• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BLOODBORNE Update (1.03) available

Fitts

PIkprkZ.gif

Well, this update dropped sooner than expected. Can't wait to give it a go.

Apenheul

Like what? Is there something else that needs fixing?

What? This patch overdelivered as far as i'm concerned. I never expected them to significantly reduce the loadtimes in the first place.

This was what Sony said one month ago:

Sony said:
"The development team is currently exploring another patch for Bloodborne, seeking ways to improve load time duration, in addition to other performance optimisations and miscellaneous bug fixes,"

So loading-times are now about 30% better on average, that's good but still quite long. Meanwhile there's still the frame-pacing issue, I haven't seen it mentioned in the release-notes but I assume connecting online with a friend is still broken and I don't want to do the workaround that involves rebooting your PS4 and using party-chat to stand in the same square meter all the time (minor issue to me personally since I mostly play the game solo), and framerate seems to take a dive in Old Yarnam and it looks different to me than the frame-pacing 'bug'.

I appreciate the item descriptions but that never was a high-priority thing for me.

So hoo-doo, how exactly did this patch that took a whole month to be released overdeliver?

benzy

User you are replying to mentions about AUTO hiding of the HUD. Going to settings of the game every now and then doesn't makes sense. I'd also appreciate auto hud after not pressing any buttons and just cruising around the environment :)

They should just let us toggle on/off the HUD with a dedicated button, like L3. That way you can do it mid battle without going into the menus.

CatPee

That's...actually a bummer for me. I'd rather not have to start the game as offline to get suspend/resume and I hadn't run into any problems with it.

Were you aware that online play pretty much breaks if you use Suspend/Resume? Aside from that, going from menu to game is even faster than before, and save/quit is exact to your location, so it doesn't seem to be a big deal at all.

Hoo-doo

Banned

So loading-times are now about 30% better on average, that's good but still quite long. Meanwhile there's still the frame-pacing issue, I haven't seen it mentioned in the release-notes but I assume connecting online with a friend is still broken and I don't want to do the workaround that involves rebooting your PS4 and using party-chat to stand in the same square meter all the time (minor issue to me personally since I mostly play the game solo), and framerate seems to take a dive in Old Yarnam and it looks different to me than the frame-pacing 'bug'.

I appreciate the item descriptions but that never was a high-priority thing for me.

So hoo-doo, how exactly did this patch that took a whole month to be released overdeliver?

A 30% load time reduction is not significant? Is this bizarro world? I was expecting a 3-5 second improvement at best. The load times of Bloodborne are quicker than those found in Demon's Souls / Dark Souls 1, 2 right now.

And honestly, lengthy loadtimes were the only (minor) technical issue I ever had with the game. But that's just me.
Apparently they have fixed the issue of rest-mode interfering with matchmaking too.
The load screens are just a bonus. Never minded their absence.

So yeah, i'm pleased as punch.

I'll be honest, I don't even know what frame pacing is. Is it some sort of interpolation? I know I've ran into a few instances where I was stuck in the geometry in the woods, but other than that I haven't seen much else. Maybe the bouts of slowdown here and there.

test_account

XP-39C²
I did a loading test now. I tested everything in offline mode, although i dont think that make any difference. I started the stopwatch at the same time as i started to warping, and i tried to stop it as soon as the game showed up on screen. There might be a small delay like ~0.3 - ~0.5 second difference (for example, if i got 27.7 seconds, i might have rounded that up to 28 seconds or vice versa (25.5s might have been rounded down to 25s)). I also put the seconds difference in paranthesis under "1.03". I put spoilers since it mention many location later in the game.

