• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyrim Workshop Now Supports Paid Mods

Status
Not open for further replies.
These mods are just a bunch of Skyrim .esm scripts and some custom made textures/assets that I may or may not have the the rights to use in any product but Skyrim; mods don't seem like proper licensed products or IPs--they barely work other mods to begin with.

It just strikes me as a dumb product to sell. If these modders want to sell textures and scripts, do it in some other marketplace or get hired as part-time video game developers (programmers and designers); I understand that they are making Skyrim mods specifically because of how popular and moddable that game is--justifies Bethesda having a resonable share in this whole deal.

You'd have to look up what rights are conferred by bethesda regarding mods and mod creation. But I am pretty sure they are properly licensed products when they conform with the standards set by bethesda.

It does take a certain amount of nuanced factual information to give a more detailed response. Content made with their content producing software would likely have different rights than content made without.

Durante

tbh yeah I do, but then again maybe DSFix has a ridiculously high number of downloads?
The single most popular version alone has over 550k downloads, the number of downloads across all versions is over 3 million.

And those are the downloads I know of, I don't track all the rehosting that happens.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
I think they should only implement it for a select few mods, the rest get a prominent optional donate button. Stuff like Nehrim and its sequel that were developed by a large team of people should be paid and given more visibility.

i would be for this kind of set-up absolutely. i would prefer that the developer get involved in determining which ones get up for sale especially if they are going to be taking a cut. Donate options should go with a high percentage of the donation going to the modder. Pay items should also have donation options for those that have purchased.

cripterion

guys it's not like this worked for TF2 / Dota and actually bloomed that market and the amount of great content for those games and every content creator out there praised Valve by making that system and putting money in creator's hands

it all failed and it was terrible

I agree with you and you can even add Planestside 2 content to the list but at the same time Skyrim mods is in a whole different ballpark than skins and hats... so I would definitely take a wait & see before calling this a success.

I could see myself paying for this http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/19733/?
but all this time it's been free, of course it's going to rile up some people when suddenly they have to pay for it.

bounchfx

How?

This system isn't set up for massive collab projects that would be required for anything substantial. 5-10 people taking a cut of the 25% makes the incentive to make a large, impressive mod for money not really that present. The ROI isn't going to be there on huge mods. This is also ignoring that many people won't want to invest in a large mod that might break their game but they wouldn't know it until past the 24 hour mark. And the difficulties if one person in a team of 20 is opposed to selling the mod. All they have to do is not check the revenue split and the work of the entire team will go unpaid. People aren't going to devote resources with uncertainty like that.

You're going to find more mods that are cheap to immediately consume. Consumers will want mods that can easily and safely be tested well within 24 hours. Mod makers will want as few hands in the pie as possible to maximize profit. Collaboration will suffer. People won't want to share code and resources as much as it directly hurts them to do so. You'll have to be extra careful of theft.

You'll get mostly flaming swords and boob armor that advertises itself well and are easy sells and easy purchases for people. They can be tested in 5 minutes, are easy to get the scope of the entire mod from just screenshots, and will be impulse priced. And huge mods will continue to be infrequent releases due to the scope of the project and the number of individuals needed.

You of all people should see how this could happen, just look at the Dota 2 workshop where people continuously try to one up each other with particles and flashy effects, tie their hats to some other already established brand, and a recent trend that disappoints me, removing clothes from heroes that they have no business removing clothes from. A simple, well designed set barely has a chance anymore when you have boob Luna and crazy fire works and explosions on random B level tournaments. One off items are all but totally dead. The same heroes get similar sets every month for half a year, while heroes with barely anything get entirely ignored because they aren't popular enough and don't sell well enough.

you make really excellent points, I love reading this stuff. Thank you for taking the time to write it.

