• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alan Wake franchise sold more than 4.5m units on PC and Xbox 360

A poem that appears in Alan Wake written by one of the characters is

"For he did not know that beyond the lake that he called home lies a deeper darker ocean green where waves are both wilder and more serene. To it's ports I have been. To it's ports I have been."

Two of the main character surnames in QB are Wilder and Serene. Is quantum break linked narratively with Alan Wake? Maybe...

Hex

Banned
I remember picking Alan Wake up on Steam for like 2$ with all of the bonus goodies.
I have no doubt it sold a shitload of copies on PC

Genio88

I always hope to see a Alan Wake 2, or even a reboot or spiritual sequel with those tone and mood, and Stephen King vibe... Alan Wake is my game of the last gen

Passed on the sequel at the time because of slower sales, yet they have constantly said that they would still like to do a sequel down the road when the time is right and that Alan Wake is not dead as the series did go on to sell pretty well and at least 1 million on the Xbox 360 alone (I remember they had a similar tweet when that happened). So an AW sequel is far from out of the question, it's just a matter of when is that time right for it to make its triumphant return.

I did link the video, but are you aware of Google?

Well you were the one that brought it up friend in a way that didn't make sense so I asked you to clarify.

From the video it sounds like MS decided to not go all in on a sequel, not that they full on passed. Sam said he didn't want to do his fans a disservice with a lower budget game. Hopefully either MS decides to put their full backing behind a sequel seeing the demand or REMEDY is successful enough to supplement MS' funds with their own to do the game justice.

StevieWhite

American Nightmare was a blast. I'd love another smaller game - as has been said numerous times, the franchise would lend itself quite well to smaller installments.

I believe Remedy as well as some as MS see the cult popularity AW now has and are aware that it has a pretty good fan base (as well as better sales since they originally decided to hold off on the sequel). All we can do is be patient and know that AW isn't dead and wait for that right time for it to return.

The first game was flawed as hell but its a great little story they had and its a shame they never got to make a proper follow up.

American Nightmare was really interesting in its own right and kind of shows the weird directions they could go if they had the chance. I hope they get that chance.

SURGEdude

The first one was my favorite 360 exclusive (until PC release). Couldn't get into the repetition of American Nightmare though.

I'd love a proper sequel.

I noticed in The Evil Within and latest resident evil, the torch as a blinding and/or environment tool has been implemented.

Reminded me of Alan Wake.

The gameplay in this game had no variety at all, it would have helped if it had some puzzles, more enemy variety and platforming, i completed it because the story was interesting and the atmosphere was one of the best i have seen in any game, those trees moving in the wind at night in the woods with enemies stalking you in the fog, but fighting the same enemies over and over again was no fun at all, it was a solid 7 for me, it could have been so much better.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Nice, and well deserved!

Now I'm going to watch the latest gameplay video of Quantum Break again because of this.

Jarmel

Banned
Microsoft really chose a poor release date for the initial game. It's surprising how well the game has held up saleswise over the years.

Raoh

Played it on 360, don't recall if I finished it though. I always thought it would have been great on PS3 with the Move controller.

uT0vrbN.jpg

That rock band stage fight tho.

So amazing, want new AW on new engine lighting will be awesome for sure

Glad to see this game do this well in the long run. One of my favorite games of last generation (and up there with my favorites of all time). Loved the atmosphere so much.

Here's to hoping they releases the rumored Alan Wake port/remaster (preorder bonus for QB? Yes, please), and get to Alan Wake 2 after QB.

DVCY201

I wish Microsoft would give the IP a chance again, it's by far my favorite exclusive on the 360. It'd be a nice title in their profile of IPs to have running, same with D4. Too bad the chances of either of those getting sequels is diminishing.

Hope Quantum Break is a success, it's possibly the only IP that may convince me to get an Xbox One before a PS4

I wish Microsoft would give the IP a chance again, it's by far my favorite exclusive on the 360. It'd be a nice title in their profile of IPs to have running, same with D4. Too bad the chances of either of those getting sequels is diminishing.

Hope Quantum Break is a success, it's possibly the only IP that may convince me to get an Xbox One before a PS4

I don't think the chance for an Alan Wake sequel is that small, especially with the AW remaster/port rumors. And if QB does well, the chances would go up even more.

Now D4...yea, I can see that.

I hope both get lots of sequels, though.

KainXVIII

Cannot wait when Remedy announce Alan Wake 2 exclusive to Xbox one and shows big middle finger to all PC fanbase (again). :-\

Hopeford

This is awesome news, I'm really fond of this game. I don't know if it's just me or what, but since last generation it felt like a lot of games began shying away from having a personal identity, if that makes sense. They take as few steps as they possibly could while still setting up a world, without ever really making you feel like the series stands out by itself.

For example, I love Uncharted, I really do, but it doesn't really go out of its way to have an unique...flavor to it, if that makes sense?

It almost feels weird saying that Alan Wake has its own flavor considering how heavily it borrows from Stephen King, but the game wears that inspiration so openly that it--at least to me--really made it seem like the game has something unique to it. Just feels like the developers loved their inspiration so much that something kind of pours out of the game and it makes me overlook its flaws. Kind of like how(forgive me for the disjointed comparison) Skies of Arcadia is my favorite JRPG of all time despite its technical flaws just because the game oozes charisma.

Alan Wake does the same for me in a completely different genre. I could go on and on about it, but it just feels so genuine in what it's trying to do, so completely devoid of attempts to appeal to everyone, and so lovingly put together. It's one of those games where you can look at a specific scene or mechanic and think "The developers put this here because they liked it" instead of thinking "Right, they were going through a checklist here."

Mind you, not saying that the game is innovative or anything. Just that it plays like a game made by people who loved what they made, and to me that makes it really easy to overlook a thousand flaws in a game. Really nice to know it sold well. Sequel or not, just happy for the devs. They really deserve it.

MAN I LOVE THIS GAME

Mohonky

They made me a fan of Poets of the Fall too.

Yeop, I discovered Poets of the Fall through Alan Wake, great band with a lot of really good tracks, love their Daze video. That band did an awesome job with the soundtrack, same with the actor who played Mr Scratch / Alan Wake. One of the best in game villain. Not a lot of games can do Live action actors for cutscenes and pull it off without it being corny, but that guy was amazing.

Did anyone pick him up for other acting jobs? I know he's Norwegian but that guy makes an amazing villain.

Also bought the 360 Limited Edition that looks like a novel + the PC version as well as American Nightmare. One of my favourite games and definitely one of the most underrated 360 titles.

This game made me also go back and chekc out Twin Peaks. I can definitely see the vibe they were going for.

Top Bottom