• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paper Mario (Wii U VC) |OT| Jr. Troopa Brings the Pain.. AGAIN!

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Easily the best Paper Mario title, love seeing others picking it up too :)

Really? Better than TTYD? I thought that was regarded as the undisputed best game of the series?

TTYD is the only one I've ever finished besides SNES Mario RPG. I enjoyed it. Paper Mario N64 doesn't look any different from it.

Meffer

Really? Better than TTYD? I thought that was regarded as the undisputed best game of the series?

TTYD is the only one I've ever finished besides SNES Mario RPG. I enjoyed it. Paper Mario N64 doesn't look any different from it.

Both Paper Mario and TTYD are fantastic in their own way.

The main thing TTYD has over PM64 is the improved battle mechanics, otherwise, some parts of its story drag on a bit while PM64's pacing is immaculate. You never spend too long in one chapter, each chapter is the appropriate length or length they need to be. And while the battle mechanics are technically inferior to TTYD (because TTYD is the sequel) they're still very good regardless and even despite TTYD's existence hold up extremely well.

Not many games that have sequels work out that way -- usually it's hard for people to go back to the first game after playing a sequel because they're used to the sequel's improvements. PM64 can stand all on its own despite TTYD's presence.

It's probably why I feel that even though TTYD improved on it in almost every area, that given how well rounded, and how it holds up extremely well (surprisingly), it's one of my contenders for a perfect game (keyword).

Wow, you share the exact same opinion as me. Chapter 2 in TTYD (the tree) is probably the part I hate the most about replaying the game. Having to blow the Punies is so irritating, and if you drop or miss one, have fun. I can see how Chapter 3 might not be to everyone's liking, but I think it is pretty good despite the large number of battles. I mean, it does introduce Yoshi, after all. Twilight Town is in the middle of enjoyable and not enjoyable. I first time i played it, I didn't read the bird telling me the guy's name, so I had to look up the name. I dislike the mystery forests in both Paper Mario games, so it doesn't help Twilight Town. The train also is pretty bad. It is an interesting concept, but it can take a long time to do if you forget what process, and it is boring, overall.

I also think the Moon overstays its welcome. Despite all of the shortcomings of TTYD, it is still an amazing game. I really like Paper Mario 64, and would probably rate it better than TTYD, but that is mostly due to nostalgia. It would be nice to have a remake or VC release of TTYD.

Chapter 4 onward is where everything really starts to overstay it's welcome, as well as show you that you knowing certain things means nothing to allevate the tedium within the chapter.

Best sequence in Paper Mario is the Crystal King/Palace arc by the way.

Especially since it has Penguins involved. But yeah. Loved this segment

My main issue with TTYD being considered the undespited best game is mainly due to the fact that given it's been years since we've gotten a Paper Mario in the same vein as the first two, that the issues some people in this thread have experienced gets glossed over. And given how Nintendo tends to take some criticisms to see what they can do for a "remake" or something, I probably wouldn't buy a TTYD remaster since it wouldn't really fix any niggling problems I have with it.

Granted I wouldn't buy a Paper Mario remaster (ala OoT3D) because I played it too much.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Chapter 4 onward is where everything really starts to overstay it's welcome, as well as show you that you knowing certain things means nothing to allevate the tedium within the chapter.

TTYD Chapter 6 is so good though. I always felt like 2 and 4 were the weak links of it, 4 especially due to the backtracking. Still love the game though.

I would kill for a standard ass new Paper Mario.

Easily the best Paper Mario title, love seeing others picking it up too :)

Agreed. Doesn't get enough credit for being the one true, Mario RPG successor.

TTYD was great, but I feel like it was trying to do a bit too much. I like the elegant simplicity of Paper Mario 64.

But Super Paper Mario is the best one.

HAHA-GIF.gif

DooD1234

Oh hey, this coming out tomorrow? Guess I'm paying for the upgrade fee and finally beat this. Never beat this despite getting this free from club Nintendo a while ago and I have played and beaten Thousand Year Door, sticker star, and all of the M&L games. Should be a fun romp. I hope there no tutorials to harass me every step of the way though.

flohen95

Nothing is undisputed when there are many people involved.

Personally, I think TTYD is far superior to Paper Mario 1 (and happens to be my favourite game of all time), for a variety of reasons. But what it ultimately comes down to is that both games are amazing and that I likely prefer TTYD because it was the one I played first, which I imagine was the other way around for most people that prefer PM1.

Regarding Super Paper Mario, I wouldn't even really view it as part of the same series. Y'know, like Mario Bros. and Super Mario Bros. It's not like we really go around comparing those games, do we. I think SPM is a fantastic game in its own right, it just doesn't do what most people wanted from it, which was sticking to the formula of the two games before it.

Sticker Star, though, is the only PM game I haven't finished yet. I wouldn't say its bad, it just doesn't really stand out much.

Anyway, as for the game itself, I'm probably gonna use the chance to upgrade and play through it again. Looking forward to that.

Crayolan

I didn't even know this was re-releasing on VC. Good.

Everyone should play Paper Mario, it's a great game. Then if you like it, go find a copy of TTYD and play that cause that's a fucking amazing game.

And if you don't like it, what's wrong with you?

SalvaPot

We all know the Mario & Luigi games are better than the Paper Mario.

But if I was a reviewers, all the games would get a perfect 10.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Whoa cool, I've never played this. I can't believe how gorgeous it is! Too bad the N64 didn't have more games in that style.

TTYD Chapter 6 is so good though. I always felt like 2 and 4 were the weak links of it, 4 especially due to the backtracking. Still love the game though.

I would kill for a standard ass new Paper Mario.

Well that much is true.

Although the extra bits I would include was Chapter 5, where you're forced to retread the island several times just so you can finally enter the cave. Only to go back to the island, and sit through 100 dialogue boxes just so you can move on with your life. A joke that was funny initially but just becomes a chore the more you play through.

Lets not forget finding General White in Chapter 7

nah, search your heart. you know the words I speak ring true

Coming back to SPM made some of the dialogue funnier than intended due to the general rife of buzzwords in the community.

But I think I won't bother going back to it. The design really feels like it's at odds with itself to the point that it's simply unsatisfying both as an RPG and a platformer.

Converse

Banned
Completely forgot this was hitting tomorrow, thanks for the reminder, OT. I will definitely be paying $2 to upgrade to the Wii U version -- haven't played it since the N64 (I redeemed it as a Club Nintendo reward on Wii in anticipation of transferring it to Wii U).

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Played this for the first time in 2007 on the Wii VC. This game convinced me that maybe I was wrong about RPG's and they were for me after all. Then I played other RPG's and it turned out I was right the first time and Paper Mario was just so damn good that I loved it even though I hate the genre.

TTYD > PM64 > RPG > All the M&L stuff

But they are all fucking amazing so whatever. (Just the last 2 Paper Mario games suck)

Played this for the first time in 2007 on the Wii VC. This game convinced me that maybe I was wrong about RPG's and they were for me after all. Then I played other RPG's and it turned out I was right the first time and Paper Mario was just so damn good that I loved it even though I hate the genre.

Tell me you played TTYD, also what "other" RPGs did you play?

bumpkin

I'm so upgrading my Wii VC version tonight.

Fun Fact; TTYD was the first video game that me and my now-wife played through together; she usually handed over the controller when we got to a boss. I think we'll have to do it with the original. It seems only fitting!

jnWake

for real though

Koopa Bros. Theme is godlike.

This game has an awesome soundtrack. I've done some remixes of it but I can't share them because they're supposed to be in a project (that I have no idea if it'll ever come out haha). Koopa Bros is one of those tracks actually!

Anyway, this game is one of my all time faves and I haven't played it in years, so I'm excited.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I have a surplus of coins, so best thing to do is buy it for 250 coins, redeem, then upgrade for $2 for the Wii U version right?

Kadin

Any word on the size? Budgeting my Wii U capacity since I don't plan to get an external HD for it.
151.1 MB

So what's the deal with the original manual and it being so.... slow? I open it up and as I scroll to read it, it takes a bit of time to actual load it. Then when I zoom in to actually read it, it seems to have to load it again. Is this just the way it works? Figured it would be more seamless like the normal 'manual' when you press the Home button.

edit: Oh wait, I think I see what's going on. Apparently it's not stored locally, just being streamed via a webpage.

Revven

You guys gotta buy this, it's such a good game. The input isn't impeding my pulling off any moves.

Yeah there doesn't appear to be any notable input delay like people reported with SM64 and to some extent DK64. PM64 might possibly have better emulation? I should note I am using the Pro Controller, haven't tried the GamePad.

Kadin

Yeah there doesn't appear to be any notable input delay like people reported with SM64 and to some extent DK64. PM64 might possibly have better emulation? I should note I am using the Pro Controller, haven't tried the GamePad.
I haven't noticed it playing on the gamepad but then again, I honestly didn't notice it with SM64 either.

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
As much as I love TTYD, I love the original Paper Mario even more. It isn't nostalgia, either. I generally prefer the characters and story of the first one as opposed to the second one.

Slevin

Hands down my favorite portion of this game is Dry Dry Desert. I love the way the desert is set up and the many secret areas, as well as the mystery solving story you go through.

Both Paper Mario and The Thousand Year Door are awesome games and probably some of my favourite games ever. I feel so lucky to own a (still pristine) copy of PM64 from way back when, since it was such an incredibly rare game thanks to its limited production run. Personally I prefer the second one as it's a bit more refined and I think it has aged more nicely, but the first game is still freakin' fantastic. I love the fact both games are similar yet quite different in their own ways. But I find TTYD has a certain confidence that can be seen in its storytelling, presentation and even its music compared to PM64. It's so sad Nintendo/Int Sys never kept a good thing going though. I heartily recommend everyone gives this game a shot.

Super Paper Mario was conceived as Gamecube spin-off game and shoehorned onto the Wii, so its existence doesn't offend me too much.

I won't even touch Sticker Star with a barge pole; a dagger through my heart.

Top Bottom