• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Symphony II announced, features music from FF5, FF8, FF9 and FF13

Jucksalbe

Banned
Loved the concert, my favorite parts were both FF9 and FF5 (the FF5 battle theme sounded amazing) and of course the kinda mindblowing encore.
Hello everyone who will be there on saturday night. I'll wear a totoro shirt..if you see me, say hi :D
I was looking for that shirt, but I didn't see you.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Here are some pictures my girlfriend took at the concert in Bonn:

3rQA7cV.jpg

39OuGVe.jpg

TQUKVJf.jpg
vx8zqIL.jpg

bih8gh3.jpg

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Was really nice to meet you! Forgot to ask yesterday but on which FFXIV server are you playing?
Nice to meet you too ^_^ we are on ragnarok!

Loved every minute of the evening. But I HATE that Nino guy ~_~ God such an self absorbed man. Did not like anything he did on Saturday night.

But back to the music, I loved the jokes, the standing ovations and how the music was done.
The blu ray looks really nice, glad I bought it ^.^

OH and my girlfriend and I stayed at the Sternhotel Bonn. Sunday morning while having breakfast suddenly Masashi Hamauzu stands beside me!! everyone from SE (and the Nino idiot) slept in the same hotel as I did >.<!!!

After he had finished eating I went to his table and told him that I want to thank him for his amazing music and left. Got a "o..hai" response :D

The staff of the hotel told me that they heard how much the people from SE loved the fan response to the concert ^_^!

Oh and my ranking: FFIX>FFVIII>FFV>FFXIII but honestly everything was awesome and I can't wait for the blu ray!

Zhao_Yun

What did they play for those games?

Tracks I recognized in the different suites (putting them in spoiler tag). Might have missed some though.

FFXIII

Blinded by Light
Prelude to FFXIII
Vanille's Theme
Memories of Happier Days
Nautilus
Fang's Theme

FFIX

Memories erased by a storm
Zidane's Theme
Vivi's Theme
Festival of the Hunt
Mourning the Sky
Over the hill
Melodies of Life
Unfulfilled Feelings
Kuja's Theme
Assault of the Silver Dragons
Final Battle

unfortunately no Rose of May but you can't get everything :p

FFVIII

Liberi Fatali
The Oath
Eyes on me
Balamb Garden
Waltz for the Moon
The Landing
Succession of Witches
A Sacrifice
Don't be Afraid
The Extreme

FFV

Musica Machina
The Evil Lord Exdeath
Main Theme of FFV
Lenna's Theme
Sealed Book
Close Call
Exdeath's Castle
Slumber of Ancient Earth
Spreading Grand Wings
Battle 1
Prelude to the Void
Sorrows of Parting
Ending Theme
Victory Fanfare

Tu101uk

I too just came back from this, and allowed meself to calm down my hype after a cup of tea.

It started a bit slow for me, after a typical FF opener. Not the biggest fan of FFXIII to begin with, and even some of their stronger themes couldn't shine through for me in the opening arrangement. The orchestra also seemed a bit nervy, but they got much better soon afterwards.

IX was a piano concerto of striking contrasts - the lighter moments like Zidane's and Vivi's Theme contrasted with the sharper, more powerful pieces like Kuja's Theme; the slower, sombre Mourning The Skies and Unfulfilled Feelings against the frantic (and amazingly-performed) Festival of the Hunt, all of which was accompanied by the iconic Melodies of Life throughout the arrangement.

VIII was definitely the highlight for me - it contained the very best of one of the series's finest OSTs in one impeccable composition. Mainstays like Liberi Fatali, Waltz for the Moon, Eyes on Me and Don't Be Afraid were complimented by some of the lesser-heard themes like Balamb Garden, Ami and The Oath. The Landing was also an incredibly performed piece, best one of the night for me.

V rounded off the arrangements with a boisterous but playful composition of the game's most well-known pieces. Not quite as strong as VIII or IX... until we got to the first encore, with an emphatic Battle on the Big Bridge spliced with the infamous Chocobo Theme (scarily seamless, I was impressed). FF Main Theme rounded out an overall amazing showing from the London Symphony Orchestra.

Loved (nearly) every second of this. I've been to two A Distant World concerts and one A New World concert prior to this, and I can't see how this can be topped now. Where's that CD to buy...?

Zhao_Yun

Glad you guys enjoyed the concert :)

Loved (nearly) every second of this. I've been to two A Distant World concerts and one A New World concert prior to this, and I can't see how this can be topped now. Where's that CD to buy...?

Unfortunately we will probably have to wait for a bit until they release a recording. It took nearly 2 years until the first Final Symphony was released but I hope we'll get it earlier this time.

Zhao_Yun

Where will the remaining announced Final Symphony II concerts be held?

