• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will we ever see Marvel games with the quality of the Arkham games ?

J10

Banned
It's annoying that Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 is still $40 used at Gamestop. Shit is like 8 years old.

Neoxon

avengerslegocover.jpg
Basically Lego Marvel except with only the characters Marvel wants you to care about outside of the comics the MCU characters.

the fuck is up with that Hawkeye?
He's been remodeled to better reflect his MCU self.

It's annoying that Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 is still $40 used at Gamestop. Shit is like 8 years old.
To be fair, the game went out of print sometime ago & has since become relatively hard to come by.

mreddie

Basically Lego Marvel except with only the characters Marvel wants you to care about outside of the comics the MCU characters.

I'm sure we can play as others but I fear it's gonna be like Lego Batman 3 and only focus on 5-8 characters.

Neoxon

I'm sure we can play as others but I fear it's gonna be like Lego Batman 3 and only focus on 5-8 characters.
Most of the statements made about this game were mainly about the MCU, which means that the roster will most likely be limited to characters introduced into the MCU as of the end of Phase 2 (Ant-Man). We may get Phase 3 characters such as Doctor Strange, Black Panther, Captain Marvel, Black Bolt, Medusa, & Spider-Man if we're lucky. We may even get some TV characters like Quake & Mockingbird, but they're a bit more likely given that they were introduced within the Phase 2 time-frame.

Basically we'll only get Avengers 1 & 2 as playable scenarios, with the potential for side missions from other films (we'll most likely get other characters introduced before Phase 2 as unlockables).

mreddie

Most of the statements made about this game were mainly about the MCU, which means that the roster will most likely be limited to characters introduced into the MCU as of the end of Phase 2 (Ant-Man). We may get Phase 3 characters such as Doctor Strange, Black Panther, Captain Marvel, Black Bolt, Medusa, & Spider-Man if we're lucky. We may even get some TV characters like Quake & Mockingbird, but they're a bit more likely given that they were introduced within the Phase 2 time-frame.

Basically we'll only get Avengers 1 & 2 as playable scenarios, with the potential for side missions from other films (we'll most likely get other characters introduced before Phase 2 as unlockables).

Yeah, I hear rumors there's a season pass planned with characters from Ant-Man, Guardians and Agents.

Again, they could open the floodgates but I suspect a story mode with limited people to play as. Likely the Avengers Ultron roster which is almost 10 characters?

Neoxon

Yeah, I hear rumors there's a season pass planned with characters from Ant-Man, Guardians and Agents.

Again, they could open the floodgates but I suspect a story mode with limited people to play as. Likely the Avengers Ultron roster which is almost 10 characters?
What about Agent Carter. Peggy was in Cap 1 & will be in Age of Ultron, so she may be in the base game. But what about the rest.

Also, did those rumors say anything about Daisy or Bobbi?

mreddie

What about Agent Carter. Peggy was in Cap 1 & will be in Age of Ultron, so she may be in the base game. But what about the rest.

Also, did those rumors say anything about Daisy or Bobbi?

Again rumors so anything can happen. I suspect Carter would be playable but that's about it really.

Gartooth

I really doubt that. We've heard next to nothing about the game, and if it is anything like Lego Marvel Superheroes it will have movie callbacks, but won't be chained to them. That was a game that was made for any kind of Marvel fan, so I wouldn't be surprised to see Wonder Man or Wasp or Kang show up in the game.

PreFire

Open world superman prime game by rockstar would be awesome.

Deadpool by Rocksteady, rated M with tons of gore would be great too.

Neoxon

I really doubt that. We've heard next to nothing about the game, and if it is anything like Lego Marvel Superheroes it will have movie callbacks, but won't be chained to them. That was a game that was made for any kind of Marvel fan, so I wouldn't be surprised to see Wonder Man or Wasp or Kang show up in the game.
If we see Hope don her mom's Wasp costume in Ant-Man, then Wasp will likely be in the game regardless (& if the rumors have any weight, she'll be in a Season Pass). But yeah, most of the little advertising for the game so far is MCU-centric with no hints of anything outside of Phase 2. At least Lego Marvel showed off Wolverine, Spidey (who wasn't MCU-bound at the time), & Deadpool right from the start of promotion.

