• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SIFTD Games Unveiled (by Shane Satterfield)

satterfield

BIGTIME TV MOGUL
Thanks for all the great comments and feedback. In response to the question about the $5 a month subscription, that's for people who may want to just try the site out for a month before committing to a full subscription. If they decide to upgrade to a full year it's prorated as well and deducts the $5 from the cost.

One suggestion I would make to everyone trying the site is to use the time sorting extensively. For some channels (as some have said) there isn't a ton of content released for them every day. That's when you jump up to 48 hours, a week, etc. The page will still be sifted by your settings no matter the time period.

Playing around with this in channels like Features and Culture really turn up some awesome stuff. The site has been curating for months and there is a ton of really great evergreen content buried inside it. The time sorting really brings it out.

The site has a lot of functionality that most don't notice right away, so I hope you guys really give it a shot during the free two weeks. The more you use/learn it the more its value becomes apparent. At any rate, thanks for even trying it at all. As a small business owner I really appreciate it. :)

User Dashboard > Edit Profile

What's up with Interests? Some of the icons could use some hovertext or something.

Interesting concept so far, will see how it fares for me during the trial period.

User Dashboard > Edit Profile

What's up with Interests? Some of the icons could use some hovertext or something.

Interesting concept so far, will see how it fares for me during the trial period.

They said they wanted to leave it up to interpretation. They feel like if you are a big enough fan of a certain genre that you would know what the symbols mean. I also feel like they should label them anyway, but that is just my opinion.

fushi

Go to the Witcher 3's game page and click the gear next to the game's title. Choose suppress and it will drop any content for the game to the bottom of your sift based on whatever time period you're sifting by.
Took me a second to find the page via search. And now I realized it can also be accessed by clicking on the colored subheader of a newsitem.

Keeping things somewhat hidden like this does reduce clutter a lot, but I think you are missing some visual cues or explanatory texts, such as:
  • "Search Everything" next to the looking glass;
  • hovering underline for the game title or perhaps a hovering explanatory link saying that this will lead you to the game's page;
  • ditto for the content type link;
The more I use the site the more I am falling in love with it! And this kinda makes sense since I dreamt up a vaguely similar concept some time back but never went anywhere with it. I just think you need to get a (more experienced) UX/designer type person to work on the site for a bit to iron out some of the really rough edges. Admittedly, this is only based on my PC-only experience for now.

satterfield

BIGTIME TV MOGUL
Took me a second to find the page via search. And now I realized it can also be accessed by clicking on the colored subheader of a newsitem.

Keeping things somewhat hidden like this does reduce clutter a lot, but I think you are missing some visual cues or explanatory texts, such as:
  • "Search Everything" next to the looking glass;
  • hovering underline for the game title or perhaps a hovering explanatory link saying that this will lead you to the game's page;
  • ditto for the content type link;
The more I use the site the more I am falling in love with it! And this kinda makes sense since I dreamt up a vaguely similar concept some time back but never went anywhere with it. I just think you need to get a (more experienced) UX/designer type person to work on the site for a bit to iron out some of the really rough edges. Admittedly, this is only based on my PC-only experience for now.

Thank you for the kind words and suggestions. This is just day one and we had to launch sometime. There is a ton of stuff we're working on and you'll see new things added to the site daily.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
As long as Marcus is there.....

How are videos handled in the site?

They have been releasing game face videos every week on youtube, and I really liked them.

Will subscribers get private access to the videos on youtube, or does the site host its own videos?

satterfield

BIGTIME TV MOGUL
How are videos handled in the site?

They have been releasing game face videos every week on youtube, and I really liked them.

Will subscribers get private access to the videos on youtube, or does the site host its own videos?

For all original content the site hosts its own videos. You can watch the latest episode of GameFace on the site right now.

For all original content the site hosts its own videos. You can watch the latest episode of GameFace on the site right now.

Thanks

Good luck with the site Shane. I always liked your commentary back in GT invisible walls, and its great teaming up with Marcus - enjoyed his fantasy list whining.

Congrats on the launch of Siftd, Shane! I've signed up for the free trial and will be going for the premium subscription when the trial is up. I'm really digging the site interface - I've already found and watched interesting content that I wouldn't have normally found through my normal web browsing!

Good luck with it Shane. It's a big risk going it alone with your own money and I hope it pays off for you.

Will definitely be subscribing just for gameface alone, which I enjoyed. Was wondering a few things. What is the plan for E3? Will you be uploading a video every day giving your thoughts on whatever you played or the biggest news that happened that day.

Also it would be nice to see you and Marcus play games together.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I wish Shane good luck. Always enjoyed his commentary on gt, and have liked what I have heard from him at Game Face so far. However, Marcus almost feels like a cartoon character with his exaggerated and badly argued opinions, and I think the show would be much better with a guy like Ryan Stevens instead.

satterfield

BIGTIME TV MOGUL
Good luck with it Shane. It's a big risk going it alone with your own money and I hope it pays off for you.

Will definitely be subscribing just for gameface alone, which I enjoyed. Was wondering a few things. What is the plan for E3? Will you be uploading a video every day giving your thoughts on whatever you played or the biggest news that happened that day.

Also it would be nice to see you and Marcus play games together.

We'll be live streaming pretty much all day throughout E3 and then archiving those broadcasts for subscribers. The site will be curating E3 media and stories around the clock during the show. Thanks for the words of encouragement.

We'll be live streaming pretty much all day throughout E3 and then archiving those broadcasts for subscribers. The site will be curating E3 media and stories around the clock during the show. Thanks for the words of encouragement.

Man, between you guys, Kinda Funny, and GT the coverage is too damn high. But I will love every second of it. Thank you.

Good job on the website.

It would be cool to have descriptions of what the Gameface episodes contain without playing the video.

Is it possible to have timestamp/timeline markers to go directly to the parts of a video I want to watch.

I visit gaming websites for exclusive content. I would like one place where I can see all of the exclusive siftd content on one page or link. Even a link in the + additional spaces would suffice.

I found the icons to be way too large to parse through information at an adequate rate. I Look at pictures and then the description. The layout forces me to view the whole thing.

A four story wide grid would be much better.

Can header order be manipulated in the future?

Please forgive me if i missed these things or if they are already being addressed.

I'm really liking the website so far and I'll probably go for the premium subscription once the free trial runs out.
Congrats on the website Shane, I can't wait to see all of the great content!

satterfield

BIGTIME TV MOGUL
Good job on the website.

It would be cool to have descriptions of what the Gameface episodes contain without playing the video.

Is it possible to have timestamp/timeline markers to go directly to the parts of a video I want to watch.

I visit gaming websites for exclusive content. I would like one place where I can see all of the exclusive siftd content on one page or link. Even a link in the + additional spaces would suffice.

I found the icons to be way too large to parse through information at an adequate rate. I Look at pictures and then the description. The layout forces me to view the whole thing.

A four story wide grid would be much better.

Can header order be manipulated in the future?

Please forgive me if i missed these things or if they are already being addressed.

We're working on the landing page for all original content. Just not done yet. Once it is you'll have a lot of the things you're asking for. Our player doesn't support markers right now, but we'll look into publishing each section of our shows separately so you can avoid topics you don't care about.

When you say header order, do you mean the order that site information is being loaded into display? If so, that is being worked on.

We're going to stick with the current two-column layout, though. Makes it easier to use/read--especially on mobile. Hopefully once you use it some more you'll grow to like it.

Thank you for the great suggestions!

The site is not for me, I already have my own content feed using RSS feeds from the sites I care, I'm not interested in getting my feed full of IGN, Polygon and sites like that. The idea is great and probably will work for a lot of people anyway. My only pain is missing the podcast, because my timezone is impossible for me to watch it live, and $30 just for the podcast archive is too much, but I will try the free trial, maybe I will change my mind.

If the site is all about your own feed, I think an option to filter websites and videogame companies should be there.

Also, after you read or watch something, the system marks it as read like any feed reader?.

In any case, good luck!.

I wouldn't mind some sharing options while reading articles. Pushbullet comes to mind, and an option to share both the siftd.net link to the article as well as the original article's link. Also for some reason when I try to connect a Twitter account it doesn't change anything on the Edit Profile page.

satterfield

BIGTIME TV MOGUL
I wouldn't mind some sharing options while reading articles. Pushbullet comes to mind, and an option to share both the siftd.net link to the article as well as the original article's link. Also for some reason when I try to connect a Twitter account it doesn't change anything on the Edit Profile page.

When you say doesn't change anything do you mean that your avatar from Twitter isn't showing up?

satterfield

BIGTIME TV MOGUL
Also, SIFTD is looking for a few content curators. If you know games/gaming sites/gaming content and can write a snappy blurb send me a DM.

satterfield

BIGTIME TV MOGUL
GAF is my free version of SIFTD

Have you tried the site yet? I sure hope you give it a chance. I think you might be surprised at what it can do, and it's free for another 12 days. I've been coming to GAF for over a decade so I totally get it, but who says you can't use and enjoy both?

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Have you tried the site yet? I sure hope you give it a chance. I think you might be surprised at what it can do, and it's free for another 12 days. I've been coming to GAF for over a decade so I totally get it, but who says you can't use and enjoy both?

I do like the idea behind it, just trying the free version, but are there any plans for more customization? I would like t get rid of the huge ass banner on top (not to mention the banner still shows Splatoon, which I am suppressing) and to adjust the size of the entries (like 3 or 4 entries per row). Also suppressing doesnt seem to remove content entirely? Maybe add a different function to not only move it down, but completely remove it from the stream.

Also as someone else mentioned, you cant filter out certain websites, right?

As for the GAF comparisons, you can check GAF within seconds to see all the important things that happened at any given day. The design restriction (huge pictures, only 2 pictures per row) make your website a lot harder to use comfortably as a steady source of information (for me).

Its really live for everyone now

http://siftd.net

But I'm getting an error trying to register right now I'll try again later.
Really want to check it out for 2 weeks to see if I like it enough to have a sub there.

Won't even load for me - although that may have something to do with my work connection. If it's blocked though usually it says so....

Good luck, Shane. I'll check it out later.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Just signed up for a subscription. Absolutely exceptional job on the site Shane. Looks professional and very well done. Will most definitely be supporting you guys.

GameFace is the BEST new gaming talk show to hit the circuit this year hands down! You and Marcus appear to have great chemistry and both of your opinions on many topics resonate with mine. This show is the one for me and you guys are firing on all cylinders. Keep up the great work Shane. I seriously can't wait til your live E3 coverage. SIFTD will be the defacto site come E3!

satterfield

BIGTIME TV MOGUL
Just signed up for a subscription. Absolutely exceptional job on the site Shane. Looks professional and very well done. Will most definitely be supporting you guys.

GameFace is the BEST new gaming talk show to hit the circuit this year hands down! You and Marcus appear to have great chemistry and both of your opinions on many topics resonate with mine. This show is the one for me and you guys are firing on all cylinders. Keep up the great work Shane. I seriously can't wait til your live E3 coverage. SIFTD will be the defacto site come E3!

I really appreciate the kind words and the support!

satterfield

BIGTIME TV MOGUL
I do like the idea behind it, just trying the free version, but are there any plans for more customization? I would like t get rid of the huge ass banner on top (not to mention the banner still shows Splatoon, which I am suppressing) and to adjust the size of the entries (like 3 or 4 entries per row). Also suppressing doesnt seem to remove content entirely? Maybe add a different function to not only move it down, but completely remove it from the stream.

Also as someone else mentioned, you cant filter out certain websites, right?

As for the GAF comparisons, you can check GAF within seconds to see all the important things that happened at any given day. The design restriction (huge pictures, only 2 pictures per row) make your website a lot harder to use comfortably as a steady source of information (for me).

The promotional image at the top of the homepage is not generated by your sift ratings, though the header images on the rest of the site are. We need to promote things, so that image is always going to be there.

We're adding the feature to follow and suppress sites just like you can with games right now. It's probably the most requested feature, and I've been surprised by that. It doesn't completely remove the content/site from your sift, but it drops it to the bottom of it. If you're sorting your sift by 48 hours or more, you'd have to scroll a LONG ways to see anything from suppressed sites.

Tons of new features are on the way, but I realize that it's very difficult to keep up with them all unless you're hyper-engaged. I appreciate you giving the site a chance and hopefully you'll stick with us at least through the free first two weeks.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
The promotional image at the top of the homepage is not generated by your sift ratings, though the header images on the rest of the site are. We need to promote things, so that image is always going to be there.

We're adding the feature to follow and suppress sites just like you can with games right now. It's probably the most requested feature, and I've been surprised by that. It doesn't completely remove the content/site from your sift, but it drops it to the bottom of it. If you're sorting your sift by 48 hours or more, you'd have to scroll a LONG ways to see anything from suppressed sites.

Tons of new features are on the way, but I realize that it's very difficult to keep up with them all unless you're hyper-engaged. I appreciate you giving the site a chance and hopefully you'll stick with us at least through the free first two weeks.

Thanks for the feedback, the part about the promotional image makes sense, though I would probably even pay another 5$ per year just to get rid of "promotions" :p

It took me 9 minutes to read through the blurbs/headlines that I got in my 48 hour stream. Thats quite a bit of info, and, to my surprise, I noticed in the past few days that I got quite a bit of info/interesting reading material from siftd that I didnt catch on GAF. It does seem like your website actually might work as additional source of information, congratulations on that ;)

However, I am not quite sure why you are surprised about the demands for the website filter. I know you were reading GAF/message boards in the past few years, and its a pretty common sentiment to not want to support content of particular websites that you don't agree with. Personally, I would love to exclude anything Gies wrote from my stream (so not only websites, but writers) for that reason. Or: Kotaku tried changing a lot lately, but there are still people who have valid reasons for not wanting a certain website to pop up in their personalized stream.

I don't think the 10$ payment is a big investment, but considering it IS paid, the customization really doesnt feel like it goes far enough. I also cant think of any pro-consumer reason to not allow content to be completely excluded from the stream (not just pushed to the bottom).

- Certain games might enrage an audience when they are fed up with reading about it, just pushing it to the bottom means they still see it after 9 minutes.
- It is common to want to avoid certain websites altogether. Just pushing it to the bottom is still adverse to the sentiment of "not wanting to support that website".
- Someone else mentioned not wanting to have a certain game in their stream due to spoilers.

When having a stream of new info personalized for me, I want to read it. I want to see all of it, and just pushing content to the bottom doesnt make it go away, it just feels like content that is pushed into my face, despite me stating clearly that I dont want it, which is contrary to the whole personalized setup/image you are trying to go for. I am not sure how negative I view that yet, but I cant see any way how the current setup is giving you any positive points regarding customer/reader opinion.

isamu

Yay it's Thursday! Can't wait to see what you guys have in store for today's episode.

Justinh

I love the site. Signed up a while ago. I love how quick the site loads and moving down the page is nice and smooth and it's easy to see if I want to actually read an article or watch a video based on the little snapshots.

I was a little disappointed that I didn't get in the beta. Maybe I'm not able to receive DMs on twitter, I dunno. I guess I wish I could upload an avatar instead of using my twitter one, though. My twitter pic is just a blank white box.

isamu

Great episode last week Shane! You guys are getting better and better.

Shane I have a question re E3 coverage. I know you guys will be live streaming all day covering E3 starting Monday, but I will be unable to watch most of the day due to work. Will there be an archive of your full days of coverage available on the site somewhere? I know that Twitch automatically saves archives, but I'm assuming you have that option turned out by default do to the site being for subscribers only(?). Will there be other options for those of us who can't watch live but want to watch an archive?

Thanks for the feedback, the part about the promotional image makes sense, though I would probably even pay another 5$ per year just to get rid of "promotions" :p

It took me 9 minutes to read through the blurbs/headlines that I got in my 48 hour stream. Thats quite a bit of info, and, to my surprise, I noticed in the past few days that I got quite a bit of info/interesting reading material from siftd that I didnt catch on GAF. It does seem like your website actually might work as additional source of information, congratulations on that ;)

However, I am not quite sure why you are surprised about the demands for the website filter. I know you were reading GAF/message boards in the past few years, and its a pretty common sentiment to not want to support content of particular websites that you don't agree with. Personally, I would love to exclude anything Gies wrote from my stream (so not only websites, but writers) for that reason. Or: Kotaku tried changing a lot lately, but there are still people who have valid reasons for not wanting a certain website to pop up in their personalized stream.

I don't think the 10$ payment is a big investment, but considering it IS paid, the customization really doesnt feel like it goes far enough. I also cant think of any pro-consumer reason to not allow content to be completely excluded from the stream (not just pushed to the bottom).

- Certain games might enrage an audience when they are fed up with reading about it, just pushing it to the bottom means they still see it after 9 minutes.
- It is common to want to avoid certain websites altogether. Just pushing it to the bottom is still adverse to the sentiment of "not wanting to support that website".
- Someone else mentioned not wanting to have a certain game in their stream due to spoilers.

When having a stream of new info personalized for me, I want to read it. I want to see all of it, and just pushing content to the bottom doesnt make it go away, it just feels like content that is pushed into my face, despite me stating clearly that I dont want it, which is contrary to the whole personalized setup/image you are trying to go for. I am not sure how negative I view that yet, but I cant see any way how the current setup is giving you any positive points regarding customer/reader opinion.

Great post, great suggestions....

isamu

15 minutes til SIFTD goes live peeps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Looks like Marcus has left this. Which is ashame.

As long as you get different guests in every week then it should be fine. Perhaps Ryan Stevens next?

Top Bottom