• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Competitive GAF, are you an above .500 gamer?

I'm less worried about it now than I used to be. Now I usually am just looking to kick back and relax when I play video games. I'm the a-hole driving the Warthog through the gravity lifts in Halo.

Mortal Kombat X seems to be the exception though. I get into the online matches; and if I lose, I'll always go back agaisnt the cpu and see if I can improve before I play online again.

Shadybiz

I am a pretty decent CoD player.
I am only okay in Battlefield..it's tough when you play that game by yourself.
I MAY be okay at Hearthstone..I just started playing, so time will tell.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
I'm quite average at fighting games.

I thought I was good at Dota 2. I feel I'm very good at Smite.

FPS games vary greatly.

I'm probably not that good at Mario Kart, but at least better than SomewhatGroovy's slow ass.

Im good at sports games.

ok player at certain fps and tps games.

And i really suck at fighting games like Mortal Kombat or Street Fighter lol

bobohoro

There might be some selection bias in your overconfidence study if you do that stuff on GAF.

But seriously, I'm probably beyond average on rhythm games, nothing else honestly until someone makes competitive JRPGs/VNs a thing.

OranSky

Banned
I love playing smash bros online and with my friends it's an awesome feeling to win and prove my skill after some smack talk...but Dear lord do I suck. Well I dont suck really but I consider myself to be a terrible player. I definitely know what I'm doing and am better then any casual player but I'm no where near good enough as I aspire to be. Last I checked im at a 43% win rate on 1v1 for glory (well it would be higher but if I run into a terribly laggy game I just down right SD and take the loss because I'm not dealing with an unstable connection).

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
iJPiEPpdXRKVy.gif

Burning Justice

the superior princess
In most games I play, I win more often than I lose, yes. But I'm better at some genres than others. Tend to be best at racing games, while stuff like shooters and fighting games don't come as naturally to me.

Mmm...
Depends..
I was a really hardcore wow raider in vanilla (i mean world first competition hard core..), but that was the past..
Nowdays i mostly raid with my italian mates and we get clears consistently, and my parse are usually in the 85-95 percentile, so i guess that i'm still not too shabby..

My fighting game level has instead dropped..
I mean i can play, but i play with mechanics and not with the character..
So i do terribly at combo oriented game or game where you can mashup and pressure continuosly, but i can still say a things or two in tekken, mk, etc..

Moba is a sad affair..
I'm not a team player at heart, so i cannot succeed here, though i like the genre..
I'm usually the guy you see dominating their opponent in early game, just to be useless in late game since i'm more of a line wolf going for the kill rather than the team fight...
I mean, after 8 hours telling others what to do, i cannot fathom myself doing the same during the game and i expect the others to be able to play safe, farm, follow and not overextending without oldme telling them what to do and what to avoid...
Unfortunately....

Revven

Back when I played UC2 MP religiously (like every night during high school lol) I think I averaged a .9 K/D but it's been forever since I looked at my stats for that game. For UC3 MP, that K/D went up significantly (something like a 1.6?) but that's obviously due to stuff like Kickbacks allowing you to get huge K/D ratios in a lot more matches than you could in UC2. On a good night I could attain like 15 kills and 3 deaths but a bad night could be the reverse of that with a 3 kills and like 8 or 10 deaths.

My main game I've always been good at is Smash, as far back as 64. I used to go to a few tournaments as well (the first year or so Brawl was out) and I usually placed within the top 10. There was one time where I got 17th or something but that, I think, was in the time where I was playing the game less in general. Oh and I should note these were locals but the turnouts were relatively high at the time since it was a new game (so something like 30-50 entrants). The first Brawl tournament I went to I got like 9th in singles and 2nd in doubles and GFs in doubles was vs a pretty notable player at the time.

Anyway, I'd consider myself above average in Smash for sure. My For Glory record hovers around 80% where the only notable losses I've received are from me having to SD due to an unplayable connection (literally 1 to 2 full seconds of input delay and/or constant lag pause) and from tactics that only work online. Other than that, it's consistently above 50% lol.

I'm also pretty good at Mario Kart (as MK-GAF can probably attest to lol) and Mario Party, while not a REAL competitive game (since it is partially luck-based) the mini-games do take some skill to be consistent at and the board games themselves require well thought out strategy to win against your friends.

The only other fighting game I got pretty decent at was Soul Calibur and it was mainly 2 and 5 (3 I'm meh at). I haven't played SCV in a looooong while though to say or remember what my record(s) online were.

That's it from me, basically.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
my win rate on psn vf5fs is >60% aw yeah

xbl is much lower as it's the account I cut my teeth on, I've been making up for those first few years :p

Killer

Banned
Once I stopped caring about my K/D in Halo, I had much more fun, was able to play different objective based games, and didn't get monumentally pissed off at the game/in general when other players defeated me or started trolling. Nowadays, I typically avoid competitive games, not because I feel inadequate, but more because I don't want to become addicted.

But, to answer your question, I'd fuckin rekk u at fifa

If you care about KDR in Halo, you are playing the game wrong. there are many things to do to help the team. Assist/Capture the flag/ hold the ball. I really hate when i get matched with players playing objective and all they care about is their KDR.

Haha nope, I suck at most games, but I love playing them, the weird exception was halo 4 which I got strangely good at on 360, but that changed as now I consistently get spanked in mcc.

prag16

Banned
With games I've poured a ton of time into, I'm well above .500.

With games that didn't click quite so much and/or didn't spend nearly as much time with, I'm around .500 or slightly below.

With SSB on Wii U, it REALLY didn't click, and I REALLY didn't spend much time with it... so for that particular case, I'm fucking terrible.

