• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else regret buying a Wii u?

I haven't really been using it at all lately other than for a little Mario Kart or Smash, but I wouldn't say I regret it because I bought it to be a secondary console only for Nintendo stuff. Just waiting for Splatoon and Xenoblade, now.

Anyone else bought the system just to find out that the games don't even go down in price?
Bayonetta 2 is till over 55$ dollars,same with pikmin 3 & mario kart.

Even wii games still sell for really high prices, freaking LOZ SS is still selling for 59.99 in ebay or Amazon.

Most games mentioned don't show any signs of price cut :(

And I cant even get into the w101, and returned smash due to poor controls/online play.
And I now zelda wont even come out till 2016.

The times I use the wii u is to watch movies and quick Internet :)

Just wondering if anyone is in the same boat,and what is keeping you from selling it or trading it for credit or something.

What. So much wrong here.

Also this is the lamest reason to not like a system. You're basically complaining that the games are too good.

I have something to play on it about once every 4-6 months but when I am playing something its usually so good that any ill will I have toward the console evaporates.

Not at all. I've had my Wii U since launch and have loved the experiences found on the system.

I regret it for different reasons.
it had some nice games in 2014, but the future is pretty empty besides XBX and zelda u

What about Mario Maker, StarFox, Yarn Yoshi, Fire Emblem X Shin Megami Tensei? Not to mention the inevitability of a 3d Mario and Metroid still?

And I cant even get into the w101, and returned smash due to poor controls/online play.

Poor controls?

As for online play - use Wii LAN Adapter or play For Glory matches only.

And, yes, Nintendo games do not drop in the price for years. Sometimes they are even getting more expensive as thy tend to be rare or not easy to find (Xenoblade Chronicles, Pikmin 3).

butalala

I've had more local multiplayer fun with with more people with my Wii U than any system since the N64. God bless Nintendo Land, God bless Game & Wario, God bless Mario 3D World and God bless the Gamepad (even if it never really did deliver).

MajorTom

I did until I sold it for more than what I bought it for.
I don't like bayonetta or smash, Mario kart was too easy, wind walker is just wind waker, zombie was okay.
I think the games are too expensive for me to buy on a whim in case I don't like them.
If you like the Wii u that's great, it just wasn't for me. I'll stick to my PS4/XBO/PC.

Pat

I don't regret it since I got it cheap and I really liked MarioKart 8 but after playing DLC 2 a bit, I'll sell it.

Zelda isn't coming in 2015 and there's already a lot of dust on it.

I regret buying it a week or two after release. It's a decent system overall but I don't know it's very lackluster in terms of games for me. Captain toad was good and so was pikmin 3 though ultimately disappointing.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I have enough disposable income that I never really regret buying anything gaming-related. If I'm not using it for a while it can sit there until I use it again. This trading in or selling because you don't use something for a month is nutso to me. Especially when I hear about people who just sell/rebuy the same system multiple times. Nutso!

BlackJace

Launch day people would sympathize, but now seems like a fine time to invest at even the shallowest of levels. I got a BF bundle with 3D World, along with Smash for Xmas, and feel good about it.

Research things before buying them, I guess.

Ronin Ray

I bought a WII U and don't like platformers and don't really care about Zelda and only own Bayo 2 and Mario Kart 8 and the system is more then worth it. But this is on you Nintendo is like Disney there products keep there price. On the flip-side Nintendo games sale for more used.

Chastten

Banned
Nintendo game price policies haven't changed in nearly 2 decades, so no.

It's a shame, sure, but not unexpected. You pay for quality.

FaintDeftone

I love the Wii U, but I do not play it nearly as much as I do the PS4 or Xbox One. I keep it around for Nintendo games and that's about it.

Why should Bayonetta 2 be less than 55$ ?

It is one of the finest titles in the enrtire genre.....and it happens to come with the first one on a seperate disc.

I don't regret my WiiU at all. It has the best exclusives this gen so far and it will take the competition quite a bit to catch up (if they'll do it at all) imo.

Daingurse

My Wii-U is pretty much a Smash machine, and I don't even play it as much as I'd like. Don't regret it. Whenever I get to play lo-coal multiplayer with my brother it really makes it feel like it was worth it. I do need to play the damn thing more though, Christ.

Akzel

Yes I regret too. I bought it day one and I really don't like the console. Right now it's in my closet since 2 years+

I'll probably use it one day if I find something good for me. These days, I'm not that much excited for a Smash, Donkey Kong, Zelda, Mario than before. I just need to wait and see.

iKhayal18

Buying an Wii U is one of the few things on my life i'll never regret.

Couldn't agree more with that. It's one of the machines I have taken most profit of. Also, the ones I have bought more original/legal games for. I am truly satisfied and I have enough games for at least expending the whole year without buying anymore (even thought I am sure I won't be able to resist to Splatoon/Xenoblade/GH Live/Affordable Adventures).

Also, I bought Bayoneta 1+2 for 40€ and I couldn't been more happy with that. You can find it now easily for 35€. Games might be expensive if you don't look, but you can find a lot of games for less than 20€ (Rayman, Tekken, Watchdogs, Just Dance, Call Of Duty... most third party games).

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Nope.

It's the next Dreamcast, as far as I'm concerned. The library isn't massive but there's a large number of super high quality games. I feel like, when the system fades away, people will look back fondly on it. I suspect it'll become sought after a good 5-10 years down the road by people that missed out.

I'm enjoying the heck out of it.

wilflare

no regrets :)
and I'm glad the games hold their value - makes me happy pre-ordering them too!
and hey, the games are great and fun - well worth the asking price

JustinBB7

I kinda regret it yea. The games are great but the prices too high, I knew this already, but bought it anyway because I found a nice deal. Wii U Premium + Nintendoland, Mario Kart was only 45 euros for some reason and back then you got a free game you could pick with Mario Kart.

So I got 3 games for the price of 1 basically. But now the other ones just cost too much and it's kinda wasted. Waiting for Zelda and good sales basically (which won't happen).

Mesoian

Anyone else bought the system just to find out that the games don't even go down in price?
Bayonetta 2 is till over 55$ dollars,same with pikmin 3 & mario kart.

Even wii games still sell for really high prices, freaking LOZ SS is still selling for 59.99 in ebay or Amazon.

Most games mentioned don't show any signs of price cut :(

The times I use the wii u is to watch movies and quick Internet :)

Just wondering if anyone is in the same boat,and what is keeping you from selling it or trading it for credit or something.

Nope. Between Bayo1+2, W101, Pikmin 3, Mario 3D World, Hyrule Warriors, DK:TF, and Sm4sh, my initial investment of 170 dollars was well worth. The WiiU has 99 problems, but it's library ain't one.

Yes I regret too. I bought it day one and I really don't like the console. Right now it's in my closet since 2 years+
So, pretty much since release?

I'll probably use it one day if I find something good for me. These days, I'm not that much excited for a Smash, Donkey Kong, Zelda, Mario than before. I just need to wait and see.
You don't enjoy good games?

EDIT: Also, no OP, but I get where you're coming from. It just doesn't apply to me nor anyone I know with a Wii U.

low-G

Seeing as I foolishly almost always buy games at full price regardless, no, I have no problems with my Wii U purchase.

Guess this is the 'steam sale' generation hurting the value of games as a whole. This isn't anything new for Nintendo, and is talked about pretty often. Their games don't lower in value. You can however find deals, but you gotta be patient and look around.
The games are usually worth the price though. Especially the ones mentioned. ;)

Steam sale generation hurting gaming? Please, games having decent sales has been a standard of the industry for 20 years at least. It's just Nintendo refusing to play ball.

Maybe we should go back to the Mega Drive and SNES days of paying $150 for a game, now THOSE were the days before gaming was devalued!

I do agree on the second point though... just need to be patient and jump on any reasonable deal that arises.

Felensis

Banned
I'm in the same boat as you, OP. W101 didn't clicked for me. Finished Bayonetta 1, but only got a few hours in part 2. It's just not mine in terms of scenario, characters etc. SSB was my entry in the series and a major let down. SP is boring as fuck, local MP was to messy and complicated for my buddies and my two attempts to play online were unplayable due to major lag (my Internet connection wasn't the issue.

Pikmin 3 was awesome, SM3DW and MK8 as well.

Other than that my wii u is collecting dust. Only game I'm interested in is zelda and that just got delayed.

Last Christmas I've got a PS4 and there is nearly no day where it isn't running.

Only reasons for keeping my wii u are zelda and because all my games are digital ;(

I feel deeply embarrased about this statement of mine :(
Don't know what gave me these thrills that day, but I'm a Nintendo fan since my early childhood and even though they have it's flaws, I'm somehow addicted to Nintendo and this will last until I'm no more.

This monday I visited the Zelda concert and was absolutely thrilled. Emotionally it was kind of a rollercoaster since Zelda/Nintendo is in my life since 1990 (Game Boy) / 1992 (SNES, ALttP).

Therefore let me correct my statement, still feeling totally ashamed of it, that I do not regret buying a Wii U nor 3DS!

Fox Mulder

i bought it for their handful of amazing exclusives as a secondary console to my xb1. I already knew their games rarely drop in price, but i probably could have waited a few more years.

I also thoroughly hate the incompetence of NoA, i kind of regret giving those dipshits any money.

jgwhiteus

No, and I say this as someone whose Wii U mainly just sits on the shelf "gathering dust", as the saying goes.

The few games I have bought for it (SM3D World, Mario Kart 8, etc.) have all been quality.

There are still quality games coming out for it that I'm eagerly anticipating (Xenoblade X, Zelda).

I knew when I bought it that it'd be a long-term investment, and honestly knowing that Nintendo games usually DON'T drop in price actually justifies (in my mind) buying it sooner rather than later. If you know there are games you want to play, and they're going to be the same price a year from now as they are today, or will only go down by $10... then why not just buy them today, and get that enjoyment out of them early? You're not really saving much money by waiting a year.

El Sabroso

the thing let's you revamp the whole controller scheme and also is giving a new option in the new update, not to count it is compatible with a lot of controllers, I don't see the poor controls in this one

I have no regrets, from all the 3 newest consoles is the one I have more fun with, and have more games on it

Yea, I fell into the gaf hype late last year and it hasn't been worth it. I played bayo 1 and 2 and didn't care for them. Mario kart 8 was whatever as well. I played trauma team and while it was fun for a bit I tapered off towards the end. Didn't care care for xenoblade in the opening. I'm also not that big on Nintendo first party as well.

Right now it's been a waste of money that I shouldn't of spent till much later in the console life.

No, it is my most played console from this generation. It is hard to regret buying a console for me though, because even when I buy them somewhat on impulse I know I'll miss it as soon as I sell it.

driver116

Sort of. It's sat collecting dust (for about a year now) :(
Played 3D world, and New SMB, Revelations, Pikmin etc.
Waiting for Zelda I guess.

Nope.

I have an eight year old daughter and it has seen tonnes of play because of Nintendoland and...everything else.

Even without that...

Monster Hunter, Wonderful 101, Wind Waker Remake and Mario Kart 8...zero buyer's remorse.

Fantastic console.

...and you regret buying it because games aren't going on sale for it.

...jesus.

I'm kind of stuck on you returning Smash due to poor controls. Can you elaborate on that?

yes, I couldn't play it with the game pad it's kinda heavy, and there is no d pad function option,by now you would guess that I didn't want to buy a game cube adapter/online adapter, and a game cube controller.

And why do you think Bayonetta 2, Pimin 3 and Mario Kart 8 prices are still high? Because they're good !

Buy them, enjoy the fun and sell them if you want some money back. Maybe sell you Wii §u too but don't miss the games you seem wanting to play because the price are high (55$ is high in 2015.... smh).

It's weird since on the contrary, I'm more happy to see the price of a product I've bought not going down. Maybe you should look for the cool games in bargain bins :p

PS : W101 is not poor controls... I agree that it's not easy to master and Platinum seem to forget that not all the players are going to go through menus, tutorials and all the things in the game to practice and learn moves. Regarding Smash poor online what are you're talking about exactly?

Top Bottom