• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Apr 13-19 | This Netkode Is An Injustice

rocK`

Banned
Adding to this thread given conversation is ongoing
I'm still kind of glad SFxTK crashed and burned.
I don't get this line of thinking. You're glad capcom lost a bet on a fighting game? Forcing them to double down on usf4 and pray sf5 goes well, all the while making them hesitant to making another vs series and not experimenting?

Yeah huge win there bros.

K.Sabot

Uh, what? The actual console product (at least in Xrd's case) is superb. It's just that the version shenanigans shaft the competitive players. The patching nonsense is one reason I feel more drawn to UNIEL and KOF - what I learn will stick, and I learn way too damn slowly.

More a comment on the time rather than the quality.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I don't get this line of thinking. You're glad capcom lost a bet on a fighting game? Forcing them to double down on usf4 and pray sf5 goes well, all the while making them hesitant to making another vs series and not experimenting?

Yeah huge win there bros.

I'm glad that a game with such gross monetization hooks was sunk out of the gate, yes.

Basically, refer to this post and adapt it to this topic instead of the used games market. Basically, if a publisher can't conceive a successful fighting game without attaching pay-to-win schemes to it, then they deserve to fail, as far as I'm concerned. I can find another hobby if I need to.

fubarduck

No way was 3rd Strike more popular than CVS2 in the dark ages. Maybe in Japan but definitely not North America.

If 3rd Strike had more SF2 characters it would be a different story. It wasn't until the Anniversary Edition did 3rd Strike gain any real traction.

When CVS2 came out, it was the hot new thing and everyone and their mom played it. In fact, the first Evo (2002) had CVS2 as a main title with 3rd Strike as a side Exhibition (US vs Japan 5v5).

However, that exhibition BLEW UP 3rd Strike's popularity in the United States. The decimation that occurred that evening by Japan's hands opened up people's eyes to the game. Players went back to their local arcades and spoke of Tokido's legendary Urien unblockable setups and Chikyuu's Twelve both going 5-0 over the US's best.

In 2003, 3rd Strike was brought back as a main title, and by 2004 I believe it was pretty close to CVS2 in terms of Evo entrants. I imagine CVS2 still had a slight edge that year due to Evo still being held in California (Cal Poly).

There was a lot of regional affiliation with the two titles as well. NorCal was always known as CVS2 heaven and SoCal was always more known for 3rd Strike. Austin, NYC and Omaha were well-known 3rd Strike hotspots while SVGL was more of a CVS2 spot.

Both were great games, but by 2005 (the year Anniversary dropped officially in NA) I believe it outnumbered CVS2 in terms of entrants. In 2003/2004 the game partly suffered because the Dreamcast version was extremely unfaithful to the arcade version, so EVO had to use the arcade boards for 3rd Strike while CVS2's Dreamcast version was arcade perfect minus the speed difference to match NTSC's refresh rate.

rocK`

Banned
I'm glad that a game with such gross monetization hooks was sunk out of the gate, yes.

Basically, refer to this post and adapt it to this topic instead of the used games market. Basically, if a publisher can't conceive a successful fighting game without attaching pay-to-win schemes to it, then they deserve to fail, as far as I'm concerned. I can find another hobby if I need to.

Such a narrow minded view. Agree with you, capcoms on disc dlc and gem system was counter intuitive to what the FGC needs, but be honest. Capcom provided a lot of us what we thought was a dream, Heihachi vs Akuma, Jin vs Ken, etc.

You can teach the lesson and not kill the game. But hey, as long as sixfourtyfive has another hobby to go to, no harm no foul I suppose.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Did anyone else notice that the lag problem in USF4 ranked on Steam is pretty much gone? I've played quite a lot recently and never noticed any huge spikes that were common a while ago.

.la1n

I still play SFxT from time to time, unfortunate that it has no presence now but Capcom deserved what they got.

Love the thread title this week btw.

alstein

Such a narrow minded view. Agree with you, capcoms on disc dlc and gem system was counter intuitive to what the FGC needs, but be honest. Capcom provided a lot of us what we thought was a dream, Heihachi vs Akuma, Jin vs Ken, etc.

You can teach the lesson and not kill the game. But hey, as long as sixfourtyfive has another hobby to go to, no harm no foul I suppose.

The only way you can teach a company a lesson is through its pocketbook. And even then, they can sometimes get the wrong lesson. If folks had accepted SFxTK, SF5 would probably have had pay-to-win elements.

SFxTK was a game that deserved the blowback it got due to its business model, and the game being jab x timeout at launch sealed its fate, especially in a market where new fighters that were better games were coming out bimonthly.

Did anyone else notice that the lag problem in USF4 ranked on Steam is pretty much gone? I've played quite a lot recently and never noticed any huge spikes that were common a while ago.

I still see it occasionally, but most of the time it's with folks I suspect of lagswitching.

I will bop anybody here on SFxT free.

My Steve Dawg, MY STEVE DAWG.

They lowkey nerfed his Ducking grab because shit used to gain mad meter smh.

Anybody wants to challenge me leggo

ArjanN

It's been patched a bunch of times if I remember correctly.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Last I heard was that the problem was actually on Valve's side and they were looking into it. Maybe they did their part now. I hope it's not too late, because I still see all the top players on 360 only.

Malice215

I don't see people shedding tears for any other fighting game that people wanted to see dead, but I'm supposed to po' out a 40 for SFxT? Stop.

SFxT was a side chick. Hot for a minute until people got what they wanted out of it and moved back to their main chick SF4 once the comp dried up and people got tired of losing to Infiltration.

Plus your SFxT diehards are online players who don't go to events. Your top players aren't going to stick with the game on the decline. 2v2 was implemented to help keep some interest in the game once people were quitting the game after a month. And the bad reception from on disk DLC kept others from giving it another look.

So Bonchan might go to the Korean ranking event too? That tournament is going to be stacked.

Bonchan learned how to fight Sim by watching Santarou man vs YHC Mochi in B League.

alstein

Last I heard was that the problem was actually on Valve's side and they were looking into it. Maybe they did their part now. I hope it's not too late, because I still see all the top players on 360 only.

PC has additional community-related online problems, such as more lagswitchers and macro users.

Not the game's fault, it's just easier to cheat on PC due to how open it is.

It's going to make SF5 interesting if these folks get to use their crap online vs console folks.

I have to give real credit to Lab Zero for making those sorts of exploits irrelevant/unworthwhile in Skullgirls through a combination of fixes and game design. Really smart stuff.

Kimosabae

Banned
smh

People still creating a narrative about Melee players "not moving" on, when there's no game for them to "move on" to?

I signed up on neogaf not just to promote Melee, but I wanted to help bridge the gaps between fighting game communities in general. That's why I started the FGC thread with Crimson Blur. I'd still like to believe there's such a thing as an "FGC", though it does feel a bit more naive to me today, than it did 7 years ago. I just refuse to believe that people can't at least appreciate something they're not directly involved with if they get the proper exposure to it - just like larger culture. What "proper exposure" is or means is the bramble.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
PC has additional community-related online problems, such as more lagswitchers and macro users.

Not the game's fault, it's just easier to cheat on PC due to how open it is.

It's going to make SF5 interesting if these folks get to use their crap online vs console folks.

I can't say that my online experience on Steam is worse than it was on 360, apart from the lags it had. I had way more rage quitters on 360, but it was also earlier on, so more beginners were playing.

Bizazedo

I'm not going to say that the stream monster solely killed the game, but it was a big part of the mentality against it. SFxT wasn't a bad game, in fact it was pretty damn fun to play when you understood the neutral game. The only thing that was bad about it was the vanilla version and the vanilla assist gems.

There was something very fun about that combo system. I still know my Rufus x Dudley combos pretty well.
I'll be honest, part of the reason I couldn't get into the game was the combo system. I may be wrong here, and if I am...eh, but I couldn't stand a lot of the combos where people got tagged in and out quickly. There was something inside of me that hated seeing quick tags.

Completely superficial, perhaps, but it is what it is for me.

K.Sabot

smh

People still creating a narrative about Melee players "not moving" on, when there's no game for them to "move on" to?

I signed up on neogaf not just to promote Melee, but I wanted to help bridge the gaps between fighting game communities in general. That's why I started the FGC thread with Crimson Blur. I'd still like to believe there's such a thing as an "FGC", though it does feel a bit more naive to me today, than it did 7 years ago. I just refuse to believe that people can't at least appreciate something they're not directly involved with if they get the proper exposure to it - just like larger culture. What "proper exposure" is or means is the bramble.

Speaking of moving on, you see that recent kotaku article about how everyone needs to move on and support Sm4sh? Dude had the gumption to post it on /r/smashbros looking for feedback lololol

I agree with it, but it sucks so bad it had to happen to such a good game

If it wasn't for sfxt failing, we would have major fighting games released with huge amounts of DLC, preorder characters and things like season passes while missing important things like good netcode.

Luckily people don't buy into that sort of thing.

alstein

I can't say that my online experience on Steam is worse than it was on 360, apart from the lags it had. I had way more rage quitters on 360, but it was also earlier on, so more beginners were playing.

Well, about 5-10% of my matches (it's a bit lower when I play endless), I get horrible lag while my opponent can do combos no problem

Also, noticing on PC vs console- some players hit their links every time, which is something you see a lot less of on console, and this is despite being worse at other aspects of the game on average.

It isn't a huge percentage of the players, but it's enough to be noticable.

Generally, of the two friends I played console and PC with, when I played PC- the connection was better on PC. I don't own a console anymore though- gave that up when SF5 was going crossplay- no more reason for me to own one, especially with paying for online play- that's a dealbreaker for me.

Clawww

When CVS2 came out, it was the hot new thing and everyone and their mom played it. In fact, the first Evo (2002) had CVS2 as a main title with 3rd Strike as a side Exhibition (US vs Japan 5v5).

However, that exhibition BLEW UP 3rd Strike's popularity in the United States. The decimation that occurred that evening by Japan's hands opened up people's eyes to the game. Players went back to their local arcades and spoke of Tokido's legendary Urien unblockable setups and Chikyuu's Twelve both going 5-0 over the US's best.

In 2003, 3rd Strike was brought back as a main title, and by 2004 I believe it was pretty close to CVS2 in terms of Evo entrants. I imagine CVS2 still had a slight edge that year due to Evo still being held in California (Cal Poly).

There was a lot of regional affiliation with the two titles as well. NorCal was always known as CVS2 heaven and SoCal was always more known for 3rd Strike. Austin, NYC and Omaha were well-known 3rd Strike hotspots while SVGL was more of a CVS2 spot.

Both were great games, but by 2005 (the year Anniversary dropped officially in NA) I believe it outnumbered CVS2 in terms of entrants. In 2003/2004 the game partly suffered because the Dreamcast version was extremely unfaithful to the arcade version, so EVO had to use the arcade boards for 3rd Strike while CVS2's Dreamcast version was arcade perfect minus the speed difference to match NTSC's refresh rate.

Nice. Thanks for sharing some history. I gotta see this 5v5.

Skilletor

Top players move on to get $$$$, new players move on because that's what they do. A few middling players will stick around because they'll be too scared of leaving their SFIV glory days behind.

MvC2 got dropped crazy hard after MvC3 released. I remember it was so bad that JWong abandoned his MvC2 grand finals at Winter Brawl (IIRC) just to watch Marvel 3 play. And that was MvC2's last major.

MvC2 was already dead. New stuff wasn't being found, and the same players were winning everything. The game only allowed 6-7 characters playable at the highest levels. Totally different situation from SF4 when SF5 will be released.

Kimosabae

Banned
Article in question

And the author's appeal to a community founded on melee

The article was quite prominent on the front page of Kotaku, it got a big slot in comparison to most other articles on the day it was published.

edit: archive link because fuck kotaku and their fanboy / click bait

I actually think the article is impressively fair and well-reasoned. You could almost write the same article word for word and switch the title and concluding paragraph in favor of Melee. Without a doubt, there are logistical problems attached with keeping such an old game around and everyone focusing more on one game, without those complications would be ideal.

As a Melee apologist, my biggest emotional attachment to the game are the mechanics that make it the most precise and expressive fighting game on the planet (Dash Dancing, Wavedashing/Wavelanding/Platform Dashing). They're expressions of FG elements that simply don't exist anywhere else, and I don't want to see them disappear. That's why my bias is strongly in favor of Melee being the face of the community. That, and the dexterity and dedication needed to play the game at a high level are in congruence with traditional FG values I also don't want to see disappear, but are also endangered.

There's such a mirthful irony in the notion that Melee, of all the visible competitive FGs atm, is the most "old-school" and "hardcore" among them, and that this has become plainly visible. It's part of the reason I feel so comfortable personally putting the game to rest.

Top Bottom