- the massive projects would absolutely have to sell like gangbusters if there were 5+ people working on them, depending on things like cost, and how much people are willing to pay for it. Right now, there is no data on what people are willing to spend mod-wise, and what the rate of return will be/how many consumers buy in. That's part of why theyre doing this. Also, it's shit to say, but honestly even at 25% it's more than they'd be making otherwise. Again, giving the mod author(s) the CHOICE (KEY WORD) to put things up as pay is the most important thing. Otherwise, it's no different than how it's been. It's questionable how well this will work on a game as old as Skyrim but I really feel this is a testbed/bug fixing thing for future TES games or steam games in general. tbh Skyrim was probably the most challenging title that could have been selected to implement this with, so hopefully they learn a lot from it. It's really difficult to see everyone acting like it's doomsday and that it's too late to change it back, rip, etc, and I understand it to an extent - I'm very cynical about games/dlc/f2p as well, but I honestly do trust Valve/gabe's vision when it comes to this stuff, and I can totally see the positive application going forward. But trying it with Skyim with all it's complexities is as close to a deathwish as you can get. I'm really interested to see how they respond. It will say a ton about the company, and maybe I'll change my mind based on their actions going forward.

- I can definitely see some potential issue with collaboration. but, it's really difficult reading all these stories about how everyone's favorite mod makers do it all for free because they love it, and love working together, and then read a second later about how this will all tear them apart ? it seems rather counterintuitive. If these same people are participating and don't care about profit as many are adament to claim, then surely they will leave it as $0+ pay what you want model. If they don't want to, it's their choice. And yeah, I am aware that this will bring in many people that haven't done mods before. That is also part of the goal. Some will be money grubbing ass holes, putting out crap after crap to make a buck. Downvote them if you don't like them. It will also bring in people that care and want to do their best as well, I'm sure.

- There will be more mods to immediately consume. Yes. I don't think it's an issue. Player feedback/reviews will be very useful for helping sort through whats good or bad.

I think a lot of your points are well put and sound, but unfortunately a lot of this stuff will take time to really see the affects of. I don't know what will happen. I am making assumptions as well based on prior experience, but I am trying to be realistic and level headed about it. Who knows, we might wind up seeing something that no one expects.
All bethesda employees quit and make paid mod dlc

for the dota stuff, that's kind of on valve to be honest. They are the curators and ultimately they decide what goes in, and they should be better about it in that respect, for sure. I am disappointed with some of their choices, but not surprised. However it is up to them in that case, and all I can do is try my best. It's part of the deal, and I've agreed to it. My other option is going back to a full time studio job which I'm not interested in, so I take the risk. I feel that if other mod makers are given the opportunity they might choose the same, even with the not-so-appealing cut (that I mostly see non-creators slamming).

sorry for the wall of text! I love discussing this stuff.

lazygecko

True, but bad mods will get bad ratings. It'll also plummet that modder's reputation if the mod doesn't work. I think a little bit of caution in what you buy is necessary always, but perhaps a little bit more with mods.

Free mod authors already have to deal with a ton of people throwing temper tantrums and blaming their mod for breaking the user's game/save, when very often this isn't warranted and could have happened for any number of reasons due to the complex, modular nature of stacking Skyrim mods, so either the user doesn't really know what they're doing and/or the problem is something completely beyond the mod author's control. Add paying for a mod into the equation and this is going to get a lot worse.

Aselith

https://twitter.com/garrynewman/status/591667165335560193

oh Garry

Facepunch took it pretty well, not gonna check reddit though lol

I like how runescape is both for and against paid mods. First it's "taking something that has been free for years and years and making it a "premium" service isn't cool." then it's "I'm all for modders making money from their work. But a measly 25%? I'd be more inclined to pay if it was donation and they got 100%"

Herp da derp

Go for anything you can outrage on I guess

undersakura

Neo Member
if modders sold their content without bethesda's consent there would be no income because Beth will lawyer up. it's a shakedown. those huge walls of text you agree to before you play have to mean something right?

edit: i think there's something important about what you actually own when you buy a game. we just buy the right to play it most of the time.

Renekton

By far my strongest lasting negative impression of this is of the users of mods, not their creators. What I've seen from them is far more "toxic" than anything any modder has done.

I've never believed in gamer entitlement until this blew up.
Now I'm curious, have people given you shit for DSfix before?

