• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titan X Launch / Review / Tears Thread

Newegg is tax-free for me in Illinois. Amazon was too until about a month ago.

that's awesome!

was hoping to hear you were Canadian and bought from newegg's american site regularly w/o having to pay import duty or something...

/backtohigherpricedcanadianrealityforcharles

knitoe

might just be me, but Newegg always delivers 2-3 days with free shipping. You save like ~$140 in taxes depending on state.
Newegg free shipping is around 5-7 days for me.
woah, where are you located?

explain why newegg is a tax free option?
Newegg doesn't charge taxes for shipping to Florida. Amazon wasn't either until about a year ago.
So according to:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-nvidia-geforce-gtx-titan-x-review

The Titan x overclocked at 4k matches or beats up a 980 sli in most tests. If so that's impressive and makes me confused on what to do. Get another 980 or sell and get Titan X.
I would sell. 4K is going to need more than 4GB of VRAM.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
rmC1JWI.png

48GB. LOL.

So according to:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-nvidia-geforce-gtx-titan-x-review

The Titan x overclocked at 4k matches or beats up a 980 sli in most tests. If so that's impressive and makes me confused on what to do. Get another 980 or sell and get Titan X.

If I were you I'd go for 980 and wait for a Pascal next year. The 980 would likely drop in price when AMD launches their cards, so that could be a good time.

I'd think that buy the time games come out that use the Titan's VRAM for example, the Pascal would be out thereabouts.

I'm waiting for Witcher 3 to come out and using benchmarks for that, since that looks like a showcase game for what upcoming high end graphics will require.

Nachtmaer

Should a 290X be a noticeable upgrade in comparison to a 660ti?

A 290X should be about twice as fast. AMD will be replacing those by the 380X relatively soon, but it might be more expensive (and perhaps slightly faster). It's up to you whether you think that's worth it or want to wait a a couple of months.

Compsiox

Banned
I hate how quickly performance improvements become mundane so quickly. If I were to buy Titan X SLI, after a month Iwould forget how great the improvement was and only think of getting something better.

Hawk269

Choices:

Buy 2 from Nvidia with taxes.

Buy 2 from Amazon tomorrow with taxes and Prime shipping.

Buy 2 from Newegg tomorrow with no taxes and pay for fast shipping.

Will they be available tomorrow though? Rumors are suggesting 2 weeks for other outlets other than direct from Nvidia. Even in the EVGA forums a rep said he cant say when they will actually have the cards.

knitoe

Will they be available tomorrow though? Rumors are suggesting 2 weeks for other outlets other than direct from Nvidia. Even in the EVGA forums a rep said he cant say when they will actually have the cards.
I thought people were saying tomorrow for other vendors. I guess I'll just buy 2 from Nvidia.

I cant justify the price personally, but thats a nice looking card - and I really like that the thermals are so good (like 980)

Looks like a jet engine on there.

Corgi

Banned
never understood superclocked cards and the equivalent, aren't you just paying $30 more for something you can easily reach in seconds on afterburner, or are there component differences?

Very cool for people who can afford it but my poor ass will be sticking with the 280X which is doing a mighty fine job for me right now.

Sargon

never understood superclocked cards and the equivalent, aren't you just paying $30 more for something you can easily reach in seconds on afterburner, or are there component differences?

Potentially, but it is also possible that an individual non-Superclocked card can't always reach the same level of OC with the same stability. I believe that the Superclocked cards are tested and guaranteed at a certain speed that you might not be able to achieve with a non-Superclocked card.

Hawk269

I thought people were saying tomorrow for other vendors. I guess I'll just buy 2 from Nvidia.

Not sure what to believe to be honest. There was a rumor, but when I asked "Rob" he is from Evga on their own forums the question on when will they have them to be shipped he said he could not answer that question. So something seems to be up.

I was debating about waiting for the Hyrdo Cooper versions, but I like to put the blocks on myself so if I ever sell the card and the buyer does not want the Water Block I still have the air cooler to put back on it. This is what I am doing with my original Titans, removing the Water Blocks and putting back the Air Coolers and shipping them off to 2 friends.

I just said "fuck it" and just got done ordering 2 from Nvidia myself. I have never bought (outside of the Lightnings) other than Evga branded cards due to the outstanding service, but since I could not get an answer from Evga, I just went ahead and ordered 2 from Nvidia.

Hawk269

Potentially, but it is also possible that an individual non-Superclocked card can't always reach the same level of OC with the same stability. I believe that the Superclocked cards are tested and guaranteed at a certain speed that you might not be able to achieve with a non-Superclocked card.

Yes, SC versions from Evga are tested to be 100% stable at the SC speed they put on the card. Weather you can go even higher is dependent on your luck of hitting the GPU lottery and getting a good chip that OC well.

