• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: F-Zero GX - This is only 480p?

Peltz

This game is more than just a great racer. Sure, it is undeniably so.

tumblr_myxyhsowgt1qd4q8ao1_500.gif

But it also represents an end of an era when companies like Sega, and Nintendo (together no less!) worked with the latest graphics technology to create something exhilarating and timeless to be enjoyed by only the most dedicated and skilled gamers for years to come. It was a rare combination of great talent that brought us such a special game.

Seeing F-Zero GX for the first time was like magic. The fact that the developers squeezed so much out of GCN hardware back then was nothing short of astounding for its time.

But the amazing thing is that the feeling of "magic" has not gone away after all of these years. Even though there have been other arcade racers with a great sense of speed (Burnout comes to mind), none of them seem to offer as high of a fidelity of control as does F-Zero GX. The tightness of the game... especially on the highest difficulty level is totally unmatched.

The genius of the game is the boost meter which also serves as your HP. The hardest difficulty levels will require you to exhaust your meter as much as possible which leads to some very tense gameplay. The only way to replenish the boost meter is to drive over the healing pads strewn in key locations on each track or to take out your opponents. This leads to many different strategic considerations as to how aggressive you need be and when you need to time your boosts to get the most out of your meter.

Very few games, let alone racing games, balance risk/tension/reward quite like F-Zero GX but it never manages to feel unfair despite the high difficulty level. This game is amazing and hopefully Nintendo can (somehow) manage to top it some day.

edit:

I wrote this RTTP after playing GX for hours this weekend. I finally unlocked "Master Mode" on Sunday. Plus I'm on episode 7 of the Story after being stuck on episode 2 for the longest time. I was having so much fun with the game this weekend I just needed to share. I will not give up until I 100% beat this game.

-KRS-

Still need to get this game. Been meaning to for years now but haven't really focused on my GC collection. Haven't played the game much but I love the other F-Zero games. I hope we will eventually get another game in the franchise.

Also this gif needs to be posted:
ibltHlIAFtLH8y.gif

Lunar15

The genius of the game is the boost meter which also serves as your HP. The hardest difficulty levels will require you to exhaust your meter as much as possible which leads to some very tense gameplay. The only way to replenish the boost meter is to drive over the healing pads strewn in key locations on each track or to take out your opponents. This leads to many different strategic considerations as to how aggressive you need be and when you need to time your boosts to get the most out of your meter.

Very few games, let alone racing games, balance risk/tension/reward quite like F-Zero GX but it never manages to feel unfair despite the high difficulty level. This game is amazing and hopefully Nintendo can (somehow) manage to top it some day.

You get it, you really get it. It's the ultimate "risk vs. reward" racer. So satisfying every time. I was never big into racing games, but GX felt more like some kind of crazy platformer than a racer at times.

Most people I talk to don't even know you can take out opponents. I always try to take out my rivals in every race. It can ensure a top ranking even at the highest difficulty.

Also, if you're new to the game, I seriously recommend you play more Grand Prix than you do Story Mode. Story Mode is more like "challenge mode". It can force you to learn new tricks and get better at doing specific challenges, but I'd argue that the real meat of the game is in the Grand Prix. Story mode just tends to burn some people out.

Crayon

I tried this game a few months ago and it ripped my balls off. It was pretty fun but i had to give up at the 4th level and i cant have babies now.

JaseMath

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that both this and Twilight Princess get the HD treatment before the Wii U is out the door. This first.

oni-link

The story mode in this game puts the "hard" into "Nintendo hard"

The Souls games are hard, but I feel like most people will be able to beat them if they put in the time, whereas this?

I feel like you need to be super human to beat this game, and I don't mean that in a bad way, its just so demanding that to beat it you need to be amazing, I honestly don't think I have the reflexes or timing skills to beat this game

TheDanimal

I borrowed this game from my brother when I was younger, and I think I gave up on like the second level in the story mode. I was demoralized.
I really want to try this game again!

ec0ec0

I really dislike how f-zero GX threads work on GAF :p Someone creates yet another one. Some people see it while it is in the front page/second page and we talk about the game a little. The thread dies after 2-3 pages (or even less), maybe a couple more if you're lucky. Some weeks/months latter someone creates another one.

It would be cool if we had just one, that would be beneficial for discussion. Instead of that, we tend to have short but frequent threads. It's better than nothing i guess...

edit: Although i have to give you credic for making a good OP. That will probably help the thread :D

SmithnCo

This is the best racing game I have ever played and there is no better feeling than killing Black Shadow's cheating ass in chapter 7. Just going through all the character theme songs they made shows the level of detail they put into the game.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
It's not really about "exhausting your boost meter" so much as using it efficiently. If you spam boosts, the AI will too and you will just drain it needlessly - you are going to run out of energy before they do.

Bubba77

I just beat the story mode this past weekend. It was on my gaming bucket list and I finally got it done! Some of those story missions are really tough. I avoided "cheesing" any levels with strategies shown on youtube so I feel pretty good about it. But I will never, ever, ever try hard mode!

chrixter

Hundreds of hours in this game, many of which were spent creating and testing custom machines with all the different parts you could unlock. Best racing game ever in my book.

AdanVC

Greatest racing game I've ever played. It's crazy to think this games came out in 2003. Has aged perfectly. I'm fortunate to have a copy of this game. I'm still play it from time to time. Still can't finish story mode. It's difficult as heck.

The story mode in this game puts the "hard" into "Nintendo hard"

The Souls games are hard, but I feel like most people will be able to beat them if they put in the time, whereas this?

I feel like you need to be super human to beat this game, and I don't mean that in a bad way, its just so demanding that to beat it you need to be amazing, I honestly don't think I have the reflexes or timing skills to beat this game
Just do what I did and do nothing but play this game for a few months straight.

tesla246

Still need to get this game. Been meaning to for years now but haven't really focused on my GC collection. Haven't played the game much but I love the other F-Zero games. I hope we will eventually get another game in the franchise.

If you plan to collect for GameCube in the future, I'd urge you to buy the few that are still reasonably priced right now (or try your luck at a yard sale in the future). Even if your current focus doesn't involve playing them right now; GameCube prices of (quite common) games are becoming more and more outrageous over the past years.

F-Zero GX certainly is in my personal GameCube top 5, it is nigh faultless. Because people are only now realizing how amazing most of the GameCube library is, and how relatively few copies were sold of most games, prices will only rise in the future. I'm actually ''scared'' searching for the remaining games I have yet to buy in mint condition in the future because of this lol.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
If you plan to collect for GameCube in the future, I'd urge you to buy the few that are still reasonably priced right now (maybe through a yard sale). Even if your current focus doesn't involve playing them right now; GameCube prices of (quite common) games are becoming more and more outrageous by the month.

F-Zero GX certainly is in my personal GameCube top 5, it is nigh faultless. Because people are only now realizing how amazing most of the GameCube library is, and how relatively few copies were sold of most games, prices will only rise in the future. I'm actually ''scared'' searching for the remaining games I have yet to buy in mint condition in the future because of this lol.

This game costs about twice as much as it did a year and a half ago when I bought a copy for someone here.

GC prices are so crazy.

(i don't use dolphin)

I don't know how accurate the latest version is at reproducing GX physics. We would need Madao to appear for that :p

Perfectly. A few months back they showed the game running on dolphin using saved race data, if the data even slightly desyncs, it boots it back to menu... So using real saved race data from a real GCN run through dolphin netted 100% accurate results.

cacildo

My favorite game.

Every E3 I wait for the announcement of a new F-Zero...

What if they release a new F-Zero... and it sucks?

Maybe it should really stay in the past> Wasnt myamoto that said they didnt know how to push F-Zero forward? Like there´s nothing else that can be done with it?

People talk about online... but then some people come in and say you cant make F-Zero GX online because no netcode could make it as perfect as playing it local multiplayer...

Its a tough call.. I wish i could see it as a remaster, but i KNOW people would die if it came out without an online mode...

Sydle

It's still pretty great looking.

I would buy this game again for a HD remaster that was online enabled. I wouldn't complete story mode again though, because I don't need more gray hair.

tesla246

This game costs about twice as much as it did a year and a half ago when I bought a copy for someone here.

GC prices are so crazy.

Yes, this game was only 20 at most 2 years back complete in mint condition. Now it will go for double. Collecting GameCube games in mint condition can be rather frustrating, because of high demand and prices.

I remember buying a D-terminal cable for 30 euros 2 years back (only for collecting purposes). Now kicking myself for not buying the second on the guy had lying around. This was not Ebay, mind you, but these sweet deals are becoming more rare as time passes by :(

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I see it at 26-30 Used on Amazon.

96 dollars new

Yeah, but it was like $10-15 at the time.

It's still pretty great looking.

I would buy this game again for a HD remaster that was online enabled. I wouldn't complete story mode again though, because I don't need more gray hair.

F-Zero online would kind of suck. For one, there is no catch-up mechanic, if you struggle during the story mode or the harder grand prix difficulties you are going to be running a time trial online since the good players will be so far ahead of you. Then there is pretty much no way it would be decently functional. At the speed GX plays at, you would have vehicles flying around and teleporting all over the place as the game tries to keep up. MK8 already suffers from positional lag so players aren't necessarily where they appear to be on your screen, it would be far worse in F-Zero. Nothing like getting slammed off the track by a vehicle that wasn't even there!

Dr. Buni

I think not getting a game is better than getting a shit one. Not having Metroid games since 2007 would have been better than Other M by default (example).
Without analog triggers, it would be rather difficult. Seriously, what a dipshit move that was.
Couldn't they adapt the game for the Wii U controller... somehow?

ss_lemonade

The perfect game to try out the new frame rate unlock feature.

144 FPS F-Zero! Too bad I don't own the game.

Wait, so no hacks and/or patches needed anymore to unlock framerates in games??

Also, doesn't Dolphin have difficulty running certain tracks in F-Zero, or is that something config related that can be fixed?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Wait, so no hacks and/or patches needed anymore to unlock framerates in games??

Also, doesn't Dolphin have difficulty running certain tracks in F-Zero, or is that something config related that can be fixed?

Last time I tried it (which was a while ago now), the first Sand Ocean had some massive slowdown in the tunnel. Don't recall any other issues, but I didn't put a lot of time into it. Was also prone to crashing randomly, but that might not be as bad anymore?

Baleoce

in the dolphin thread? maybe

thanks, i ended up finding a compatibility page on the official site. just been playing it as I wanted to try something new out, and I have to say, this game lends itself perfectly to arcade stick controls. it feels very right with f-zero.

Kriken

The perfect game to try out the new frame rate unlock feature.

144 FPS F-Zero! Too bad I don't own the game.

Too bad Nintendo won't let me give them money to own this game. I need to try this out myself, and given the only way to own it is by second hand, I don't feel bad for using Dolphin

Peltz

It's not really about "exhausting your boost meter" so much as using it efficiently. If you spam boosts, the AI will too and you will just drain it needlessly - you are going to run out of energy before they do.

On harder difficulty levels and late in the Story, you can't really win if you don't use your boost very liberally. You definitely can't spam it. But even on "expert" mode, I couldn't get 1st place without nearly destroying my ship.

The AI will boost even if you don't use yours on the harder modes.

tesla246

There is just one speed in that game and that's full speed. No need for analog triggers. Plus it worked for every other game in that series.

I respectfully disagree. One of the many aspects GX excelled in were controlls: alltough F-zero X controlled well when mastered, GX absolutely perfected the controls to the point that I cannot think of how they could be improved. F-zero GX was one of the few GC games that utilized analog triggers perfectly, to the point of no return, as they definitely add to the spot on controlls. Sand ocean lateral shift is just not the same without the triggers. God I love the GameCube controller, absolutely perfect design :')

Also this gif needs to be posted:
ibltHlIAFtLH8y.gif

And people say Mario Kart 200cc satisfies the F-Zero thirst.

Top Bottom