• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hideo Kojima is leaving Konami, what will happen to Silent Hills?

as in why? theorize.
The game's director is leaving a project that he likely didn't even start working on
The director's team is also suffering some losses besides him

Whatever Silent Hills was going to be is gone. Even if the game is released, what was initially pitched is likely dead.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
if this project dies (it's Del Toro so it's already as good as cancelled) maybe then Konami will re-hire Toyama, Tsuboyama, Yamaoka and the rest of old legendary Team Silent to save the IP with a true SH game.

SeroTyler

First one to talk gets to stay on the aircraft!
They'll eventually start charging for PT, change its name to Silent Hill: Hallway and replace the trailer with credits.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
The sad truth. Unless Kojima created a literal bible for every aspect of this game, it won't be what we saw with PT

or2ginal2ejdg.jpg

The game's director is leaving a project that he likely didn't even start working on
The director's team is also suffering some losses besides him

Whatever Silent Hills was going to be is gone. Even if the game is released, what was initially pitched is likely dead.

The main thing is that we don't really know what the actual concept for Silent Hills was aside from Kojima wanting it to be very scary. They already said that P.T. had nothing to do with the real game. It was a standalone product that was used to announce the game.

Hahs

The franchise is still capable of making a profit. Konami knows this and will most likely move forward with a project in the future - with another team of course.

EDIT: having capability doesn't always guarantee success.

if this project dies (it's Del Toro so it's already as good as cancelled) maybe then Konami will re-hire Toyama, Tsuboyama, Yamaoka and the rest of old legendary Team Silent to save the IP with a true SH game.
No chance. At least for Toyama, he got off the burning bus long ago, same with Sato.

Yamaoka had no vision, they can have him back.

Haunted

Depends on how involved he was in the project.

If it was his pet project and conceived as a collaboration between personalities (Kojima x Del Toro), I could see Konami quietly shitcanning it, even with the work they've already done for PT.

If he was simply at the helm at that moment in time and Del Toro doesn't really care who his liaison at Konami will be, it could just be delegated to whoever's next in line after Kojima and the Kojipro staff have been fired.

AdaWong

All these people saying it's probably dead. D:

No no no. Silent Hill is officially cursed as a franchise. Here I was thinking this could finally rebirth the Silent Hill series into popularity and mainstream. I'm sad.

So sad.

*hookshots herself away*

I'd really like to know what is going to happen with this project as well. PT scared the ever living shit out of me, something horror hasn't done in a while. Much like the rest of you, I'm dying for the full experince. Hopfully it is still coming.

Fitts

I don't know where Silent Hills goes but I hope Kojima is still interested in making a horror game. P.T. didn't bear much resemblance to a Silent Hill game but it was still really fucking cool and I would love to see him start a horror IP (franchise?) of his own.

EDIT: And I'm totally OK with Silent Hills being cancelled without his involvement. That's a hell of a lot better than getting another Tomm Hulett production.

No no no. Silent Hill is officially cursed as a franchise. Here I was thinking this could finally rebirth the Silent Hill series into popularity and mainstream. I'm sad.

So sad.

*hookshots herself away*

It's actually pretty astounding Konami has allowed the series to lapse so badly for a series that was so on point

Fox Mulder

This is depressing.

Such an amazing looking project is ruined and will never see the light of day, even if Konami just shits out something.

rbrogue

I feel your pain. However, Konami is somehow completely incompetent as a games development company. They have the prestige of two of the most high-profile games in their respective genres and they put out crap like the Silent Hill HD Collection which should have been handled a LOT better. If "Silent Hills" lives through this, it will likely be in name alone.

Team Silent is no more. The last Silent Hill was not good. Unless Konami can either put together a great team or outsource it to a great developer:

Dead-Its-dead-Jim.jpg

Piers

If not cancelled:
Western studio outsourcing, just like always.

We do not know how it'd ever turn out though. It might not have even been in the pre-production stages.
The last footage/news we got was strictly a concept trailer for P.T., not Silent Hills.

Team Silent is no more. The last Silent Hill was not good. Unless Konami can either put together a great team or outsource it to a great developer:

Dead-Its-dead-Jim.jpg

Downpour was the best entry in a while and its biggest problem was the apparent fact that Konami did not give one greasy Taco Bell shit about QAing the game.

Unless you were talking about Book of Memories, in which case yes that was balls.

Maximo

Really depressing that its most likely will be cancelled or just become a Husk of what it could have been. I was really looking forward to the game.

I refuse to even imagine the possibility of never experiencing a fully-fledged P.T.

Whatever happens you'll never get to experience a fully-fledged P.T.
Without Kojima it won't be the same. We might get Silent Hills, but it won't have that X-factor that Kojima puts into his games.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
It will be farmed out to some shit developer and eventually cancelled.

Konami will be dead in 3 years.

Downpour was the best entry in a while and its biggest problem was the apparent fact that Konami did not give one greasy Taco Bell shit about QAing the game.

Unless you were talking about Book of Memories, in which case yes that was balls.

Well in the world where metacritic means everything and AAA development is risky business, it would seem unlikely. Who would they get to develop the title?

Downpour PS3 is sitting at 64 on metacritic right now which is one point higher than the 360 release.

impact

Banned
It'll be a mess like everything else in the series post 4

We've come to expect this as fans of the franchise

Reedirect

Considering PT is out there and was successful as hell, Konami will probably try to do something with it. It probably won't be as ambitious though.

zma1013

They really need to contract him to do Silent Hill regardless of whatever is happening over there. He's a perfect fit for the series. He knows how to screw with people's minds.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Considering the game was probably going to enter production after MGSV and KojiPro is pretty much dead now, I doubt it'll ever be done at all.

They were just scouting for locations late last year, I doubt they even had a story in mind.

It has to be a ruse, no company is this fucking stupid. They act like they hate money or something.

Two things are infinite in existence: the universe, and human stupidity. You can bet they're this stupid, and they are patting themselves in the back right now.

Neff

It honestly depends who was working on it and how much money has already been spent on it. The reaction to the PT demo was extremely positive, so I can only assume they'd want to continue with it without Kojima.

I always got the impression that his name was applied to it to help it get attention anyway, much like the Kojipro logo on the Lords of Shadow box.

So when are we getting some new info about this? IGN? Gamespot? wtf are you guys doing, get on the phone with Kojima! LIKE NOW!

I want my SILENT HILL with kojima and Norman reedus

Tal

What are the chances of Kojima doing a similar concept without the Silent Hill name at another studio?

It honestly depends who was working on it and how much money has already been spent on it. The reaction to the PT demo was extremely positive, so I can only assume they'd want to continue with it without Kojima.

I always got the impression that his name was applied to it to help it get attention anyway, much like the Kojipro logo on the Lords of Shadow box.

KojiPro was actually going to develop Silent Hills. It's just that Kojima was unlikely to be the director. He wasn't even listed among the credits for P.T. That came from others at KojiPro.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member

Doubtful, it was clear from the beginning that KojiPro was attached to Lords of Shadows with an advisor role, nothing else, this was said very close to announcement.

On the other hand, Silent Hills had KojiPro as the devs, and Kojima as the director along with Guillermo Del Toro (my suposition considering Kojima always had a close supervision of his staff after the Rising fiasco). Not the same case.

WarpathDC

Horror is my favorite genre and I am not easily scared. I can't finish PT. It's that damn scary. Please don't be dead silent Hills

Top Bottom