Open world superman prime game by rockstar would be awesome.

Deadpool by Rocksteady, rated M with tons of gore would be great too.
Again, given Marvel's recent treatment of X-Men & F4 characters outside of the comics (& even in the comics, the F4 have kinda been short-changed), I don't see us getting another Deadpool game in the foreseeable future.

rbenchley

Thor - FROM Software

If From were to work on a licensed game, that could be a great choice. I prefer the seamless world of Dark Souls to the hub of Demon's Souls, but the hub structure would work perfectly with Asgard as the center and you would travel from there to the other realms of the world tree. I bet they would do a kickass job on a Dr. Strange game as well.

mreddie

If we see Hope don her mom's Wasp costume in Ant-Man, then Wasp will likely be in the game regardless (& if the rumors have any weight, she'll be in a Season Pass). But yeah, most of the little advertising for the game so far is MCU-centric with no hints of anything outside of Phase 2. At least Lego Marvel showed off Wolverine, Spidey (who wasn't MCU-bound at the time), & Deadpool right from the start of promotion.

We could get She-Hulk, Captain Marvel, Miles and Kamala though. Hell, we might get Luke Cage and Jessica Jones. Also, Inhumans.

Gartooth

We could get She-Hulk, Captain Marvel, Miles and Kamala though. Hell, we might get Luke Cage and Jessica Jones. Also, Inhumans.

That was my line of thinking. I don't think we will get the universe wide character roster that Lego Marvel Superheroes had, but Avengers is still a big brand with a lot of characters and history to pull from.

They have Marvel VS Capcom though

;(

The Vs. series is too popular to die, Marvel or not. Hopefully it won't be too long after SFV. :)

Neoxon

Hire Capcom...or Arc Sys. Do an ALL MARVEL fighter. No vs. Go nuts.
Capcom did that already, it's called Marvel Super-Heroes. If you mean "Hey Marvel, call up Capcom & do Marvel Super-Heroes 2", then yeah, I'd be on-board for that.

Assuming they stay MCU-centric, I wouldn't pin your hopes on Jennifer, Miles, or Kamala at the moment. Though the only Netflix character who can make it within the Lego Avengers timeframe (Iron Man 1 to Ant-Man as far as release date goes) is Daredevil.

mreddie

Assuming they stay MCU-centric, I wouldn't pin your hopes on Jennifer, Miles, or Kamala at the moment. Though the only Netflix character who can make it within the Lego Avengers timeframe (Iron Man 1 to Ant-Man as far as release date goes) is Daredevil.

The cartoons aren't bound to the MCU, I can't see why the games have to.

I'd love a Marvel fighter that plays more like Street Fighter and less like MvC. I love Marvel characters, but I find the MvC series to be basically unplayable due to how chaotic they are.

Or get NetherRealm to do DC vs. Marvel for Injustice 2. That would be my dream fighting game.

How exactly does the publishing deal with work Activision anyways?

If it's a stand alone Spider-Man, X-Men or Wolverine game does it have to be published by Activision because of the deal?

Gartooth

I'm kind of against the license going back to Activision. I never particuarly enjoyed their output even though I have heard good things about Marvel Ultimate Alliance. That and I don't want all the characters locked up to one publisher since it could stop Marvel vs. Capcom or other good game ideas from happening at other studios.

I'd love a Marvel fighter that plays more like Street Fighter and less like MvC. I love Marvel characters, but I find the MvC series to be basically unplayable due to how chaotic they are.

Or get NetherRealm to do DC vs. Marvel for Injustice 2. That would be my dream fighting game.

