• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NetherRealm producer quits twitter after threats to family

It's sad but how people are discovering this today?!?
Seriously, if you're famous or if you're the main interlocutor about a brand, a product or even if you have the slightest notoriety then you'll have some people who'll hate you...

It always has been the case and always will be. I'm not saying it's good but don't use Twitter or hide you personal data when it's professional or semi professional.

Also I don't see me being afraid of someone threatening me over the Internet (come at me GAF). I'm not even sure I'd be afraid if someone would say that he's going to kill me just in front of me... because people talk a lot and do nothing.

Also I'm not the best detective in the world but if someone wants to kill another person for real I'm not sure he would say it on Twitter.

Chû Totoro;158240917 said:
Also I'm not the best detective in the world but if someone wants to kill another person for real I'm not sure he would say it on Twitter.
You'd think so, but people have threatened school shootings and suicide online and on social media. Sometimes they come to fruition.

Aaron

Chû Totoro;158240917 said:
Yeah, they usually say it on Facebook. Proof that these people are crazy.

Hang on, I speak CEO:

"Let me talk very assertively and humbly so that you all really believe that change might be coming.

"I want you to think, if possible, that it's coming SOON. If you think it's coming soon, then you won't get any big ideas about trying to start a Twitter rival that has a way more strict stance on threats, stalking, trolling, and bullying. Starting a competitor would be taking on an impossible task anyway, but if you think you know where our weak spot is, it might get you a leg up. We don't want you to think you can have legs.

"So fall back, you non-leg-having motherfuckers. I've got reports to ignore."
A+ post and it sums up the actual attitude to user moderation Twitter has I.e. they don't. Since that statement there have been countless folks who have reported threats of rape and violence who get back that "doesn't violate ToS" answer. Apparently there is almost nothing that does violate the ToS on Twitter. Fuck them.

I have been using facebook and Twitter to interact with 100s bands and artist and I have never came across this level of harassment videogame personnel suffer through.

If you don't think the Videogame community is a poisonous well and is worse than other communities out there, then you should get your head out of the sand.
Did i in my post say music? harassment in the internet isn't tied to games I personally know movie reviewers that get harrased after some major reviews, i know tons of political activists that get harrased on facebook on a daily basis. And using one of the fucked up and most racist industries out there (music) isn't really smart. Look at what happened iggy she literally closed her social accounts due to the amount of harrasment and look at people like john Lennon get murdered by a fan.

You'd think so, but people have threatened school shootings and suicide online and on social media. Sometimes they come to fruition.

Yeah I know but we can't act like it's always the case and I see this like terrorism. People are threatening us, should I be afraid and let them win?

Here it's of course less serious than terrorism but like I said I'm not surprised.... and we can't arrest people because we assume they'd do it for real.

I don't know exactly the laws for death threats but that's where the solution is imo. Twitter helping identifying these sort of people and use the law to punish them accordingly to what they've done.

So yeah there is a solution but I guess the thing is that a defendant can say that a few phrases on the Internet, him having no guns or anything, not even having a lot of details about the person he had threaten and using the argument that being angry he used words that were too strong but didn't mean it.... and there you go, everyone back at home.

But I agree that Twitter should at least censor these tweets and watch closely the account of the person who tweeted this, maybe just give him a notice that he's going to be signalled to police by the next threat. I'm sure it'd be more than enough for them to stop.

Chû Totoro;158242429 said:
we can't arrest people because we assume they'd do it for real.

I don't know exactly the laws for death threats but that's where the solution is imo. Twitter helping identifying these sort of people and use the law to punish them accordingly to what they've done.

Threatening someone with physical harm is a crime in the US, it is a form of assault, regardless if you plan on actually doing it or not.

Meia

Threatening someone with physical harm is a crime in the US, it is a form of assault, regardless if you plan on actually doing it or not.

Made all the more baffling by lawmakers and police rarely treating online harassment as a "real threat".

ElRenoRaven

WTF!?!?!?!

What the hell is wrong with people? Seriously. To get so goddamn pissed over a videogame that you threaten a person much less their family with sexual assault and/or bodily harm is just fucking insane. It actually saddens me so much to see how vile and disgusting we as a species are getting. We're human fucking beings and yet we treat each other like we're pieces of shit. What happened to having some fucking humanity?

Yudoken

What's wrong with this people?
Seriously, how retarded can someone be to send death threats over a something like this?

WTF!?!?!?!

What the hell is wrong with people? Seriously. To get so goddamn pissed over a videogame that you threaten a person much less their family with sexual assault and/or bodily harm is just fucking insane. It actually saddens me so much to see how vile and disgusting we as a species are getting. We're human fucking beings and yet we treat each other like we're pieces of shit. What happened to having some fucking humanity?
Not really fair to say hateful jerks like these harassers represent the state of our entire species. Considering that the vast majority of people who play games don't act like that

CBErWrjWAAAqJ4N.jpg:large

Wow.

Mortal Kombat fans are the craziest fan base

PtM

Banned
There's plenty of people who can't behave themselves IRL either.
As well as that might be, the point is, anonymity and no looming consequences increase the percentage of virtual assholes.

I would appreciate it if people wouldn't embed this apish post again and again, it pisses me off.

Zornack

WTF!?!?!?!

There are so little repercussions for outrageous threats of violence on the internet that saying something like that has become akin to saying "put this character in or I'll dislike you!!"

system11

Twitter was awful since conception, a communication medium which forces users to issue only the most inane or contentless messages with little to no context.

It's a perfect platform for people to throw insults at eachother with, that's about it. It's too big to moderate at this point too, there's no hope of it getting fixed until they start requiring some kind of unique personal detail to register and lifetime ban people who abuse it.

sjay1994

WTF!?!?!?!

You'd be surprised what people would do to one another when they have to deal with very little consequence for their actions.

Top Bottom