Aselith

if modders sold their content without bethesda's consent there would be no income because Beth will lawyer up. it's a shakedown. those huge walls of text you agree to before you play have to mean something right?

edit: i think there's something important about what you actually own when you buy a game. we just buy the right to play it most of the time.

A shakedown where they give you money for something you were already making for free.

You'd have to look up what rights are conferred by bethesda regarding mods and mod creation. But I am pretty sure they are properly licensed products when they conform with the standards set by bethesda.

It does take a certain amount of nuanced factual information to give a more detailed response. Content made with their content producing software would likely have different rights than content made without.

I meant the custom assets and textures; they are part of the mod that you pay for. Can you use them in any other game or any other Skyrim mod (without distributing the mod of course)?

Jimrpg

You know the shitty thing is that valve knows that modders can't negotiate over the 25%. The only way modders can do it is if they all decide not to put anything up on steam but that of course means it's a huge opportunity for anybody who does decide to put something up.

BUT somebody could and should take the opportunity to provide a service for mods but offer a better rate (50/50?).

This is basically a big corporation screwing over the little guy.

eot

Banned
You know the shitty thing is that valve knows that modders can't negotiate over the 25%. The only way modders can do it is if they all decide not to put anything up on steam but that of course means it's a huge opportunity for anybody who does decide to put something up.

BUT somebody could and should take the opportunity to provide a service for mods but offer a better rate (50/50?).

It's a lot of things, but it's not that. Being given an opportunity is not being screwed, you can take it or leave it.

Aselith

If Bethesda wanted 50% that's not going to change for another service that will have less leverage than the largest PC game platform. So that'd mean this new service works for free. How likely does that sound?

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

The big corporation provided the system for the modders to mod in, a base for them to work with and more importantly the customer base for them to sell to.

I don't think 25% is right either but u don't really agree with the term of screwing them over. Screwing over the little guy would be more like preventing to mod in the first place which hopefully won't happen.

Dawg

The single most popular version alone has over 550k downloads, the number of downloads across all versions is over 3 million.

And those are the downloads I know of, I don't track all the rehosting that happens.

Do you agree the number of downloads would be much lower if it was a paid fix? I've never really considered DSfix to be a "real mod" anyway. I see it as a day one patch. Something FROM SOFTWARE themselves should have fixed, but they didn't. I wouldn't have paid for it. I mean, it adds no content. It just fixes something. In this case, I'd prefer a donate option to making the fix itself paid.

I do think you should have been rewarded by the company for making it, though.

Aselith

Do you agree the number of downloads would be much lower if it was a paid fix? I've never really considered DSfix to be a "real mod" anyway. I see it as a day one patch. Something FROM SOFTWARE themselves should have fixed, but they didn't. I wouldn't have paid for it. I mean, it adds no content. It just fixes something. In this case, I'd prefer a donate option to making the fix itself paid.

I do think you should have been rewarded by the company for making it, though.

There was a donate option. Did you donate?

Bogey

Banned
That situation is just messed up beyond repair. So many problems with this...

1. It encourages developers and publishers even more to be lazy and deliver unfinished games. Why would you even put manpower into devleoping a proper PC UI, when you can just have modders fix it and earn a nice extra buck with it?

2. The mod community lives and dies with sharing knowledge (and even assets). How many of the big mods do you think would exist if there had been zero collaboration in the community?
How many of their developers have never participated in community discussions on how to fix certain issues, have never used anyone's assets, scrips, ideas or modding tools?
They make full use of available community resources, but then aren't willing anymore to share their own results.

3. Money is a strong motivator. If you're modding for intrinsic purpose only, you're pretty much free to develop whatever you like and want to see in the game.
But if they're holding the financial carrot up in front of your face, you'll have a strong incentive to develop whatever sells well instead. Who cares about modding some cool niche feature, when instead you can just model some shiny horse armor that sells 5x better.
Many modders will start developing on similar economic principles that publishers already do. The same principles that have driven so many fans into the modding community originally, because they simply didn't enjoy games maximized for profits anymore.

