• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo celebrates Women's History Month with a little history of their female char.

RM8

Nintendo: please forget our female characters that are just kidnapped victims.

While they have a strong case with samus and beyonetta, Nintendo is still very much a proponent of the damsel in distress trope.
Peach is a meme, though, and her habit of getting kidnapped is often mocked in-game. Not that it changes the fact that you have to rescue her, I guess, but it's hardly a serious attempt at story telling and Peach can own Bowser in lots of games, including 3D World.

jediyoshi

Nintendo: please forget our female characters that are just kidnapped victims.

While they have a strong case with samus and beyonetta, Nintendo is still very much a proponent of the damsel in distress trope.

Oh no, your current examples got edited out ]:

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
S.T.E.A.M. has some pretty cool women as well among its roster, all of them are pretty strong, not overly sexualized, two of them are P.O.C. (although this might be divisive since it's Tiger Lilly and Califia who have been held up as positive and negative portrayals), and despite the game being set in the late 1800s, they're all treated the same way as the men and rarely are their genders brought up, never put in distress and one of them is actually extremely proactive for pushing the plot along. Also none of the male characters ever comment on their looks, and they aren't given any half-hearted romantic elements because they're women.

It's a step up I think compared to Fire Emblem Awakening which at parts definitely seemed questionable despite having a large quantity of women among its roster...

Kenai

I laughed out loud at the Bombette inclusion. Such a random character to pick when they have plenty of others to choose from.

Yea that got me pretty good too. Almost forgot about her tbh.

This means a new Paper Mario with party members now, right Nintendo? Q_Q

_woLf

Why didn't they do this for bla...oh.

3JhAxSm.gif

I hope Bombette being there means a true Paper Mario game is coming to Wii U.

DaBoss

For everyone hoping Bombette being there means something, it 99.99999999% doesn't mean anything. This was most likely done by whoever does the PR stuff for Nintendo and thought Nintendo should do something for Women's History Month. Took some existing renders and did a write-up for each character.

K-A-Deman

What about the bit where Tetra turns into a princess and spends the rest of the game hiding in a basement until she gets kidnapped and Link has to rescue her.

I dunno, what about the part where it was made apparent how Ganondorf KNOWS that Tetra is Zelda, that he's spending every resource he has searching for her, or how her crew, loyal though they may be, are pretty much screwed against anything that actively attacks them? Oh i'm sorry; pragmatism takes a backseat to 'implications'...

S.T.E.A.M. has some pretty cool women as well among its roster, all of them are pretty strong, not overly sexualized, two of them are P.O.C. (although this might be divisive since it's Tiger Lilly and Califia who have been held up as positive and negative portrayals), and despite the game being set in the late 1800s, they're all treated the same way as the men and rarely are their genders brought up, never put in distress and one of them is actually extremely proactive for pushing the plot along. Also none of the male characters ever comment on their looks, and they aren't given any half-hearted romantic elements because they're women.

It's a step up I think compared to Fire Emblem Awakening which at parts definitely seemed questionable despite having a large quantity of women among its roster...

I can't really think of any questionable crap from FEA, not even Nowi...

Dragon hybrids exist, they've been young girls before, and the fact that outside of her intro, the only people still griping about her design are all on the other side of the screens.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Who besides the loli dragon was questionable?

A lot of the women characters tended to have characteristics that felt right-at-home in a harem manga.

All the characters in Awakening were pretty shallow and cliched, of course, but I felt it was the women more often than not who had personality types that seemed to follow the average 'fetish' personalities Japan does a lot. Tharja was the dark chick, Maribelle was the rich girl, Sumia was the klutz, etc.

It wasn't all bad, but I definitely think it was a step-down from the more grounded women present in past Fire Emblem who didn't seem to cater to the audience as much. But I guess Awakening as a whole was pretty catering in some extent, so it isn't really limited to the female characters, but in the wider picture of how women are objectified in video-games, I think it's worth noting.

K-A-Deman said:
Dragon hybrids exist, they've been young girls before, and the fact that outside of her intro, the only people still griping about her design are all on the other side of the screens.

Because the "really 1000 years old but in the body of a little girl" is a played out trope in Japan that is hard to take at face value as not specifically being included to pander? Even if it makes sense in Fire Emblem lore, doesn't mean people won't be put off by it. The localization actually toned it down I've read, where the Japanese version was apparently even more upfront about what the character was going for and more infantile.

Lunar15

There is just something so surreal about Nintendo touting Bayonetta.

We live in that world now, it's hilarious.

BokehKing

Banned
Samus Aran still the coolest female in gaming.
There should be a thread called

'where were you when you found out samus was a female '

3rd grade, it was just a rumor, no one believed it at first, I was eating 3 big linden cookies at my desk, no way is samus a girl, she shoots guns!

This was in the 80's by the way

Sterok

I don't know whether Bombette or Bayonetta being in this is more surprising. Would not expect either of them in this sort of thing.

Neff

Does Nintendo own the Bayonetta IP?

Nintendo owns the Bayonetta 2 game and associated assets/media. They probably also have a contract clause enabling them to use assets from the Bayo 1 port for the purpose of promotion.

What they don't own is the Bayonetta IP and by extension creative influence over any future Bayonetta projects. That's entirely Sega's to do with as they please, unless Nintendo already optioned another Bayo game as part of their Bayo 2 deal.

banofypie

Banned
I could make an argument against why these characters are good female characters that show strong female characters, but I can't fault Bombette. Bombette is just literally a perfect example of a strong female character.

I love Bombette.

TheJoRu

Midna is a great female character; unpredictable, determined, in control yet out of control. Would've liked to see her touted rather than Bombette or Toadette.

hank_tree

The reason they chose Tetra is because as soon as she is revealed as Zelda she immediately becomes useless and just stays behind in Hyrule for the rest of the game.

Top Bottom