• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Delayed games are a bummer but atleast it shows devolpers have faith in their games

Hermii

Why is it that Nintendo are hailed as heroes for doing something while other publishers and developers get flack for it?

That spin has been used by multiple other developers in the past, why do we assume Nintendo is being honest here?

Maybe because of their record of releasing games with very few technical issues.

cajunator

Banned
I don't understand the weird entitlement people have about games being delayed. Like 'no this game is supposed to come out today, THIS IS A HUGE PROBLEM' - I mean, things get delayed all the time in every industry. We aren't really supposed to know, is the issue. I guess the problem is just giving a release date too early and having people expect to have it by then. Release dates for games are given many months in advance or ballpark dates even years in advance, and people get all weird about it. So maybe some companies are just a bit too eager to get dates out but then again, I don't know anything about how companies really come to these kinds of decisions so I can only speak about the weird reaction people have about delays. Maybe just focus more on stuff you can actually buy.

I dont see what the big deal is. Look at the car industry where delays can sometimes span half a decade. Acura NSX should have been on sale years ago.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Reading anything into a game delay, much less all game delays is pointless.

It doesn't show anything other than that the game didn't make its scheduled release date.

Neff

Please remind me - what games were rushed by Nintendo? I honestly forgot about them.

Wind Waker and Super Mario Sunshine.

Wind Waker was famously fast-tracked to meet Gamecube's second christmas in Japan, and Mario Sunshine released to capitalise on Japan's 2002 summer. Both games featured slimmer content than normally expected, and abundant recycling/padding.

laxu

Platform-specific delays are often a lot more shady. It's been over 1.5 years for GTA V, if the game doesn't work great out of the box on release we can probably put the delays on financial decisions rather than actually needing more work to be done on the game.

I'd rather a game was delayed for all platforms and then released simultaneously than taking several months to release the PC version.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I'd rather a game was delayed for all platforms and then released simultaneously than taking several months to release the PC version.
So you want basically the Xbox One parity clause but for PC?

Do you want this so you can feel like a first-class customer?

This.
It's like people are seriously trying to convince others that Nintendo is better at delaying games than the others...
The point of the OP is that all of those companies RELEASED games that had broken elements or bugs. He's crediting Nintendo for delaying the games instead of releasing broken products like other companies.

ShamePain

Banned
Take note of what? Zelda U looked so barren and empty in the last demo, they literally had nothing aside from the core mechanics. The world looked like it was thrown together overnight. No way it was gonna make 2015.

Shiggy

vcusnNvPRWbsulo338OHZp-bdZRA6PkH.jpg

l9dcwjwxe2wh2jrrtm4a.jpg

SI_WiiUDS_MarioVsDonkeyKongTippingStars.jpg

Nintendo, take note.

danm999

The point of the OP is that all of those companies RELEASED games that had broken elements or bugs. He's crediting Nintendo for delaying the games instead of releasing broken products like other companies.

Nah, obviously that's not the point since Respawn have only released Titanfall, which worked just fine.

Why do they need to "take note"?

Why is it that Nintendo are hailed as heroes for doing something while other publishers and developers get flack for it?

That spin has been used by multiple other developers in the past, why do we assume Nintendo is being honest here?

People like to cite that stupid quote about delayed games eventually being good despite it being proven inconsistent several times.

BibiMaghoo

The thing is about time limits, is that people that love their work could happily work forever on something. They could spend 5 years tweaking things and adding features, then another five improving them still. There is always something that can be improved, and so for many a set amount of time is needed to get anything finished at all.

This is why roadmaps and such exist. It's not primarily to get things finished in the shortest amount of time, but to get them finished.

LeleSocho

Banned

Zelda has been delayed because of game design philosophy/issues not because of bugs otherwise they would easily show something at this e3.
The point of the thread it's totally Nintendo is better than others at delaying games, op mentions Rockstar and Evolution who delayed times and times again their games and they took a ton of shit from it but suddenly when nintendo does it they are the best even without seeing the result of the delay, pathetic.

Gurrry

I just wish they didnt announce release dates until they knew for sure that they were in the final stretches leading to launch. I also feel the same with pre-release footage. Dont drown us in footage of your game before it comes out. It makes it feel like the game has already came and passed. By the time it finally does release, I always feel like ive seen everything I need to and dont play it.

Basically, dont tell us something is coming unless its actually ready.

Pandy

Despite the negativity in the comments, I very much agree with you, OP.

I would say that you should have listed the publishers, not the devs, but I'll take your point as I believe it was intended.

MrBadger

Depends on why the game was delayed. Some games get delayed because of development issues and getting passed around from developer to developer before finally being released in some weird thrown together state. I'm talking games like Duke Nukem Forever and Metal Gear Rising.

I don't mind delays at all, but I wish devs/publishers would just with-hold announcing release windows/dates until they're at least 90% confident that they will hit that time-window, or that any delays are just 1-month optimisation/bug fixes, and not "game is more ambitious than planned, another 6 months!"

I have implicit trust of devs when they say game X will be out date Y. It's their project, it's their baby, they know their milestones and challenges better than anyone else. That's why I don't really partake in rumour mongering and speculating on 'potential delays', because I don't have any grounds to make that kind of guess-work without knowing about the state of development.

So it's two-ways frustrating, because now more games will be under the delaython scrutiny when talking about it.

I think most of the first announced release dates are complete fabricated BS done by publishers to increase hype, preorder sales, and console sales. Additionally they want to make themselves look good to shareholders. I don't think they ever intend to release in that window. I'll just use Uncharted 4 as an example. You're telling me that you know 8 months in advance that you won't hit your 2015 target? Then you probably knew that at the Playstation Experience event in December. I can't believe that after 4 months you just out of the blue realized you can't make your 2015 date.

Publishers don't even bother with gameplay trailers anymore. Let's show them a 30 second CGI trailer and put up preorders with DLC the next day before you've seen any of the game.

Most of those companies have delayed games to improve the product before release. We don't know exactly why Zelda is being delayed, it could be scope creep, bugs, lack of polish, or all of the above. This thread is confusing as shit because Nintendo is doing the exact same thing as all of those other devs.

OP, take note.

If I ever needed a thread to show how much of a pedestal Nintendo is put on by some people for doing absolutely nothing special that sets them apart from other comapanies, I'll be sure to link this here.

Seriously, every company you listed delayed plenty of games for very similiar reasons. Nintendo delaying ZeldaU is nothing special, let alone a reason to make a thread over how good their delay statement is.

Exactly. The level of blind Nintendo fanaticism from some here is truly unbelievable. Ugh.

As everyone has said, most (if not all) the developers/publishers listed in the OP have delayed their games for quality reasons.

How come OP didn't make this thread after Naughty Dog announced the delay of Uncharted 4?

Despite the negativity in the comments, I very much agree with you, OP.

I would say that you should have listed the publishers, not the devs, but I'll take your point as I believe it was intended.

What negativity? The OP is being called out (and deservedly so) for (1) putting Nintendo on a pedestal, and (2) providing a list of bad examples of other developers/publishers whose only "crime" was doing the same exact thing Nintendo is doing here.

Top Bottom