4. Greed is certainly not a positive attribute - yet every single one of us is greedy. It's not always good to encourage this. Who'd seriously refuse, say, being gifted a million bucks if it meant cutting down one tree in the rainforest? Two trees? Three trees? ..
You may just be the most idealist modder ever, but when Valve and Bethesda approach you and tell you stories of how you'll be driving home your Porsche soon, its hard to turn this down.
Just look at all the big mods, who have started and been continuosly developed for free for years. Every developer could have easily chosen to remove them from nexus, and upload them onto a custom paid website. None did.
Now look at how many modders have refused Valve's offer. Do you actually know anyone? I'd love to be corrected, but I haven't heard of a single modder who was approached, but refused.

5. It'll poison the community. Stealing assets etc. has already happened. Fights on who should get what share of the pies are almost inevitable, when resources are shared.
And of course the community itself will get a lot more toxic. When I'm downloading some mod, and don't like it - whatever. I know somebody put his efforts into that thing, and I'll congratulate them for their efforts anyway, maybe even try helping with constructive suggestions.
But if I pay 10 bucks for something, and it then turns out to be utter garbage - I'll be absolutely pissed, because now I feel I have a right to get propert content. Now if there's a bunch of pissed paying customers, combined with the semi-anonymity of the internet, we all know what's going to happen; the only one benefiting from that will be the local torch and pitchfork shops.

mbmonk

By far my strongest lasting negative impression of this is of the users of mods, not their creators. What I've seen from them is far more "toxic" than anything any modder has done.

I've never believed in gamer entitlement until this blew up.

My lasting impression is the either intentional or oblivious way that Valve, Bethesda, and modders treated their 'customers' and have tried every way possible not to acknowledge that the customer is getting the shaft in the short term.

This was a piss poor implementation of the idea, and reminds me of the 'new Coke' debacle as one of the most poorly executed initiatives I have personally witness in a long time.

Valve and all parties involved decided to claw back value from the customer base & put it behind a pay wall. How could anyone NOT foresee the backlash? That move was going to give customers a bad initial taste in their mouth and sour them on the entire idea.

In the long run I think this could work. But Valve should have gotten together with modders and had them create brand new content for sale that would excited the player base. They chose to take the shortcut instead and now we are here.

HariKari

5. It'll poison the community.

Valve just botched it completely.

XRGs3x3.jpg

They somehow figured a copy paste of their existing model would work.

Dawg

Yeah, that's why people prefer a donate option over a paid mod. Obviously these guys should get compensated!...by someone else

Does that surprise you? We already paid $60 for the game. This mod was released the first day Dark Souls was released on PC. I appreciate Durante making a fix so fast and I'm sure it made the game sell more, but that doesn't change the fact DSfix is a relatively small, technical fix that makes the game run at a higher resolution and a more stable framerate. I don't want to throw shade at Durante, but if he made it in less than a day, I don't see why we should be forced to pay for it.

Durante doesn't have to make DSfix. It's not like he is forced to make a fix while not getting paid for it. And yes, I know you're going to say we're not forced to download the fix either. That's all true. But why did he make it in the first place? Doubt he did it for the money.

I'd like to believe he made it so people could play the game at a decent framerate and a decent resolution. To help out the community. You can call me entitled, but I'll never pay for a mod/fix that improves the graphical point of a game. I pay for videogames. I pay for content. Graphical enhancements are not content. They make a game look better and perhaps make it run beter, but it is NOT new content. It merely fixed/adds what already should have been there in the first place.

I don't want to continue gaming on a platform where, if the developer is too lazy, you're forced to either a) play the crappy port or b) pay additional money for a mod. I don't care if said mod is $1 or $5. It's the principle of the matter.

I think the idea itself is great but the implementation was horrendous.

I don't see how the fact that a mod/package/executable requires Skyrim gives Bethesda any legal rights to any profits. An emulator usually requires a copyrighted bios. An MP3 player app requires an MP3 licence on the OS. Many programs have additional functionality when other copyrighted programs are installed. This is not new ground and it doesn't turn their program into a derivative work. This means that the 75% split is fully down to any arrangement that Valve has with the game developer and they are taking money out of the mod creator's pocket to do so.

And I don't like the precedent that sets at all. Valve is a private company and can of course choose to set their cut at whatever they like, but if we don't fight for our own rights and rally against unfair practices then we can only expect big corporations to continue to take advantage.

Aselith

Durante doesn't have to make DSfix. It's not like he is forced to make a fix while not getting paid for it. And yes, I know you're going to say we're not forced to download the fix either. That's all true. But why did he make it in the first place? Doubt he did it for the money.

I'd like to believe he made it so people could play the game at a decent framerate and a decent resolution. To help out the community. You can call me entitled, but I'll never pay for a mod/fix that improves the graphical point of a game. I pay for videogames. I pay for content. Graphical enhancements are not content. They make a game look better and perhaps make it run beter, but it is NOT new content. It merely fixed/adds what already should have been there in the first place.

I think he did. But you want the choice of whether to monetize or not be taken from him. In this system, he can do either. Why force him to do it for free? Also the thing released day of was a first pass. He did much more work to make it better so saying it was released day of is pretty dismissive of all the work he did on it.

I think he did. But you want the choice of whether to monetize or not be taken from him. In this system, he can do either. Why force him to do it for free? Also the thing released day of was a first pass. He did much more work to make it better so saying it was released day of is pretty dismissive of all the work he did on it.

In this system he is forced to give 50% of the profit to an entity that has no legal or moral rights to a penny.

Sendou

In this system he is forced to give 50% of the profit to an entity that has no legal or moral rights to a penny.

They have legal rights to every penny. Or rather prohibiting modders from trying to sell their work for any kind of price at all. So they can't sell it themselves but they can prohibit others from selling it.

They do certainly have a legal right since that's what Durante would agree to in order to monetize it.

They have legal rights to every penny. Or rather prohibiting modders from trying to sell their work for any kind of price at all. So they can't sell it themselves but they can prohibit others from selling it.

1. Just because you don't charge for something doesn't mean much at all as to regards copyrights.

2. Durante doesn't distribute any of FROM/Namco's code and is not a derivative work of any of FROM/Namco's IP. Maybe he might have to remove the one prepackaged texture but the code and the work he put into is fully his and he is free to monetise it, sell it, licence it etc. Namco doesn't own any rights to the name, the work, the functionality or anything of the sort.

Any claims to the contrary are without merit.

Sendou

1. Just because you don't charge for something doesn't mean much at all as to regards copyrights.

2. Durante doesn't distribute any of FROM/Namco's code and is not a derivative work of any of FROM/Namco's IP. Maybe he might have to remove the one prepackaged texture but the code and the work he put into is fully his and he is free to monetise it, sell it, licence it etc. Namco doesn't own any rights to the name, the work, the functionality or anything of the sort.

Any claims to the contrary are without merit.

Okay I just got a little confused by your post I was quoting:

"In this system he is forced to give 50% of the profit to an entity that has no legal or moral rights to a penny."

In what system is that? Or are you likening DSFix to Skyrim mods using Bethesda's IP?

Okay I just got a little confused by your post I was quoting:

"In this system he is forced to give 50% of the profit to an entity that has no legal or moral rights to a penny."

In what system is that? Or are you likening DSFix to Skyrim mods using Bethesda's IP?

I think he is confused about the part where if Durante uploaded the mod as a paid complementary for Dark Souls, it would fall under the distribution deal Valve and FROM Software would have, not under any other license before that. Moral Panic seems to believe the discussion as about paying for stuff in general, not about Steam and it's workshop deals.

MaddenNFL64

Man, I hope this whole paid mod thing implodes. How much fucking money did Beth and Valve need? Support the modders, donate, add a patreon for them, but not this. Not like this.

Rafterman

Banned
289DD88C8FA00BE8975B033753CD4CA0BB173C99

It's only fitting that Bethesda, who started this shit back in '06, would be the ones to keep putting the screws to PC gamers. I imagine their next game will come with a fucking coin slot that we have to keep putting money in on a continual basis.

Grief.exe

289DD88C8FA00BE8975B033753CD4CA0BB173C99

It's only fitting that Bethesda, who started this shit back in '06, would be the ones to keep putting the screws to PC gamers. I imagine their next game will come with a fucking coin slot that we have to keep putting money in on a continual basis.

You argument also gets utterly broken due to Shivering Isles' release, still one of the best Expansions/DLC content of that entire generation.

It's actually 8M, check the graphs. The spike is due to free weekend.

Thanks galyonkin, didn't realize Skyirm had a free weekend. I'll make sure to double check the graphs.

Rafterman

Banned
You argument also gets utterly broken due to Shivering Isles' release, still one of the best Expansions/DLC content of that entire generation.

You're joking, right?

Shivering Isles - $30.00
Fighters Stronghold - $1.89
Horse Armor - $1.99
Knights of the Nine - $9.99
Mehrune's Razor - $2.99
Orrery - $1.89
Spell Tomes - $0.99
Thieves Den - $1.89
Vile Lair - $1.89
Wizards Tower - $1.89

Shivering Isles was great, but when you consider all of the DLC in Oblivion you basically had to pay twice the price of the game to get content that would have cost you half that or been free just a few years before.

The graphic is accurate as hell, and I can't wait to pay $500 when the next Bethesda game comes out and I end up having to pay for all the mods on top of all of their DLC just to get a comparable experience to what I've had in Skyrim.

Grief.exe

You're joking, right?

Shivering Isles - $30.00
Horse Armor - $1.99
Mehrune's Razor - $2.99
Orrery - $1.89
Spell Tomes - $0.99
Thieves Den - $1.89
Vile Lair - $1.89
Wizards Tower - $1.89

Shivering Isles was great, but when you consider all of the DLC in Oblivion you basically had to pay twice the price of the game to get content that would have cost you half that or been free just a few years before.

The graphic is accurate as hell, and I can't wait to pay $500 when the next Bethesda game comes out and I end up having to pay for all the mods on top of all of their DLC just to get a comparable experience to what I've had in Skyrim.

No it isn't. Oblivion's release is not portrayed on that graph at all, at it was an exact combination of both 2006 and 2011. I was just pointing out that you were cherry picking horse armor while conveniently forgetting Shivering Isles in your initial argument.

BeesEight

You're joking, right?

Shivering Isles - $30.00
Horse Armor - $1.99
Mehrune's Razor - $2.99
Orrery - $1.89
Spell Tomes - $0.99
Thieves Den - $1.89
Vile Lair - $1.89
Wizards Tower - $1.89

And yet Skyrim was:

Hearthfire - $5.50
Dragonborn - $22.00
Dawnguard - $22.00

Two of those are back to Shimmering Isles-esque types expansions and Hearthfire is certainly not "cut content" which that graph portrays it as. Was horse armour silly? Of course, but it's not like Bethesda continued forward with that model either.

_machine

Oh come, you don't have to pay for anything. There will se be paid official DLC available as well both free and paid mods. A lot of modders have already said that they will continue making mods for free whilst others are supportive in making paid mods. If you want content that the creator wants to be paid for then pay, but you will have countless free options still.

Rafterman

Banned
No it isn't. Oblivion's release is not portrayed on that graph at all, at it was an exact combination of both 2006 and 2011. I was just pointing out that you were cherry picking horse armor while conveniently forgetting Shivering Isles in your initial argument.

I never even brought up Horse Armor specifically, that's merely one of the many DLC's that would have been free, like in Morrowind, before they started this practice. But you are right, Oblivion is a combination of 2006-2011, but that makes sense considering Oblivion was when this whole mess started to gain traction.

And yet Skyrim was:

Hearthfire - $5.50
Dragonborn - $22.00
Dawnguard - $22.00

Two of those are back to Shimmering Isles-esque types expansions and Hearthfire is certainly not "cut content" which that graph portrays it as. Was horse armour silly? Of course, but it's not like Bethesda continued forward with that model either.

