• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How will Kingdom Hearts 3 be marketed considering most fans are in there 20s?

sn00zer

Been stewing on KH3 since that cancelled game was leaked a while back and have since been rewatching reaction vids and such. As Im watching these vids I notice almost everyone is in there early to mid 20s. If you look at the "fan event" they held last year, not a single kid in the crowd. Considering the series started in 2002, even 6-8 year olds who may have played it then are now in their 20s. This gap only widen when KH skipped the PS3/360 gen (well there was the 3DS game)

So how does Square/Disney market Kingdom Hearts 3? I imagine Frozen is going to be a big part of the marketing campaign to grab the kids, but what about people following the series for so long? Im curious how the actual game design will end up with such different audiences.

Basically, how do you market a game to target 10 and 20 year olds?

Corpekata

Banned
I don't think they've ever really marketed it that heavily at kids. Won't be changed too much, save for maybe including some more recent Disney movies.

The series has always been aimed more at the nostalgic rather than the young.

Pinewood

I am just playing KH1 and man this game is way too difficult for kids age 6-8. There is no need to market KH3 to that demographic because the game is obviously not for that demographic.

Dr. Buni

Why would they market the game to people who already like the series? They will market it for kids. Older fans are already hooked.

Heartfyre

Probably no differently than they marketed the ReMixes. They'll advertise it for the teen demographic as always and the adult fans will buy it regardless.

You have to remember that nearly all of the RPGs released during the SNES/PS1/2 eras were 12+/T games, and they still appealed to teens and adults alike. The approach worked for Kingdom Hearts back in the noughties, so why wouldn't it work now?

Pop

30 year olds still buy the lastest Pokemon games at release and that's marketed towards kids. Kingdom Hearts will be fine.

Oh and Star Wars, Disney Characters, Marvel etc..

lazygecko

Isn't this the same conundrum Final Fantasy fans faced, when they realise that the games were largely being made to cater to teenage demographics?

I....dammit....thats a good point

Does EA have exclusive rights to Star Wars games though?

Man I really hope the do a POTC-like level with realistic characters and cartoony Sora and not jut follow the animated series.

Disney also owns the marvel branding. wouldn't be surprised to see that used as well- keep in mind that pirates of the carribean made it's way into KH2, so this is probably happening in some form. Maybe the more kid friendly franchises like Big Hero Six if not the Avengers stuff specifically.

but regardless it doesn't matter. Disney's franchises have always been marketed towards "everyone." there are many fans MUCH older than 20 who bought the original games, and many of those have kids of their own now.

DKHF

I think they will market it mainly towards the younger demographic.

Most old fans won't need much convincing, they'll just need to be made aware that the game is coming out.

SinShep

One trailer made to focus on the game's narrative for the old fans, and another showing off the new Disney worlds for the new, younger fans.

They should market more heavily on the Disney side of it. They played up "Made by the creators of Final Fantasy" already which was fine then but it's probably not so much a selling point now and the Disney fan base is too large to ignore.

The same way Disney markets their products. I don't really see an issue here. There a very very universal appeal. Honestly it's a marketers wet dream. Marketing it to existing fans only would be so stupid though. And there are way more 30 plus kh fans then you imagine

BY2K

Membero Americo
I....dammit....thats a good point

Does EA have exclusive rights to Star Wars games though?

Man I really hope the do a POTC-like level with realistic characters and cartoony Sora and not jut follow the animated series.

That's a good question. EA has the rights to Star Wars games, but Star Wars is owned by Disney and Disney is part of KH...

I honestly have no idea.

I am just playing KH1 and man this game is way too difficult for kids age 6-8. There is no need to market KH3 to that demographic because the game is obviously not for that demographic.
There is an adjustable difficulty. A 3 year old could complete the game on beginner difficulty.

30 year olds still buy the lastest Pokemon games at release and that's marketed towards kids. Kingdom Hearts will be fine.

Oh and Star Wars, Disney Characters, Marvel etc..

Exactly this.

Grown ass people were actually crying when KH3 was announced. It'll be fine.

Portalbox

It's interesting to see how this does not only applies to Kingdom Hearts but to A LOT of old videogame franchises as well. Just look at Nintendo, of course it keeps grabbing new fans of the younger demographic here and there, but the main fanbase is in their 20s as well. Games are getting old. :c

Wouldnt older fans buy it cause... you know... its the third mainline game fans have been waiting years for?

Kids = disney.
kids/parents see disney on the box like hmmm that seems age appropriate/ nice

I dont see how or why they have to market any different than before. Its not like when the other games released it was only bought exclusively by adults or kids.

Edit: also this

Grown ass people were actually crying when KH3 was announced. It'll be fine.

Star Wars is something which has several segments.

There is defintely a kids-only segment for star wars, a familie oriented one, and then there is a teen and adult one.

sn00zer

It's interesting to see how this does not only applies to Kingdom Hearts but to A LOT of old videogame franchises as well. Just look at Nintendo, of course it keeps grabbing new fans of the younger demographic here and there, but the main fanbase is in their 20s as well. Games are getting old. :c

Yeah I realized I probably should have made this thread more generic

Jawmuncher

They'll need to put Frozen on the box (Front & Back), as well as having it in every trailer/commercial. We already know it's going to be in there.

Top Bottom