• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chipotle Is Now 100% GMO-Free

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chipotle has removed all genetically modified ingredients from its restaurants, according to a report from The New York Times. Chipotle began labeling dishes that contained GMOs in 2013 and had planned to cut the ingredients out of the company supply chain by the end of 2014, but ultimately needed a few extra months to make the switch. The company is the first major fast food chain to entirely remove GMOs from its menus, spanning 1,831 different locations worldwide.

The Verge

EDIT: NYT Article

EDIT #2: I have noticed that almost all of you disagree with the Anti-GMO community.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
tumblr_n7zzpd30aZ1qzdfwko1_400.gif

SmokeMaxX

What's the problem with GMO-based foods again? Is it because it creates the illusion of franken-foods? GMO-based foods are (mostly) modified in ways that benefit us. Are GMO-foods more expensive? This isn't just a company spinning a financial decision is it?

Zophar

What's the problem with GMO-based foods again? Is it because it creates the illusion of franken-foods? GMO-based foods are (mostly) modified in ways that benefit us. Are GMO-foods more expensive? This isn't just a company spinning a financial decision is it?

Unfounded paranoia and a lucrative cottage industry based on fear and pseudoscience.

Wereroku

Is it going to make the food good though?

Not any more than it already is. All it will do is make their food more expensive due to the extra costs involved in purchasing non gmo seeds and the reduced harvest due to less effective pest control. In other words Non-GMO folk are the same as anti-vaxxers. Testing has shown them to be completely safe and the only valid reason i could see for not wanting them are because Monsanto are giant assholes.

Arkeband

Banned
Now when I have a hunger for really crappy burritos I can rest assured my DNA won't mutate into some kind of pork-bean hybrid!

GMO's aren't the problem, but GMO companies are often involved in legal fuckery that hurts farmers (the wind blew seeds into your plot! lawsuit lawsuit!) or they've done really creepy things like trying to patent pig DNA. Can you imagine if corporations owned specific breeds of dogs and you needed a license to own one or if they naturally bred you've infringed on their copyright? That's pretty much what they were trying to do with pigs.

So separating the beneficial results of their work from the stupid shit they do on the side is tough, in the scientifically ignorant court of public opinion.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Every food on Earth is GMO. Every living organism in the Cosmos is GMO.

gutshot

Thats how America buys it's food. The public is woefully uneducated in science and nutrition so they just buy based off what they think they like, and companies follow suit.

Aren't companies in Europe required to put a GMO label on all foods that contain genetically modified ingredients? Not sure it is fair to say this fear/mistrust of GMOs is an America only thing.

massoluk

Banned
Well, if you want to get technical, ordinary corn, wheat, and pork are genetically engineered also.

Fear mongering based decision. :\

Aren't companies in Europe required to put a GMO label on all foods that contain genetically modified ingredients? Not sure it is fair to say this fear/mistrust of GMOs is an America only thing.
Yes, for a good while the US was actually the ones looking good on an issue.

What's the problem with GMO-based foods again?
I don't believe anything at all.

I can't see how there would be, it's basically just taking years of selective breeding and skipping the middle man by just using technology to hit the same end goal. I'm pretty sure most GMO benefits could be achieved by selective breeding over several years/decades, but why bother?

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker

Noticeable problems are problems with the patents and ability for a seed to hopskip to another farmers land, the seed will likely be more resistant than the other crops and take over the land. The farmer could be brought to court over this.

Wereroku

Well the EU fell for it.

What the EU fell for is not science it's a form of protectionist policy. The farmers fight against GMO food because they don't want to have to buy the seeds and they can't compete against them without convincing people they are dangerous.

Noticeable problems are problems with the patents and ability for a seed to hopskip to another farmers land, the seed will likely be more resistant than the other crops and take over the land. The farmer could be brought to court over this.

The only major case I have seen on this actually proved that the farmer involved knew what he was doing. It wasn't an accident at all. It could happen but they have yet to bring someone up who was completely in the dark.

Cagey

Banned
Well the EU fell for it.

Fear of the Big Evil Corporate boogeyman is stronger and more widespread in the EU than it is in America, where it only occupies a part of the populace (the other part being terrified of Big Evil Government boogeyman).

Why are they proud of this?

It's fantastic for their corporate brand. Chipotle knows its consumer base, and understands that a large segment don't care either way, and a small segment care somewhat to a great deal about having GMO-free foods.

My eyes are rolling out of my head.

Literally any other anti-corporate environmental issue would be more important than GMOs, which are actually good. People need to stop wasting their time and energy on this and focus on monoculture, unsustainable water use, fertilizer runoff, overfishing, water pollution, air pollution... anything but fucking GMOs.

I can't believe people are happy over this.
Using non-GMO is just a marketing gimmick to increase prices :/
To the uniformed consumer it just looks like "Oh look, chipotle does care"

joe2187

Banned
It's fantastic for their corporate brand. Chipotle knows its consumer base, and understands that a large segment don't care either way, and a small segment care somewhat to a great deal about having GMO-free foods.

So what you're saying is the general Chipotle customer is an idiot?

That explains it.

Good, another decision based on fear instead of science and facts.

Many realize this is marketing - which is fine for Chipotle. What isn't fine is people ignoring the water and energy savings in producing GMO food. That's not to say all GMO food is free of criticism, however nobody would want some 100% GMO-free law applied to all foods if they knew the consequences.

Wereroku

This better not be why there's no more carnitas.

No there are no carnitas due to them being unable to find "ethically" sourced pork. Basically pigs are expensive to raise and most companies bred and raise them in pretty poor conditions because it's difficult to make a profit on them. They probably just can't find a source large enough to support the chain that falls within their guidelines.

Many realize this is marketing - which is fine for Chipotle. What isn't fine is people ignoring the water and energy savings in producing GMO food. That's not to say all GMO food is free of criticism, however nobody would want some 100% GMO-free law applied to all foods if they knew the consequences.

There really isn't any criticism for the food itself though it's perfectly safe. The criticism should focus on the companies selling it and how shitty they are. However due to our terrible patent system we don't have a lot we can do. Europe should just not allow the companies to act as they do here but instead they support the anti scientific protectionist movement.

Correct if I'm wrong, but organic fruit and veggies are actually more harmful, especially when not in season, because they have to spray them with a bunch of toxic shit to survive?

Stet

Banned

Most GMO seeds should have a terminator gene in them so the second generation of seeds don't proliferate, which makes this unlikely. Of course, they don't, because people thought it was yet another boogeyman.

I totally enjoy their chicken and Cheese Quesedilla regardless. But that's all I eat there.

BamfMeat

Correct if I'm wrong, but organic fruit and veggies are actually more harmful, especially when not in season, because they have to spray them with a bunch of toxic shit to survive?

uuuhhhhhhh

I thought that was the point of being "organic" - that they don't spray them with ANYTHING?

Sprayed with "natural" pesticides is fine, but not synthetic pesticides. Got it. Dumb.

No there are no carnitas due to them being unable to find "ethically" sourced pork. Basically pigs are expensive to raise and most companies bred and raise them in pretty poor conditions because it's difficult to make a profit on them. They probably just can't find a source large enough to support the chain that falls within their guidelines.

I'm oddly OK with this if their reasoning for not having it is because they're trying to get decently raised pigs.

While I will eat animals that aren't raised in the best of conditions, if I CAN get it from a place that doesn't treat the animals like shit, I'll do that first. I'm OK with being a hypocrite, since I'll eat the other meat, too.

There really isn't any criticism for the food itself though it's perfectly safe. The criticism should focus on the companies selling it and how shitty they are. However due to our terrible patent system we don't have a lot we can do. Europe should just not allow the companies to act as they do here but instead they support the anti scientific protectionist movement.

Including your point, criticisms would include impact on the bee population, lack of biodiversity, abuse of intellectual property laws. Again, GMO food isn't bad - production can be at times.

Stet

Banned
uuuhhhhhhh

I thought that was the point of being "organic" - that they don't spray them with ANYTHING?

They don't spray them with anything "synthetic". A lot of organic food is just sprayed with shitloads of "natural" pesticides that are actually worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom