• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Does Sony Have For The Holidays?

Welfare

I didn't know that was the case (Halo 4 selling less then 3 overall).

Do we have LTD numbers for the Halo series and in particular, Halo 3 and 4?

On November 1, 2012, we learned that the Halo series sold 46 million units.

Back in 2012 before Halo 4 was released, we know Halo CE and 2 sold +6m and +8m respectively,, Halo 3 was +10 m, ODST at 5m, Wars was +2m, Reach at 7m, and Halo CEA +1.5m. Just taking the absolute minimum, these combine to 39.5m, so 6.5m sales are going to be spread between CE, 2, 3, Wars, and Reach.

Halo 4 in a single month adds 4 million sales to the total, bringing the Halo series to 50 million as of December 6, 2012.

All Halo games combined sold 60 million units as of October 20, 2014. So in 1 year and 10 months, an additional 10 million units of Halo games were sold. In that time the only Halo games that came out were Halo 4 GOTY edition and Spartan Assault.

I think the term AAA is a cancer to any sort of gaming conversation and needs to die

Instead of just being able to say yeah the Ps4 has a ton of games that look to be gearing toward being available during the holidays, we instead have to slice them all up into 10 different categories so someone can diminish what it is being talked about.

Persona 5? Nah not good enough because not AAA. ( how so? )
No Mans Sky? May be one of the most ambitious titles in existence but not AAA cuz indie team
The Tomorrow Children? Nah not good enough cuz it may be digital only
Rime? Not it has too much color and is made by indie team so not AAA and not good enough to pay attention to
Ratchet and Clank? Nah it's a reboot and won't sell 5 million so not good enough
Hot Shots Golf? May be popular and fun but nah not good enough not AAA

It's an utterly ridiculous term especially when it is used to seperate shit like a retail game vs a digital only game. Some in here want us to believe you can't have a high budget or high quality title with plenty of content as a digital only title.

truth411

I think the term AAA is a cancer to any sort of gaming conversation and needs to die

Instead of just being able to say yeah the Ps4 has a ton of games that look to be gearing toward being available during the holidays, we instead have to slice them all up into 10 different categories so someone can diminish what it is being talked about.

No Mans Sky? May be one of the most ambitious titles in existence but not AAA cuz indie team
Rime? Not it has too much color and is made by indie team so not AAA and not good enough to pay attention to
Ratchet and Clank? Nah it's a reboot and won't sell 5 million so not good enough

It's an utterly ridiculous term especially when it is used to seperate shit like a retail game vs a digital only game. Some in here want us to believe you can't have a high budget or high quality title with plenty of content as a digital only title.
Lol, yeah there is a lot of goal post moving in order to suit the narrative.

On November 1, 2012, we learned that the Halo series sold 46 million units.

Back in 2012 before Halo 4 was released, we know Halo CE and 2 sold +6m and +8m respectively,, Halo 3 was +10 m, ODST at 5m, Wars was +2m, Reach at 7m, and Halo CEA +1.5m. Just taking the absolute minimum, these combine to 39.5m, so 6.5m sales are going to be spread between CE, 2, 3, Wars, and Reach.

Halo 4 in a single month adds 4 million sales to the total, bringing the Halo series to 50 million as of December 6, 2012.

All Halo games combined sold 60 million units as of October 20, 2014. So in 1 year and 10 months, an additional 10 million units of Halo games were sold. In that time the only Halo games that came out were Halo 4 GOTY edition and Spartan Assault.

Fascinating. So 4's probably the best selling followed by 3. Thanks for bringing all that info together!

Jeels

I'm thinking we'll either see Quantic Dream's next game or The Last Guardian this holiday.

What speaks against QD game is that it has only been 2 years since Beyond, but on the other hand they seemed quite capable with the PS4 tech early on.

What speaks for The Last Guardian is that it seems like they'll wait until it's near completion before reintroducing it and that could potentially make the time between unveil and release shorter than normal. On the other hand Rime seems to also be close to completion and it seems like a bad idea to pit the two against each other. I also have a wild theory that TLG will be used to push Morpheus and if that's the case it's obviously not coming out until next year.

So September-December will probably look something like this:
September: Tearaway Unfolded
October: Ratchet & Clank, Until Dawn (Halloween), Rime
November: Quantic Dream, No Man's Sky
December: The Tomorrow Children

Both Tearaway and Until Dawn are scheduled for the summer.

Yup. It's okay for Microsoft to go 9 months without anything except Ori and Screamride, but Sony has a packed holiday with potentially Persona 5, DQ Heroes, The Tomorrow Children, No Man's Sky, R&C and Rime and suddenly digital only and niche titles don't count. It's utterly ridiculous. Sony has plenty of content for the end of the year, even if its not of the same magnitude as TR, Halo and yet another Forza.

yazanov

Banned
I never knew concerned trolling was even a thing up until I visited neogaf. :)

Every month so much concerned threads about PS4 even when its smashing the competition. Should concerned post be the other way around for the struggling consoles?

truth411

Yup. It's okay for Microsoft to go 9 months without anything except Ori and Screamride, but Sony has a packed holiday with potentially Persona 5, DQ Heroes, The Tomorrow Children, No Man's Sky, R&C and Rime and suddenly digital only and niche titles don't count. It's utterly ridiculous. Sony has plenty of content for the end of the year, even if its not of the same magnitude as TR, Halo and yet another Forza.
Plus the fact that E3, GamesCom and TGS haven't taken place yet where games are traditionally announced.

Nothing suggests that most of those late 10m sales came from Halo 4.

I mean, not all 10 million have to be from Halo 4. But don't you think, give that it's the most recent Halo game, it probably sold the vast majority of the 10 million? I thought that was a safe assumption but maybe not.

Chobel

I mean, not all 10 million have to be from Halo 4. But don't you think, give that it's the most recent Halo game, it probably sold the vast majority of the 10 million? I thought that was a safe assumption but maybe not.

Halo 4 was hated by Halo fans though, so it most likely had worse legs than the older Halo games.

In my opinion this topic should probably be locked and mods warn against similar topics until at least after E3, because none of us have any answers and it's going around in circles now.

I find it surprising and a little bit sad how some people only focus on mega-franchises that sell 7 million or 10 million copies for some reason. Heck, there was some guy on the Bloodborne sales topic the other day arguing that it wasn't a blockbuster and citing Halo 3 selling 3+ million on launch day as a better example. The same kind of people who dismiss indie games or smaller digital games because they don't suit the specific narrative they're trying to spin.

He is kinda correct.

The Order 1886(third person shooter)
Bloodborne(action rpg)
MLB:The show(sports game)
Tearaway:Unfolded(platformer)
Until Dawn(horror)
Disgeae 5(SRPG)
Persona 5(JRPG)
Dragonquest: Heroes(Musou)
FFXIV:Heavensward(MMORPG)
R&C(platformer)
GoW 3(action adventure)
Toukiden Kiwami(hunter)

That is just retail games not counting any of the fantastic indie/digital games.

None of this games screams great variation to me... Only game that is interesting to me is that Ratchet game. Besides that? lol

You see its a matter of taste...

None of this games screams great variation to me... Only game that is interesting to me is that Ratchet game. Besides that? lol

Umm what? It doesn't matter if the games appeal to you or not. The list almost has a game in every genre. Thats what variation is right?

Jeels

Liking the games listed is a matter of taste, but the variation there is a fact...particularly in comparison to its direct competition.

This is funny. The fact that there is a ton of different games is the variation.
And see, even for you there is something of interest.
If there are 100 different tastes of icecream in the shop and you only like chocolate, well, they still have 100 different tastes of icecream.

Hugstable

Banned

Whether the games have variation from each other isn't a matter of taste, and there is actually a decent range of genres though, so I don't see what you are getting at really.

In my opinion this topic should probably be locked and mods warn against similar topics until at least after E3, because none of us have any answers and it's going around in circles now.

I find it surprising and a little bit sad how some people only focus on mega-franchises that sell 7 million or 10 million copies for some reason. Heck, there was some guy on the Bloodborne sales topic the other day arguing that it wasn't a blockbuster and citing Halo 3 selling 3+ million on launch day as a better example. The same kind of people who dismiss indie games or smaller digital games because they don't suit the specific narrative they're trying to spin.

It's better just to ignore those posts, there's been tons of amazing indies these days that are even better than most AAA games coming out today. Axiom Verge is amazing, even more mindblowing that one person was able to create something of that quality.

No idea if it's the widespread view among mainstream gamers, but many on GAF see 4 as one of the weaker Halos as it 'modernized' itself by taking a lot of stuff from shooters like CoD as well as randomizing weapon placement and changing the feel of the game quite a bit.

Something wrong with what i said? "Hate" is maybe a strong word to describe it, but there's no denying that Halo 4 was not well received as much as the older Halo games.

The campaign was very highly regarded.
Generalizing all Halo fans as "hating" the game is wrong.

bombshell

What logic is this? lol

Let's hear your argument for why your favorite console, which is quite obvious from your post history and your profile, has better variety than that lineup.

BokehKing

Banned
If we are going to use the term AAA, I rather AA games that are not broken.