I have had some friends take a Titan Black regular and was able to OC it much higher than another that had a SC edition. All depends on the chip, but the SC versions are guaranteed. Based on reviews I have read so far, it looks like at least a +200 to the core should be doable for any card.

Corgi

Banned
Yes, SC versions from Evga are tested to be 100% stable at the SC speed they put on the card. Weather you can go even higher is dependent on your luck of hitting the GPU lottery and getting a good chip that OC well.

I have had some friends take a Titan Black regular and was able to OC it much higher than another that had a SC edition. All depends on the chip, but the SC versions are guaranteed. Based on reviews I have read so far, it looks like at least a +200 to the core should be doable for any card.

SC speeds tend to be about 10% higher though right? If your reference card can't hit that, return that one pronto.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
"Just ordered 2 Titan X's on Nvidia.com"

Well played.

I'll be picking up two as well. It'll actually be my first time running SLI - I've been sticking with the single cards all along. Has anyone done water cooling on their video cards? Wondering if might be worth it for a dual card setup (or the fans are still able to keep up somehow).

Kezen

Banned
That's quite an astonishing level of performance. Jesus what a beast of a card, not even trying to hide how much I'm jelly of those who can afford such a GPU.

1.000€/$ is way above my price bracket.

Smokey

This will be my first time in a long time I haven't gone with EVGA...

Compsiox

Banned
Yeah so I'm happy with my 970s. I'm willing to deal with the occasional SLI issues than pay 3-400 dollars more.

Sargon

Yeah every card I've ever owned has been EVGA. Fantastic support / card quality in my opinion.

Like I said I'm waiting on Titan X till EVGA launch the SC version

I am partial to MSI myself, but if EVGA launches a SC card first I'll probably go with them this time around.

LordOfChaos

The reasons listed in Anandtech's article make sense to me. Cut down on DP units to cram in more SMMs making it basically a bigger GM104. But yeah, those were my thoughts too. So much for the Titan line being a "best" of both worlds.

Fair enough, they made a more pure gaming card, The people who bought it for compute were probably a much smaller fraction than gamers, and most pro uses that need double precision performance probably also need ECC memory, which this does not have.

But still, 1/32 DP...$999...Ehh, ah well, I guess I'm not the market by about 600 dollars.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
How much you guys think I could get for my regular Titan and waterblock? $600?

K, after doing a lot reading and watching a few vids, the Titan X is actually looking pretty damn decent.

That GTX 980/R9 290X/GTX 970 eurogamer comparison for Crysis 3 really eye opening. I get around the same frame rates on my Titan Black with light overclocking at 1080p.

Relating to the Titan series only, the Titan X is super expensive but is probably the best value so far for gamers in the series up to this point. Pro-sumer stuff and lower end Maxwell stuff is another matter, but hey what hell, this thing is still pretty neat.

AndyBNV

Nvidia
Zonked out on the sofa, my bad :)

- Don't know when the cards will be available from EVGA and others. That's a completely different department and I don't have visibility on those decisions
- Custom coolers are in the works from various people
- GeForce.co.uk direct sale availability date TBC, so won't speculate at this time
- The real Smokey has clearly been replaced by an imposter. Real Smokey would have bought 4.
- Anything else I miss?

Kezen

Banned

- Don't know when the cards will be available from EVGA and others. That's a completely different department and I don't have visibility on those decisions
- GeForce.co.uk direct sale availability date TBC, so won't speculate at this time
- The real Smokey has clearly been replaced by an imposter. Real Smokey would have bought 4.
- Anything else I miss?

I know it's OT but where has AC Unity's tessellation gone ?

Pezus

In conclusion: Most powerful card on the market but way too expensive for most people - pretty much what we knew since it was announced, right?

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4

- Anything else I miss?

Are the requirements correct AndyBNV?

rmC1JWI.png

K, after doing a lot reading and watching a few vids, the Titan X is actually looking pretty damn decent.

That GTX 980/R9 290X/GTX 970 eurogamer comparison for Crysis 3 really eye opening. I get around the same frame rates on my Titan Black with light overclocking at 1080p.

Relating to the Titan series only, the Titan X is super expensive but is probably the best value so far for gamers in the series up to this point. Pro-sumer stuff and lower end Maxwell stuff is another matter, but hey what hell, this thing is still pretty neat.

Yeah reading the reviews / benchmarks totally changed my mind on this card. At first I thought it was overpriced but now I agree with you. For gamers this seems like the best value Titan they've ever released

I know it's OT but where has AC Unity's tessellation gone ?

Yeah, gotta find a way to test out those new Titan X' s :D
Yeah reading the reviews / benchmarks totally changed my mind on this card. At first I thought it was overpriced but now I agree with you. For gamers this seems like the best value Titan they've ever released

Yeah, benches have turned my head around on it somewhat, especially @ 1440p. 4K is still a graveyard for GPUs though.

Top Bottom