• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mike Pence (Indiana Governor) signs Religous Freedom Bill into Law

Status
Not open for further replies.

ultron87

I wonder if they'll break contract. Stranger things have happened.

Interesting times indeed.

Would they have grounds to break the agreement?

The letter they sent suggested it was more of a "when it comes time to renegotiate" thing than a "we out!" thing. Which I can certainly understand since the pure logistics of moving a 50,000 person convention would be nuts.

I think the bigger immediate fallout is stuff like the Salesforce thing and future NCAA events.

Maledict

They realize these laws will be struck down by the SC right? All it's going to take is one challenge.

They don't care. This isn't about the law, it's about pandering to your base. They know they will lose, and then they can wail about activist courts overriding the will of the voters and forcing Christians to gay marry.

The fact it will bring misery to people, cost the state millions in lost business and further millions in litigation doesn't matter - because it will get them votes from their base and that's all they care about.

kess

so insecure about their beliefs.

But did you know they have the biggest cross in the world?

3977312780_e1dd9b3a18.jpg

Lunar15

I'm not quite sure what the law actually does. It appears that several other states have this law as well.

Can anyone point me to a thorough breakdown of the law?

EDIT: Nevermind, just read the actual law.

Fox318

Only way to change this is to protests business from employing people in that state.

Let people lose their jobs. I'm sure other states will offer tax benefits to move business there.

Camwi

"The Constitution of the United States and the Indiana Constitution both provide strong recognition of the freedom of religion but today, many people of faith feel their religious liberty is under attack by government action," Pence said.

They feel that way because you people keep telling them to feel that way.

BamfMeat

They realize these laws will be struck down by the SC right? All it's going to take is one challenge.

If the Hobby Lobby challenge went the way it did, I don't expect this to be any different.

We pander to the religious beliefs of people all the time.

Paging Metaphoreus. You can now perform your happy dance.

Razmos

Religious people feeling like their rights and liberties are under attack, what a joke when the politicians always cater to them like this.

I find it utterly repulsive that people like this so keen on denying others their rights, throw a massive hissy fit whenever things don't go their way.

alternade

Please oh please let a business owner tell a CHRISHUN that they can't eat at their restaurant, or sell them that dress, or bake them a wedding cake because its against their deeply held religious beliefs.

Can't wait until the inevitable happens, and its revealed that this wasn't meant to cover non christian religions. Hope Indiana gets every ounce of backlash its can muster.

And before anyone says "Its not fair to hurt the citizens over this!" They voted for these clowns, so they're just as complicit.

HylianTom

Banned
But it's okay guys - it's neutrally-worded so that anyone has the right to equally discriminate! If gays don't want straight business based on their beliefs, they can turn 'em away - and vice-versa. Equality!

That makes it all better, right..? ;)

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
But did you know they have the biggest cross in the world?

3977312780_e1dd9b3a18.jpg

Is Jesus short sighted or something? Oh well at least Jesus never made a big scene at the temple about the fact that money and the trappings of wealth have no place in a place of worship, or that wealth itself was a barrier on the road to heaven.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
I hope GenCon moves.

I like the show in Indianapolis, but there have to be consequences for this sort of thing.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
So, in theory can businesses also turn down Moslems or Jews or any other religion? Or is this Bill soley against gay people?

Is Jesus short sighted or something? Oh well at least Jesus never made a big scene at the temple about the fact that money and the trappings of wealth have no place in a place of worship, or that wealth itself was a barrier on the road to heaven.

when first heard a conservative explain the capitalist version of the "eye of the needle" bible verse I didn't know if it was parody or not.

Disgusting. Really hoping someone from Parks and Rec weighs in on this. It may not mean much overall, but I'd love to see a response nonetheless.

Hale-XF11

I feel bad for the sane people of Indiana, but I hope their entire economy tanks HARD for this as a lesson to all.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Because turning away customers as a business is a genius move.

People vote based entirely on a candidates religious views. Even if, otherwise the candidate wants to fuck them over.

Lunar15

So, in theory can businesses also turn down Moslems or Jews or any other religion? Or is this Bill soley against gay people?

Here's the synopsis of the law:

religious freedom restoration act. Provides that a state or
local government action may not substantially burden a person's right
to the exercise of religion unless it is demonstrated that applying the
burden to the person's exercise of religion is: (1) essential to further a
compelling governmental interest; and (2) the least restrictive means
of furthering the compelling governmental interest. Provides that a
person whose exercise of religion has been substantially burdened, or
is likely to be substantially burdened, by a state or local government
action may assert the burden as a claim or defense in a judicial
proceeding, regardless of whether the state or a political subdivision of
the state is a party to the judicial proceeding. Allows a person who
asserts a burden as a claim or defense to obtain appropriate relief,
including: (1) injunctive relief; (2) declaratory relief; (3) compensatory
damages; and (4) recovery of court costs and reasonable attorney's fees

Indiana is strange politically. It's hard to figure out.

It went to Obama twice, I believe, but it has some very far right laws.
Only once. What was interesting is that it went to Obama while it overwhelmingly went to Mitch Daniels. Then it elected Joe Donnelly (D) to the Senate while voting for Mitt Romney by 10+%.

The big reason these things happen is that Indianapolis and more liberal areas of the city can have a major effect on statewide elections, while the state legislature is overwhelmingly Republican and a large part of that is rural. It's just all sorts of fucked up.

I hope GenCon moves.

I like the show in Indianapolis, but there have to be consequences for this sort of thing.
As someone who lives just north of Indy, I'm sorry to say you're right. It sucks for the city, because the Mayor came out against the bill, as well as almost every major business in the city, but the governor ignored them because he wants to run for president and things this will help him. It's totally the State acting against the interests of the City.

Pyrokai

I hope GenCon moves.

Columbus, OH, would love to have them :) (might be redundant with Ohayocon though)

Dammit, according to this article, they are under contract to stay until 2020.

Unbelievable. It frightened me that this happened.

What is the similar law in Illinois that the article mentions?

Also, holy fuck at the 40/10 split. Why is Indiana so conservative? I should put that in quotes. This is just fucked up, not true conservatism.

The article I'm talking about: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...iw7-jUngZxOnTjAYg&sig2=G3EI3KS18hmiupvg_BqZoA

Ms.Galaxy

This is disgusting and should be illegal. Individual rights are important, but once those rights crosses the rights of others, that's when the line needs to be drawn.

Horns

In a statement explaining his decision, he pointed to President Barack Obama's health care law -- which triggered a lawsuit by Hobby Lobby to ensure the company wasn't required to cover birth control through its employees' health insurance plans.

Obamacare did it! It causes diabetes too.

I really enjoyed living in Indianapolis for the four or so years I did, it is a pretty underrated city, the boonies which drive the legislature are to be avoided, some like martinsville are just notorious. I've driven by that effingham cross a hundred times and just shake my head each time. Considering the governor is a former talk radio guy, this is exactly what you'd expect out of their legislative sessions. Hope the ncaa takes action but they are gutless and their agreement is probably quite long lasting with penalties for early withdrawal. http://www.ibj.com/articles/18793-city-ncaa-forge-30-year-event-pact

KingK

Glad to see the rest of HoosierGAF pissed off in here. I just emailed the governor and my state reps (not that it'll matter). Glad I'll be moving out of the state next year.

This bill could hurt Indy's economy pretty badly if all of these events start pulling out of the city. Which is a shame, because it's actually a pretty nice city considering the rest of the state.

HylianTom

Banned
Friendly reminder:
yes, there is a goddamn difference.
And yes, that difference may determine the fates of these bills by the time one of them reaches SCOTUS.

Indiana joins a long list of other states with similar legislation.

Here's hoping all of this gets thrown out by the courts; or at least the stuff that is based on discriminating against folks.

A law professor at IU talked about some of the positive cases that arose from the RFRA, like a Muslim prisoner free to have a short beard and Philly churches being allowed to serve the homeless in city parks. I'm sure those things could have had other legislation that helped them rather than something that could lead to discrimination.

I'm just super disappointed that this is happening (1) at all, (2) when the legislators should be focusing on expanding Indiana business, not enacting things that could restrict it, and (3) during a time when all the eyes of the country are on us with the Final Four. Makes us look backwards, hateful, and unwelcoming. I don't see Indiana that way, especially not the Indy area, so I hate that we had this happen.

BTW, I emailed my state representative after hitting him up on Twitter and have heard nothing back. Big surprise there.

Here's the synopsis of the law:

religious freedom restoration act. Provides that a state or
local government action may not substantially burden a person's right
to the exercise of religion unless it is demonstrated that applying the
burden to the person's exercise of religion is: (1) essential to further a
compelling governmental interest; and (2) the least restrictive means
of furthering the compelling governmental interest. Provides that a
person whose exercise of religion has been substantially burdened, or
is likely to be substantially burdened, by a state or local government
action may assert the burden as a claim or defense in a judicial
proceeding, regardless of whether the state or a political subdivision of
the state is a party to the judicial proceeding. Allows a person who