Version 1.02
-------

Hunter's Dream -> Central Yharnam = 40s
Central Yharnam -> Hunter's Dream = 16s

Hunter's Dream -> Catherdral Ward = 45s
Catherdral Ward -> Hunter's Dream = 16s

___

Hunter's Dream -> Hemwick Chanel Lane = 30s
Hemwick Chanel Lane -> Hunter's Dream = 16s

Hunter's Dream -> Byrgenwerth = 28s
Byrgenwerth -> Hunter's Dream = 16s

___

Hunter's Dream -> Yahar'Gul, Unseen Village = 30s
Yahar'Gul, Unseen Village -> Hunter's Dream = 16s

Hunter's Dream -> Forsaken Castle Cainhurst = 21s
Forsaken Castle Cainhurst -> Hunter's Dream = 16s

___

Hunter's Dream - > Nightmare Frontier = 27s
Nightmare Frontier -> Hunter's Dream = 16s

Hunter's Dream - > Nightmare of Mensis = 28s
Nightmare of Mensis -> Hunter's Dream = 16s

(bonus = Standing close to Forbidden Grave and load from the main menu = 16s)

Version 1.03
-------

Hunter's Dream -> Central Yharnam = 36s (-4s)
Central Yharnam -> Hunter's Dream = 15s (-1s)

Hunter's Dream -> Catherdral Ward = 40s (-5s)
Catherdral Ward -> Hunter's Dream = 15s (-1s)

___

Hunter's Dream -> Hemwick Chanel Lane = 26s (-4s)
Hemwick Chanel Lane -> Hunter's Dream = 15s (-1s)

Hunter's Dream -> Byrgenwerth = 24s (-4s)
Byrgenwerth -> Hunter's Dream = 15s (-1s)

___

Hunter's Dream -> Yahar'Gul, Unseen Village = 28s (-2s)
Yahar'Gul, Unseen Village -> Hunter's Dream = 15s (-1s)

Hunter's Dream -> Forsaken Castle Cainhurst = 18s (-3s)
Forsaken Castle Cainhurst -> Hunter's Dream = 15s (-1s)

___

Hunter's Dream - > Nightmare Frontier = 23s (-4s)
Nightmare Frontier -> Hunter's Dream = 15s (-1s)

Hunter's Dream - > Nightmare of Mensis = 24s (-4s)
Nightmare of Mensis -> Hunter's Dream = 15s (-1s)

(bonus = Standing close to Forbidden Grave and load from the main menu = 14s)

I did a loading test now. I tested everything in offline mode, although i dont think that make any difference. I started the stopwatch at the same time as i started to warping, and i tried to stop it as soon as the game showed up on screen. There might be a small delay like ~0.3 - ~0.5 second difference (for example, if i got 27.7 seconds, i might have rounded that up to 28 seconds or vice versa (25.5s might have been rounded down to 25s)). I also put the seconds difference in paranthesis under "1.03". I put spoilers since it mention many location later in the game.

Version 1.02
-------

Hunter's Dream -> Central Yharnam = 40s
Central Yharnam -> Hunter's Dream = 16s

Hunter's Dream -> Catherdral Ward = 45s
Catherdral Ward -> Hunter's Dream = 16s

___

Hunter's Dream -> Hemwick Chanel Lane = 30s
Hemwick Chanel Lane -> Hunter's Dream = 16s

Hunter's Dream -> Byrgenwerth = 28s
Byrgenwerth -> Hunter's Dream = 16s

___

Hunter's Dream -> Yahar'Gul, Unseen Village = 30s
Yahar'Gul, Unseen Village -> Hunter's Dream = 16s

Hunter's Dream -> Forsaken Castle Cainhurst = 21s
Forsaken Castle Cainhurst -> Hunter's Dream = 16s

___

Hunter's Dream - > Nightmare Frontier = 27s
Nightmare Frontier -> Hunter's Dream = 16s

Hunter's Dream - > Nightmare of Mensis = 28s
Nightmare of Mensis -> Hunter's Dream = 16s

(bonus = Standing close to Forbidden Grave and load from the main menu = 16s)

Version 1.03
-------

Hunter's Dream -> Central Yharnam = 36s (-4s)
Central Yharnam -> Hunter's Dream = 15s (-1s)

Hunter's Dream -> Catherdral Ward = 40s (-5s)
Catherdral Ward -> Hunter's Dream = 15s (-1s)

___

Hunter's Dream -> Hemwick Chanel Lane = 26s (-4s)
Hemwick Chanel Lane -> Hunter's Dream = 15s (-1s)

Hunter's Dream -> Byrgenwerth = 24s (-4s)
Byrgenwerth -> Hunter's Dream = 15s (-1s)

___

Hunter's Dream -> Yahar'Gul, Unseen Village = 28s (-2s)
Yahar'Gul, Unseen Village -> Hunter's Dream = 15s (-1s)

Hunter's Dream -> Forsaken Castle Cainhurst = 18s (-3s)
Forsaken Castle Cainhurst -> Hunter's Dream = 15s (-1s)

___

Hunter's Dream - > Nightmare Frontier = 23s (-4s)
Nightmare Frontier -> Hunter's Dream = 15s (-1s)

Hunter's Dream - > Nightmare of Mensis = 24s (-4s)
Nightmare of Mensis -> Hunter's Dream = 15s (-1s)

(bonus = Standing close to Forbidden Grave and load from the main menu = 14s)

Those are quite long. Perhaps try rebuilding database on the PS4 and deleting/reinstalling the Bloodborne updates? I'm getting much better load times on 1.03 and had better times on 1.02 than what you posted (10-11 seconds returning to Hunter's Dream, for example). Going to Cathedral Ward is around 24-25 seconds for me on 1.03 compared to your 40 seconds. I'm on the default hard drive.

test_account

XP-39C²
Those are quite long. Perhaps try rebuilding database on the PS4 and deleting/reinstalling the Bloodborne updates? I'm getting much better load times on 1.03 and had better times on 1.02 than what you posted (10-11 seconds returning to Hunter's Dream, for example). Going to Cathedral Ward is around 24-25 seconds for me on 1.03 compared to your 40 seconds. I'm on the default hard drive.
Thanks for the tip. I'm rebuilding the database right now. I will test again after that and report with the result :) I also have the defaul harddrive.

I think you might want to have a look at your ps4, those are some very unusual load times and nothing like what mine are.... i'm offline also, maybe rebuild your database

Hoo-doo

Banned
Thanks for the tip. I'm rebuilding the database right now. I will test again after that and report with the result :)

Also, maybe time just the duration of the actual loading screen. Because the actual sitting-down animation and stand-up fade-in animation isn't strictly loading.

zoobzone

Just updated the game to test the new patch, improvement in loading time is definitely good.

I went back to Old Yarnam to test the frame rate and I can say theres still minor stutters caused by frame pacing but the overall performance feels much better than before.

That's...actually a bummer for me. I'd rather not have to start the game as offline to get suspend/resume and I hadn't run into any problems with it.

I'm a bit annoyed by this as well.

Never had an issue using suspend resume whilst in online mode.

Might just start playing in offline mode, I would rather jump straight back in to the game than have to load from the menu each time.

test_account

XP-39C²
I think you might want to have a look at your ps4, those are some very unusual load times and nothing like what mine are.... i'm offline also, maybe rebuild your database
I just rebuilt the database, but i cant see any significant improvements :\ I loaded Cathedral Ward now, and got like 39s instead for 40 seconds like i did before. Going back to Hunter's Dream is also about 15 seconds. This includes a 2-3 second loading animation though, since i started timing it as soon as i click on the location i want to go to. Maybe i can try download the patch again as suggested earlier.

Also, maybe time just the duration of the actual loading screen. Because the actual sitting-down animation and stand-up fade-in animation isn't strictly loading.
Yeah, that is true, but i did the same condition in both test so the difference would be the same as the animation time seems static (as in, it takes like 2-3 seconds every time, it doesnt variate from time to time).

#miller

Now I won't have enough time to read the item descriptions in the loading screen. :(
Can they make them a bit longer again? - just kidding. Great news. <3

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
Some balance changes

Cannon: consumes 12 QS instead of 10

Old Hunter Bone: consumes 5 QS instead of 6

Choir Bell: requires 15 arcane instead of 20, 8 QS instead of 10.

I just rebuilt the database, but i cant see any significant improvements :\ I loaded Cathedral Ward now, and got like 39s instead for 40 seconds like i did before. Going back to Hunter's Dream is also about 15 seconds. This includes a 2-3 second loading animation though, since i started timing it as soon as i click on the location i want to go to. Maybe i can try download the patch again as suggested earlier.

quick test of mine (1.03):

Cathedral Ward -> Hunters Dream: ~10 seconds
Hunters Dream -> Cathedral Ward: ~30 seconds
Dying at Cathedral Ward: ~15 seconds

valkyre

Can someone explain to me why such small fixes require such large amount of data? I love that the loading times are improve and other bugs are fixed, but 2.7 GB for these things?

It is such a huge amount of data, that I simply want to understand why it has to be that big.

sappyday

Some balance changes

Cannon: consumes 12 QS instead of 10

Old Hunter Bone: consumes 5 QS instead of 6

Choir Bell: requires 15 arcane instead of 20, 8 QS instead of 10.

The cannon already took so much now I'm not even tempted to use it anymore.

test_account

XP-39C²
quick test of mine (1.03):

Cathedral Ward -> Hunters Dream: ~10 seconds
Hunters Dream -> Cathedral Ward: ~30 seconds
Dying at Cathedral Ward: ~15 seconds
Does that include the animation before the loading starts? If i drop that out, i get about the same time as these, although maybe closer to 35 seconds to loading Catherdral Ward. Dying there gives me about 15 seconds of loading though, that is a pretty good improvement. I think it was like 30-40 seconds before for me.

Can someone explain to me why such small fixes require such large amount of data? I love that the loading times are improve and other bugs are fixed, but 2.7 GB for these things?

It is such a huge amount of data, that I simply want to understand why it has to be that big.

It's not 2.7GB. That's the total amount the patch will be from the previous patches.

Does that include the animation before the loading starts? If i drop that out, i get about the same time as these, although maybe closer to 35 seconds to loading Catherdral Ward. Dying there gives me about 15 seconds of loading though, that is a pretty good improvement. I think it was like 30-40 seconds before for me.

Just the loading screen.

test_account

XP-39C²

It should include the fix done in the previous patches as well. If you already have patch 1.02 installed, you only need to download like 250-300MB or something.

Just the loading screen.
Ok, i see. Then i have about the same loading times :)

neoism

Main points of UPDATE 1.03
- Reduced loading times (approx. 5-15 seconds; may vary by circumstance)
- Fixed bug that left certain lifts and elevators inoperable
- Fixed bug that resulted in bosses becoming immobilized
- Fixed bug that left players unable to advance NPC events during multi-play
- When the PS4 is put into Rest Mode during online play, the game will now return to the main title screen upon resuming play
This will resolve matchmaking issues related to Suspend/Resume.
- Other various bug fixes

We will continue to make improvements to better the play experience.

Link

Update 1:

X2VPwjn.gif
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu yyyyyeeess finally

RedAssedApe

Banned

this is actually no different than if you lost internet connection while playing or the servers went down. you get dropped to the title screen. you can still play offline and start right where you left off. this doesn't break suspend/resume. it fixes whatever bug was happening in multiplayer

Kiyo

That was patched immediately in a minor patch.

You're thinking of the duplication glitch I believe. The infinite blood echo glitch involved killing wolves in cages. I'll go test this in a couple of hours if no one else has yet, but judging by speed runners on twitch doing "glitchless" runs now, I'd assume it's been patched. Although, I guess they didn't really use it anyway.

Nice to see that they shortened the load times.

I was never a fan of the item description loading screens in Dark Souls. I thought they were ugly, and I preferred to find that information throughout playing the game normally instead. I much preferred the great character art that we got in Demon's Souls. The item description seemed to me to be a lay replacement.

I actually liked the Bloodborne logo loading screens. I thought they looked nice. Much nicer than the new item description loading screens.

Everything else about the patch is nice though.

Top Bottom