there's any at all.

Fhtagn

on the clock tower? I know there are a few places for cover, but you can't actually stand behind them when multiple enemies are attacking. On top of that, even when you drop or walk down to areas that seem like they would be cover they aren't, and you can't actually see when
bullets

Also, are there actually any i-frames on the non locked dodge? Doesn't seem like there's any at all.

There are safe spots and short cuts and you can actually run through the whole area without getting hit by anything while in gun range let alone the gun itself. I got it down after a few tries. Go slow, draw enemies to safe points, learn the terain and then you'll be able to run it.

bullets

Alternate approach (you cannot have approached him before this):
Get the key item from the bath messengers in Hunter's Dream. Then open the large locked gate in the Cathedral district. Go down the stairs to the alley on the left, past the two bell giants and get the Black Church Set. If you approach Old Yharnam in this outfit, he won't fire on you and you can talk to him and get his badge.

Sanctuary

Go slow, draw enemies to safe points, learn the terain and then you'll be able to run it.

That's what I did the first five times, and there didn't appear to be a spot where you can actually
fight enemies without getting hit by bullets. Then running forward into other areas just leads to even more enemies without any cover. Not sure how you're supposed to kill the saw spear enemies when they keep attacking with the spears and guns while you try to stay under cover.

Thanks anyway.

Sanctuary

There are safe spots and short cuts and you can actually run through the whole area without getting hit by anything while in gun range let alone the gun itself. I got it down after a few tries. Go slow, draw enemies to safe points, learn the terain and then you'll be able to run it.

LMAO. I didn't even see the stairs to the right. I kept going forward, jumping off the ledge and then fighting down below where it was practically out in the open.

Gun Animal

OK, now I'm really stuck. Where do I go after the first boss? I feel like I've exhausted every route besides killing that giant axe weilding dude which seems impossible right now.

edit: ahhh.
jumpdown into the sewers, huh?

Phew...finally some break from almost-eternal bloodborne action...

So i started the game on US digital release date and boy WHAT A BLAST!!!

Defeated the first 2 bosses (Cleric Beast &
Father Gascoigne
)

The second one was a pain in the ass as i was planning to defeat him through trial n' error (i didn't watch any streams or used any guide).

Now i'm at
Old
Yharnam area (the part with
the guy that is shooting you from the tower. I am inside the building with the red-eyed Golum-like creatures)
.Hopefully i'll continue later this night.

So far the game looks like a GOTY contender and kudos to Miyazaki,his team and Sony's collaboration for giving us such a gem this gen.

Cyborg

Guys,

Need some help. Are the bonfires/lantern really that far apart from each other? I found the first two.
But I cant find the third....I faced the two werewolf's (and died) but didnt find one :(

takoyaki

Guys,

Need some help. Are the bonfires/lantern really that far apart from each other? I found the first two.
But I cant find the third....I faced the two werewolf's (and died) but didnt find one :(

Early on there are very few lamps. Think of that second one as a temporary hub, at least 3 ways will lead back to this lamp. Try to open up the shortcuts first.

Sanctuary

Man, whoever said the Saw Cleaver was a noob weapon wasn't lying. I started with the Axe, and primarily did jumping attacks all day until the Kirkhammer. I also messed around with the Saw Spear (and then sold it and forgot about it).

The Kirkhammer seemed fun, and my STR was at 25, so the switch combos were pretty decent, but I couldn't fucking hit the
Blood-Starved Beast
for shit because the sword doesn't have enough reach, and the hammer is also strangely medium range on top of being super slow. Decided to go ahead and try the Saw Cleaver, and it's one of those moments where you realize the game could have been much easier up to that point.

It's literally the Drakesword of this game.

grimmiq

Having a lot of trouble with this, I spent way too much time hiding behind shields in all 3 souls games..So this might actually make me better at those too.

Can anyone tell me how/why the doll awakened and the door to the upgrade place opened? I consumed one of the Insight items just to see what it did and next time I came back they were awake/open..do you need insight to level up?

EDIT: Just read an article that said I need to fight the first boss to talk to her..I haven't seen the boss door yet but was able to talk to her, level up a few times and upgrade my Saw Spear.

xclk07

EDIT: Just read an article that said I need to fight the first boss to talk to her..I haven't seen the boss door yet but was able to talk to her, level up a few times and upgrade my Saw Spear.

Actually, you need at least one insight for the doll to wake. Seeing the Cleric Beast does give you an insight, but there are other ways to get them and thus you can level before fighting any bosses.

Guess this stuff is better in here:

Just finally got around to beating Vicar Amelia after just messing around with extra areas. The greatswod just demolished her. Broken limbs and stuns like every attack combo. Saw a couple of really interesting things from her as well that I'm sure will show up in some youtube video later.
She has like 20 seconds of speech that she repeats as a prayer before the fight if you don't get too close to her. Something that you don't get the change to hear again one she changes. Also in the cutscene at the alter after it the old guy says the same name that the old guy in the Hunter's Dream says when he is sleeping outside. Laurence or something.

I don't get the blood vial complaints. I have my equipped maxed at 20 and I keep finding more from enemies, I am up to 42 stocked in my storage (for 62 total) and it keeps growing. I have not farmed for them at all.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
So there seems to be A LOT of optional bosses this time around.

Cleric Beast
BSB
Witch of Hemwick
Darkbeast Paarl
Amygdala
Ebrietas
Celestial Emissary
Logarius

So here is something new and very awesome that I missed on my first playthrough.

In the forbidden forest, there is a cabin with some elixirs, when you loot it this npc comes out in a black robe and a big bag(looks like a body inside) If he kills you, you get a cutscene of him taking you to Yahar'gul Chapel. Special music plays and the place is filled with all different npcs instead of the ones you meet if you were to get there later in the game.

So here is something new and very awesome that I missed on my first playthrough.

In the forbidden forest, there is a cabin with some elixirs, when you loot it this npc comes out in a black robe and a big bag(looks like a body inside) If he kills you, you get a cutscene of him taking you to Yahar'gul Chapel. Special music plays and the place is filled with all different npcs instead of the ones you meet if you were to get there later in the game.

I think around after killing the 3rd boss those sackmen start appearing around the cathedral as well and will do the same if they kill you there. If I'm thinking of the same area you are I mean.

Carcetti

Has anyone managed to get the true ending? I kinda want to but I'm worried I might skip some step.

I know I'll need 3 parts of the umbilical, and I got that part covered. Do I also need some sort of a high insight level to spawn the Moon boss?

Has anyone managed to get the true ending? I kinda want to but I'm worried I might skip some step.

I know I'll need 3 parts of the umbilical, and I got that part covered. Do I also need some sort of a high insight level to spawn the Moon boss?

As far as I know you just have to
eat those three items and then do not submit to the normal "final" boss.

aly

I think
you need to just use all 3 and
refuse gehrman when he gives you a choice.

Carcetti

Thanks, folks! Hoping for the best and I still got to farm all the stuff I need before NG+ before hopping in... I'll let you know when that happens.

Top Bottom