• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How to get the old menu back in 8.1?

• Thread starter Deleted member 325805
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I'm on the tablet so searching is slow but everything I've found says you need a 3rd party app? I thought Microsoft added it in 8.1?

They added a start menu button that brings you to the metro UI... MS basically telling people complaining to fuck off. I use Start 8 and it's really good. The old start menu is coming back in Windows 10 if you can wait.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Fuck, I just installed 8.1 and thought it was an option. Headache inc.

dalVlatko

Classic shell is the simplest way to get it back. I installed it right when I installed windows 8.1 and haven't had to think about since.

I still don't get the complaints about not being able to have 17 folders nested inside each other as your launcher, but whatever.

I might get flack for this, but using a tablet, wouldn't Metro be the most intuitive way to use it? I thought that's what it's designed for.

DJ_Lae

I still don't get the complaints about not being able to have 17 folders nested inside each other as your launcher, but whatever.

Not sure either, to be honest. I have the same confusion over people who are still completely against the ribbon change in Office years back too.

Some of the charm stuff in Windows 8 is dumb but the start screen is fine. Maybe it's less of an issue using multiple monitors, though.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I might get flack for this, but using a tablet, wouldn't Metro be the most intuitive way to use it? I thought that's what it's designed for.

I meant I was posting from the tablet, 8.1 is on my PC. It took me 10 minutes to find Windows update lol.

I still don't understand how anybody could prefer the old Start menu over the new Start screen. The Start screen is so much better.

Seriously.

Personally I'm not a fan of the "baby's first OS" look that the start screen has but I can see the benefits of it. Either way, options are always a good thing.

I meant I was posting from the tablet, 8.1 is on my PC. It took me 10 minutes to find Windows update lol.

Ahhh gotcha.

Here's a pro-tip if you ever can't find something.
>Hit the Windows key on your keyboard.
>Start typing what you are looking for (In your example, Windows Update).
>Enter

I don't use ClassicShell because I'm more of a keyboard than mouse fella, and I find it much easier to navigate this way.

Hasney

Not sure either, to be honest. I have the same confusion over people who are still completely against the ribbon change in Office years back too.

Some of the charm stuff in Windows 8 is dumb but the start screen is fine. Maybe it's less of an issue using multiple monitors, though.

Probably. If you've only got one screen and no touch, there is no way I want to interrupt whatever I'm doing to do a full screen search when I can have it take up a fraction of the screen. It's a horrid experience.

Plus if somethings taking up my whole screen, I'd rather it not be ugly, which I find the homescreen to be.

That said, 8.1 is a damn fine OS with ClassicShell or Start8, so options are good.

This. Almost bought Start8 until I found an alternative that was just as good for free.

Ehh. Classicshell is awesome but I don't think it's as good as Start8. I use both regularly. I heartily recommend ClassicShell to those who are averse to paying the $5 for Start8, though.

I guess if there are people who have used the Start Menu, and ONLY the Start Menu, ever, I can see there being a few moments of confusion when you're still adjusting to being able to do damn near anything in the OS without even touching a mouse. But seriously, every bit of Windows 7 is in 8. Everything works almost exactly the same. You even still have your folders! You just need to make an extra click.

For anyone just getting Windows 8/.1, all you need to know is this: Windows + X. Done. You have everything you need.

Probably. If you've only got one screen and no touch, there is no way I want to interrupt whatever I'm doing to do a full screen search when I can have it take up a fraction of the screen. It's a horrid experience.

Plus if somethings taking up my whole screen, I'd rather it not be ugly, which I find the homescreen to be.

That said, 8.1 is a damn fine OS with ClassicShell or Start8, so options are good.

If you're opening up the start menu, you're already interrupting whatever you're doing. That doesn't make sense. You can't truly multitask.

And if the Start Screen is ugly, then what's the start menu? Because that thing was ugly as shit.

If you are searching ten minutes for Windows Update, try right mouse button on the start button btw, will give pretty much all the same options as in the Windows 7 menu but weithout the folders.

Hasney

If you're opening up the start menu, you're already interrupting whatever you're doing. That doesn't make sense. You can't truly multitask.

And if the Start Screen is ugly, then what's the start menu? Because that thing was ugly as shit.

I'm not covering up my video window which is the main thing. Start menu is ugly as sin, but it's an ugly corner rather than an entire ugly screen.
learn to use win 8.1 or get windows 7.
that or get windows 10.

Nah, the internals of the OS are great. Best to use 8.1 for now, but with classic shell or similar.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
How can I pin Windows update to the metro screen? It doesn't show up in the apps list and I don't want to have to search for it every time.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I'm still plodding on, most programs are installed but I have a question, how do I stop/remove these newly installed apps from appearing here? The A-Z is fine, I even like it but not all that junk on the right.

KtjGOeb.jpg

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Fuck it, installed classic shell. Too much sodding around with that new UI, I deleted the shortcuts to unclutter the apps menu and it stopped certain programs working, from just removing shortscuts which shouldn't happen. Under the hood it seems great, really snappy but the UI is just so unfriendly, at least to me.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Fuck it, installed classic shell. Too much sodding around with that new UI, I deleted the shortcuts to unclutter the apps menu and it stopped certain programs working, from just removing shortscuts which shouldn't happen. Under the hood it seems great, really snappy but the UI is just so unfriendly, at least to me.

Unfriendly? You can set it so that it behaves just like in Windows 7

DarkFlow

Banned
Just download Windows 10, it's in pretty good shape for daily use. I've been using it exclusively for 2 months with little problem.

Just customize your Start Screen. It's a pain in the ass but it's better in my opinion than installing some 3rd party shell extension.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Just customize your Start Screen. It's a pain in the ass but it's better in my opinion than installing some 3rd party shell extension.

What sent me over the edge was the cluttered apps section, there was uninstallers, text files and other junk that when removed caused issues, like my administrator tools were no longer found. I've never had a program stop working because I removed its start menu shortcut. I was actually warming to the start menu.

jambo

I don't see the need for tiles, shortcuts and app lists in Windows 8.1

I just hit Start and type whatever I need to launch or find.

I have about 5 shortucts on my Taskbar for my most heavily used programs, but nothing other than that.

What sent me over the edge was the cluttered apps section, there was uninstallers, text files and other junk that when removed caused issues, like my administrator tools were no longer found. I've never had a program stop working because I removed its start menu shortcut. I was actually warming to the start menu.

Yeah, the programs view is useless. Just use your customized screen. After you've removed all the Metro garbage, right click on the apps that you want and pick pin to start.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I just looked into this and it says it's free? You don't have to pay for it. Can you tell me why it's better than classic shell.

It's only a 30 day trial.

Use Classic Shell. Set it to Windows 7 start menu (or 9x) and "disable Metro on startup" and never look back.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
It's only a 30 day trial.

Use Classic Shell. Set it to Windows 7 start menu (or 9x) and "disable Metro on startup" and never look back.

Their site is misleading, it says it's free and donations are optional. They don't mention that it's a trial. I'll just stick with classic shell.

Instead of trying to get used to this garbage ass shit tier design, just put shortcuts to everything you need on the main start screen/taskbar and hold on for a few months until Windows 10.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom