• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trevor Noah to replace John Stewart on The Daily Show

Status
Not open for further replies.

cashman

Banned
Yep this is his entire shtick. It better change or I won't be watching either. I don't give any shits about the differences between Africa and America. Neither does the majority of the audience. I hope Jon realizes this since he's still going to be an EP.

Geez man, black lives matter too.

Yep this is his entire shtick. It better change or I won't be watching either. I don't give any shits about the differences between Africa and America. Neither does the majority of the audience. I hope Jon realizes this since he's still going to be an EP.

If they were limiting the pool to current correspondents they should have gone with Jordan Klepper.

lol

You do realize that now that he's the host he won't merely have a correspondent personality/bit correct? He'll just be a regular host doing what hosts...do. Not the focus of a skit.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I love how some certain people are claiming to know Noah's full comedic range and voice based on a whopping three pieces on TDS.

Nah, man. Mandvi all the way.

Mandvi has other things going on, like HBO's The Brink, on which he's acting, producing and writing. I don't think he would have wanted to be pinned down to just doing The Daily Show, seems like he has enjoyed the flexibility to bounce around and do a lot of different things.

I wish the kid the best of luck. I thought his stand up was pretty hilarious. With his background he presents interesting perspectives. I hope he doesn't play too much into it. I would follow John Oliver's platform tbh(foreign perspective).

cdyhybrid

I'll give him a shot. There wasn't really a standout replacement for me (or at least not one that would have taken it), so why not? If the writers stay largely the same it should be a pretty smooth transition, I would think.

Not familiar with him, haven't seen the episodes he's been on or anything else he's done.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Pretty sure he is making his own show.

Furthermore, he's been trying to leave The Daily Show to write/star in his own show for many years. He's never been sitting around, hoping to replace Jon Stewart.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
lol

You do realize that now that he's the host he won't merely have a correspondent personality/bit correct? He'll just be a regular host doing what hosts...do. Not the focus of a skit.

Well tbh the only exposure I have to Noah is through TDS I can't say with certainty that his 'bits' are an exaggeration of his comedic style or whatever. I do hope he does what hosts do and is successful. I'll give him a chance just like I did with Larry.

ezrarh

Girlfriend and I just watched his special on Netflix. He's great - I think he has the smarts to host the show but he'll probably want to add his own character to it and not just try to be Stewart.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Dude should have cleared out his Twitter history over the past month or so. Lots of people digging up stupid tweets that aren't going to go over well. See this Buzzfeed guy's timeline: https://twitter.com/tomgara

Eh, if this costs him the job then we've got a pretty big problem. Guy's a comedian, throwing out cheesy one-liners on twitter for fun. If anything people should be pissed that the jokes aren't very good.

TTG

was he funny when he was on the show before?

No, I just assumed they would phase him out like Olivia Munn and some others. He's not funny and he was so wooden out there the segments looked painfully rehearsed and scripted. The latter can probably corrected... but the other part, I don't know.

It's a bit of rash indictment to make, considering I only have few bits on the show and the terrible videos linked here, but it seems a case of a great story, charisma and looks and that's it. A sort of foil for John Oliver that no one wanted.

Eh, if this costs him the job then we've got a pretty big problem. Guy's a comedian, throwing out cheesy one-liners on twitter for fun. If anything people should be pissed that the jokes aren't very good.

Agreed all around. I'm not seeing the appeal of his comedy, but that's not because of the subject matter.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Mxrz

Some of us his stuff seems funny, but so much of the show is rooted in blasting American stuff. Not sure how that'll go over when its coming from someone who isn't technically American. I'll watch and see.

Stewart taking over also felt a bit weird, but the show changed quite a bit with him.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
He's green but could grow into the role. Those tweets though, the fuck. Also that Tom Gara is maximum level hate and jelly.

Don't know why everyone is getting so upset. Stewart wasn't that funny either, yes. he was quite witty but it was mostly moral outrage, puns and a tapping is pen on the desk.

cdyhybrid

Yeah, he doesn't have to the funniest guy ever. He just has to have a sharp wit and be good at pointing out the absurdities of things if he's trying to keep the show on the same wavelength as the Stewart version.

studyguy

I don't know anyone who goes back and watches Stewart's comedy tbh. At this point I'm confident his writing team is doing the heavy lifting. There's no doubt that he's got a certain air of personality that adds a ton to the show, but I'll wait and see what the new dude brings. I'm not convinced it's all doom and gloom.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
ugh another British accented dude telling Americans what is wrong with America... no thanks

This shtick is getting old, ''look I am British (Piers Morgan, John Oliver blablaba) and I am making fun of you! telling YOu what is wrong with you''

I will pass

It sucks to have others point out your short-comings, I know, but that's what John Steward has been doing for years though. Unless you rather live in ignorance, don't you think the message is more important than who's delivering it?

Loofy

So he's not a fan of jews?

mh21X1O.jpg

israel sucks brah, even their leader wouldn't call his country peaceful. that first tweet is perfectly fine. the other stuff is certainly questionable. but if he's making jokes at the expense of other races and religion too then I'd say he's not specifically targeting just Jewish people.

Guess Who

Banned
So he's not a fan of jews?

mh21X1O.jpg

Ugh, the "Jewish chicks" and "#BeatsByDreidel" ones are pretty fucking gross, actually. Especially when you consider his current boss and the man he's replacing is possibly the most respected Jewish comedian working today. I can only hope he's reconsidered his stance in the past few years.

he's right about Israel though

jerry1594

Guy was talking about Juden just being Jew in German, and untermensch just meaning lower class, aloing with reappropriating kaffir. Some people were pissed.

pants

He seems like an exciting choice. His stand up routines seem to have shades of Eddie Izzard, or at least that's who he reminds me of.

Strongly disagree. I've seen Eddie about 6 times, Noah close to ten now, Noah isnt really funny, nowhere close to Eddie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom