• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA V PS4/XONE Downgrade - Version 1.00 Vs 1.08 Comparison [edit: BUG]

hesido

When I said "view-dependent" it was me playing with your words. As in you simply looking at the post on your computer monitor being able to read it at whatever angle. Again, I tried a joke with a little more "depth".... PUN INTENDED.

I am fully aware of what you actually talking about as 3D and game design is what I do for a living.

Sorry, I failed to make the connection there. Thought your remark was related to the link connected to a screenshot (it didn't, should have ringed some bells). I frankly never thought you didn't understand computer graphics. I thought I didn't do well enough to explain why I thought the effect was important, so went into details.

The thread has already come to the consensus that 1.09 contained a fix for the deformation, but the rest of the graphical issues in single player remain unfixed.

It has also mentioned in a comment box in the original video that 1.09 fixes this. How much time passed between 1.09 and 1.08? Was it a fast turnaround for a patch?

DOWN

Banned
It has also mentioned in a comment box in the original video that 1.09 fixes this. How much time passed between 1.09 and 1.08? Was it a fast turnaround for a patch?
1.09 only fixed car deformation, not the POM and other issues. 1.08 released on 3-15-2015, 1.09 released today.

DOWN

Banned
That's what they want you to believe
I don't care if it was or not. Now they know not to lower the graphical fidelity after release when I've paid already, even if it was a bug. This time seems to be an accident, but at least we know they wouldn't try it on purpose with the response this has gotten.

IMACOMPUTA

Well, regardless of whether it is a bug or not, it seems to have improved performance and many people have enjoyed the more stable framerate. I'd imagine when this "bug" is "fixed" there will be a new group of people pissed off.

DOWN

Banned
Didn't this also happen to Unity? They downgraded to graphics after release to make it run more smoothly.

Except we all thought Unity was messy from the start and were baffled by how crowded with NPCs they made it, even asking them to tone it down.

FYI...if you turn on your game and the brightness/gamma screen comes on right away, then just exit to the dashboard/UI and restart the game. It shouldn't happen again after that, not straight away anyway. It's happened to me around 4-5 times, and I do this every time and it works. Fuck resetting all of those options.

15strong

After we now know it was an unintentional bug, can we not jump to conclusions next and assume every developer is out to downgrade or make their own games worse.

Rockstar is aware of the issues, and the wording here implies it is unintentional to me:

https://support.rockstargames.com/h...-for-Xbox-One-and-PS4-after-Title-Update-1-08

Same reply I received:

Stephen R., Mar 26, 3:03 PM:
Hello Luke,

Thank you for contacting Rockstar Support.

We would like to inform you that we are aware of some graphical issues on the Xbox One and PS4 versions of GTAV after the most recent Title Update, and we are investigating a fix now. If you would like to receive an automatic email notification as soon as there is more information, please log into the Support Site and click Subscribe at the top of this page.

https://support.rockstargames.com/hc/articles/205228687

Best regards,

Stephen R.
Rockstar Support

DOWN

Banned
Just went to the train tracks after the 1.09 update. And the its still downgraded.

Yes, the thread confirmed earlier 1.09 only fixes car deformation. 1.09 was apparently created before this issue was noticed since the POM (on the train tracks) were only brought to their attention in the last couple of days.

Seems the framerate is more acceptable now. So downgraded graphics are ok for this outcome.

But this smells like they wanted catchy still images for GTAV on consoles and sacrifices fps for this and now they make it more playable because people complained about framerates.

Ishida

Banned
Seems the framerate is more acceptable now. So downgraded graphics are ok for this outcome.

But here's the deal: Why are people so certain that the improved framerate is because of the graphical bugs? I don't understand.

We still don't know if re-enabling those graphical features will make framerate worse. People are jumping to a lot of conclusions here.

But this smells like they wanted catchy still images for GTAV on consoles and sacrifices fps for this and now they make it more playable because people complained about framerates.
it was a bug... a bug that was even fixable for the last 2 weeks

i've had deformation, albeit very temporarily, using the internet bug fix trick, for over a week

a bug that was just one of many that the MP patch introduced to SP... there's nothing to suggest it was intentional lol

ReBurn

Gold Member
15 pages in one night over an over 2 week old bug? lol... i love you gaf

Well, you see, there was outrage to be had and people aren't going to wait for responses from the developer for issues that they didn't even know were problems before deciding to toss hyperboles at this seemingly intentional downgrade that was actually just another bug all along.

Zane

How do I know they toned down various graphical settings? It's in the video. Go watch it.

They toned down the vehicle damage
They toned down Anisotropic Filtering
They turned off Parallax Occlusion
etc

They did these to further stabilize the frame rate, which is just an abomination. Give players the choice. Don't false advertise your game to sucker gamers into getting this port and then take away the things that made this port sell in the first place. This is just stupid.

How do you know this wasn't caused by a "mysterious error," as you put it and have now been proven incorrect?

kaskade

Yeah the deformation still doesn't look too good for me in 1.09. I could drive into a car full speed and it'd just be a light dent and scratch. Nothing major. Unless that's how it's always been and I'm just noticing now.

^ it's always been like that... cars can deform a lot but it's rather quite slow

getting hit by trains 1.09 deformation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHcqS3QRtQ0

heavier or faster deformation still works but it just requires a lot of damage... namely getting hit by a train. you'll never get damage like that from a car crash unless you crash dozens of times

iludart

Neo Member
I have the feeling that nobody here actually noticed that the input lag is gone... It's not the performance, there are still some frame drops here and there but the game plays so much more smoother now.

Make a test, turn up the sensitivity and the acceleration all the way up and the game feels super snappy. Yesterday I managed to get away from a 4 star chase, first try. Cars handle like a breeze and shooting is more satisfying now.

I really don't like what the gamers are turning into. When I am playing a game, I am first of all playing it, and right AFTER that i stop to marvel the scenery. So it must be most important how it plays, not how it looks when i'm reaching for a snack. Please stop complaining and appreciate how Rockstar keeps delivering.

Pandy

I have the feeling that nobody here actually noticed that the input lag is gone... It's not the performance, there are still some frame drops here and there but the game plays so much more smoother now.

Make a test, turn up the sensitivity and the acceleration all the way up and the game feels super snappy. Yesterday I managed to get away from a 4 star chase, first try. Cars handle like a breeze and shooting is more satisfying now.

I really don't like what the gamers are turning into. When I am playing a game, I am first of all playing it, and right AFTER that i stop to marvel the scenery. So it must be most important how it plays, not how it looks when i'm reaching for a snack. Please stop complaining and appreciate how Rockstar keeps delivering.
If 'fixing' this graphic 'bug' reduces performance again, it's going to be really hard going back to the old stodgy controls. I really hope one is not connected with the other.

Hip Hop

If 'fixing' this graphic 'bug' reduces performance again, it's going to be really hard going back to the old stodgy controls. I really hope one is not connected with the other.

I'm wondering if this "better performance after the patch" thing was real or it's just a placebo.

iludart

Neo Member
I'm wondering if this "better performance after the patch" thing was real or it's just a placebo.

There was a comparison video of the input lag between the ps3 and the ps4 versions of the game (link). Hopefully there is someone willing to make one pre and post patch because there is a massive difference.

And again, i don't think it is a performance gain but rather an input lag/ sluggish controls fix. Maybe they've made some optimizations on the physics calculations, hence the collisions feel different now, but i'm just making assumptions.

dr guildo

Placebo for sure, because framerate issues encountered in city was completely solved well before the 1.08 patch, and without disabling any graphical features. I remember that quite well.

There was a comparison video of the input lag between the ps3 and the ps4 versions of the game (link). Hopefully there is someone willing to make one pre and post patch because there is a massive difference.

And again, i don't think it is a performance gain but rather an input lag/ sluggish controls fix. Maybe they've made some optimizations on the physics calculations, hence the collisions feel different now, but i'm just making assumptions.

These input issues were fixed in 1.03 or so when they introduced acceleration and deadzone sliders, the input lag was reduced as well. 1.08's "downgrade" issues weren't to alleviate that, so if we rolled back to having the good graphical effects back the controls would still be fine.

yeah input lag was something improved a few patches ago, no reason it should change from the Heist patches 1.07 through to 1.09

same for either performance or deformation IMO... both feel basically the same as before in all 3 versions of the patch. with deformation and parallax mapping off, I see no genuine frame rate improvement, and with deformation back on, I see no difference in amount or rate at which deformation occurs. likely just folks not used to the previous norm.

Top Bottom