• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Publishers who passed on female-lead Life is Strange "hope it changes the industry"

chadskin

“Games with female protagonists will not sell.”

That was the refrain most often fielded by Oskar Guilbert, CEO of Dontnod Entertainment, when he pitched Life Is Strange to major publishers.

Of course he suspected the idea wouldn’t be fashionable. Musclebound warriors, red-blooded swashbucklers, strapping rogues: these are the customary heroes of the medium. Life Is Strange, meanwhile, is about a thoughtful, soft-spoken teenage girl who’s interested in folk music and photography, and happens to have the power to rewind time.

After shopping the concept around a while, Dontnod at last found the support of Square Enix, the Japanese publisher best known for producing role-playing games like Final Fantasy. “Everyone else just said no, it will never work,” Guilbert says. Dontnod didn’t care, however, and they wouldn’t compromise the integrity of their original vision. “We fought against a lot of preconceptions in this industry.”
“Players,” Guilbert concludes, “are looking for something new. They’re tired of playing the same kind of games all the time. What we want to bring them is something different, something slower, more poetic, more nostalgic – something which isn’t so present on the market.”

The gamble is paying off. At a gaming expo recently, Guilbert ran into some of the publishers who passed on Life Is Strange – the publishers who couldn’t abide a game about a girl. “They congratulated us on our success and said they hope it changes the industry.” Perhaps it already has.
http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/apr/26/life-is-strange-episodic-video-game-dontnod

Tenebrous

Good on them for sticking to their guns and accepting no compromise in putting out the game they wanted, and credit to Square Enix for stepping up to publish it.

I absolutely hated the first episode, but whatever. Different strokes, etc.

Zareka

Good on Square, Dontnod and everyone involved. I've loved Life is Strange so far and really, really hope they knock it out of the park with the next 3 episodes.

I still don't get why the protagonists gender is such a big deal, myself. I have never ever cared whether I'm playing as a guy or a girl.

I quite liked how they did the choice and consequence in this game. The second episode had a few weird choices (bottle catching =X), and the writing is a little weird (totally forgivable), but the overall game is very good.

Best of luck to Dontnod!

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Tomb Raider came out 19 years ago and publishers are still scared of female protagonists.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Every time this comes up it sounds like a tall tale. Something very cynical about these publisher characters that keep saying the exact perfect soundbytes and of course impossibly identifiable.

Tomb Raider came out 19 years ago and publishers are still scared of female protagonists.

I don't think looking to the original tomb raider as a source of viable female representation is a great idea. Modern tomb raider is more fair, but the original is not in line with what these developers are talking about.

Tomb-Raider-Playstation-Box1.jpg

I say that as a fan of the series, but it was definitely part of the problem.

Classic Lara as a character is much better than the current Lara.

I don't disagree, it's just saddled with so much visual silliness that it kind of negates any of their successes.

I don't think looking to the original tomb raider as a source of viable female representation is a great idea. Modern tomb raider is more fair, but the original is not in line with what the developers are talking about.

Classic Lara as a character is much better than the current Lara.

Do we know how successful the game has been?

Successful enough that the president of Square personally visited Dontnod to congratulate them on its success.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I think it's going to take something a lot bigger and a lot more wide reaching than Life Is Strange to change the industry.

ShyMel

I'm really happy that SE went ahead and published the game. I've enjoyed the first two episodes and I can't wait to play the rest of them.

Don

Are there any know examples of a developer who has changed the original gender of their protagonist due to push-back from the publisher?

It feels like there have been a few stories about publishers turning away games with a female protagonist but I'm kind of curious about if any developers have caved to please the publisher in this area.

Meaty

Talking from experience, theres a line between believable dialogue in a piece of work and real life dialogue.

You can base a character off someone in real life, and use exactly the same expressions that person does and still someone will not find the character to be believable because of how used we got to the way dialogue is treated in movies/books, etc and in our own experiences.

Its why we got a lot of people saying Ellie was a poorly written character because shes always swearing, despite the fact that any teen her age would do that in real life.

People look at other pieces of work to base their acceptance of writing on other pieces, so I tend to be very open to writing that seems "poor" at first. Chances are, its just something you are not used to.

The Tomb Raider that came out 19 years ago is also not a good example of a female protagonist.

Publishers have no trouble adding sex appeal into their games. What's much more rare are nonsexuallised heroines, like Max.

Nuke Soda

Only one character uses that word. Hardly the dialogue disaster some are trying to paint it as.

Personally it felt less horrible and more off, weird little things. There was only one bit that actually made me cringe and it comes at the end of episode 1, can't remember what it was, but it was bad.

george_us

I'm still not quite sure this is. For every game that's tanked because the protagonist was female/black/whatever, you can point to at least five that tanked despite having a straight male protagonist. This industry doesn't make any sense sometimes.

He's hella right.

Go fuck your selfie.

Victoria is Queen Bee for life.

I really enjoy the Mean Girls-esque story that Dontnod wants to tell. It's more interesting than anything Telltale has done post TWD S1 and The Wolf Among Us.

Also, Amazeballs and Awesoemsauce deserves to be in everyone's vocabulary. Sad face.

Henkka

Banned
There's a market for everything, just keep the budget low if you know you're making something that appeals to a niche audience.

Publishers are out to make money, not art. They also have no obligation to 'further the medium' or whatever. Good on SE for having faith in their vision, though.

EvB

People do say hella, though. Shit like amazeballs and awesomesauce are what stood out the most.

Fuck your selfie still the goat. victoria and kate still my waifus

I know people that use both of those words. I hate it, but I can't stop them

IcyEyes

“Games with female protagonists will not sell.”

Can't disagree more and not all publisher have the same vision ...

Dargor

Really hope that the big companies get to see/realise that this industry is big enough to house all sorts of games. Its almost crazy how they can't grasp the fact that with the number of people playing games on a daily basis, there are also enough people wiling to buy all kinds of games.

They just need to be good games and people will buy them. It doesn't matter if its about WW25 or how to deal with life. If its good, there will be an audience for it.

I'm still not quite sure this is. For every game that's tanked because the protagonist was female/black/whatever, you can point to at least five that tanked despite having a straight male protagonist. This industry doesn't make any sense sometimes.

I would be very curious to see an actual study comparing games + character gender (and sexualized vs non-sexualized + review scores + sales. Given that companies do in fact tend to make decisions based on data, I would imagine that (non-publlic) studies like this do in fact exist, and that they probably don't work in our favor.

tokkun

Every time this comes up it sounds like a tall tale. Something very cynical about these publisher characters that keep saying the exact perfect soundbytes and of course impossibly identifiable.

I had the same feeling.

Don't get me wrong, I have no doubt that publishers are resistant to games featuring female characters, and I don't doubt that the "games starring female characters don't sell" line has been given at some point, but the way this story is written feels a little too ideal from both a journalistic and PR standpoint.

Reminds me of the scene in Season 5 of The Wire where the editor calls out the anonymous quotes for sounding a little too good to be true.

george_us

I would be very curious to see an actual study comparing games + character gender (and sexualized vs non-sexualized + review scores + sales. Given that companies do in fact tend to make decisions based on data, I would imagine that studies like this do in fact exist, but they probably aren't public.
I'd love to see the data myself. "Female protagonists don't sell" seems like such a self-fulfilling prophecy considering just how rare female protagonists have been in the western side of the industry.

Are there any know examples of a developer who has changed the original gender of their protagonist due to push-back from the publisher?

It feels like there have been a few stories about publishers turning away games with a female protagonist but I'm kind of curious about if any developers have caved to please the publisher in this area.

The closest would probably be Sleeping Dogs. The story about it goes that the game was originally being developed by Treyarch under the name Black Lotus. It starred an Asian female assassin. Activision apparently told them to remove the female lead at which point the project was pushed aside. It was later resurrected under the name True Crime: Hong Kong with UFG as the developer, except it now starred a male cop.

The problem with Remember Me or remade Tomb Raider wasn't that they were female led, but rather there was problems surrounding everything else in the game.

Publishers want to push the blame on the female protagonist when in reality everything else was either too dated or not designed well enough and the female protagonist suffers because of it.

It's a crock of shit that gamers don't want female led games. Those people are the minority, not the buying majority.

Advent1s

Banned
I really want a GTA game with a female protagonist, it would be so interesting to see how Rockstar would take their image with regards to it.

The closest would probably be Sleeping Dogs. The story about it goes that the game was originally being developed by Treyarch under the name Black Lotus. It starred an Asian female assassin. Activision apparently told them to remove the female lead at which point the project was pushed aside. It was later resurrected under the name True Crime: Hong Kong with UFG as the developer, except it now starred a male cop.

Now if there was a game that could've done a female cop story, I would've be so down with it in Sleeping Dogs.

Dontnod is a great developer, so I'm glad they're finding success in their vision. I can hardly wait to play Life is Strange when it's complete! It's also nice that Square-Enix, as misguided as they may seem sometimes, can still make good decisions.

In the same vein as the OP, Dave Gilbert (developer of the Blackwell Series, which features a female protagonist) made a blog post about female protagonists and their supposed effect on sales; it's an interesting and illuminating read. It was in sorta in response to Ubisoft's big hulabaloo surrounding the animating of female characters.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
It's strange cause they get like 60-70% of dialogue right and then insert words like hella.

Hella is a hella cool word, for realsies.

I really want a GTA game with a female protagonist, it would be so interesting to see how Rockstar would take their image with regards to it.

GTA VI starring Catalina would be cool.

Now if there was a game that could've done a female cop story, I would've be so down with it in Sleeping Dogs.

This too. I generally like to play female characters in games where I get the choice because it's getting straight out boring to always have a dude as the main character at this point. Badass female cop would be really cool.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I had the same feeling.

Don't get me wrong, I have no doubt that publishers are resistant to games featuring female characters, and I don't doubt that the "games starring female characters don't sell" line has been given at some point, but the way this story is written feels a little too ideal from both a journalistic and PR standpoint.

Reminds me of the scene in Season 5 of The Wire where the editor calls out the anonymous quotes for sounding a little too good to be true.
uRANQ2T.jpg

Haha, bang on. Exactly what was coming to mind. These perfect back of the box quotes that just keep happening in real life somehow.

What has made it all the more eye-narrowing, is that they tried the exact same thing with Remember Me:
http://www.engadget.com/2013/03/20/publishers-rejected-remember-me-because-of-female-lead/
We get more phantom publisher villains that turned it down because of the female protag (never mind it was ditched ultimately by Sony coz it wasn't turning out too good) and even an added homophobic layer to that nameless, perfect villain. Please buy Remember Me, show them they're wrong.

Couple years on, no longer batting for Capcom, we get the exact same soundbytes for Life Is Strange. Now, see, there aren't actually that many publishers even left in the game these days, fewer still that don't have a female protag game of their own to point to. Now SquareEnix is the only pub with the balls to greenlight this female protag game, and its all boiled down to that easy "oh it wont sell becoz female" villainy angle again on all other pubs. Nevermind the "well, your last game sold like shit/played fairly shit so its probably a pass for us" reasoning, that don't make for the sweet positive 'diversity in games' PR interview. Now we have these past sinners showing repentance and hoping Dontnod change the industry.

The 'if it sounds like personal career fanfiction' bells, they are a'ringing.

Zolo

I think publishers are starting to realize this, but I don't really think this is the game doing it.

This is actually the perfect format of game for the company though as far as emulating Telltale goes. It doesn't cost as much as a 'AAA' game, so there's not as much risk, and they don't have to worry about people not buying over gameplay complaints like their last game.

This type of game has also already been shown to be really popular as shown by how well Telltale games are doing which also had a female lead in the second season of Walking Dead. Ultimately, it was a good and smart move for the company to make.

Chao

I do not know anything about this game , so I'm suexposure to learn about its huge? success. I live in this forum and never noticed this game. I know it's my own anecdotal evidence but I guess it will need a bit more of exposure before it changes the industry or anything.

Top Bottom