• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

After two extra "killer features" for Mario Kart 8, what's next for series?

Neoxon

- Fix Battle Mode
- Add Captain Falcon, Bowser Jr., & Diddy Kong

That's pretty much it, though sadly I feel like the 2nd DLC pack is the last one we're gonna get.

They need some sort of single player mode beyond just racing the cups. It's been 8 games and the single player content hasn't evolved past what it was way back on the Super Nintendo. It's probably the biggest problem with the game at the moment.

Pizza

If Kirby Air Ride, Diddy Kong Racing, and F-Zero really have no future, I'd LOVE to see them get folded into Mario kart than fully abandoned.

Honestly, I'd be willing to spend $15 a pop on "expansion packs" that have as much dlc as pack 1 and 2 Combined. They could even put a kart/track/character from other games in. I'd love to see Olimar with a cute bulborb kart driving through one of those gorgeous locations, and Ness in a powerwheels version of the Runaway Five's van is just too rad

That would give Mario Kart four Kirby, F-Zero, and DKR cups, and an assortment of characters and karts for em.

Which I think is really rad, and way better than hoping they'll get sequels in another ten years*

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
200cc is a solid addition, but I wouldn't consider guest universes a "killer feature" as far as the core mechanics and game flow go.

Tame additions, but possibly not tame by MK standards, would be a level editor. It's been done, and it's expected, but I have a feeling if Nintendo stands behind it could turn into something special. The fact they're experimenting with Mario Maker gives me hope.

Additions that would get me excited, but would technically be returning and not new, would be a proper Battle mode.

However, I would consider a fully realized campaign mode with a fleshed out progression system (i.e. not just coins) a killer feature for this series. Make it faction based or what have you.

Speaking of factions, outright steal DriveClub's core idea and run with it for MP. Simplify it or streamline it, but somehow implement.

Ah, something to dream about.

SephLuis

A lot of single-player content, like Sonic All-Stars Transformed and Diddy Kong Racing
Bring back Specials from Double Dash
Bring back 2 characters in a single kart
Battle Mode
Instead of characters from a lot of series, I would prefer tracks based on a lot of series. Kirby, Metroid, Zelda and so on.

Dizzy

Banned
They dont really need anything new. MK8 was the best yet because the core gameplay was so good and the presentation was top notch.

Just that alone made MK8 the best yet. Just keep the focus on the ganeplay and perhaps expand the battle mode. Don't lose focus kn adding new features just for the sake of it.

Cipherr

Anything but more speed. Holy hell is it crazy right now. The first MAJOR turn after the race starts consists of all 12 people smashing into the wall at the same fucking spot while trying to drift
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
Shit is hilarious.

Its the best Kart racer ever after this DLC. The only improvements I can think of is a campaign mode for single player and bringing back the old better battle modes and stages. After that, theres just.... nothing. Its a fantastic game at this point.

Banned
Honestly I don't really know what they do next other than Super Smash Bros Kart. They could tighten up the roster and make characters more distinctive.

This is what i want. None of these generic fillers but more real, solid characters.

A full F Zero DLC would be cool.

Mr Buddy

I'd agree that Nintendo/Smash bros. Kart is probably the likely next step, and could be pretty neat. I'd hope that if that ever happens though, that the Mario stuff would still take center stage, or at the very least like a 70-30 split between mario stuff and other Nintendo franchises.

I might be misremembering, but didn't one of the developers say that they had considered making a 3 person kart feature for the game? Or something similar along those lines? I might be thinking of something else, but maybe that's the direction that Mario Kart might be going.
Mario Kart: Triple Dash

Clefargle

I fail to see how Mario Kart would benefit from voice chat.

Have you ever had fun once? But seriously, the way I grew up playing MK was sitting around with 3 friends / family and screaming at each other the whole time. We don't all live close together so having voice chat would IMMENSELY elevate the experience for me.

Xbro

Have you ever had fun once? But seriously, the way I grew up playing MK was sitting around with 3 friends / family and screaming at each other the whole time. We don't all live close together so having voice chat would IMMENSELY elevate the experience for me.

Voice chat among friends then?

Neospartan

Neo Member
More complex tracks that have various alternate routes, secret and difficult to use shortcuts, and are connected in a single world so that after the first race you immediately go to the starting line of the second one without a loading screen and can keep whatever item and amount of coins you had when you finished the last one. Also add a free roam mode where you can explore the world/stages in order to discover the secrets and test what route works best for you.

Could that still be considered Mario Kart?

Do an updated version of the Mario Kart DS Mission Mode.

I was so disappointed that this wasn't in Mario Kart 7 I didn't even think it was worth buying. It's a set of single player (though they could probably make them co-op or versus if they wanted) challenges involving anything from collecting all the coins in s set amount of time, to full on boss fights.

It was perfect for a handheld Mario Kart and I think it would work very well expanded upon on a console MK too. Maybe add some production values to it and make it similar to the story mode of F-Zero GX.

It continues to be my favorite addition to the Mario Kart franchise to date, and I'm beyond disappointed that it hasn't appeared in the last two games. :(

They really want to extend the life of their franchises this generation, so I would like to think that more DLC is on the horizon. I like that they're experimenting with bringing in characters from their other franchises. So, for Mario Kart 8 I think they're going to continue with that game plan. I bet we see an updated Battle Mode and a few more characters, notably Sonic, Captain Falcon & Samus.

As for the future of the series, I'm going to say that the next logical step would be to bring in more characters from outside the Mario universe and slowly fade out the Mario Kart brand. I can definitely see it them moving towards a Mario & Friends Kart in the future. I'd like to see them expand on the glider and water sections of the game, perhaps something like Diddy Kong Racing or Sonic & Sega All Stars Racing?

So, yeah, there are a few routes they can take, but I think it'd be best for them to move away from the strictly Mario universe kart.

Give mario kart an overworld hub like diddy kong racing, I think it could work well even if it was kept simple.

Allow better gliding, I noticed a lot of segments in the race tracks have forced flying and gliding speeds instead of using true momentium.

If underwater driving is kept in there needs to be a nicer gimmick for it, maybe disable drifting underwater and allow vertical steering.

Finally, a true battle mode like the snes and n64 versions.

Battle arenas would be nice, but with respect to the franchise in general, Double Dash and MKDS Mission Mode are sorely, sorely missed. Sadly, I don't really see either of them being patched in; a Double Dash mode wouldn't really work without karts and items designed around it, and Mission Mode might work as paid DLC (in the style of the Pikmin challenges) but is in the awkward position of being a dedicated single-player feature in a multiplayer-centric experience.

A Gold Shell that gives the player coins for as long as it's sliding, or that functions like the Blue Shell, yet upon hitting the first place person, it permanently destroys their kart. Can only be acquired on the final lap of a race. If your kart is blown up, you have to run for the remainder of the race

Azure J

- Track Editor and Sharing: Self explanatory.
- Fully featured in game highlight editor: Control cameras, change highlight characters, etc.
- Double Dash mode: A selectable mode to play with another person in two man karts (give up hops for this)
- Mario Kart DS' Mission Mode on steroids

Maybe more of a difference between characters besides weight? It would be cool to have special moves or some mechanic that makes a character unique regardless of the kart they're driving

Oh and also Battle Mode. Please don't forget to add this mode in next time, Nintendo. And no, repurposing courses does not count.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Mario Kart Universe.

Zelda and Animal Crossing are just the first two franchises to crossover with Mario Kart. The next one should include characters from all (or most) Nintendo franchises.

Edit: Also, add compatibility with the Pikachu amiibo. It's the only amiibo I've got, FFS.

Mario Kart Universe.

Zelda and Animal Crossing are just the first two franchises to crossover with Mario Kart. The next one should include characters from all (or most) Nintendo franchises.

Edit: Also, add compatibility with the Pikachu amiibo. It's the only amiibo I've got, FFS.

Combine this with my The Fast and the Furious: Mario Kart idea and we're in business

Serviam

It's all about that battle mode. The only thing I am missing in MK8. I can not understand how they fucked that up. Wake up Nintendo!!!

Jamix012

5 Player Local,
- In addition to this add a download play for n3DS/3DS's which allows certain tracks to be crossplayed and increases the total amount of local players
Optional Double-Dash Vehicles,
Mission Mode from MK DS,
Better Online Functions,
A good battle mode,
Collectables (ala trophies in Smash) and/or a Story Mode (Diddy Kong Racing),
Bring back the option of characters having their own special items,
Silly, but fun, Mini Games, like Kart Soccer for example.

I think the series still has room to grow.

ajjow

- grand prix mode = playthe game like top gear 2 from snes. A grand prix mode would be racing all stages, including reverse mode, where you get coins formwhining, then u can buy parts to improve your cart. in this mode, they could create missions, like, win with "x" seconds from the second place, or bosses.
They could efen go further and put a RIVAL like street fighter 4. Each character has its own rival, which will give trouble and it will incentive you to go further.

- grand prix mode online = select a friend to be your rival and race the grand prix mode online. Get better parts then usual, like monster hunter.

- battle mode - a better and deeper battle mode with a deep online like shooters.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
What I think represents the "next" for the series

- DLC Expansions a few months after the launch: basically, the MK8's model used again. It's working fantastically, why couldn't they do it again. Also, we must take note of the "NintendOS" plans by Nintendo: if both handhelds and consoles will really support the same games, we won't need a Mario Kart game each 2/3 years (Mario Kart: Super Circuit - 2001; Mario Kart: Double Dash - 2003; Mario Kart DS - 2005; Mario Kart Wii - 2008; Mario Kart 7 - 2011; Mario Kart 8 - 2014) in order to support as soon as possible a brand new console (wheter it's a portable or a home console), it'll probably be more like 4-5 years between two full new iterations of Mario Kart, while the Mario Kart team will have the possibility on working on other, different projects, alongisde the DLCs. And what's the best way you can give a long life to a product like Mario Kart, that can be easily expanded for a few years without getting a brand new iteration? With expansions, of course!

- Non-Mario characters / tracks being a bigger presence in the game: as said by others, probably they will be more like the "big attractions" of the expansions, and not in the main game already. Even if, IMHO, it could be possible that one/max two non-Mario characters / tracks are in the game right from launch...we'll have to see.

- Better online features. Evolving on the bases from Mario Kart 8 and adding more "modern" online play features should be done. This includes better sharing functions.

- A separate single player campaign from the usual Grand Prix. I didn't play Diddy Kong Racing when I was little (no N64 at the time), but I played another (AMAZING) kart game that had a very good single campaign, that was a Story Mode, complete with storyline, an overworld to travel in, bosses, etc.etc. Of course, I'm talking about the majestic Crash Team Racing. I want something similar to that (and DKR, since it has a similar concept for the Story Mode IIRC) in Mario Kart. Maybe, in addition to that, something similar to the Mission Mode from MKDS that's already been mentioned here several times (I don't remember about it that much, since I didn't play MK DS that much, sorry ;_; ).

- 200cc from the start. I don't think anything else should be added.

- The return of a legit battle mode. MK8 really lacks in this.

- What about the gameplay mechanics themselves? Eh, MK7 introduced underwater driving and gliding, while MK8 introduced 0 gravity...eeh, that's kind of difficult...maybe the actual possibility of flying in specific sections of stages (like Sonic All-Star Racing: Trasformed)? Combinable items? First two that I thought about. Don't know what else would be considered a good addition gameplay-wise, right now.

Top Bottom