• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Adam Wingard (Guest, You're Next) to direct DEATH NOTE

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a really interesting choice. I've enjoyed his past directing work and I did like Death Note when it was popular. I hope it turns out nicely, since it's a fantastic series bursting with potential.

optimiss

What if they make the Shinigami a figment of the protagonist's imagination?

Or if, taking it one step further, they throw in a bunch of mind-fuckery and never reveal whether the Shinigami was real or just a figment. As long as it doesn't end up being a lame Fight Club ripoff this could be a cool direction.

Fury451

Banned
This is a great choice. Not sure it needs another live action adaptation, but the director is solid IMO. I didn't care for You're Next at all though, ironically.

Fury451

Banned
I didn't care for The Guest but I loved You're Next. Am hype for this

This is fascinating to me, because when I talked with people who have seen both, they like one but not the other (myself preferring The Guest). Haven't come across someone who liked both yet.

Akahige

I'll take it over the I Saw the Devil remake for sure, but this film is I'll believe it when I see it type of thing since it's been in development for so damn long.

tomtom94

Am I the only person who noticed "produced by Masi Oka"?!

Anyway, I'm surprised this is still going on but since I've been enjoying watching the anime on Netflix very much, sure, sounds like a good choice.

oni_saru

I think he is absolutely the right guy do do this.
I loved You're Next, and The Guest was even better.

You're next is criminally underrated. Yeah it looks generic, but it is anything but.

A movie version of Death Note that trims the fat could be really great
Yeah i remember being completely surprised by You're Next. I went in expecting something like The Strangers but instead got such a different and neat surprise! Really enjoyed the movie!

You're Next is such a good film, so this makes me really happy to hear. Though Shane Black would have been just as exciting, mind.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
But we already have two very good Death Note live action films.

Nat Wolfe (The Fault In Our Stars), has apparently signed on to star in DEATH NOTE.
xr3ClWJ.jpg

Adam Wingard, the filmmaker behind indie genre gems such as The Guest and You’re Next, is making his studio helming debut with the project, which is being produced by Roy Lee, Dan Lin, Jason Hoffs and Masi Oka.

The story centers on a student who discovers a supernatural notebook that allows him to kill anyone by writing the victim's name and who then decides to cleanse the world of those he deems evil. As the student is tracked by a reclusive police officer, a cat-and-mouse game ensues.

I'll go ahead and be hesitantly excited for this. Wingard is great (Though The Guest is severely overrated), and he's the right person to adapt this concept. Haven't seen anything from Wolfe, though.

Nudull

Banned
I liked You're Next, but this is sounding like a disaster in the making. Death Note wasn't even that great.

Dram

I wonder what changes they'll make to the story? Maybe they'll change the Death Note from a notebook to an App instead?

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I'll bet the people who optioned Everything's Eventual are pissed.

near

Gold Member
Not really a huge fan of Wingard, would have preferred someone like Nicolas Winding Refn at the helm or even Matt Reeves. Oka as producer?! WTF is that about? They can completely make a mess of this or it'll be a decent to okay adaptation, I have no faith that they'll capture the essence of the manga.

I wonder what changes they'll make to the story? Maybe they'll change the Death Note from a notebook to an App instead?

Microsoft Surface Pro 3 with optional Type Cover and Microsoft Office 365 pre-installed.

*uses Surface Pen to write name of target*
*uses exclusive Office 365 formatting features to make his handwriting more legible*
*shares the file via OneDrive*
*starts a Skype call to taunt his nemesis*
*is interrupted by police pulling up, so he runs*
*pulls out his Lumia Windows Phone and uses Bing Maps to navigate to a hiding place*
*as the police run past him, he checks his heart rate on his Microsoft Band*
*goes home to play Forza Motorsport 6, exclusively on XBOX One*

*Title Card*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom