• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical effects that make a game look WORSE

Peltz

realism

wt14dWq.jpg

+ chromatic aberration

nJZSGXJ.jpg

+ muted colors

6s4Jqxq.jpg

+ noise

6MczvD2.jpg

+ lens flares

ZErY7eP.jpg

+ piss filter

TmCyvWC.jpg

+ black bars

ZkTKoTA.jpg

+ motion blur

SRb7FzD.jpg

=

2015 video game

tumblr_lpg3so4bvm1qiy6q1.gif

The problem with motion blur is if you have to tell people your game is fast, it's not fast. Movement should be fairly explanatory and if you have to motion blur it to look good, something's wrong.

I make exceptions when it's specifically in short bursts or subtle and it adds something. In Burnout, it was a visual indicator you were burning through your boost and definitely not at "normal" speed. But when you're blurring everything, even when driving normally, that seems excessive.

Ogimachi

Motion blur, bloom, lens flare, chromatic aberration, film grain, color filters (piss, "gritty", etc), DoF, blood on the screen, blurred screen after being hit, and the worst offenders: fucking head bobbing and camera shakes during attacks.
2015 video game
Perfect.

TSM

Chromatic Aberration: relive the glory days of misaligned CRTs. Some of the screen shots in this thread look worse then some terribly aligned rear projection CRTs I've seen.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
water_cave2.jpg

Idk man, pic with filter seems to be closer to reality. That blue light without the filter is preeety bad.

Edit: Or is that what you wanted to express in the first place?

C'mon.

Just because a cave exit can look like the filtered one doesn't make it more accurate.

Also, I posted it to point out how color variety is incredibly muted and dead in the filtered image, but with the filter removed you can actually see the colors come to life. The sniper stock is a different shade of brown from the cave walls is a different shade of brown from Chris's skin is a different shade of brown from the wooden platform. In the filtered version they all homogenize into a samey sickly greenish brown color. It gives you a more expansive color pallete to enjoy without the filter, and you can modify the "but now it looks less start" by upping the contrast while still keeping colors in tact.

Metal-Geo

Man, too much hate for motion blur in here. I love me some motion blur. Especially at 60fps.

God rays - the effect is stupid and unrealistic, get it out of my face. Only lazy devs that are too cheap to implement proper HDR resort to this crappy effect.
The two aren't even related.

-SD-

Banned
The use of depth of field in games makes sense only in Virtual Reality with eye-tracking tech.

I know there are traditional (Flat Reality?) games that adjust DOF depending on where the crosshair is aimed at but that system brakes down the moment you look somewhere else than the center of the screen.

I love amazing graphics in games, and I generally like most of the extra effects in games. Well done motion blur looks incredible, as does high quality depth of field. I'm also a fan of all of the "movie camera" type effects like lens flare, sunspots, water droplets, etc. I think its all really cool when done well.

However there is no defending CA outside of Destiny's implementation, since you are supposed to be looking through a helmet shield. Otherwise, it makes zero sense. I don't understand what its trying to mimic. Do we see this is movies? Wouldn't only a low quality camera generate this effect?

I'm okay with using it sparingly, things like supernatural events in games to make things look freaky, but the CA in a game like Bloodbourne is almost comical. What the shit are they trying to acheive with that?

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Fallout 3 was supposed to look that way though, it was supposed to be semi depressing. There was a damn nuclear war after all.

High bloom, Desaturation, Piss filters, unnatural Haze, Chromatic Aberration, excessive Grain Filter [in very small dosses it is ok].
And literally EVERY on screen effect ever, especially low health related, hate this shit.

---
Dunno why people hate motion blur, high quality can literally make the game playable for me in 30hz. I personally cant play many games on PC in 30hz if they dont have motion blur, like Skyrim for example, it makes me sick.

---

Its simple, because they run in 30fps and in 30fps games scrolling without motion blur looks awful.

Play Final Fantasy Type 0 and then tell me how you feel about motion blur.

mkenyon

Banned
Motion Blur. I pick displays specifically to reduce it. It's there to simulate shitty displays, shitty movie 24fps jank, and to cover up sub par (16ms+) frame times.

Jabba

Banned
Chromatic aberration, motion blur, color correction/filtering, film grain and depth of field.

I'd also add lens flare/dirt/smear but only if that's NOT used in a realistic manner. Playing as a floating movie camera is a very annoying trend, these days.

Especially when you're supposed to seeing said world from the perspective of your character. It doesn't make it more immersive to put another layer between the created world and the end user in many situations imo. Much of this, is to mimic the immersion of hollywood movies?

It makes me wonder, how much processing power is used simulating camera effects within a game.

pixlexic

Banned
Fxaa works for close up object but objects in the distance are horribly blurred and distorted for lack of a better word.

I dislike the shitty depth of field implementation a few games seem to have where each object is blurred but their outer edges are razor sharp. It looks ridiculous in every possible bad way.

Varies from game to game. There are effects I hate in some games but love in others.
Its always about the implementation and the overall look the devs want to achieve.

But facial capturing(not an effect, I know) has always been a pet peeve of mine. I always thought facial capturing looked worse than hand animated faces. No matter which game. I guess most notably was TLoU(hand animated) followed by Beyond:Two Souls(facial capturing).
Beyonds faces just looked weird to me

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Yep. Part of the reason why I like DC's look so much is that they actually fucking used a natural colour palette. Why so many devs are unwilling (or unable) to do this is beyond me.

They do it for the same reason movie directors are in love with color grading: it gives the visuals a distinct look and (used wisely) is a great tool to set a mood. Unfortunately color grading in movies is often overdone. It's hard to find a modern movie with real life colors, every shot is either drained of color or completely oversaturated.

Braag

Dunno man, I always liked the green haze Fallout 3 had going, made the world look kinda dirtier and such.
I'm also fine with chromatic aberration as long as it's not overdone like in Lords of the Fallen for example which is a prime example of overdoing it.

Chromatic aberration is this gen's bloom. Epic explained during the UT4 podcast that artists like because it makes the output look less "clean" and "computer-generated".
Depth of field can look great, but despise poor-quality DoF - especially if they use a depth-unaware Gaussian blur with hard edges everywhere.
dof18za9c.png
dof2opxlc.png

I have a similar opinion on poor motion blur filters (e.g strobing artifacts) but they have gotten a lot better this gen.

Order 1886 is a good summary of all the the filters I hate - except for bad DoF
Besides being very blurry and grainy, they also overused color grading with the strong azure-colored shadows.

making it look shiny and weird bright dots on everything?
Too strong spectacular reflections / speculator aliasing. A problem with their last-gen/PC low shaders.

lazygecko

and children own a city where you're forced to leave when you're adult
and vampires and superheroes and zeta and moira brown and "god bless the enclave"
and the major foreshadowed antagonist can kill himself after 20s conversation
the game's pretty far from a plausible wasteland; hell it's pretty far from a plausible Fallout plot but here we are
I still like the game :x

It kind of bugs me because there was some genuine thought put into the progress of the post apocalyptic world in the second game. Bottle caps had been phased out as actual money was being produced again, and society had reformed into a kind of old west setting. The "soft reboot" of Fallout 3 undid all of that. I wouldn't really want the world of Fallout to remain mostly static over the course of hundreds/thousands of years the same way The Elder Scrolls is.

I disagree that Fallout 3 looks worse due to it's hue and color tinge. Its an intentional choice that helps set the mood and theme of the game.

If you think a game about a post-apocaliptic civilisation on the brink of extinction should have a bright blue sky with a strong sunshine then we have very differing tastes.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
Chromatic aberration looks like color bleed from a composite TV signal lol that's horrible.
Shhhh don't give them any ideas. I bet soon we'll have scan lines and color bleeding to make it look like you're playing on a cheap CRT TV.

These are the most powerful consoles ever created. Gotta put that power to use!

Depth of Field is the one that usually irritates me the most. I just don't think it looks well done most of the time. It also gives me fits if a game that uses it implements it in a way where the blur pops in an out up close due to camera angle issues, usually in a cutscene.

Motion blur is another I hate in games, I either turn it off or leave it on low, the blur almost never matches the speed of your characters so it feels really out of place. Sonic is the kind of game where I can understand some motion blur, Crysis is not.

Well this thread has taught me that no matter how many examples I'm given, I haven't a fuck what Chromatic aberration is or why it's a bad thing. I've literally been staring at like these 10+ examples just laughing at myself wondering "what the hell am i looking at here?"

KHlover

Banned
Shhhh don't give them any ideas. I bet soon we'll have scan lines and color bleeding to make it look like you're playing on a cheap CRT TV.

These are the most powerful consoles ever created. Gotta put that power to use!

Cuphead.jpg

Like that? Even worse images in the Console Emulation thread, it's like half of the posters played their old games with their nose touching the TV. So many overdone scanlines :/

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
Well this thread has taught me that no matter how many examples I'm given, I haven't a fuck what Chromatic aberration is or why it's a bad thing. I've literally been staring at like these 10+ examples just laughing at myself wondering "what the hell am i looking at here?"
It's easiest to see in the UI in the upper left corner in my example shot from the OP. Basically the red/green/blue that are supposed to make up that white UI don't "line up" so you see a reddish hue on one side and a blue hue on the other side.

DD

Are people REALLY complaining about motion blur? Seriously?! Dafuq...

Anyway, I like CA when it's subtle (not like in Bloodbourne and Dying Light). It's not that bad when things are moving. I also like some subtle film grain sometimes. :3

I used to despise Tekken's tacky graphical effects on hits, compared to Virtua Fighter's clean, impactful collisions. Then I got used to them.

Razorback

Why don't we also start altering movies while we're at it?

Look at this shit, real life isn't green.
2HetlfO.jpg

Wow, so much bloom. Disgusting.
iG1L5fV.jpg

Kubrick must have known nothing about lenses. Didn't he notice the chromatic aberration?
VyAzL1N.jpg

23qwerty

Anyway, I like CA when it's subtle (not like in Bloodbourne and Dying Light). It's not that bad when things are moving. I also like some subtle film grain sometimes. :3

It's pretty damn subtle in Bloodborne, you can hardly notice it if you're playing on a TV from a decent distance away.

TSM

Motion blur is terrible in most instances. It's especially obnoxious when you are turning/turning the camera. Most developers only use it because it makes their terrible frame rate seem slightly less terrible. On PC the first things I look to disable are motion blur and dof.

dr_rus

2HetlfO.jpg

iG1L5fV.jpg

Kubrick must have known nothing about lenses. Didn't he notice the chromatic aberration?
VyAzL1N.jpg

Great games you have there.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

2HetlfO.jpg

iG1L5fV.jpg

VyAzL1N.jpg

Sometimes effects make sense contextually, and some times they're executed to effectively evoke a certain mood or atmosphere.

A lot of times in games, that isn't the case and in order to fix it all that is required is an off switch.

Most of the time in movies effects like this are given a lot of thought when implemented. Often times in games they're an afterthought.

Top Bottom