As of today, the remaining FSII concerts will be held in Osaka (September 27th) and Yokohama (October 4th / 2 performances) respectively. I expect them to announce some more concerts for next year though.

Famassu

As of today, the remaining FSII concerts will be held in Osaka (September 27th) and Yokohama (October 4th / 2 performances) respectively. I expect them to announce some more concerts for next year though.
Oh, ok. Hope Finland gets another one of these. I went to Wuppertal for FS I first when I thought there was no way something like this would come to Finland (and then a second time in Tampere, Finland, when they did, indeed, hold a concert here). Now I decided not to travel abroad for one of these FS II concerts in hopes of them not skipping Finland since the first one was such a success.

Zhao_Yun

Oh, ok. Hope Finland gets another one of these. I went to Wuppertal for FS I first when I thought there was no way something like this would come to Finland (and then a second time in Tampere, Finland, when they did, indeed, hold a concert here). Now I decided not to travel abroad for one of these FS II concerts in hopes of them not skipping Finland since the first one was such a success.

Since both Valtonen and Wanamo are Finnish I would say that the chances for another concert in Finland actually aren't that small. Might need to wait until the end of the year or the beginning of the next year for more announcements though.

Famassu

Since both Valtonen and Wanamo are Finnish I would say that the chances for another concert in Finland actually aren't that small. Might need to wait until the end of the year or the beginning of the next year for more announcements though.
Yeah, that's what I thought. Hopefully we don't have to wait for another ~1,5 years this time around. Don't want to wait until early 2017 for Final Symphony II. -_-;

My 2nd FF Concert after Distant World's last year. I thought this was one was much much better. I didn't recognise most of the songs because I've only completed FFXIII of the games they played, but wow. It really took,me away. The bit with the FFVIII battle theme. Just amazing.

The main theme was a great way to end.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Thanks, added it to the OP.

For everyone in or near Sweden, this is highly recommended! Though, I guess I don't have to tell you that, if you made it to this thread.

Famassu

Went to the Final Symphony II in Tampere that was on Friday. On this first listen, I was disappointed in the FFXIII piece. I'm not sure if it's because Valtonen & Wanamo aren't as well acquainted with XIII as a game & as a soundtrack (in the "composer presentation" before the concert, how they spoke about FFXIII made it seem like they weren't necessarily all that familiar with it) as they are with the older FFs or if they just had a harder time arranging Hamauzu's already somewhat more complex & orchestrated pieces into a coherent whole, just didn't feel like it captured XIII's essence at all. Not that it sounded bad, just didn't feel satisfying for a huge fan of XIII's music. On the other hand, FFV's symphonic arrangement was great, though at first I was flabbergasted that I didn't hear Clash on the Big Bridge in there. Luckily there was an encore. :)

Zhao_Yun

Went to the Final Symphony II in Tampere that was on Friday. On this first listen, I was disappointed in the FFXIII piece. I'm not sure if it's because Valtonen & Wanamo aren't as well acquainted with XIII as a game & as a soundtrack (in the "composer presentation" before the concert, how they spoke about FFXIII made it seem like they weren't necessarily all that familiar with it) as they are with the older FFs or if they just had a harder time arranging Hamauzu's already somewhat more complex & orchestrated pieces into a coherent whole, just didn't feel like it captured XIII's essence at all. Not that it sounded bad, just didn't feel satisfying for a huge fan of XIII's music. On the other hand, FFV's symphonic arrangement was great, though at first I was flabbergasted that I didn't hear Clash on the Big Bridge in there. Luckily there was an encore. :)

The XIII suite was actually co-arranged by Valtonen and Hamauzu himself. It was actually the only suite in which Hamauzu was involved. I can't remember the suites too well (another reminder that we need a recording!), but I think I can see your point although the arrangement sounded fine to me. Hope you enjoyed the concert nevertheless :)

Famassu

The XIII suite was actually co-arranged by Valtonen and Hamauzu himself. It was actually the only suite in which Hamauzu was involved. I can't remember the suites too well (another reminder that we need a recording!), but I think I can see your point although the arrangement sounded fine to me. Hope you enjoyed the concert nevertheless :)
Actually, now that you mention it, they did mention Hamauzu working on it in the pre-concert interview. Still, even with Hamauzu involved, if Valtonen wasn't all that familiar with FFXIII, that could always affect the end result of the collaboration.

But yeah, I still enjoyed it. Even the FFXIII piece was enjoyable symphony, but just didn't quite satisfy a fan of the music like me in the same way even FFV did (which is probably the FF OST I'm the least familiar with from post-NES FFs, other than my love for Clash on the Big Bridge).

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Well, it looks like I'll hopefully have another album to buy on iTunes. The first album is really good.

Top Bottom