Sorry, but the three of those put together aren't as much content as Shivering Isles or Morrowind expansions. You're talking $50 for what would have been a $30 expansion pack before. The same concept applies, gamers are constantly getting less and less for more and more money.

Oh come, you don't have to pay for anything. There will se be paid official DLC available as well both free and paid mods. A lot of modders have already said that they will continue making mods for free whilst others are supportive in making paid mods. If you want content that the creator wants to be paid for then pay, but you will have countless free options still.

How do you know that?

Mods can say whatever they want, but it's up to Bethesda what happens in the future, not the mod makers. If Bethesda decides that only paid mods will be available in the future, so they can get a cut, that's what will happen. Call me cynical but I've seen this crap played out far too many times to expect something positive to come out of this.

kingkitty

I'm glad Gabe is feeling some constructive heat. Although ideally it shouldn't go so far that the internet wants to burn him at the stake.

If Valve does stick with this program, it's going to be interesting to see the mod support for Fallout 4, and how many of those cool mods will be behind a paywall from the start.

I'm glad Gabe is feeling some constructive heat. Although ideally it shouldn't go so far that the internet wants to burn him at the stake.

If Valve does stick with this program, it's going to be interesting to see the mod support for Fallout 4, and how many of those cool mods will be behind a paywall from the start.

At this point it feels like alot of the criticism is misdirected, I feel that Bethesda should be the ones to blame here. Steam has always had a workshop, and Bethesda was probably the ones who approached Valve with the idea to make paid mods. After all, they're the ones profiting the most out of it, and they're probably the ones who came up with the terms for it.

And then you have the fact that Valve is the only one getting heat right now. So Bethesda is probably happy about that fact.

kingkitty

At this point it feels like alot of the criticism is misdirected, I feel that Bethesda should be the ones to blame here. Steam has always had a workshop, and Bethesda was probably the ones who approached Valve with the idea to make paid mods. After all, they're the ones profiting the most out of it, and they're probably the ones who came up with the terms for it.

And then you have the fact that Valve is the only one getting heat right now. So Bethesda is probably happy about that fact.

Bethesda should get some heat, but ultimately Valve is the one who said "okay" to that idea. They didn't have to implement paid mods, but they did.

Bethesda should get some heat, but ultimately Valve is the one who said "okay" to that idea. They didn't have to implement paid mods, but they did.

Bethesda could be playing hardball. Valve is an intermediate for selling products-let's say for a second that Valve said no and Bethesda decided to not sell the future installments of FO/ES on Steam. That would hurt Valve more than Bethesda. So Valve has to keep the publisher happy. They'll go 'Sure we'll do this'. They already have the infrastructure for it. Yes, Valve could've said no, but that would damage their relationship with Bethesda.

This is all 'what-if' on my part. I just feel that at this point people are aiming their ire at the wrong person. Valve is just a service used by developers and publishers, at this point I believe that said publishers/developers can have say over what and how their products are sold.

_machine

How do you know that?

Mods can say whatever they want, but it's up to Bethesda what happens in the future, not the mod makers. If Bethesda decides that only paid mods will be available in the future, so they can get a cut, that's what will happen. Call me cynical but I've seen this crap played out far too many times to expect something positive to come out of this.
That is one helluva slippery slope and it's not like it has happened with any other game that support paid modding. Yes, if it happens it would ruin the community, but let's not go down a very unlikely slippery slope (that is my prediction as both a developer and modder).

The concept of paid modding itself is just about giving options. It's been proven to work quite well in some more niche communities, but the way I see the biggest problem is the way it's done here and if Valve can actually handle everything it contains for the Workshop. It's very similar to what Epic is trying to do with Unreal Tournament (something that was very interesting to me as a developer and which is why I'm slowing working towards a paid mod for UT). That said, it might not work for the Skyrim community and I've been very disappointed to see immaturity and vitriol towards modders that might want to get rewarded financially for their hard word.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom