• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo:MCC HCS Cup cancelled because of joinability issues..

VinFTW

beautiful solution- don't play with your friends

wonder how fucked up halo 5s launch will be

Halo 5 has nothing to do with the MCC's issues lol

This has been explained multiple times in multiple ways.

Halo 5 beta worked a lot better than the MCC, but I assume you didn't play it based off your statement.

Booshka

Why not use the older games and consoles?

Can't play Halo 2 on Xbox Live anymore. You were never able to play Halo 1 MP on Xbox Live until this collection, Halo 3 netcode on Xbox 360 is pretty awful. Halo 4 is still playable online for 360, but the game has shit MP anyway.

Halo 2 Anniversary MP is only available in MCC, and it's the title that the HCS tournament uses, so ya...

Halo 5 beta worked a lot better than the MCC, but I assume you didn't play it based off your statement.
Halo5 betas matchmaking with parties was just as fucked up but you keep justifying broken games

ahh.gif
ahh.gif
ahh.gif

I'm sorry but I can't deal. I have never heard something like this before.

It's laughable at this point, thank god I'm a fan of the series because of the campaigns otherwise I'd be pissed. I mess around with a couple MP matches but then I get bored and move on

stryke

I assume you realize that not everyone have those.

Can't play Halo 2 on Xbox Live anymore. You were never able to play Halo 1 MP on Xbox Live until this collection, Halo 3 netcode on Xbox 360 is pretty awful. Halo 4 is still playable online for 360, but the game has shit MP anyway.

Halo 2 Anniversary MP is only available in MCC, and it's the title that the HCS tournament uses, so ya...

Fair enough.

The Halo 5 beta worked better, but "a lot better" is an exaggeration. It still suffered from long matchmaking wait times, difficulties with inviting friends and maintaining fire teams, and getting randomly booted post match.

In before the "IT WAS A BETA" screaming. Yes, it was a beta, we all get that. The problem is that we've had a series of substandard Halo products from Microsoft at this point. People have every right to be concerned about Halo 5, even if it is being handled by 343i proper. Ultimately Microsoft deserves all of the blame. Furthermore, I will continue to stand by my comments that Halo MCC needs to be recalled, and that Microsoft knowingly committed consumer fraud by releasing it.

Also, this thread is pretty hilarious considering the thread that was posted a couple months ago after the last patch where people were claiming the game is "fixed." I have always maintained that this game is beyond fixing. The foundations of this game are so broken that the marginal stability patches are never going to give consumers the product that they were promised back Q4 2014.

Tagg9

The silver lining here is that I expect Halo 5 to be incredibly polished when it launches this fall. They can't afford to release something that is at all buggy after the MCC fiasco.

343 better bow to the audience at e3. What an absolute disgrace to the Halo name. They've been butchering it since 2012. Halo 5 is going to have a rough time when it launches against the likes of Battlefront and Blops 3.

The silver lining here is that I expect Halo 5 to be incredibly polished when it launches this fall. They can't afford to release something that is at all buggy after the MCC fiasco.

It will release October 27th, 2015 whether the game is ready or not. That's the problem with most of these AAA Q4 games these days. From a financial standpoint there is no lesson to be learned from this debacle as MCC is still one of the top selling Xbox One games to date. Obviously Microsoft is still worried though, which is why they are killing the spirit of the brand by overly focus testing the franchise (I've probably completed 10+ Halo feedback surveys since January).

Microsoft seems largely determined to run this franchise in the ground through mismanagement and making the franchise utterly indistinguishable from any of the other big FPS games that release Q4.

They'll run this franchise into the ground until gamers abandon it for more interesting games (with smaller budgets) doing truly innovative things (and are also more stable from a technical standpoint).

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
The Halo 5 beta worked better, but "a lot better" is an exaggeration. It still suffered from long matchmaking wait times, difficulties with inviting friends and maintaining fire teams, and getting randomly booted post match.

In before the "IT WAS A BETA" screaming. Yes, it was a beta, we all get that. The problem is that we've had a series of substandard Halo products from Microsoft at this point. People have every right to be concerned about Halo 5, even if it is being handled by 343i proper. Ultimately Microsoft deserves all of the blame. Furthermore, I will continue to stand by my comments that Halo MCC needs to be recalled, and that Microsoft knowingly committed consumer fraud by releasing it.

Also, this thread is pretty hilarious considering the thread that was posted a couple months ago after the last patch where people were claiming the game is "fixed." I have always maintained that this game is beyond fixing. The foundations of this game are so broken that the marginal stability patches are never going to give consumers the product that they were promised back Q4 2014.

Yeah I said the same about a few weeks after launch. The game is far too broken at the core level to be ever be fixed. I mean, to this day, I still can't even get rid of notifications in the game. I continually pop up with 4 new notifications that relate to videos. I try to watch all the terminals and that either doesn't work, or the notifications don't disappear anyway.

Oh yeah, Halo Channel is a broken mess too.

343 better bow to the audience at e3. What an absolute disgrace to the Halo name. They've been butchering it since 2012. Halo 5 is going to have a rough time when it launches against the likes of Battlefront and Blops 3.

That's part of the problem. That audience has no idea what it wants from the franchise. The Halo franchise means too many different things to different people. That's partially how we got into this debacle in the first place. Microsoft wanted to make a splash at last year's e3 and did cater to the audience by promising something that they knew they couldn't deliver on (releasing a collection instead of just Halo 2 remastered).

This franchise needs to stop all of the focus testing. Stop catering to "hardcores", "casuals", ""e-sports" or whatever is the days latest "it" demographic group.

The franchise simply needs some goddamn creative focus and a single vision. I'm suggesting something along the lines of auteur theory here. They need to bring in the equivalent of a film director and just go with one cohesive vision.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
That's part of the problem. That audience has no idea what it wants from the franchise. The Halo franchise means too many different things to different people. That's partially how we got into this debacle in the first place. Microsoft wanted to make a splash at last year's e3 and did cater to the audience by promising something that they knew they couldn't deliver on (releasing a collection instead of just Halo 2 remastered).

This franchise needs to stop all of the focus testing. Stop catering to "hardcores", "casuals", ""e-sports" or whatever is the days latest "it" demographic group.

The franchise simply needs some goddamn creative focus and a single vision. I'm suggesting something along the lines of auteur theory here. They need to bring in the equivalent of a film director and just go with one cohesive vision.
Seriously. The design by committee shit needs to stop.

Korosenai

I still think this, and I remember telling some friends this a week after launch, that they needed to recall this game and it realease it late 2015.

Yeah I said the same about a few weeks after launch. The game is far too broken at the core level to be ever be fixed. I mean, to this day, I still can't even get rid of notifications in the game. I continually pop up with 4 new notifications that relate to videos. I try to watch all the terminals and that either doesn't work, or the notifications don't disappear anyway.

Oh yeah, Halo Channel is a broken mess too.

The GUI in Halo MCC is a broken mess. It honestly reminds me of sharepoint (another fantastic *sarcasm* Microsoft product that I use for work). Sub directories upon sub directories. You have to go like 5 directories in before you find what you're looking for, but MCC still doesn't realize that you've already looked at it. Additionally, the searching/filtering/sorting tools are pathetic.

The GUI in Halo MCC is the fucking canary in the coal mine to understanding that Halo MCC is essentially a model made out of popsicle sticks and glue. I.e. too many teams working on too many different parts of the game, and exceptionally poor management with no cohesive vision.

Demon Ice

Banned
343 is responsible for Halo now, that is what we have been led to believe so that is who is responsible. If a company you hire to renovate your house screws up, your dispute is with them and not the independent contractors they hired to do parts of the job for them.

So much this.

I wonder if the same people would be going "It wasn't 343i, it was all these other third party companies!" if the game had launched in flawless condition and was receiving critical acclaim.

MCC came out 6 months too early and needs more then patches to fix all the issues it has.

All these patches since launch are mostly aimed at MP but there's a ton of campaign issues too, are they ever going to get to them? doubt it.

Seriously. The design by committee shit needs to stop.

It's never going to stop completely when you're talking about AAA budgets. However, the game industry needs to learn a lesson from the film industry and develop some auteurs.

There is always going to be focus testing when you're talking about hundreds of millions of dollars. However, you need to be able to point to someone within the franchise that has a sense of direction and focus. The video game equivalent of Joss Whedon, J.J. Abrams needs to helm the series.

There is a serious dearth of auteurs in the videogame industry right now. The biggest one I can think of (besides the obvious auteurs at Nintendo) is Hidetaka Miyazaki with the Demon Souls/Dark Souls franchise.

The news today that Del Toro is no longer collaborating on the next Silent Hill is another head scratcher. The videogame industry needs more partnerships like that, because right now the people making most of these AAA titles have no idea what they're doing and the vast majority of them are terrible.

I think thats a good problem from the single player perspective. The story can be hard to follow for casuals who arent as invested in the franchise as the hardcore are. Finding out that a forerunner was still alive was a nice story idea, but its not well implemented as we have not much in the way of information as to how this happened other than the books. I dont want the books to stop because they are good, but rather take a step back and write a story that people can get invested into for 10 hours.

In terms of multiplayer i think they mix this up a bit though. Much to the like of Blizzard with SC2. They try to cater to its esports players and the fans and end up creating a very polished product. 343 needs a good balence right now so I assume with the early beta thats what they were shooting for.

Wow... Is the game ever going to be fixed?

Probably not. We'll never know the budget of the team doing the patching but it's probably safe to say that they're severely underfunded considering how royally fucked the original product is.

No incentive for Microsoft to provide additional funding to the small team because Halo 5 is releasing relatively soon and nobody really cares (is buying) Halo MCC anymore anyway.

jelly

so wait, how does this work? do a bunch of suits just sit in a room with checklists and tell the 343 guys to write what's popular up on a whiteboard?

I think of it as would a new weapon called the needler have made it into Halo if Microsoft filtered it through the committee and user tests for a new game. Halo 4 had similar weapons across the board because user tests indicated they didn't use the ones outside their comfort zone of human like weapons. Sometimes you just have to say so what, and do what you think is right and fun, users will come around. 343 basically copying COD and taking risk away for that unobtainable audience is the wrong approach. Halo 5 has already leaned that way again but not seen enough yet.

meanspartan

So much this.

I wonder if the same people would be going "It wasn't 343i, it was all these other third party companies!" if the game had launched in flawless condition and was receiving critical acclaim.

It is just so bizarre to me why some people are defending 343 at all. If you love Halo you should be livid at them.

You dont see Star Wars fans giving Lucas a pass for the prequels. And he created Star Wars! 343 on the other hand is just a so far lackluster caretaker of Bungie's series.

Hubble

Foolishfellow, you are my new best friend. I, you, and many others and personal friends feel the same way and have said so on GAF, but you articulated it pretty damn well. What astounds me the most is how 343 have ignored A LOT of feedback from the Halo Waypoint forums since Halo 4.

Completely agree, and I remember getting a lot of flak in the Halo 5 Beta OT when in an argument over the menus that I became frustrated by. The main refute - it's a beta. I understand the Halo 5 beta is a beta, and it should have things wrong, but what I don't understand is how do you not have something as simple as the menus operating properly? I am not expecting polished high graphic changing menus but my god, something that works. You literally could not have backed out after a game started to search or when it ended online. For me, it was horrifying that 343 could not even have the menus perform like a standard menu let alone not capturing the magic of Heretic and the long laundry list of things that felt so 'smh' i.e., out of place in Halo like the what the fuck backward assassinations - I thought they listened to Halo 4 feedback? Or the crazy long runway on top of Truth, which was another 'what the fuck?' - so many things just made it not Halo.

Microsoft seems largely determined to run this franchise in the ground through mismanagement and making the franchise utterly indistinguishable from any of the other big FPS games that release Q4.

Completely agree. What made Halo 3 so great, was that it was different than any other FPS on the market and it was competitive but easily accessible for everyone to play with its varied playlists. Now with Halo 5, they are convinced to copy paste Halo to its competition. Just look at the Advanced Warfare mechanics in Halo 5. I know anecdotal but true story - I was at Gamestop (I don't shop there but was at the mall and usually walk in to check things out). I go in and out, I don't care to talk or what not, but I overheard a conversation with a few of the employees with a customer about the Halo 5 beta, and they pretty much said, "I stopped playing Halo after 3". I know A LOT of people who stopped caring about Halo since the dilution of the games.

Why is this not a bigger deal considering the IP, and publisher?

And do people get refunds for this or what? Have people tried to sue or something? It sounds so bizarre.

Is it because it's just a collection of older games and therefore no one cares?

I'm just really shocked, as it got tremendously good scores, but it sounds fundamentally broken to the point of no return. Did people ride the good faith of a patch update alleviating everything?

TomShoe

Banned

And do people get refunds for this or what? Have people tried to sue or something? It sounds so bizarre.

I'm just really shocked, as it got tremendously good scores, but it sounds fundamentally broken to the point of no return. Did people ride the good faith of a patch update alleviating everything?

Because of the name behind the game. I'm 100% sure people will forget all of this once H5 marketing revs up.

Hatchtag

Banned

Personally I just stopped caring. You can only bitch so much without any change before realizing the franchise isn't going go get any better and the people in charge simply don't care.

BokehKing

Banned
Personally I just stopped caring. You can only bitch so much without any change before realizing the franchise isn't going go get any better and the people in charge simply don't care.
I'm pretty sure they care, Microsoft can't drop two halo duds on a yearly basis with out someone losing their jobs

Easy_D

never left the stone age
This is just beyond incompetent at this point. Maybe they should just hand it over to a more fitting studio? I mean there are plenty of Xbox Onen games with functional online play. It's even weirder given their robust dedicated server infrastructure.

Velikost

Haha, well that's disappointing. Taking digs at Halo 5 in the OP though? lmaoooo

Always enjoy seeing the familiar faces in these threads as well.

I'm not looking to make 343 or any of the other devs involved, but I can't help but wonder if the trash XB1 OS is partly to blame for all these party issues. I have a fair amount of issues with parties on a strictly OS level, so I can see why dealing with parties and getting everyone matched together smoothly in game seems to be their biggest hurdle. You'd think they'd reach out to someone Respawn and figure out how they did it, considering how smoothly Titanfall runs.

https://twitter.com/Halo/status/592140345195962369

Yes, serious. The premier Halo team tournament has been cancelled because of problems with the game affecting social connectivity with friends. The same issue that has been in the last 10 patch notes.

Yup, it has been a whopping 199 days since the release of Halo: The Master Chief Collection and issues are still prevalent affecting online multiplayer. Ranks have JUST been introduced, and as you know, the 1-50 ranking system is a major driving force for Halo players and their motivation to continue matchmaking and help retain a high population count. A lot of Halo fans, and pros have been frustrated by 343's lack of understanding of what Halo fans want (lack of maps in Halo competitive playlist with only 3, ranks should have been a quicker priority, unestablished dedicated servers, which leads to complaints for Halo 5, which are no sprint in Halo 5, bad maps in Halo 5 filled with clamber and sprint, no weapon callouts in Halo 5, no 1-50 ranking system (you got a 50 bro?) etc.)

1-50 had been in since launch.

Apathy

So much this.

You don't have to wonder, check the OT thread before the release when the reviews came up it was calls that 343i were God tier developers and no mention or anything they outsourced the game. Check back once the problems began surfacing and how 343i were blameless because they outsourced the game and wanting to not drag their name through the mud.

Hubble

It was completely broken for most of that, they reset it at least 3 times including in the latest patch.

Yup. It was common to have your rank reset automatically. I know many people who individually had their rank reset randomly without the 343 resets. Also the 1-50 rank system was never implemented in the Halo Championship Series playlist until this week at which point, much of the general interest in Halo has faded. Honestly, it's just shameful they introduced ranks in the HCS after 150+ days.

VinFTW

You of all people should know how bad MCC was at launch. If we're comparing the launch state to Halo 5's BETA, then H5 was 10x better... Wasn't perfect though, it had its issues for sure. I played more games of H5 in a day than I probably did in the first 2 weeks of MCC's launch.

Halo5 betas matchmaking with parties was just as fucked up but you keep justifying broken games

Hmm, okay lol

I see conversation is not your strong suit. No where did I justify broken games, lmao, like wut? Are you just assuming H5 is launching broken? Is me not assuming that as well considered "justifying broken games"?

The bit more than they could chew. Just porting a game to a different console can be problematic enough, let alone 4 remasters.

Top Bottom