• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CS:GO is Hard as Fuck to Be "Decent" At

Zombine

Banned
I was console only and I've found myself in bizarro land. I was great at Counter Strike almost instantly and bad at COD on PC. I can't really get used to the key placement on PC for COD.

Overdoziz

Banned
2 weeks?
boo.png

200 hours in and I still wonder where my AK bullets go sometime. Best advice learn the spray patterns then just DM DM DM until you fell comfortable.

I pumped probably two or three thousand hours into 1.6 and CSS over my childhood/teens, I rarely dominate a match but usually get positive KDR in CS:GO. Only played Go, itself, for tens of hours though.

ShinMaruku

It may be a little daunting, but given CS's explosive growth again I'd say it is hard to argue it is *too* alienating. It's one of the most played games in the industry right now, second most played game on Steam, practically the biggest online FPS on PC outside of Crossfire (Chinese F2P thing), it's far from only fun for pro players.
I think it's explosive growth is more to it's something spectators love to watch. Not sure if the number of people is in the tens of millions but I find it the perfect example of finding your niche and being profitable.

Me personally I see that like Tekken I'd need a Master Thesis to get through so I said "Fuck it, may the people who love it have fun, but taking that amount of time to reach ground level is not worth my time."

watership

I've been playing this for the last 2 weeks about 2-3 hours a day after work, and I still suck ass. I think I've gone positive about 5 times out of a dozens and dozens of matches. When does this shit start "clicking"?

It doesn't help that the community is ...the worst. I'd rather play League of Legends poorly and get screamed at for 20 mins than play CS again.

Zero2kz

About to pass 900 hours in CS:GO with no previous CS experience. I am Global Elite (but getting GE now is easy as poop because of recent ban waves). I would say I am more Supreme level at most, on a good day.

If you are going to play DM, try the Fragshack servers. They are 128 tick and generally have a lot better players in them compared to regular valve DM.

eMpTy23

I think it's explosive growth is more to it's something spectators love to watch. Not sure if the number of people is in the tens of millions but I find it the perfect example of finding your niche and being profitable.

I'm always really curious to know how many people actually watch CS:GO. At those majors, which one recently hit 1 million concurrent viewers, how many people were actually watching?

I mean, I had three accounts watching to get drops. I had these accounts open for the entire tournament, but I only watched the semis and finals. One of my friends had seven accounts watching, but he wasn't actually watching. Pretty much everyone I know had two accounts watching, but most people didn't actually watch the games. They just did something else.

The growth definitely has more to do with skins and betting rather than the game itself IMO. I don't think anyone can really argue that GO is better than 1.6 or Source.

ShinMaruku

I'm always really curious to know how many people actually watch CS:GO. At those majors, which one recently hit 1 million concurrent viewers, how many people were actually watching?

I mean, I had three accounts watching to get drops. I had these accounts open for the entire tournament, but I only watched the semis and finals. One of my friends had seven accounts watching, but he wasn't actually watching. Pretty much everyone I know had two accounts watching, but most people didn't actually watch the games. They just did something else.

The growth definitely has more to do with skins and betting rather than the game itself IMO. I don't think anyone can really argue that GO is better than 1.6 or Source.

Betting and skins are a large part and the world is a very populous place, it's probably a mix of skins betting and some people actually enjoying it. I think there is probably 200-400k people who just generally watch competitive gaming.

Hopey

I still suck but I am way better than I was when I started. Its down to getting a feel for the recoil and controlling it properly, at least that is what I think.

cheststrongwell

my cake, fuck off
I bought it day one. I've played around 400 hours in competative and I'm still stuck in silver. I'm having fun, but I just don't have the hand-eye coordination I did when I was younger.

The community can also be pretty rough. I like smack talk, but I'd imagine someone that doesn't wouldn't last long.

Kambing

I recently stopped playing Dota 2 as that shit was far too addicting lol. My mates and i moved over to cs go.

Calibrated at gold nova 2 and curently am ranked the 2 AK symbol. Probably have 50 matches under my belt.

I dont know, i feel like if you were decent at cod or bf (reaction time and aim), after learning the game sense of cs you should do pretty okay.

I sucked the first 15 games, but my friends carried me lol. It all clicked for me when i changed my mentality from "push push push ... Rush rush rush" to "patience, calculated moves".

