• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Gears of War remaster coming to Xbox One, sources say" (by Splash Damage)

Prediction Time:

August/September = Forza 6
October = Halo 5 (Confirmed)
November = Rise of the Tomb Raider
February = Gears of War 1: Anniversary Edition (with Gears of War 4 beta for Summer)
April = Quantum Break

I'm confused. First, Black Tusk showed a trailer for Shangheist. Then we were told that wasn't a real game, and they were actually working on a new Gears game. Now it turns out it's just a remaster of the original game? =/

Megatron

So maybe we're looking at each game being released separately at $20 each, a few months apart, rather than a $60 all-at-once collection? Interesting strategy.

Not a chance. I see these releasing at $40 each.

I have been expecting them to go this route. The master chief collection blew up in their faces. They should have just released halo 2. They weren't ready to release the whole thing. And now they can't even re-sell all the other games.

I still say this comes next year, not this year and we see the new gears game in 17.

zychi

Banned
it was in the beginning but then they made it so only people who had all the map packs could play in dedicated games iirc

google "gears 3 dedicated servers" you'll find articles from 2010 that MS and Epic were claiming games would start having dedicated servers on consoles.

so far, Titanfall is the only one I've played that had them consistently on.

why is xbox live $60 a year again?

I'm confused. First, Black Tusk showed a trailer for Shangheist. Then we were told that wasn't a real game, and they were actually working on a new Gears game. Now it turns out it's just a remaster of the original game? =/

Black Tusk is working on a new Gears, not just this.

Guessing a lot of this remaster will be outsourced, similar to Halo MCC.

So , multiplayer on dedis (not MCC dedis) and ı am in..Gears multiplayer is so amazing and uniqe, ı can throw my money on it every time..(Except for judgement for sure)

whoa it's almost 10 years from Gears 1. That made me think, MS released the 360 a year after Halo 2.

I'm paying $10 for this remaster. Not a big Gears fan.

NateDrake

The truth. Take off the nostalgia glasses and it's clearly the worst of the numbered entries. Never bothered to play Judgement so I can't comment on that.

It has nothing to do with nostalgia. Gears of War 2 is trash when it comes to MP. Gears of War 3 is damn good. Gears of War is still awesome. I played it last weekend and it holds up remarkably well.

Leyasu

Banned
Yoooooooo

Multiplayer dedicated servers?

Incredible!!!

They can't not do with how much of a pain in the ass host advantage was in the original.

I can't fucking wait for this

As long as black tusk dont look at 343 as to how to get games running on dedicated servers it could be good.

ShogunX

It was a laggy bug fest. Terrible. 2 was just as bad. 3 was the sweet spot.

The original Gears is the purest form of multiplayer across the four games. It had problems with host advantage but as long as you played with somebody with a good connection and arranged matches with other teams it's still a great experience to this day.

Gears 2 at launch and for some time after was an utter mess of bad ideas, balancing issues and bugs and glitches. After a fair few patches (delayed grenade tag timer, no smoke knockdown ect ect) it was again a very good game online with some utterly brilliant maps.

Gears 3 like you say is the most refined experience and I guess that's why people like it more than the rest. However it switched the focus from the tense and tactical battles of Execution/Warzone and pushed TDM as the main game type. In my opinion the series suffered for it.

As for news of this remaster? Well if the game has actually received a good amount of work like upgraded textures, lighting, performance upgrade and a smooth online experience I'm there day fucking one.

campaign wise gears 1 was the most boring but it did have the best soundtrack
multiplayer wise its dated, going back to playing it after gears 3 is quite jarring.

i will only be ok with this if they included gears 3 multiplayer

mnannola

They already set the precedent of offering Halo 1-4 for 60$, though. So I doubt it.

That was part of the long con. They just crammed too much into MCC which caused all the issues. Now they have good excuse to sell future remasters individually.

If they're going with Gears 1 MP, netcode needs to be completely gutted and rebuilt from scratch, gnasher spread needs to be made consistent, longshot active reload needs to be baksnced, and the 25443778944 glitches need to be fixed.

The truth. Take off the nostalgia glasses and it's clearly the worst of the numbered entries. Never bothered to play Judgement so I can't comment on that.

It was the first one, you would hope that as you make more games they are better and imo Gears 1 is still great I played it last year (I think it was last year) and whilst its obvious Gears 2 then Gears 3 were better thats what happens when you make a sequel.

The series is great and all 3 of the numbered entries are worth playing even today, Judgments not so bad, its the competitive multiplayer and lack of Horde that affects it, Overrun + two campaigns were good.

daman824

If it's actually improved graphics outside of 1080p and 60fps then I'm in for $60.

Otherwise... Idk. I'd go $40 since it has multiplayer. I found tlou remaster to be a good deal at that price too for the same reason.

Hopefully they can retrofit a horde mode in there, otherwise I don't see myself getting it. I loved the original campaign, but I already played the hell out of it.

Oh... Well... This cat came out of the bag earlier than I expected.

I've been hearing rumblings through a chain of friends. Of course, when information is passed through a large game of telephone, you'd assume it's incorrect but given the fact that the reports we're hearing now are inkeeping with the stuff I've heard, it's safe to say it's legit.

gears 1 had so much bullshit that would have to be fixed i find it hard to believe they will include its multiplayer. i think we will get gears 1 campaign with gears 3 multiplayer

in a world where gears 2 exists no way was gears 1 the worst multiplayer in trilogy. gears 2 is complete and utter horse shit of a game through and through and epic realised their mistake and made the masterpiece that is gears 3.

EL CUCO

Judgement removed tagging nades on walls, RE-introduced 2 pieceing, removed playing as Locusts for PVP and made it CoG vs CoG. I'm sure there's more I can't remember. To top it off launched with 5 maps...not to mention it was riddled with microtransactions. You didn't miss much. Overrun was pretty fun though. Kinda like a PVP twist on Horde.
gears 1 had so much bullshit that would have to be fixed i find it hard to believe they will include its multiplayer. i think we will get gears 1 campaign with gears 3 multiplayer
I'd gladly take this. The memories of RAAM kicking my ass over and over will never leave me lol

EvB

I think gears of war has had it's day.

Gears 3 and judgement came when the install base for the console was insanely large and yet both games were both poor sellers in the grand scheme of AAA 360 exclusive games.

allan-bh

I think gears of war has had it's day.

Gears 3 and judgement came when the install base for the console was insanely large and yet both games were both poor sellers in the grand scheme of AAA 360 exclusive games.

Gears 3 poor seller? You are wrong.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
i'd rather have a reworked gears 1 then an uprezed port of the whole collection. cool

Tomash

If multiplayer doesnt get anniversary treatment, including implementing movement and weapon balance from GeOW3, I'm not interested.

Liamc723

Hopefully this is the same case as the Master Chief Collection. People had been hearing about a remake of Halo 2, and that turned out to be the entire series.

Might as well throw this in here as well so it's not relegated to a thread about Black Ops 3.

http://www.reddit.com/r/GearsOfWar/comments/33pf3x/leaked_gow_xbox_one_beta_sorry_about_gamertag/

It's Gears of War. The big question (which hopefully I'll be able to answer soon) is whether it's the new game or a collection.

I have seen three different photos of it. Only reason we haven't posted about it is that we don't know what it is yet. "Here's a picture of a Gears of War logo" doesn't offer much value to people.

Top Bottom