• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Good transitional games going from PC to console

KORNdoggy

i've been a console gamer all my life, which means i've slowly been introduced to analogue sticks naturally. and so they're second nature to me. but i have a friend who wants to play couch co-op games with me and he's a long time PC player. are there any good simple games that would help him get to grips with analogue stick us quickly, maybe games that arn't as frantic but still require similar movement to an FPS?. or is it just a case of picking a favorite FPS and playing through a few times, even if it might be a rough start for him?

potam

Banned
Has he literally never held a dual-stick controller? Either way, it's not going to be the most difficult thing in the world.

kionedrik

The tough love approach: Dark Souls

It's not an FPS but it can certainly help with getting used to the analogue sticks and the controller

Other than that any CoD can help.

I explained to a friend making a similar transition ages ago that generally the left stick was like wsad and the right stick was like the mouse, he said that helped.

Oxirane

What type of couch co-op games does he want to play?

Maybe try a twin stick shooter to get his thumbs use to the analogue sticks.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
You can tell them to try a controller on pc games they already have.
Honestly, I'm surprised this person hasn't done that yet, Pc gaming with a controller is beautiful. Do they only play starcraft or 4x stuff?

Dmented

Banned
IMO try 3rd person games. As a PC gamer that's the only time I feel comfortable with a controller. I just cannot get into FPS games with a controller. But I will always use a controller with 3rd person games, I hate KB/M for them.

which was mainly due to Input lag

Exactly why Killzone 2 is one of the absolute worst games I can think of to teach a PC gamer how to play on a console!

I'd say something like Halo or, as other people have said, Portal. Third person shooters are good ideas as well.

KORNdoggy

What type of couch co-op games does he want to play?

Maybe try a twin stick shooter to get his thumbs use to the analogue sticks.

he wants to play all sorts. from isometric action RPG's like diablo 3, to FPS's. he kinda struggles even with racers though, although it was his first time. and the last console he had was before analogue sticks, he's been a PC gamer since. playing mainly MMO's. he's quite out of the loop, but he wants that couch co-op experience.

we started playing some co-op over weekend and he did improve slightly, but he's quite a way off from playing borderlands or something without it frustrating him. maybe it's just a case of being patient and jumping in at the deep end with him.

MetalRain

Any FPS will do. Maybe singleplayer is easier at first. But in especially in new multiplayer games there are so many bad players that it won't be to hard to make some difference.

MADGAME

Which console? The Last of Us Remaster could be an option. The game requires stealth and calculated, methodical moving and planning. A lot of time is spent crouching behind cover listening to position enemies, moving to the next cover, etc. These movements will require right thumbstick movement to control camera and left stick for movement, all while being relatively safe from danger (in most circumstances) until you as the player are ready to make your move to start the action or encounter in-game. Additionally you don't have to use weapons, melee is a huge part of the game so the dependence on right-stick aiming can be minimal while the player gets acclimated to the controller.

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
Axiom Verge. Awesome 2D-metroidvania game. Can aim in all directions so both analog sticks are utilized. Not as difficult and immersive as a full 3D world with other players, so it's a good starting point.

SomTervo

Saints row the third. It's tons of mindless fun on co op and has pretty decent shooting.

Not what I would have thought of first, but this is a really good option.

In Halo 3 I forced my little cousin to chase after me in co-op to make him better at dual stick controls. I ran a really intricate path around the forest at the beginning of the game, telling him to keep on my heels. You get really immersed when you're chasing after someone, 'tag' style, and get used to controls quickly.

It was mainly due to the acceleration used while aiming.

Yes. Killzone 2 had very slow aim acceleration, it was nothing to do with 'input lag'.

Maybe I'm completely wrong, but I think the story went a little like this:

1. FPSs got big on PC in the 90's.
  2. Publishers wanted FPSs on console, because of less piracy.
  3. Early multi-platform shooters played like shit on console compared to the PC release.
  4. COVER BASED shooters became a big thing with Gears of War.
  5. Gamepad shooter-controls got better and many FPSs were made with consoles as their primary platform.
  6. People got better and more comfortable with these more sophisticated controls.
Looking at #4, maybe you and your friend should start with 3rd person shooters that have cover mechanics. Gears of War or Uncharted might be good. Then move on to slower FPSs with cover mechanics, then to faster FPSs.

hodgy100

Not what I would have thought of first, but this is a really good option.

In Halo 3 I forced my little cousin to chase after me in co-op to make him better at dual stick controls. I ran a really intricate path around the forest at the beginning of the game, telling him to keep on my heels. You get really immersed when you're chasing after someone, 'tag' style, and get used to controls quickly.

Yes. Killzone 2 had very slow aim acceleration, it was nothing to do with 'input lag'.

no the game also had a shit tonne of input lag... it wasn't just in movement acceleration. it was in actions you perform, shooting melee etc. The input lag and the intentional weightiness are separate things. the input lag just made the game feel unresponsive.

khaaan

Does it have to be a FPS or involve dual analog sticks?

Double Dragon Neon, New Super Mario Bros, Mario 3D World, and the Lego games are all fun.

Maybe I'm completely wrong, but I think the story went a little like this:

1. FPSs got big on PC in the 90's.
  2. Publishers wanted FPSs on console, because of less piracy.
  3. Early multi-platform shooters played like shit on console compared to the PC release.
  4. COVER BASED shooters became a big thing with Gears of War.
  5. Gamepad shooter-controls got better and many FPSs were made with consoles as their primary platform.
  6. People got better and more comfortable with these more sophisticated controls.
Looking at #4, maybe you and your friend should start with 3rd person shooters that have cover mechanics. Gears of War or Uncharted might be good. Then move on to slower FPSs with cover mechanics, then to faster FPSs.

You kind of got your steps mixed up. The dual stick FPS control scheme was well and truly set before Gears launched (see: Halo)

SomTervo

no the game also had a shit tonne of input lag... it wasn't just in movement acceleration. it was in actions you perform, shooting melee etc. The input lag and the intentional weightiness are separate things. the input lag just made the game feel unresponsive.

Now you mention it, I do remember there was a delay for hitting a button to do stuff - climb over walls, pick things up, etc.

Shit the bed

Top Bottom