But from a beginners POV, i think what helped me most was:

- playing with friends/team of 3-4 to learn the lingo
- getting to see friends POV when dying to mimic play style
- start using grenades lol
- communication and headphones
- master ONE map first
- dont spray if you dont know recoil pattern
- ask teammate if buying or saving

Honestly now that i think about it, half the game is aeriously mastering the map. Of the 50 games i played i am sure 45 have been on dust 2. I normally get 1-3 spot at end of game. But put me in a map i know idea of and i fucking feed and suck.

So my top recommendations are play with friends and master ONE map first.

Hit me up if you wanna party sometime with my friends and i i would not mind!

Bishop89

It's just one of those things where you're either goo or not. When I first played cs around 15 years ago, I wasn't the best but I wasn't bad either. Didn't take that long for me to get really good though, but back then I lived and breathed cs, soooo.... Just like everything else in life though, practice makes perfect

Fugu

I think this is hyperbole. The more accurate statement is that modern FPSes have such a low skill floor (and a high propensity for variance due to huge bullet spreads and shit like killstreaks) that people aren't used to games that do even a half-decent job of representing player skill. I mean shit, CS used to be the low execution game.

FPSes take practice. Play with your brain, turn down your sensitivity (if you are using a high DPI mouse, it is probably a factor of ten too high), concentrate on aiming.

Or just play Quake for a few months. After that, CS'll be a breeze.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Not so much you suck at it probably, its that you are playing against addicts that have hundreds of hours on it. Some of these games arent friendly at all to new players and so if your employed and dont have the time to live in the game its more fun to just play something else with those precious hours.

Once you start getting good, then you realize your team sucks. Then you'll be stuck in Silver 4 and can never get out making you the most MVP. Then I say fuck it and play something else.

My CSGO experience.

Druz

CS gives you a killer instinct that you can bring into any game and be good at it. If you suck, you just haven't hit it yet. 1.5..4lyfe

About going positive or negative: don't worry and forget it. Pros don't even go positive all the time. It's about how you work as a team and secure the win. If you can give calls and score a couple of kills, you'll naturally get better.

I'm at about 1500 hours I think and I've barely cracked Master Guardian Elite. I played for two years, and for half of that on a shitty laptop that ran the game at 30fps. Keep at it, you'll get better if you want to.

impact

Banned
It's actually pretty easy compared to 1.6 due to the much lower skill ceiling

Though I can see it being tough if you came from CoD, BF, TF2, etc instead of CS
Once you start getting good, then you realize your team sucks. Then you'll be stuck in Silver 4 and can never get out making you the most MVP. Then I say fuck it and play something else.

My CSGO experience.
If you're stuck in silver I recommend some practice. No reason anyone who doesn't have a mental disability should be a silver rank.

I mean a dude plays with no hands and he's DMG...

Haroon

I've been playing this for the last 2 weeks about 2-3 hours a day after work, and I still suck ass. I think I've gone positive about 5 times out of a dozens and dozens of matches. When does this shit start "clicking"?

Having a better monitor (120 or 144hz) will help you quite a bit. In addition to that a better mouse, and a mouse pad will increase your accuracy (monitor is the biggest upgrade though). After that, it's all about how much time you spend into improving yourself.

You could get better by playing the game, but that will take you a very long time. The alternative is to look up the basics on YouTube, and invest some time outside of the game to understand the depth of the game (crosshair placement, map layout, fine tuning your sensitivity, etc...).

I'll never be "good" because I refuse to lower my sensitivity. I think if you do the math, I'm 11 times higher sens than recommended.

Its something I wish I corrected years ago but now I don't want to play moving the mouse 6+ inches every second.

Currently at GN2 but I was dragged down by friends for months and then other 50% of my playtime is randoming which is recipe for disaster.

Oh well, I still love it.

cris7198

My CSGO experience.

But when you finally get out of Silver hell....
yCMwVpu.gif

IMACOMPUTA

I find Nova 4 - MG ranks to be the most troublesome. There's a hump there where your team varies so much. Just played 3 games in a row where i had some of the worst teammates I've ever seen. It's gonna be hard to rank up from here :/

Head.spawn

I've been playing on and off since the game (the original) came out and I'm still not anywhere close to being great.

You have to play a ton. Some of the pro's put in work shifts (8hrs) just for practice.

I was S4/SME for 400 hours, I finally got to GN and I was dominating the other Novas. Like 2:1 KD and sometimes 3:1 KD ratio. I advanced to GN2 after 2 games. I'm riding a high right now I hope continues, but with CS you never know.

If you're stuck in silver I recommend some practice. No reason anyone who doesn't have a mental disability should be a silver rank.

I mean a dude plays with no hands and he's DMG...

Practice won't help when I end up in a team that doesn't understand the very basics of Counter Strike five times in a row. Using mics doesn't help because they don't understand any call outs other than learning where the enemies are. Like I said on my original post, I end up being top of my team in almost every game I played even doing better than the opposing side.

Perfec7_

Neo Member
I'm currently at 300ish hours and just got Eagle solo-queing.

Honestly, if you watch enough videos, lower your sens, make sure you have a fairly adequate mouse/mousepad/keyboard, it's not that bad.

I still need to improve a shitload, but with enough practice and a good setup, you should easily be able to rank at least at AK/Double-AK.

Perfec7_

Neo Member
Practice won't help when I end up in a team that doesn't understand the very basics of Counter Strike five times in a row. Using mics doesn't help because they don't understand any call outs other than learning where the enemies are. Like I said on my original post, I end up being top of my team in almost every game I played even doing better than the opposing side.

If you're constantly top fragging and playing well, it's not hard to get out of Silver. I've played by myself exclusively, and there were matches where I went 30-10 and pretty much forced our team to win.

What sensitivity are you using? How many hours?

udiie

I'm currently at 300ish hours and just got Eagle solo-queing.
Honestly, if you watch enough videos, lower your sens, make sure you have a fairly adequate mouse/mousepad/keyboard, it's not that bad.
I still need to improve a shitload, but with enough practice and a good setup, you should easily be able to rank at least at AK/Double-AK.

ive played with you a couple times, once with gaf and once matched up through mm
*i remembered your username from the time we played
why not queue with some of us?

There must've been some drama with a pro player and meth in the past few months since I've last checked into CS:GO, explain?

there wasnt, hes just acting like cs requires some sort of inhuman twitch skills (it doesnt)

Madness

Good multiplayer games are easy to enjoy, but a challenge to master. I find that Counterstrike in all it's forms is not easy to enjoy. So it's kind of alienating for new players.

I'm not a fan of games that are only fun for pro players .

Eh, I'm sure they're doing well without you. Counterstrike is one of the top played games. It can't be too alienating if it's one of the most played FPS in the world. I love the fact it doesn't pander to the lowest common denominator. Halo is a babies game now. I'm not even a pro player, a good player, but I hate how much handholding is in FPS games now. No blue shell mentality in FPS anymore please. That's what Call of Duty especially became.

jerry113

Banned

Get a microphone and communicate with your team. When you die, tell your teammates where the enemy was.

CS is not really about twitch shooting or precision. Well it is, but map awareness and player position awareness are much more important! Once you learn the map you'll be able to predict the locations and times at which enemies are likely to pop out of. Pay attention to your minimap!

This is assuming you're playing ranked matchmaking.

Also, don't let griefers or trolls get you down. I find that the occasional bad game is always overshadowed by the amazing ones

edit:

Well, mechanics do play a part too. It helps if you learn the spray patterns of the most popular guns. And practice flicking your screen away really quickly when a flashbang comes your way.

. Oh, and press the shift button to walk (when it's appropriate). Sound is a huge part of the game. Footsteps are loud in this game.

Perfec7_

Neo Member
ive played with you a couple times, once with gaf and once matched up through mm
*i remembered your username from the time we played
why not queue with some of us?

there wasnt, hes just acting like cs requires some sort of inhuman twitch skills (it doesnt)

I haven't played with any GAF people in a while. I used to be terrible when I started, but I'm adequate now. Add me on Steam and inv me some time. Steam: Perfec7

After reading most of the posts so far CS:GO sounds like the opposite of fun. I've often considered jumping in. Then I read comments that make it sound like you have to dedicate your life to it like a full time job...just so u can hopefully not suck ass quite as badly against "pro" players who seemingly have the game jacked into their frontal cortex & temporal lobes 24/7.

If you're constantly top fragging and playing well, it's not hard to get out of Silver. I've played by myself exclusively, and there were matches where I went 30-10 and pretty much forced our team to win.

What sensitivity are you using? How many hours?

230 hours. I have my sensitivity set to max and use the 4:3 widescreen to get a bigger view on who I'm shooting. I don't have any issue with aiming other than my Ping being in the 60s and really can't do anything about it other than switching ISP.

Top Bottom