• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"The Power of the Cloud" - what happened?

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
In the early day MS emphasized the cloud as something that could improve the gaming experience. It seems like this has yet to manifest itself.

Has MS given up on this approach or is it being used but not being talked about?

E92 M3

Yes, Microsoft has given up on the "bullshit the customers approach." That said, cloud technology can be potent if utilized correctly.

In the early day MS emphasized the cloud as something that could improve the gaming experience. It seems like this has yet to manifest itself.

Has MS given up on this approach or is it being used but not being talked about?

Lets see what crackdown can do before throwing it all out as BS marketing speak.

Alx

Last E3 they just replaced it with "dedicated servers" in their speech, and people were happy with that.

Mechazawa

To be fair, how many games has Microsoft actually released?

Their supposedly big game that utilizes it is supposed to be Crackdown, so we'll see how much server offloading will work when that finally comes out I guess.

JaggedSac

We will be seeing Crackdown at E3. So we shall see in regards to actual game calculations. As far as game servers, Titanfall uses them to great effect.

FZZ

Banned
For some reason this thread made me think of next gen

And then I thought of the next gen console names

Does PS5 sound and look weird as fuck to anyone else? I mean PS1, PS2, PS3, and PS4 all kinda roll off the tongue and look normal, but PS5 sounds weird as fuck and looks like PSS.

Damn.

Blablurn

Does PS5 sound and look weird as fuck to anyone else? I mean PS1, PS2, PS3, and PS4 all kinda roll off the tongue and look normal, but PS5 sounds weird as fuck and looks like PSS.

Damn.

I dont agree but I respect your opinion.

Convinced a bunch of investors who don't understand technology to invest.

Damn.
Don't post on GAF high.

kabel

Damn.

Uhhh...no.

kadotsu

Banned
It's sad that the scalable server infrastructure and nice storage is getting overshadowed by the snakeoil that is cloud GFX processing.

shanafan

"Xbox Record That" process can enable the clip to put on OneDrive, and can watch it from anywhere. I like that feature a lot. I have OneDrive on my PC and MacBook, and nice to watch the clips I record easily.

quickwhips

The fact that all PS4 and Xbox one games don't have dedicated servers and you can't host servers on your pc at home for console games is sad.

I think we are starting to see the plan come to life. Party chat now being on dedicated servers is a huge step forward, Halo 5 being all dedicated servers as well, Crackdown is heavily cloud based, and titanfalls online was awesome.....i feel like e3 we may finally see some real evidence of what microsoft can do with it.

It's an interesting concept that hasn't been put into practice AFAIK. Seeing how weaksauce these consoles are processing-wise, it could be an interesting development.

The New Blast Processing

Blast processing, as silly as the name is, is in fact real and refers to special features of the Mega Drive's DMA controller.

Derpyduck

Banned
The cloud is real, and it's awesome. I wish Bloodborne used a cloud solution for multiplayer. But MS attempted to convince people that the rather large power gap between their hardware and Sony's could be overcome by the nebulous Cloud. It was as hilarious as it was predictable. When used properly, however, it can be a huge plus for games and gamers. Just not in the way MS was attempting to trick people into believing.

Right now, yeah i think it's bullshit as it doesn't mean much. But in the future when internet gets better for everyone, then the term can make sense.

As for online play, PS4 does as good of a job as Xbox One for games running on dedicated servers. Titanfall has a good netcode once in a game but the whole process of getting in a game is still too long for my taste.

I don't know, when gaming i don't see a difference between PS4 and Xbox One for online games. Streaming is another story though...

quickwhips

Right now, yeah i think it's bullshit as it doesn't mean much. But in the future when internet gets better for everyone, then the term can make sense.

As for online play, PS4 does as good of a job as Xbox One for games running on dedicated servers. Titanfall has a good netcode once in a game but the whole process of getting in a game is still too long for my taste.

I don't know, when gaming i don't see a difference between PS4 and Xbox One for online games. Streaming is another story though...

What PS4 and Xbox One games have dedicated servers? I would think the list is small.

fedexpeon

Banned
Cloud servers always exist.
And as always, PR and Marketing job is to cover the wool over consumers and creating more sheep for their brand.
People just don't understand technology.
Just look at the DX12 old thread....some people still believe that hardware will magically update itself.
It is like the 90s once again where TV ads were telling people that they can download more rams for their PC.

They stopped talking about it because everyone kept freaking out whenever the phrase was spoken, but they're still working on it. Crackdown is apparently going to be the first game implementing it.

kabel

also:

QywpdTZl.jpg

I was gonna say reality happened. Now what.

MS is full of shit this gen :/

I find it disheartening and suprising that so many people take them seriously, especially after exposing themselves as a bunch of goons out to get your money that probably spit at the TV screen when they see a videogame commercial

Gamezone

Gold Member
"The power of the cloud" was PR they used because Xbox One is less powerful than the Playstation 4. Forza 5 drivatars and Titanfall bots was nothing special. Maybe Crackdown 3 will bring something to the table, but I won`t buy that anyway, because the game would be online required.

Mark Cerny also said that using the "cloud" to boost up the quality of the graphics doesn`t work. Anyway, they stopped using it after Phil Spencer became boss.

flkraven

Crackdown is their last chance to prove it is capable of doing anything regarding in-game processing. I think Titanfall's AI worked in the cloud or something...and Drivatars?

I don't think so; Fable Legends, Crackdown, and possibly the new Forza(drivatars) might still use the 'cloud' stuff. Other games are using the dedicated servers like Halo 5. They talk about it less, but still talk about it.

BibiMaghoo

To be fair, how many games has Microsoft actually released?

Their supposedly big game that utilizes it is supposed to be Crackdown, so we'll see how much server offloading will work when that finally comes out I guess.

The funny thing about this is, that Crackdown isn't using MS's cloud service at all. They have partnered with Cloudgine to provide the service.

Gestault

The back-end cloud functions on the XB1 have been solid, and have made a lot of things simpler with the new system. Are you talking about making graphics better? Yeah, that's not something we saw. Playing that up at any point was a silly talking point. We know there are some things that work with distributed computing (like big world-event physics displays or a large volume of stand-in player behavior profiles), but those are the extent of the "in-game" advantages we'll see. The service aspect of it is good though. General dev access to easy-to-spin-up dedicated servers alone is a good thing.

Top Bottom