• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'An All-Male Party Makes Final Fantasy XV 'More Approachable', Says Director

Jarmel

Banned
or Tabata, the journey will have the cast adopting what he dubs a "boys will be boys" type demeanor. "It was the story we wanted to tell and what we wanted to show players," he explained.

"The world might be ready to see the curtain lifted on what boys do when girls aren't around, when they come out of the tent all prim and proper. That's kind of the idea behind it… we think, male or female player, that everyone will feel a certain connection and bond with the four characters.

I want to see someone pissing in the woods or on a campfire.

HeelPower

Its funny how in FF the female characters have been consistently better than their male counterparts more recently.

I think Garnet,Yuna,Ashe,Lightning,Fang etc completely outshine the male characters in their games.

FF has a history of doing females a lot better ,but maybe FFXV will finally put together a good male cast.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I think this ultimately describes my feelings on the matter: for better or for worse Final Fantasy as a franchise has never particularly had a problem with gender representation across pretty much its entire history. Given that they've never shied away from having diverse casts before, I'm inclined to trust them more than I would most when they say that in this particular game an all male cast suits the story they want to tell.

Fury451

Banned
I think I get what they're trying to say (They want the dynamic of a group of guy friends, which is approachable for a lot of audiences) - but man that phrasing is poor.

This sounds like their goal. I assume though that English isn't his first language/translation could be involved with making the wording sound very poor.

I think he's referring to gooey anime girls turning westerners away from japanese games, but it'll be read as meaning something else here.
Bit of an ol' gaff.

Considering Cid's design, I don't think he cares about that.

Here's hoping the next FF game consists of an all-female party that wear actual clothes and aren't waifu bait.
This will never happen, and it makes me sad

DeSolos

I have negative interest in a game with no playable female characters, but i don't know why they feel the need to be so defensive about this

I think it's because people keep asking for clarification. The answer has been the same every time.

1. This is the story they want to tell.
2. It's an interesting dynamic of brotherhood.
3. Adding a girl into the group changes the dynamic. (guys acting cool and stupid to impress her)

That said repeated clarification, mistranslation, and quotes out of context makes for a delightful game of clickbait telephone.

Soriku

Probably because it keeps popping up.

Yeah I don't understand the "Why is he being defensive comments?" comments. Have you seen the boy band complaints in other threads? But besides that, this is the first FF with an all male cast, and generally other JRPGs tend not to have all male casts either. Some clarification for their choice is not being "defensive".

Headline isn't doing this any favors. Going to just paste the stuff that seems to be getting glossed over so we can get some context:

"Speaking honestly, an all-male party feels almost more approachable for players. Even the presence of one female in the group will change their behaviour, so that they'll act differently. So to give the most natural feeling, to make them feel sincere and honest, having them all the same gender made sense in that way," Tabata said. The game certainly doesn't shy away from the theme of male intimacy, with the party sharing a tent, protecting each other in battles, and holding no qualms about showing open concern for one another.

For Tabata, the journey will have the cast adopting what he dubs a "boys will be boys" type demeanor. "It was the story we wanted to tell and what we wanted to show players," he explained.

"The world might be ready to see the curtain lifted on what boys do when girls aren't around, when they come out of the tent all prim and proper. That's kind of the idea behind it… we think, male or female player, that everyone will feel a certain connection and bond with the four characters."

The theme of male intimacy between the characters could be interesting if it's done well and if he thinks that having an all-male cast is the best way to tell the story then so be it. Still a shame about that Cid design though.

WolvenOne

I mean, he has a point in this regard. Teens/Young Men, to act a lot differently in the presence of women. Heck, in the demo you can see this whenever they interact with Cindy. If he wants them to act like, friendly relaxed bros, it'd be less realistic to have a female character around most of the time.

People, probably won't take it that way though. <_<;;

wmlk

Tetsuya Nomura, the actual CREATOR and Director of the game for 8 years told us why the cast is all-male.

Will this be a story of male camaraderie, similar to Crisis Core?

Nomura: No, for instance, someone [important] dies, and you must take revenge, well it won&#8217;t be a soppy story like that. It will adopt a more general &#8220;road movie&#8221; sense. As to why I chose a story about men, well, for example, among school friends, when they go traveling, it&#8217;s normal to see any combination of fellows in groups of all one gender. That&#8217;s all. We can look back on when we were students, and remember enjoying horsing around with our peers with no particular aim in mind.

And a member of a royal family just happens to be one of their number?

Nomura: That&#8217;s right. They have not banded together for any purpose or destiny. This lot, who are always horsing around find themselves at the heart of the story by chance. I wonder if one was a student, would one feel the story even more familiar? Of course, if one was an adult, they might feel nostalgic and enjoy remembering how they horsed around like that, I think. Talking about girls, for instance. In thinking about how to make it more familiar, it turned out this way. Next time we give information, we will reveal his name. It doesn&#8217;t have much to do with anything else, though.

I don't know why Tabata has to even defend this. Do interviewers really think that this is a slight against women?

DNAbro

Its funny how in FF the female characters have been consistently better than their male counterparts more recently.

I think Garnet,Yuna,Ashe,Lightning,Fang etc completely outshine the male characters in their games.

FF has a history of doing females a lot better ,but maybe FFXV will finally put together a good male cast.

Lol it better or the story will suck.

Unless somehow Luna steals the show.

Kouriozan

Ashe was and will always be my main in FF XII <3

I'm not ashamed to admit that I'm interested in a Final Fantasy game for the first time since IX because of the all-male cast. Its bros being bros and broing it out with their bros. Its nice not having hokey romance drama, just bunch of dudes giving each other shit and getting themselves into trouble.

You're forgetting the amazingness that was Balthier...SHAME

Sagely

Awesome, hopefully there are some cool bromance moments. I also liked the girls-only team in FFX-2. Brotherhood/sisterhood group dynamics can be so great :)

Makes some amount of sense. I enjoyed the group dynamic in FFX-2 and I expect to enjoy this as well. I don't want to see it as the standard going forward in FF, and I don't think they're disavowing the mixed-gender parties in previous games or anything silly like that, but the boys-on-a-road-trip party thing could be a story worth telling. Hopefully keeping Stella an NPC allows them to make her more interesting than the usual serious/demure/playful triad found in literally every single other FF game.

Also, hopefully you can power up your party with circle jerking around the campfire. All guys jack off together when there are no women present.

Bravo for being a voice of reason in an unreasonable world.

I'm not ashamed to admit that I'm interested in a Final Fantasy game for the first time since IX because of the all-male cast. Its bros being bros and broing it out with their bros. Its nice not having hokey romance drama, just bunch of dudes giving each other shit and getting themselves into trouble.

Why would you be ashamed? lol

Mesoian

Tetsuya Nomura, the actual CREATOR and Director of the game for 8 years told us why the cast is all-male.

I don't know why Tabata has to even defend this. Do interviewers really think that this is a slight against women?

We are getting to the point where if you don't have a playable female character, you game can be cast in a negative light. The fight for inclusiveness can leave it's mark on a lot of otherwise innocuous projects.

Why do people think there are playable characterS there is only 1 and it's Noct.

Because it's a final fantasy game and that's never happened before.

Like, if they're really going all in on "bros on a road trip" then you do get a different dynamic in an all male group. That might be offputting to a portion of their audience though. And attractive to another. Final Fantasy is one of the few series where the claim that the men are often as much objects of desire as the women is....reasonably true.
Yeah, it's one of these rare occurrences where I'd actually say an all male cast is actually there to attract a female audience. Not that it makes it great but whatever.

Edit: as far as explanations go, it's way less terrible than the tautological "we wanted three guys because masculinity something something".

Whatever they're going for, it failed completely with me. I've never seen a less appealing cast of characters for a Final Fantasy game. Puts me off buying it entirely quite frankly.

wmlk

That doesn't really contradict Tabata's statement though.

