• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else regret buying a Wii u?

Anyone else bought the system just to find out that the games don't even go down in price?
Bayonetta 2 is till over 55$ dollars,same with pikmin 3 & mario kart.

Even wii games still sell for really high prices, freaking LOZ SS is still selling for 59.99 in ebay or Amazon.

Most games mentioned don't show any signs of price cut :(

And I cant even get into the w101, and returned smash due to poor controls/online play.
And I now zelda wont even come out till 2016.

The times I use the wii u is to watch movies and quick Internet :)

Just wondering if anyone is in the same boat,and what is keeping you from selling it or trading it for credit or something.

HUELEN10

Are you saying the Bayonetta 2 Pak and Mario Kart 8 aren't worth 55 bucks? There are sales, just look for them.

Jamix012

I don't regret the Wii U purchase, it's actually by far my favourite home console this gen so far, (also am a little confused about your bad controls comment RE: Smash) but I do sympathise with the lack of dropping prices.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
You bought a Wii U and expected cheap games? After how the Wii (and hell, Nintendo's previous consoles) games were priced? Really?

Just buy Bayonetta 2, dude. Otherwise you're going to get put into an Xenoblade for $80 situation.

I bought mine mainly for Xenoblade and SMTxFE. The rest is just distractions until then.

But yeah, Nintendo's stuff doesn't drop in price fast, but that also makes it excellent trade-in fodder. 6 months post-release and you can still often get $30-40 for most 1st party Wii U titles.

Crayolan

The buying at the end of the gen when prices are dirt cheap trick doesn't work with Nintendo.

It also doesn't work before the end of the gen.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I sure as hell do not. It has the best games from the past few years as exclusive titles, and it's a great novelty for friend reunions.

Well worth the price, IMO. Both the console and the games.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Good luck in this thread, OP.

For the record, Nintendo's games don't really drop in price as other publishers' games tend to drop. Check the used game market.

I'm waiting for a price crash, when Nintendo inevitably announces their new console, I'm going to get one as the shops drop their prices to clear out their Wii U stock.

georly

You regret buying a Wii U because... games are too expensive? I haven't heard this one before.

Yup, new to me, especially since nintendo's pricing scheme has been doing this for... as long as I remember, maybe even through SNES. Nintendo games do not drop in price (even used) unless it's the end of the generation ('best of') or the game sells a ton, isn't good, and gets sold back a ton (wii music, wii sports).

They usually hold full value for an entire generation. They are not steam, nor do they need to be, they are the only ones making nintendo games and they're only for nintendo systems, so if you want to play mario or zelda, you have to pay mario or zelda prices.

That said, Wii U is one of my favorite consoles, sporting some of the best games nintendo has ever ever ever made. I already love it more than my Wii or gamecube.

Thorakai

Just wondering if anyone is in the same boat,and what is keeping you from selling it or trading it for credit or something.

I'm gonna hazard to guess the people that are happy with their Wii U have the money to afford the games that interested them in the first place.

Raide

A good 100+ hours into Monster Hunter and then I had no other real interest in playing other Wii-U games.

Only Xenoblade X will make me drag out my console to put another 100+ hours into a game, which sucks because its not going to be out till later this year.

GeekyDad

Been primarily a handheld gamer since DS launched, but seeing how much enjoyment my sons get just from SSB, thing was worth it just for that.

There's plenty to love. Games aren't overpriced when compared to current prices across consoles.

Kriken

When I read the thread title, I thought this would be similar to the "Do you regret buying a Vita?" thread. Didn't think it'd be game prices

Elixist

i've had alot of fun with it. but i want Mario 128 you bastards! i cry myself to sleep at night thinking about how great it could be, open world, millions of secrets, 64 level of great controls, ships with a n64 controller haha

I regret it for different reasons.
it had some nice games in 2014, but the future is pretty empty besides XBX and zelda u.

And really, where is that bayonetta 2 price cut?

Yushi

Nintendo games rarelly goes down in prices, been like that since forever. So no I don't regret it because i mostly buy my games at release. I like to play the popular games while everyone is playing them, so i can in the heat of the discussion, not 10 months later.

Are you saying the Bayonetta 2 Pak and Mario Kart 8 aren't worth 55 bucks? There are sales, just look for them.

They are,
I would love to play those games, but I honestly thought these games would sell 20 bucks by now,this is all due to my backlog really.

for example the next game I might get is captain toad, I think I saw a sell for 20 bucks the other day.

just waiting to finish bloodborne.

_DiGiTaL_

I don't regret buying WiiU I also feel I get my money worth from my WiiU more than I do my Xbone and PS4. The only regret I have is buying the Xbone at launch I could have easily waited to 2016 on that purchase and 2015 for PS4. Also when it comes to game pricing it is old news that the prices of games go down for anything Nintendo publishes. Nintendo games hold high value for years after their release and that is a good thing.

Azzurri

Eh, kida sorta

But one back in August bought and beat MK8 and W101, but have not touched it since October. But I don't think it's a WiiU, I just can't get into console gaming right now.

Yeah. Nintendo stuff really doesn't drop in price. They know how much to print and they sell solid amounts of it.

Take Wonderful 101. Official cut to $30 and you could get in for $16 new at one point. Now it's back up to $40 for retail because it's gotten more rare.

On the bright side for me at least I feel good buying stuff Day 1 because prices I know stuff won't git to $20 in a few months like most games. Also some stuff may increase, see Pikmin 3, Wii Sports U and Orcarina of time.

Kyuur

Nintendo software rarely goes down in price. If you're waiting for that you might as well sell/trade it in.

That being said, Bayo and Pikmin are worth full price (as are most Nintendo games). Smash Bros having bad controls is a new one too...

ViolentP

I don't regret it because I like having the ability to play any exclusive that may come down the road, but it is by far my least used console.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
It probably was not worth buying on launch day. But no, I don't regret it.

I am disappointed by the virtual console, though. A bigger catalogue, 60hz across the board, cross-buy with the 3DS from the start, and original retro controllers from Nintendo themselves would have made the console worth it on their own.

And I hate the GamePad, too. Cheap, too big, useless.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Not here. I enjoy the games I purchased on it, and the off-TV play. What I do regret was not going full digital from the start.

Alx

I don't even play it, but I'm glad I bought it. I know there are many great games I'll love playing on that console. I just lack the time to do it. :/

Guess this is the 'steam sale' generation hurting the value of games as a whole. This isn't anything new for Nintendo, and is talked about pretty often. Their games don't lower in value. You can however find deals, but you gotta be patient and look around.
The games are usually worth the price though. Especially the ones mentioned. ;)

Tain

It only takes a legit great game to make a console worth owning for me. Wii U has a pretty respectable selection of great games now.

Madds

I'm a little worried that Nintendo has announced their next console so early in the life of the WiiU, but its the console I use to play games with my kids, so I've gotten my money's worth. The lack of price drops in the games is a weird thing to be dissatisfied by.

Top Bottom