Ac30

I wish Bungie.net kept H3 stats, I was so proud of my perfections and 30-40 kills/match medals back in the day :( I think I had a 2.0 K/D in both Reach and H3 on ranked and unranked, Lone Wolves was the bomb.

I have no idea what the rank spread in CS:GO is but I'm Badge and matching against Eagles so here's hoping I rank up (Probably above .600 or so then?). Losing in CS:GO feels awful, but I never flame and I hate people who do. Who the fuck thinks that helps?

Nope. I tried getting into competitive Smash, but once I don't want to count frames and play by tier lists.

I'm great at Ruzzle on iOS though. Currently floating around a 2500 score, which is pretty good in that community.

Chemist

Neo Member
I used to be. I really try these days, I was pretty good and could compete at a pretty high level but that was in my early 20s. I'm in my early 30s now and I find it very difficult to be a .500 gamer Even though I play to win.

ItS such a shock that I can't quite seem to get there anymore and there has to be others like me. Time is also a huge factor. That and my ever shortening attention span. Aging sucks.

Trace

Banned
Depends on the game. The only game I play seriously is LoL at my winrate at that is maybe .550 or .600.

zlatko

Banned
I've never played anything that I'm not 50% + on.

I think my two most successful attempts as of late is Guilty Gear Xrd I'm at about 70% win/loss after close to a thousand matches.

MKX I'm doing quite well right now. Last I saw I had something like 145 wins, and 14 losses.

On the other hand I barely coast above 50% in say Street Fighter 4. :(

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I'm good at FPSs. Terrible at everything else, especially fighting games.

I can only dream of achieving .500, most of the time I am closer to 0.1 or less. I played Mortal Kombat X for a week and didn't win a single game online - to be fair, my online gaming strategy was just mash every single button while inching towards the opponent.

In Destiny, Titanfall, and BF4 some games I do pretty good, like a positive K/D, and in other games I just bust out the shotgun and go for CQ kills. It is pathetically bad sometimes, like under 0.05 K/D ratios. I don't care though, as long as I am having fun. Some of my funnest moments are in Battlefield 4, totally drunk, trying to kill people with my wall-e remote control robot.

I never understood why anyone cares, its just a video game who cares what my score or K/D ratio or anything is.

Lirrik

Yes, with the games I play on a regular basis.

When you start playing a competitive game for the first time, there is a learning curve though.

Only real game I struggle with winning is battlefield, even with 4 having shuffle, players still stack back after its happened

Can be in a server and lose 10 times in a row, awful :/

kirby_fox

Banned
I don't play online because I suck 99% of the time compared to the other players.

I've done well in Mario Kart 8 online (I lost DS all the time because it'd just be people snaking all the time). I've lost because of shitty lag in Smash online though, so I don't bother with it.

I've had a handful of people be better at me in Smash in real life, but I don't do competitions (I shied away from the serious side during Melee years, and gave a huge middle finger to that community because of the attitudes that came out of it.) Sadly, I think my age is affecting me because my hands can't move as fast as they used to with a controller and my eyes get blurry after a couple matches nowadays. The balancing of characters and customs also are really throwing me off how I play I found out recently.

Yuuichi

Only real game I struggle with winning is battlefield, even with 4 having shuffle, players still stack back after its happened

Can be in a server and lose 10 times in a row, awful :/

One of the things BF3&4 never really got the credit they deserved for is that they're both very much team games, and you really do need heavy teamwork to win. I have like a 45% WR or something because I only play alone.

Other than that, my winrate in things is usually around .55, it's about the same in League and CSGO, just a bit above average.

I feel like I had some ungodly winrate in BO2 on pc when that came out, courtesy of way too many hours in COD4 on pc. It was something like .65, some crazy number. 8th prestige+ in 189 hours, that kind of crazy.

Evilisk

Depends on the game but the general answer is no.

No because I suck at playing anything that's not a fighting game

No because my online sucks when it is a fighting game (well except Playstation All Stars, the netcode was really good to me and I won more than I lost)

Yes if it's a fighting game and it's offline (and when I can actually find people who want to play, which isn't usually the case unfortunately)

solomon

I guess I'm above average in smash, doing pretty good on the smash 4 ladder (for glory doesn't count). Games in general well honestly outside of fighting games, mario Kart and MH i'm sort of ass at everything else unless I have a good idea on the mechanics. Another example is I'm bad at just jumping into JRPG's/mmo's unless I pre plan builds, what are the good weapons etc, it's just something I've done since I was a kid.

Daouzin

I think anyone that spends any amount of time on one specific game will get good at it, but I never thought comparing myself to randoms mattered. I feel like players have to compete against real opponents in person or in some kind of seriously taken online league for it to even matter.

When I beat casuals at Smash I don't take any pride in it since they don't compete in tournaments.

Hip Hop

Starting in Black Ops 1, I got really good at COD. In the past I was really shit.

The ranking leaderboard put me in the 1 percent in the whole world for Free For All. Out of millions of players. It took your Score Per Minute, which is the most important thing in Free For All.

Really won like 8-9 times out of 10 most of the time.

Been fairly good at all Call of Duty games since.

0.8 - 0.9 KD in every CoD
.750 in FIFA

But I stopped caring about that stuff 2 years ago.
Seriously it makes my experience a lot better.

Jamix012

Only really in Smash 4 where I'm like a 0.78 or something. Oh I guess also Kid Icarus: Uprising I'm probably around the same as Smash and Pokemon I'm at least above a .5 so there's that. I'm bad at FPS', MOBAs and traditional fighters so when I play I end up pretty low.

Top Bottom