Tabata is just following up on Nomura's game design and world concepts. It doesn't contradict anything, but I'm wondering why we're taking this angle against creative freedom, and why Tabata has to word his answers like he's defending his game. He doesn't have to defend anything.

DaBuddaDa

This could be the first Final Fantasy game in decades without a playable female character. It's natural to ask "why's that?" I think the answers so far have been perfectly justified.

Dinda

Well it certainly makes it the first Final Fantasy i'm not interested in.

In most JRPG's i don't like the main Character, but at least there are other party members that are more sympathic to me. Not in this case though. Has to be the worst party i have ever seen.
But hey, since games i love typically don't do well commercially, I'm sure this one will be a hit.
and the Death of the Final Fantasy i loved.

I would agree with him if I didn't absolutely despise the main 4. Feel like I am playing an extremely cliche boy band. Good lord I hate everything about them but the actually design of them is the worst part for me. I really like the gameplay so far so at least there is that going for it.

Lunar15

I kind of assumed their logic behind an all-male cast was actually to attract a more female audience.

All of their press statements for games leading up to this seemed to indicate that they now viewed FF as a female leaning audience, and that their demo polls found that women preferred male characters.

I have no idea if that's actually true or not, nor do I agree with that line of thinking, it's just where I thought their head was at here.

I would agree with him if I didn't absolutely despise the main 4. Feel like I am playing an extremely cliche boy band. Good lord I hate everything about them but the actually design of them is the worst part for me. I really like the gameplay so far so at least there is that going for it.

You have a British Sounding man servant that can cook, a crazy younger kid with guns, a hulking goodball with a 6 foot sword, and a batman sounding Prince on the run...

Find a boyband in that for me. Please.

Jarate

Banned

In most JRPG's i don't like the main Chracter, but at least there are other party members that are more sympathic to me. Not in this case though. Has to be the worst party i have ever seen.
But hey, since games i love typically don't do well commercially, I'm sure this one will be a hit.

How can you make this judgement when no one knows shit about the characters

HeelPower

Lol it better or the story will suck.

Unless somehow Luna steals the show.

I am worried about Luna.I hope they didn't gowngrade her into a damsel in distress who's in love with Noctis.

The adversary part needs to be in the game.Otherwise female characters are getting too marginalized in FFXV.

Ashe was and will always be my main in FF XII <3

Yeah.A great female character she was.

You're forgetting the amazingness that was Balthier...SHAME

He's ok. He's good because of his dynamic with Fran though ;)

In most JRPG's i don't like the main Chracter, but at least there are other party members that are more sympathic to me. Not in this case though. Has to be the worst party i have ever seen.

Makes it one of te few JRPGs I'm interested in, the under aged girls with miniskirts and double d's is revolting.

Mesoian

If it avoids a Selphie / Rikku / Vanille, then I'm all for it.

LOL, it doesn't. The bubblehead is just a guy this time.

Were there many vocal complaints at the time about the all-female FFX-2 cast?

Yes. There are still a lot of people who won't give FF10-2 the time of day simply because it is an all female cast with only 3 members.

Which is a shame because FF10-2 is a great game (with a lot of DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUMB stuff in it).

I like this direction, and the logic makes sense to me. I don't want every game to have an all-male cast, but I don't see any reason to complain about this. If this is the story they want to tell, I'm down to hear it.

Saying you won't play a game with male PCs is just as stupid as saying you won't play as a female MC. I and many others were able to enjoy FFX2 with no problems; I imagine it's a 2 way street.

VV A perfect example of "LOL DIDN'T READ"

sensui-tomo

This could be the first Final Fantasy game in decades without a playable female character. It's natural to ask "why's that?" I think the answers so far have been perfectly justified.
It will be the first, he'll it's the first one character only is playable FF, and for the sake of some other side, this evens out ffx-2's female only cast, excluding the changes in international edition.

Top Bottom