My dream Marvel vs. DC game would basically be Eighting doing the art and character design with NetherRealm making the story mode. I also prefer the gameplay in Marvel vs. Capcom rather than Injustice, but I haven't played Mortal Kombat X yet to see if NetherRealm has improved.

Those claims have little to go off of and will probably be wrong. There have been tons of licensed Marvel games recently that have appearances from non-MCU characters.

Penguin

Since saw it mentioned once or twice in here, I'm fairly certain Netherrealms is owned by Warner (DC's parent company) and are probably happy making em work on in-house properties, rather than licensing Marvel from Disney

Though at the same time, they do publish the LEGO Marvel games so who knows!

Gartooth

Since saw it mentioned once or twice in here, I'm fairly certain Netherrealms is owned by Warner (DC's parent company) and are probably happy making em work on in-house properties, rather than licensing Marvel from Disney

Though at the same time, they do publish the LEGO Marvel games so who knows!

Marvel vs. DC coooooould happen, but I agree that a dedicated Marvel fighter would seem kind of odd when WB could have NetherRealm work on more DC or Mortal Kombat. I think the Lego games get away with it since they are churned out so quickly and a lot of the brand power comes from working with different licenses.

Neoxon

Because this game is being advertised as an MCU-centric game. Plus the cartoons are starting to be more restricted to the movie characters as well (though like you said, not completely at the moment).

How quickly the Marvel vs. Capcom series is forgotten.

Those don't feel like super-hero games at all.

What makes the Batman games good is that you don't fight Superman's enemies. That would be awful.

I don't dispute that those games are good or that they figure Marvel Super-Heroes, but it could have been The Smurfs vs. Capcom and be just as good. To me those are like a Marvel Monopoly game.

mreddie

Because this game is being advertised as an MCU-centric game. Plus the cartoons are starting to be more restricted to the movie characters as well (though like you said, not completely at the moment).

E3 will likely reveal what's gonna happen.

Mooreberg

Warner Bros owns the studios making a lot of the games based on their properties, so it allows a degree of quality control that you are never going to see from Disney. Disney has the money to buy good development teams, they just don't seem particularly invested in it. People keep mentioning LEGO Marvel, which was developed by a studio owned by Time Warner.

hatchx

Banned
Disney seems content to work mostly outside of the AAA space. So many Marvel mobile and f2p games. I know a guy who's poor af but managed to spend 10k on Marvel: Avengers Alliance.

Jesus.

Someone mentioned Spider man by Sucker Punch. That is a huge yes. Fuck Activision for ruining that game franchise.

Why do people keep hoping that Rocksteady would one day make a Marvel IP game? They are owned by Warner Brothers Interactive, a subsidiary of Times Warner, who own DC.

On topic, Iron Man by the team who made Warhawk or Ace Combat has potential. Spider-Man or Daredevil from Sucker Punch is a neat idea too. Maybe get Platinumgames behind Wolverine.

However, I only see Spider-Man a possibility from Sucker Punch if its an exclusive game. Which probably won't happen.

Best wishes.

Mooreberg

Jesus.

Someone mentioned Spider man by Sucker Punch. That is a huge yes. Fuck Activision for ruining that game franchise.
Does Activision just get to keep renewing the rights in perpetuity? They've had it since the PSOne days, all the while Sony has had the movie rights. They probably want to focus on fixing the movies first though. This consistency in quality that people keep talking about with Marvel movies doesn't actually exist.

Why do people keep hoping that Rocksteady would one day make a Marvel IP game? They are owned by Warner Brothers Interactive, a subsidiary of Times Warner, who own DC.

Traveler's Tales makes the lego stuff, also owned by WB, and they did Lego Marvel/Avengers.

I doubt they would spend 3 years with their premiere studio making a full marvel game, though. The lego stuff is relatively cheap/easy.

chixdiggit

Personally I thought the Deadpool game was really well done. Not Arkham standards but a damn fine tribute to the character.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I would love for the establishment of a proper video game universe for Marvel. I would play everything in it if it was as high quality as the films.

Top Bottom