• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen - Fans have dropped $77m on this guys buggy, half-built game [WIRED]

mocoworm

Long article. Click the link to see it all.

http://www.wired.com/2015/03/fans-dropped-77m-guys-buggy-half-built-game/

Star Citizen began as a crowdfunding project in the fall of 2012 and has since raised an astonishing $77 million from some 770,000 backers. That's an order of magnitude more money than the next-biggest crowdfunded videogame project. It's several multiples more than any other crowdfunding project of any kind. It's equivalent to the budget of a top-tier game like Watch Dogs or to Snapchat's Series B funding round. And Star Citizen continues to bring in millions of dollars every month. Yet only a few isolated segments of the game have been released so far, and even those are in a very early, bug-ridden form.

Andrain18

Banned
That seems insane. Where is the money going? Sure i'm being a backseat dev here but come on, 77 million you could hire a whole bunch of quality devs to work on it.

Jb

That title was one step removed from "You won't believe how much fans dropped on this guy's bugy, half-built game"! " Publishers hate him!"

Odah

Banned
Typical click-bait bullshit article.

Anyone who actually HAS the game and follows it's development knows "where" the money floats in.

Every Star Citizen article is either about what crowdfunding milestone their currently at or how expensive the ships are to purchase.

Building the biggest/best looking game ever?

LMAO

At what cost? I feel like its impossible for the game to live up to any reasonable potential to the same scale as the money invested.

It just doesn't seem controlled and calculated enough. I mean hey... the money being put in is voluntary but Its almost a damn cult at this point with them focusing more on funding and less on building the game at a pace consistent with the resources being dumped in.

And I off base here?

To be fair, they have shown little gameplay considering it is 2 years into development.

Excluding all that 33 gigabytes of gameplay I have installed on my computer right now and daily content updates via their website. Amirte?
LMAO

At what cost? I feel like its impossible for the game to live up to any reasonable potential to the same scale as the money invested.

It just doesn't seem controlled and calculated enough. I mean hey... the money being put in is voluntary but Its almost a damn cult at this point with them focusing more on funding and less on building the game at a pace consistent with the resources being dumped in.

Am I off base here?
You are off base unfortunately. Also, reading the article beyond its title answers all your questions.

Odah

Banned
And that is?

They are investing in multiple studios who are working on the game. They hired a ton of devs from Crytek to work on their game, opened new studios, etc...

They can spend all the money for working on the game instead of spending half of it for marketing and ads

Why the shit do some websites like Wired use only 20% of your screen's real estate space.

That article uses like 20% of my screen. I'm not browsing on a fucking mobile phone.

while the scope of the money being given to this company with so little accountability or financial auditing by (or for, by a third party) the supporters is rather crazy to me as someone in finance...

that title seems awfully unfair to what is basically not even alpha yet, but still constructing pre-alpha gameplay modules, and rather unfair to what i'm guessing is a rather big company and team now... article itself seems somewhat ok, if perhaps somewhat dismissive of the context of the genre and its legacy... but that title is a bit harsh.

RS4-

What does concern me is the Ubi like multiple studios spread out all over the place working on different things.

Carlius

Banned
And that is?

its not hard to determine the money is going into the game. they are in no rush to throw some unoptmized shit out there like most developers. its looking and feeling amazing, if you cant wait, spceically when you havent even backed the project, there is absolutely no reason to question with such hostility.

glaurung

I still haven't gotten around to pledging any money to them.

The proper hammer will fall later this year or next year - whenever they get the single player episode out the door. If that does not fly right, people will tear these guys to pieces.

Excluding all that 33 gigabytes of gameplay I have installed on my computer right now and daily content updates via their website. Amirte?

You are off base unfortunately. Also, reading the article beyond its title answers all your questions.

Are you sure you aren't trapped in some Star Citizen bubble right now?

Im being serious. Someone with the proper reasonable outlook should give us the short and sweet assessment of this whole thing

We already have many high profile failures with similar circumstances. What makes Star Citizen different?

Odah

Banned
while the scope of the money being given to this company with so little accountability or financial auditing by (or for, by a third party) the supporters is rather crazy to me as someone in finance...

that title seems awfully unfair to what is basically not even alpha yet, but still constructing pre-alpha gameplay modules, and rather unfair to what i'm guessing is a rather big company and team now

Exactly. Building all those assets, worlds, gameplay mechanics, etc. costs money. When the crowdfunding began the game was only a VISION by 1 man. He wanted to have the ultimate wing commander/space game and now it's slowly shaping up to be one. All the loose dots slowly start to connect (Arena Commander, FPS module, PU, etc)

Are you sure you aren't trapped in some Star Citizen bubble right now?

Im being serious. Someone with the proper reasonable outlook should give us the short and sweet assessment of this whole thing

We already have many high profile failures with similar circumstances. What makes Star Citizen different?

Well instead of accusing me of being delusional.. you may want to read the article which touches basically every point you are making. Then... idk.. decide for yourself?
Often enough in journalism, the headline is written by a different person, like an editor. Although an editor should've read the article :D
Hah.

epmode

LMAO

And I off base here?

Yes. It takes a long time to build a big game. Typically, you won't even see a AAA game until it's been in development for 2 or more years, and that's when the publisher has a fully-staffed developer on-board (CIG was built largely from scratch once the crowdfunding campaign opened).

Anyway, a number of major components to the game should fall into place this year so people interested in publishing articles like this should wait a little more.

CHC

Title seems kind of unfair, it's a half-finished game they are just choosing to let people try now. If you played literally any game that was 60% through development it would be a buggy mess.... The article doesn't really focus on that though.

I'm sure the game itself will be alright if not amazing. That said I don't like how they sell ships for exorbitant amounts of money at this point and I hope that doesn't color the game negatively.

KKRT00

To be fair, they have shown little gameplay considering it is 2 years into development.

HA HA, Oh wow.

They not only showed, but they actually gave out already, to the community, more gameplay than many full games released recently.

--
Everything I'm reading sounds awesome and the trailer introduces a really incredible premise.

That being said, I have to pay for each and every ship?
You dont have to pay for any ship.

Everything I'm reading sounds awesome and the trailer introduces a really incredible premise.

That being said, I have to pay for each and every ship?

The Cowboy

As a few others have said, the title of the article really doesn't fit what was written at all. - its a very interesting read.

Read the article. Some editor after the fact slapped on the title for clicks. It's not a hit-piece about a broken game, it's about Roberts' marketing skill, his world-building, and a look at what is to come.

Very good article, and it is only adding to the hype.

Camwi

HA HA, Oh wow.

They not only showed, but they actually gave out already, to the community, more gameplay than many full games released recently.

--

You dont have to pay for any ship.

I haven't been following any updates. What does the released gameplay involve so far?

"Half built". Gosh, it's almost as if the game is still in development or something.

EDIT - I did read the article, I just think that's a horrible click-bait title.

Bugs often hang around until the final phase of a product's development?

Also, I haven't backed but I follow the project with interest, and that title is a steaming pile of click bait.

I do think the ship purchases come off pretty gross but if folk want to spend that money to get me my dream Wing Commander successor with Squadron 42 more power to them.

Odah

Banned
I do think the ship purchases come off pretty gross but if folk want to spend that money to get me my dream Wing Commander successor with Squadron 42 more power to them.

That's how they do their backing. It's like on kickstarter where you can decide how much you wanna back and the more you do the better/bigger is your ship.

You can also wait and buy the game when it's release to earn ingmae credits and buy all ships without backing a single penny

As the scope of the game has increased, the delivery date for the final product has been repeatedly

pushed back. “It's definitely more ambitious now than when I first pitched it,” Roberts concedes. The full game was initially due in November 2014. At this point, the persistent universe is due out at the end of 2015, but it's not clear if that's the full, robust world or just a first peek at a work in progress. It's also not clear whether Cloud Imperium will make that deadline.

This is the scary part. Crowdfunding has BECOME the game. I would much rather creators focus and deliver a SINGULAR vision first and expand on the original product (and funding) AFTER a game is actually created.

I realize they have playable early access type material much like other games made this way...

I dunno. It looks like people will throw money at this game until it eventually is all there. I just cant imagine 320+ people toiling away for years and years without getting burned out

You have to draw a line in the sand and say THIS IS THE GAME

I love how anguished everyone is about Star Citizen and it's crowdfunding. Everyone except the backers who actually see what's going on with the development.

Kysen

The SC team are selling dreams and their fan base are lapping it up. All that money and what have they got to show for it.

Shinjica

There's more gameplay in the alpha builds than The Order 1886.

tumblr_nels64g9mG1s48ibpo1_500.gif

Kosma

Banned
That seems insane. Where is the money going? Sure i'm being a backseat dev here but come on, 77 million you could hire a whole bunch of quality devs to work on it.

If someone gave you 77m and you had 0 obligation, what would you do -the game

vio

I don`t think game is half done either. It will be though, in few years i guess. And it will be awesome.

Top Bottom