A lot of the AAA games were a mess last holidays (drive club /halo/assassin's creed)

mejin

Yep. This is an amazing year for ps4. Every month we have something to play and support is increasing day after day.

GeoramA

I never knew concerned trolling was even a thing up until I visited neogaf. :)

Every month so much concerned threads about PS4 even when its smashing the competition. Should concerned post be the other way around for the struggling consoles?
You know who isn't concerned? Sony. They have enough to make it through 2015 as the overall sales winner.

Oh, and guess what's coming early next year: Uncharted 4 and Project Morpheus. Now that's going to be interesting.

Hugstable

Banned
If we are going to use the term AAA, I rather AA games that are not broken.

A lot of the AAA games were a mess last holidays (drive club /halo/assassin's creed)

Is there even a set definition for AAA anymore, seems like it's always changing these days. Fuck the A's, just give me more games like Bloodborne, Axiom Verge, DS2, Revelations 2, Escape Goat 2. This last 2 months of gaming has been pretty awesome for my PS4, lately though been messing around a bit on my 3DS (Xenoblade) and my phone (I just discovered a shit ton of Dragon Quest games are on the play store, so I switched my BloodSouls binge to Dragon Quest now, already finished DQ3, and now playing DQ4 for the first time ever).

Speaking of Dragon Quest, I refuse to pick up DQ8 on mobile, I wonder what would be stopping them ever putting up a PS2 classics version of the game? I feel like Square doesn't care much about DQ in the west though :(

Apathy

jTlTFuq.jpg

Seriously, would love to hear what variation means to you

The thing is small digital titles generally are somewhat niche, offer little in terms of replay value and cant replace a AAA retail budget... They are also titles that rarely sell a system (since a lot of people are talking about sales). XB1 has only had smaller digital titles like Ori and screamride for the first few months this year and TBH it does feel a bit like a drought..

There is no goalpost moving... I think its a fair point... Sony does not have an uncharted or a God of war to match up with halo or tomb raider. The only thing that's really up for debate is whether R&C is still going to sell systems but if last fall is any indication Sony doesn't even need exclusives to sell its system. Plus in the fall season nobody should be worried about finding something to play.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I think that list has tons of variation.

The holidays i think means less for exclusives since the third parties will be all over those months anyway. They will sell out of consoles this winter whether they have exclusive games or not lined up.

What really matters i think is the rest of the year and if i'm being fed a balanced diet

W.S.

1. What I bolded is a contradiction, Since when is Ratchet n Clank not a AAA game. This is a complete reboot not a spin-off.
While I'm curious to see how this goes, I'm also a little confused as to why they're rebooting it after releasing a HD trilogy and running it into the ground with a bunch of sequels and spin offs.

Wouldn't there be fan burnout at this point?

That's not exactly correct either.

Shabad

The thing is small digital titles generally are somewhat niche, offer little in terms of replay value and cant replace a AAA retail budget... They are also titles that rarely sell a system (since a lot of people are talking about sales). XB1 has only had smaller digital titles like Ori and screamride for the first few months this year and TBH it does feel a bit like a drought..

Half of the title he listed aren't digital, and the rest certainly aren't "small". And all of those happen to have lot of content and replay value - bare Ratchet & Clank maybe which happen to be a so called AAA title !

Also, I think you would be surprised, but some people would buy a console to play Persona 5. No Man Sky wil potentially be huge. Ratchet & Clank is an AAA title, and one of the biggest Sony franchise. And so on and so on...

Those titles are great, and most of them could have a real impact on sales. Not that the PS4 need them to sale like crazy anyway though ^^

Hugstable

Banned

There's more to the game than just the multiplayer component. That's like saying if someone didn't enjoy TLoU multiplayer and stopped playing it, that the game is hated even if they loved the single player.

I never played Halo 4 so I couldn't really comment on it, but back when I played Halo 1 and 2, I dabled in the multi a bit, but it was the Single Player that I truly cared about and enjoyed. I feel there is usually more that buy a game for the single player campaign than the multi

I don't see that list showing a huge variation of games screaming variety to me either. Usually when I see all kinds of different games from different genres in a list, I usually think "Shit, there's just no variety!"

Welfare

There's more to the game than just the multiplayer component. That's like saying if someone didn't enjoy TLoU multiplayer and stopped playing it, that the game is hated even if they loved the single player.

I never played Halo 4 so I couldn't really comment on it, but back when I played Halo 1 and 2, I dabled in the multi a bit, but it was the Single Player that I truly cared about and enjoyed. I feel there is usually more that buy a game for the single player campaign than the multi

Halo's longevity is the multiplayer. The numbers 4 months after launch are the absolute worst any mainline Halo has ever had. No one besides a small portion of players were still playing the game after launch.

Top Bottom